To add to David's reply, it also depends on which service the aircraft is with.  I think the F-16 has a unique wingtip Sidewinder rail mount, but at least legacy Hornet models all used the LAU-7 launcher, which I think has been in use since at least Vietnam, on a variety of platforms.

Over time, I think the actual launch rails have become more standardized across multiple platforms (though the Navy and Air Force might have custom variants).  What differs at the platform level are the actual pylons hanging under the wing that the rails mount to, since they're often aerodynamically tailored for specific aircraft.

Until internal weapons bays become more widely used though, anything internally mounted is probably going to be a one-off design specifically for that aircraft.  Stealth aircraft also throw other sorts of wrenches in the works, because they may want individualized external rails that minimize the radar signature of external weapons.  The F-35 has a new custom rail design that apparently supports AIM-9Xs or AIM-120s, as well as the UK's AIM-132 ASRAAM.

If you really want to dig into the nuts and bolts of how weapon mounts work, check out http://marvingroup.com/  They're a major supplier of mounting components and pylons. 

So I forgot but to get AC5 you have to just preorder this right? It's not part of any other special edition?

I'm cautiously excited. I like the upgrade system from the PSP/Infinity games but wish the actual CG model per plane would reflect those upgrades. I'm worried about a short campaign or a boring prolonged campaign(AC6). I really liked the PSP games and preferred them over Assault Horizon.

I've enjoyed this series since AC2, main missteps being the US version of AC3 with substantial substance cut out and Assault Horizon. I enjoyed AH but felt it would've worked better in the arcades or as a F2P game. Seemed like Namco was trying to bank on immediate thrillseeking to emulate an experience from COD.

Not surprisingly, I did see a game by Bandai at Dave and Busters that's seems to use the same engine as AH and you get to use the CFA44 Nosferatu.

1 hour ago, Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0 said:

So I forgot but to get AC5 you have to just preorder this right? It's not part of any other special edition?

I'm cautiously excited. I like the upgrade system from the PSP/Infinity games but wish the actual CG model per plane would reflect those upgrades. I'm worried about a short campaign or a boring prolonged campaign(AC6). I really liked the PSP games and preferred them over Assault Horizon.

I've enjoyed this series since AC2, main missteps being the US version of AC3 with substantial substance cut out and Assault Horizon. I enjoyed AH but felt it would've worked better in the arcades or as a F2P game. Seemed like Namco was trying to bank on immediate thrillseeking to emulate an experience from COD.

Not surprisingly, I did see a game by Bandai at Dave and Busters that's seems to use the same engine as AH and you get to use the CFA44 Nosferatu.

Preordering any PS4 edition gets you AC5, preordering any Xbone edition gets you AC6.

1 hour ago, Sildani said:

Where will it be sold, please?

You mean the soundtrack? I'd guess the usual places like iTunes since they have the soundtracks for AC2, 5 and Zero. Course they may wait a bit to release it so people will buy the music player add on for AC7.

On 1/14/2019 at 12:31 AM, AN/ALQ128 said:

Can't believe its only 5 days away. It feels like a decade since 7 was announced back in 2015.

Us lucky Europeans get it on Friday. (Possibly Thursday if my supplier manages their usual "day early" delivery) :)

https://www.facebook.com/AceCombatAmericas/videos/233858537541528/

https://www.facebook.com/AceCombatAmericas/videos/401042933772383/

EDIT:

Also, not coincidentally, AC6 has been added to the Xbone's backwards compatibility list along with some other games. I'd be interested in seeing if the XbOX enhances it at all the way it does with some other games, like rendering at 4K, forcing anisotropic filtering, etc.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-adds-new-backwards-compatible-game-today/1100-6464432/

Edited by kajnrig

Preordered the regular digital edition, both Ace Combat 5 and 7 are queued for download.  Thought about the digital deluxe, but without knowing what's in the season pass I wasn't dropping the extra $25.  For all I know it's a bunch over overpriced Idolmaster skins like AC6. <_<

https://www.facebook.com/AceCombatAmericas/videos/366732963878158/

8 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Preordered the regular digital edition, both Ace Combat 5 and 7 are queued for download.  Thought about the digital deluxe, but without knowing what's in the season pass I wasn't dropping the extra $25.  For all I know it's a bunch over overpriced Idolmaster skins like AC6. <_<

I think it was three new planes and some extra skins spread over the course of a few months plus an in-game music player. Not bad, not great.

51 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

No kidding.  If there's no new missions, I doubt it'll be worth the extra $25 (to me, anyway).

I thought it included missions.  But overall----I think never has a game released, with such little clarity on exactly what you're getting, for most versions. How many times has it gone back and forth on if it's a raw port of AC5, a full re-do, or something inbetween?  (currently I think it's the latter).  

2 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

I thought it included missions.  But overall----I think never has a game released, with such little clarity on exactly what you're getting, for most versions. How many times has it gone back and forth on if it's a raw port of AC5, a full re-do, or something inbetween?  (currently I think it's the latter).  

@JetJockey's link showed that there is some smoothing applied to the models, which I think might just be from the emulator rendering the game at higher than native resolution.

Then again, the game preloaded on my console is something like 17GB compared to the 1-4GB of the original, so they might very well have done a partial/complete overhaul of the game's assets.

EDIT:

For a point of reference, here's footage of the PS2 version running on the PS4's built-in PS2 emulator. It's fairly recent, too, dating back to mid-2018. Graphical glitches abound - namely the clouds seem to render incorrectly - but are fixed on the preorder bonus version (presumably, anyway; I'll be able to confirm in <2 hours).

EDIT 2:

And finally some footage of the preorder bonus version. Definitely seems like a full-on remaster, with code updated to run natively on the PS4 rather than as a PS2 Classic title. Higher-poly models (and textures?) and... it seems 60fps, too. Not sure if the original was a 30fps game or not. I want to say it was. Damn excited.

Edited by kajnrig

So playing a bit of the first level of AC5 I can confirm that it's definitely a remaster of some kind. The menu elements are presented in letterboxed 4:3, but the gameplay and cutscenes, etc. are in proper 16:9. The controls have been tweaked, too. Default controls have the shoulder buttons/triggers swapped from the original (L1/R1 to yaw), as well as the radar/weapon switch buttons. You can change these back to normal in the game menu. Assets are definitely higher-quality. Um... anything else? None so far. Oh, saving doesn't emulate a PS2 memory card, more evidence this isn't just a re-release of the PS2 ISO in PS2 Classic format.

Gotta get to AC7 now, will have more thoughts later maybe.

To add what others are saying, AC5 is a port, with smoothed textures and running natively in 16:9 during missions (but otherwise still 4:3). Plays fine, has trophy support. I'd love it if they put at least 4 and Zero in the PS Store, too. (And maybe sell 5 and 6 separately from 7, since I'd buy AC6 on the Xbox One but not another copy of 7).

AC7 is super pretty. Only played the first mission, but it feels more like AC 2-5, Zero, and the PSP games than 6 (and less said about Assault Horizon the better). I tried to kill everything, and I wound up downing 21 targets in clustered groups that came in waves, compared to AC6 where it seemed like they were trying to show off new tech by cluttering the sky with hostiles.

Edited by mikeszekely