4 hours ago, kajnrig said:

On another note, I'm leaving Mission 14 alone for now and trying - dear GOD, am I trying - to S Rank Mission 9, which I think is an even more impossible task. That's the one where you can't go above the clouds or a satellite-guided missile will take you out. On Ace difficulty, with the right equipment, you can take three hits in quick succession before dying, or multiple hits if enough time passes between the second and third hits. But the mission is just such a pain all around. The time bonus seems really generous this mission, though, and I managed to get an A even without shooting down EVERY single enemy in the first half, so maybe I can just be patient and really make sure I take everything out.

For mission 14 I used the Su-47 with dumb bombs and upgrades for the bomb damage and area of effect. Getting through the canyon quick is good but the best way to get a big time bonus is blowing up the base quick and staying on top of any ground reinforcements that pop up so the helo force can take it over faster.

I had a lot of trouble with mission 9 as well, finally got it with the F-35 maxed out for taking damage and 8agm with special missile perks. I destroyed most of the ground targets on the way to the final tgt then used the time between when the missiles stop and when the cutscene starts to shoot down the ace and a few other ground targets. Good luck!

Finished the AC5 campaign with both of the A-routes.  Started a new SP campaign to do the B-routes.  12B still sucks, but not as bad as I remember.  I just used and F/A-18, used afterburners until the LASM could get a lock, then fired when Edge got to 5 on the countdown.

Also started AC6 on the Xbox One.  Nowhere near as bad as Assault Horizon, but I'm starting to remember what I didn't like about it.  Definitely the worst of the proper numbered games in the series.

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

Finished the AC5 campaign with both of the A-routes.  Started a new SP campaign to do the B-routes.  12B still sucks, but not as bad as I remember.  I just used and F/A-18, used afterburners until the LASM could get a lock, then fired when Edge got to 5 on the countdown.

Also started AC6 on the Xbox One.  Nowhere near as bad as Assault Horizon, but I'm starting to remember what I didn't like about it.  Definitely the worst of the proper numbered games in the series.

I hope you've remembered to go dance with the angels, mister!

Warning for PC users hoping to use a HOTAS setup - there is currently a bug that prevents use of many flightsticks with the game (including, initially, the official Thrustmaster tie-in sticks - this is apparently fixed now). At least, its claimed its a bug, others are claiming that Bandai/Namco and Thrustmaster are telling you to go fly with the angels, mister!:

(PCs being PCs, there will probably be a fan workaround made in the next 24 hours that resolves the issue anyway... )

:

Edited by F-ZeroOne

3 hours ago, F-ZeroOne said:

Warning for PC users hoping to use a HOTAS setup - there is currently a bug that prevents use of many flightsticks with the game (including, initially, the official Thrustmaster tie-in sticks - this is apparently fixed now). At least, its claimed its a bug, others are claiming that Bandai/Namco and Thrustmaster are telling you to go fly with the angels, mister!:

(PCs being PCs, there will probably be a fan workaround made in the next 24 hours that resolves the issue anyway... )

Given the history that PC ports of console flight games have, this surprises me less than 0%.  It's almost a pre-requisite that any console port of games that use fancy peripherals just flat-out will not work as intended on the PC.

Is this like the HAWX bug that forced you to unplug rudder pedals because the game couldn't comprehend that many control axes? :rolleyes: 

Edited by Chronocidal

6 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

How much do HOTAS peripherals help and/or improve gameplay? Are they just the same controls as a gamepad mapped onto a more realistic-looking form factor, or...?

Can't comment on AC7, but I had the flight stick bundle for AC5.  I thought it was harder to play with than the regular controller. *shrugs*

6 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Also what does HOTAS stand for?

Hands On Throttle And Stick.  It refers to the modern convention of putting all the important switches, buttons, and controls on the throttle lever and the flight control stick instead of on a dashboard, so the pilot has access to what he needs without taking his hands off the throttle and stick.

Edited by mikeszekely

14 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Can't comment on AC7, but I had the flight stick bundle for AC5.  I thought it was harder to play with than the regular controller. *shrugs*

I was fine back in the day with the D-pad on AC3 but I'm having a hard time with the analog joysticks on the standard PS4 controller. It's just too jiggly for me and I'm having a hard time making accurate control inputs.  I'm going to try out the T.Flight Hotas 4 flight stick and see if having a complete stick in the hand results in better control than the small joystick under my thumb. Unfortunately, it seems I'm going to have to wait several weeks as Amazon is out of stock.

I originally bought mine for "Elite: Dangerous"(which I never did play that much in the end, just didn't have time to learn to fly a spaceship... :)) and it certainly made a difference there, but then the general opinion is that a flightstick was pretty much a requirement for that game...

On 1/28/2019 at 5:31 PM, dizman said:

For mission 14 I used the Su-47 with dumb bombs and upgrades for the bomb damage and area of effect. Getting through the canyon quick is good but the best way to get a big time bonus is blowing up the base quick and staying on top of any ground reinforcements that pop up so the helo force can take it over faster.

I had a lot of trouble with mission 9 as well, finally got it with the F-35 maxed out for taking damage and 8agm with special missile perks. I destroyed most of the ground targets on the way to the final tgt then used the time between when the missiles stop and when the cutscene starts to shoot down the ace and a few other ground targets. Good luck!

I'm way behind you guys.  The kids keep monopolizing the PS4, especially with the recent Kingdom Hearts new release or something.

Anyway, yeah. Just completed mission-10 after about three or four tries on it.  Could not believe the special plane could stand repeated hits from me and I  always ended up hitting the time-limit every time. Finally figured out to just let that damn special plane eat as much 8AAMs as I can spam it with when it played its chicken game on me. Guess its "armor" could not stand more than two headon missile hits directly.

As for Mission-9, I used the Mig-29 again with LAGMs. Kinda funny endo-ing into the clouds every time a missile alert gets triggered.

On 2/1/2019 at 7:34 PM, kajnrig said:

How much do HOTAS peripherals help and/or improve gameplay? Are they just the same controls as a gamepad mapped onto a more realistic-looking form factor, or...?

Also what does HOTAS stand for?

I've only used a HOTAS setup on the PC. I don't think it improves gameplay, but It can give you some sort of immersive satisfaction compared to the usual kb/mouse or even a gamepad setup. Especially if you have a complete set: JS, throttle, foot-pedals.  The flight-sim blokes can and usually go really crazy on HOTAS stuff.

That said, I've yet to try to use a HOTAS on a console.  I still have the old TM T-Flight, but it currently doesn't work with the PS/4.  Not really sure I want to spring for the specific PS/4 version right now, tho.

10 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Ending spoilers:

Hide contents

tl;dr - Kei Nagase and Pilgrim One were on a deep space mission to the asteroid belt to destroy/divert a second Ulysses-sized asteroid headed for Earth.

https://www.aclighthouse.com/articles/pilgrim-1-silent-savior

ah yeah just done last mission and was the scene and that familiar name pop up.

I'm all for that Wyvern. But I gotta say, I was disappointed in some of the revisions made to the original, namely the missile bay. Instead of the simple doors of the redesign, the original had this wonderfully ridiculous mechanism where the entire back half of the nacelles swings down on articulated arms, then retract once the missiles fire. It matches the rest of the design's overengineered design ethos. Later games had those bays opening only upon firing, but I remember in AC4 they would open the moment you were in firing range, so you could potentially be flying with these big goofy missile bays perpetually hanging down from your undercarriage. It's great.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

New trailer is out for the DLC planes and I'm a little disappointed in the choices to be honest, I guess the idea was to show the history of the ADF series. Oh well it'll be fun to have the FAEB and MPBM back to blow up everything.

4 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Here's a wild idea.. why can't anyone finish a game before it's released anymore?   

Turn everything into a subscription model for non-stop cashflow.. yeesh. <_< 

buygame.jpg.32a0c4b238e9be3787860b04f8d1704f.jpg

That ship sailed a long time ago unfortunately, now you need to have a business plan past pre order and initial sales or the producers won't give you the time of day. The last "big" game to try an everything will be included in the price of the game with free DLC later was Titanfall 2 and in the end Respawn Entertainment ran out of money and had to be bought by EA.

I still think AC7 came out good after it's long development hell and I'd even say its a finished game without any of the upcoming DLC. Course we don't know anything about the 3 story missions that are coming up so my opinion may change if they are integral to AC7s main story or just a side story.

The only thing all of the DLC nonsense in the past years has taught me is to wait until the "complete" collection of any game comes out years later, and bypass the pile of extra payments you have to make to get the stuff early.

Fortunately, I can wait until sometime during the PS5 era to get this one, since they've mentioned they're keeping PS4 games playable on it.  I'm probably going to bypass the PS4 entirely due to this.

Edited by Chronocidal

• 4 weeks later...