4 hours ago, Sildani said:

It’s a cutout to show the radar and avionics. I’m wondering what those gold squares underneath are. 

Very likely chaff/flare dispensers.

Also, neat about the tail logo.  I need to dig out my discs and replay those games at some point, it's been too long. ^_^ 

Edited by Chronocidal

I'm pretty sure it was always $89.

What I'm not sure on is what "digital preorder bonuses" implies. Going back a few pages, that phrase seems to cover all the preorder bonuses...

- F-4 Phantom playable craft
- F-104 "Avril" scheme
- 3x additional skins
- AC5/6

...and excludes the season pass from the deluxe digital edition and the physical items from the Japanese/European collector's editions (physical patches, emblem stickers, the Arsenal Bird), but I'm still not certain.

gqRcOBo.png

Oh thanks, I didn't realize the Aces at War didn't include the Seasons Pass.  I do want that art book though, so I guess its $30 for the art book?  How much is the seasons pass separately afterwards?  What does the seasons pass include that would be in addition to the game - I don't go online to play.

5 hours ago, wm cheng said:

Oh thanks, I didn't realize the Aces at War didn't include the Seasons Pass.  I do want that art book though, so I guess its $30 for the art book?  How much is the seasons pass separately afterwards?  What does the seasons pass include that would be in addition to the game - I don't go online to play.

Season pass gets you 3 DLC aircraft, 3 extra missions and an ingame music player.

I honestly think I'm just.. kinda done with the gaming industry.  Season pass this, DLC that.. I don't want an mmo, or a series, or something that keeps changing with every month as they make more content.  I just want a game I can play, enjoy, and be done with at some point.  Not another monthly subscription I have to keep shelling out for the latest content.

Maybe I'll wait until I can buy the whole game in a single box.  It's just not worth it anymore.. and it drives me absolutely up the wall seeing the things I used to enjoy get destroyed like that.

23 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I honestly think I'm just.. kinda done with the gaming industry.  Season pass this, DLC that.. I don't want an mmo, or a series, or something that keeps changing with every month as they make more content.  I just want a game I can play, enjoy, and be done with at some point.  Not another monthly subscription I have to keep shelling out for the latest content.

Maybe I'll wait until I can buy the whole game in a single box.  It's just not worth it anymore.. and it drives me absolutely up the wall seeing the things I used to enjoy get destroyed like that.

I usually wait and see if a game of the year edition comes out. Or just the major discount on a "collector's edition" after a while. So few games have extras that are really worth the premium price. And if you are behind on games there is no need to rush and get something new when you are already playing something else.

as someone who no longer owns a gaming system, while I understnd why the AC5/6-Remasters are included where/how they are, I'm extremely disappointed that I can't get either on PC.....................................................................

SCREW the new game, gimme AC5 and 6 and I'll pay you $60 for that!

Edited by slide

9 hours ago, Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0 said:

GTFO..... am I reading this right.... Ace Combat 5 remastered on the PS4 deluxe edition?!

No, it's the regular PS2 version emulated on the PS4's built-in emulator. It also doesn't come with the Deluxe edition specifically, it's a preorder bonus in general that unlocks once the game launches.

22 hours ago, slide said:

as someone who no longer owns a gaming system, while I understnd why the AC5/6-Remasters are included where/how they are, I'm extremely disappointed that I can't get either on PC.....................................................................

SCREW the new game, gimme AC5 and 6 and I'll pay you $60 for that!

I've been saying since the whole "repacking old games into a HD collection" thing started in the PS3 days that Bamco should do an Ace Combat collection with 4/5/6/Zero.  I think just about every fan of the series would gladly buy a copy.

21 hours ago, kajnrig said:

No, it's the regular PS2 version emulated on the PS4's built-in emulator. It also doesn't come with the Deluxe edition specifically, it's a preorder bonus in general that unlocks once the game launches.

In that case, I think that eliminates any need for the PS4 version for me.  I still have a working PS2, and all those games.

The question then becomes whether there's any chance of them releasing that bonus as a stand-alone purchase later, possibly even for other platforms.

15 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I've been saying since the whole "repacking old games into a HD collection" thing started in the PS3 days that Bamco should do an Ace Combat collection with 4/5/6/Zero.  I think just about every fan of the series would gladly buy a copy.

100% agree

throw-in a die-cast F-15 from zero [Pixie preferably...], or ANYTHING in the Razgriz scheme and they'd make a lot of $$$

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:03 PM, slide said:

100% agree

throw-in a die-cast F-15 from zero [Pixie preferably...], or ANYTHING in the Razgriz scheme and they'd make a lot of $$$

Nah, a diecast model needs to be XFA-27, X-02, or CFA-44 (Strigon Leader!).  

1 hour ago, wm cheng said:

No Black Friday sale and $34 shipping to Canada (Aces at War Bundle) - that sucks!

Man, I haven't seen many Black Friday deals worth anything for me so far.

Guess it still isn't much of a thing up here.

58 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

Nah, a diecast model needs to be XFA-27, X-02, or CFA-44 (Strigon Leader!).  

A diecast ADF-01 Falken would be cool too.

19 hours ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

A diecast ADF-01 Falken would be cool too.

I would pay serious money for a decent size die cast Falken. If they made it in Razgriz colors with an opening laser bay and a built in laser pointer they could put any price they wanted on it and I'd find a way to pay.

Not to rain on the HOTAS parade, but isn't that the same stick that some time ago got stuck in a rut of being completely un-remappable for some particular sim?  I just remember the default assignments for some game being absolutely useless in every way, and forcing people back to the gamepad to play it.

On 11/20/2018 at 7:44 PM, mikeszekely said:

I think Part 6 is the Xbox exclusive that I still haven't played. I didn't like Zero that much. I can't remember that many good things about that game compared to Parts 4 and 5. I don't think the music was good on that one either. So no collection for me as Parts 4 and 5 are the best of that group.

Anyone play the PSP Ace Combat games? How are those and are they worth the time?

4 hours ago, JetJockey said:

I think Part 6 is the Xbox exclusive that I still haven't played. I didn't like Zero that much. I can't remember that many good things about that game compared to Parts 4 and 5. I don't think the music was good on that one either. So no collection for me as Parts 4 and 5 are the best of that group.

Anyone play the PSP Ace Combat games? How are those and are they worth the time?

Ace Combat X is pretty good, stays in Strangereal and introduces a bunch of cool new fictional planes. For a portable game, it plays just like the PS2 games. Would recommend.

Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy is a remake of Ace Combat 2, but since I've never owned a Nintendo portable, I dont have a clue about how it plays.

Ace Combat Joint Assault was sorta meh, although I did like the very cheesy theme songs.

On 11/25/2018 at 10:53 PM, Chronocidal said:

Not to rain on the HOTAS parade, but isn't that the same stick that some time ago got stuck in a rut of being completely un-remappable for some particular sim?  I just remember the default assignments for some game being absolutely useless in every way, and forcing people back to the gamepad to play it.

First I heard about that, I'll keep it in mind when it hits the market.

I'm so weird when it comes to flight sticks. I bought the AC6 bundle with the stick and I hated it because I had become so used to the twisting single-stick-and-throttle getups from my PC days. (Anybody remember the crazy Gravis Phoenix? That was my jam for X-Wing and TIE Fighter.) I even tried some high-end Saitek sticks back when Battlefield 4 came out, but I always felt like there was something off about them. Too much deadzone or something. On a whim I went and bought a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro stick and shortly thereafter went on to hold the top scoring record in my state for air-to-ground kills for several months. I'm getting AC7 on PC solely so that I can use that stick again.

I'm gettin' olllllllllllllld.

14 hours ago, JetJockey said:

AC6 was kind of absolutely "okay."  Nice superplane design, and pretty to look at, but the story and dialogue were pretty cringe-worthy in a few ways, and the selection of aircraft was pitiful compared with the previous few titles.  Music wasn't anything amazing, and I don't think it was recorded live like the 4/5/Zero, but the main theme in the trailer was pretty memorable.

Zero was one of my favorites though, and I thought it was even more memorable in some ways than 5, since it explained the backstory of that conflict pretty nicely.  The live action cutscenes were a little odd, but I liked the story quite a bit, and the aircraft designs and music were amazing.  I still listen to that Spanish guitar theme and the end credits on a regular basis. :) 

10 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

First I heard about that, I'll keep it in mind when it hits the market.

I may be confusing Ace Combat with Hawx or some other flight game, so I wouldn't worry too much.  I just know that HOTAS support on consoles can be flaky, and they often lack the configuration customization possible on a PC.  The diagram below for War Thunder looks like it should be perfectly workable though.

3 minutes ago, Vifam7 said:

I've never used a HOTAS flight stick. How does one control the rudder on those things?

On previous AC bundles, the included stick was based on the old Saitek X-45, which had a rudder rocker switch on the back of the throttle.  One of the best features of that design in my opinion, and I always preferred that to the twisty-stick design more recent sticks tend to use.

The one linked above for AC7 is the PS4 Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS 4, and looks like it uses the same sort of rudder control, but might offer a twist stick too.

THOTAS4-1.png

What's odd is I'm actually seeing two sticks being released for AC7.. and the second is a Hori stick that looks like a more modern evolution of the Saitek X-45.

flightstick2.thumb.jpg.6912e1431d78bead8fd70ecde80eebbc.jpg

No idea how those two will compare, but I like the look of the second one, and wouldn't mind something like that for PC gameplay, since it looks like it incorporates full thumbsticks as hat switches, which is one issue most PC sticks have with the AC series in general.  PC sims generally don't use the same sort of view control as the AC series, because they rely on up/down/left/right key presses to slew the view, and don't automatically center.  The hat switches on PC sticks that generally get assigned for view control act more like digital + pads, because their real life counterparts are used for the equivalent of 4 individual button presses.

The co-opting of hat switches for view control in sims is as old as the genre, and is a sort of necessary evil in the world of high fidelity PC simulators.  Lots of HOTAS setups allow for modifier buttons that will allow you to switch to the realistic functionality of a view hat.  One of the things I'm really looking forward to as VR becomes a more viable option for simming is finally moving view control off of buttons, and replacing it with a true-to-life hands-free option.

Edited by Chronocidal

I'm getting a PS4 because of this game.

Last year I bought and returned a PS4 Star Wars bundle cause I was disgusted by the whole fiasco.  Said I would get a PS4 again next year if there was more games I was interested coming out and if there was a good sale going on.    Tomorrow I get my PS4 Pro bumble and have a half a dozen other games coming in.

I hope its compatible with the original Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS 4 stick and not some special AC version of this same stick.  Anywhere does it say its compatible with all T-Flight HOTAS 4 sticks?