I really hope they release that AC5 as a standalone release. Is it an HD remaster? I certainly hope so, but I'll be fine with it just being a PS2 Classic as well.

Remaster/PS2 Classic the other two games as well and you can have even more of my money, Namco.

A note: Preordering the PS4 digital version also gets you a dynamic theme that won't be included on the boxed copy and presumably won't be available post-launch. Really hoping this isn't the case.

EDIT:

Dualshockers says there is also a new trailer. Checking it now, dunno if true. (EDIT: Seems it's just one of the earlier trailers in Japanese.)

EDIT 2:

Gematsu article with a better summary of preorder bonuses et al:

https://gematsu.com/2018/09/ace-combat-7-skies-unknown-pre-order-bonuses-season-pass-and-japanese-limited-edition-announced

In the comments there's confusion as to whether it is indeed simply the PS2 version running off the emulator (ie a PS2 Classic) or a proper HD remaster.

PlayStation 4 Pre-Order Bonuses

• Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown dynamic theme (delivered instantly)
  • A McDonnell Douglas F-4E plane and three aircraft skins (Su-37-Yellow13, F-14D-Razgriz, and F-15C-Pixy) (delivered at launch)
  • Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War (full game, delivered at launch) – PlayStation 4 port version
  • Digital purchase bonus: F-104C -Avril-

Xbox One Pre-Order Bonuses

• A McDonnell Douglas F-4E plane and three aircraft skins (Su-37-Yellow13, F-14D-Razgriz, and F-15C-Pixy) (delivered at launch)
  • Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation (full game, delivered at launch) – Xbox 360 backwards compatible version

Steam Pre-Order Bonuses

Season Pass

A season pass that includes three additional planes, three additional stages, and a bonus in-game music player will also be available for $24.99. You will also be able to purchase a deluxe edition that includes the base game and season pass, as well as acquire the digital-only incentive Lockheed F-104 Starfighter plane.

Japanese First-Print Limited Collector’s Edition (12,400 yen)

• Collector’s Box
  • A copy of Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown for PlayStation 4
  • SteelBook (Collector’s Edition-exclusive design)
  • Booklet “Aces at War: A History 2019”
  • Stickers (legacy Ace emblems)
  • Embroidered patch “Trigger”
Edited by kajnrig

See.. this is where I'm always curious how the PC release will go.

HAWX absolutely belly-flopped into the market, and forgot to actually incorporate the DLC into the PC release, so when people online began to realize they could just tweak a text file to unlock all the paid add-ons, Ubisoft threw a conniption fit, banned anyone who spoke of the issue, and the PC release got quietly shuffled under a rug.

I might still pre-order the PS4 version to get the content, but I'm going to be following the issue closely.  If it looks like you can unlock everything by screwing with the game's files on the PC, I might skip the others.

(incoming short rant)
I'm sick to high heaven of this freakin DLC crap in every single release now.  Putting a plane you featured in your cinematic release trailer as a DLC exclusive is the dickiest of dick moves, and I'm tempted to just say screw the franchise until I can unlock everything on the PC manually, without paying extra.  Not that the F-104 is actually extra to start, but you can bet they'll add it to an online shop later for people who buy the game later.

(end rant)

Okay, so let me try to get this straight:

------------------------------------------------------------

PS4 Preorder Bonuses (Digital):
- AC7 dynamic theme
- F-4E Phantom playable airplane
- 3x airplane skins
- AC5 (PS2 Classic/HD Remaster)
- F-104C playable airplane

PS4 Preorder Bonuses (Physical):
- 3x airplane skins
- AC5 (PS2 Classic/HD Remaster)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Xbox One Preorder Bonuses (Digital):
- 3x airplane skins
- AC6 (Xbox 360)

Xbox One Preorder Bonuses (Physical):
- 3x airplane skins
- AC6 (Xbox 360)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Steam Preorder Bonuses:
- 3x airplane skins

---------------------------------------------------------------

Season Pass:
- 3x playable airplane
- 3x extra stages
- in-game music player

Deluxe Edition:
- AC7
- Season Pass

Japan-Exclusive Collector's Edition (PS4 only):
- Collector's box
- AC7
- steelbook
- Booklet
- emblem stickers
- embroidered patch

4 hours ago, dizman said:

F-4E Phantom DLC, uh oh I don't like where this is going. I'm gonna guess the older fictional aircraft like XFA-27 and X-02 will be stuck behind DLC as well, I really shouldn't be surprised given how Bandai Namco are these days.

Yeah, AC6 was full of DLC. Assault Horizon had a ton of DLC. And given how horrible the Ace Combat Infinity fuel system was (you could only play 3 times ever 24 hours unless you specifically stocked up on fuel by paying for it or winning some in each post-game RNG dice roll), I'm not surprised that AC7 is full of the same nickle and diming.

At least the game (minus DLC and preorder bonus aircraft) still has a larger roster of planes than 6 though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aknW5GK8Fv8

Some more Mission 7 gameplay. Man, that wind mechanic looks pretty crazy.

On 9/19/2018 at 2:25 PM, Chronocidal said:

That's a pretty low bar to set, considering 4, 5, and Zero had something like 50 each, and 6 had 15. <_< 

4 had 21 and 0 actually had like 37 aircraft, which places 7 (at 32) right in the middle.

5 did have a crazy large roster, although I think Infinity had the largest in the series.

2 hours ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

5 did have a crazy large roster, although I think Infinity had the largest in the series.

In fairness to the others, a lot of 5's roster consists of palette swaps or only slightly-modified models. The... four?... F-14 variants all use the same model IIRC, for instance.

gqRcOBo.png

If you want the Japanese-only collector's edition like I do:

https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=GAME-0021014
https://www.play-asia.com/ace-combat-7-skies-unknown-collectors-edition/13/70cb5l
https://www.amazon.co.jp/【PS4】ACE-COMBAT™-COLLECTOR“S-【早期購入特典】「ACE-PhantomII」「歴代シリーズ人気機体スキン3種」がダウンロードできるプロダクトコード/dp/B07HHJX3B4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1537911678&amp;sr=8-5&amp;keywords=ace+combat+7

I'll be getting the collector's edition for the cool steelbook and preordering the standard digital edition for the Avril, and maybe pick up a US physical copy once it drops down in price in a couple years (if the Japanese one doesn't come with an English language option). Maybe get the season pass DLCs as they come out. The only thing I wouldn't have are the 8x legacy emblems, but I've never cared much for in-game cosmetic items, so meh.

Per the Youtube channel Ace Combat Fan, Kotobukiya are working on a X-02 Wyvern model kit. It'll probably be the same 1/144 scale as the XFA-27 they released a little while ago.

EDIT: Apparently the XFA-27 hasn't come out yet, will be soon. Whoops.

cfAXPUucT2TR3lvqx1RVJ8OWlUy4d8_ynfShqe9Y

Edited by kajnrig

2 hours ago, Sildani said:

Now THAT’S a quality special edition. Are we getting nothing for a special edition?

Americans get nothing, Japanese get their own unique collector's edition. I think the only things that cross over with the European one are

- base game
- Aces at War artbook

3 hours ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

https://www.dualshockers.com/ace-combat-7-collectors-edition/

Europeans get a special Strangereal Edition of AC7 that comes with a diecast model of the Arsenal Bird drone mothership, patches and ACES at War artbook.

I might have switched to getting the European version if the model had been of something OTHER than the Arsenal Bird. I mean it looks fine, I guess, but it's no Arkbird, or any of the superfighters, or Stonehenge, or the Aigaion.

So there's still been no official announcement of an American release, but supposedly it's going to be the same Strangereal Edition as Europe gets.

Which of the two would you all be more likely to get? The Strangereal comes with the big frakk-off Arsenal Bird figure, but the Japanese one costs much less (~$100 shipped vs ~€170/$200 USD RRP) and you get a much tidier steelbook and (arguably) better stickers/patches.

Now that I think about it, none of that sounds as appealing as they did when they were first announced. I was going to get the Japanese one for the steelbook, but now that I take a second look at the price, it doesn't seem very worth it. And since I don't care at all about the Arsenal Bird model, nor about any patches or stickers, maybe it's best to just buy the base game...

10 hours ago, kajnrig said:

So there's still been no official announcement of an American release, but supposedly it's going to be the same Strangereal Edition as Europe gets.

Which of the two would you all be more likely to get? The Strangereal comes with the big frakk-off Arsenal Bird figure, but the Japanese one costs much less (~$100 shipped vs ~€170/$200 USD RRP) and you get a much tidier steelbook and (arguably) better stickers/patches.

Now that I think about it, none of that sounds as appealing as they did when they were first announced. I was going to get the Japanese one for the steelbook, but now that I take a second look at the price, it doesn't seem very worth it. And since I don't care at all about the Arsenal Bird model, nor about any patches or stickers, maybe it's best to just buy the base game...

Might be worth it for the artbook, considering it has a bunch of short stories by Sunao Katabuchi, as well as all the concept art. Although if they release the artbook independently from the mega deluxe edition, I'd probably just go for that.

Yeah I'm in for the special edition because of the translated Aces at War, I could probably just get the eventual online scans but I'd rather own a copy. The arsenal bird figure I could easily skip but if it came with a swarm of drones launching from the wing I'd be looking forward to that too. Oh I'm also in for the special edition because it includes the game :lol:

An official English version of “A Blue Dove for the Princess” would be a much better book, ESPECIALLY if the HD remaster is AC5. 

http://acecombat.wikia.com/wiki/A_Blue_Dove_for_the_Princess

Chapter 7 - Old Tree

It was when the dove finally made its way to the rocky mountain that an old tree began to murmur to itself. "An ominous wind is blowing. It is about to reveal itself, I suppose. It doesn't seem I can make it through alive this time around. Demon of Razgriz... Hmm? A hero, this time?" 

"What is it?" the dove asked casually. 

"When history witnesses a great change, Razgriz reveals itself. First as a dark demon." The old tree began to tell the same story that the dove heard at the castle. "As a demon, it uses its power to rain death upon the land, and then it dies. However, after a period of slumber, Razgriz returns. This time, as a great hero."

46 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

An official English version of “A Blue Dove for the Princess” would be a much better book, ESPECIALLY if the HD remaster is AC5. 

There's still no word on what form AC5 will take, but chances are high it's "just" a PS2 Classic running off the PS4's emulator and not a higher-res, higher-texture remaster.

Also, I do hope that one of the art book stories is A Blue Dove for the Princess. A proper translation would be great. Or perhaps a proper adaptation would be more apt, as I feel like those fan translations WERE probably proper translations, which was the problem.

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbbly9fVrZo&t=4s

New gameplay from Bandai's official channel.

Very slick kulbit pulled off by the player at around 7:00 minutes in.

That was some great gameplay, got to see the lightning strike the plane a few times and screw up targeting. One strange thing I noticed in the hanger is that the F-15J is there with the C and E. I guess with all the time they spent around the JASDF Project Aces figured they'd throw in a J.

Edited by dizman

3 hours ago, dizman said:

That was some great gameplay, got to see the lightning strike the plane a few times and screw up targeting. One strange thing I noticed in the hanger is that the F-15J is there with the C and E. I guess with all the time they spent around the JASDF Project Aces figured they'd throw in a J.

What impressed me was the fact that the player switched targets mid-kulbit. I can definitely see some skilled plays utilizing the post stall gameplay mechanic once AC7 releases.

So there's no special bundle with the old/updated HORI flightstick?  It's fully compatible with the existing Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas 4 right (no special AC edition)?

Pre ordered the Collector's edition via GAME in the UK. £169 isn't cheap, but the 40cm Arsenal bird looks cool.  Can't wait to try the vr missions out. Wish the whole game could be played that way.

https://www.game.co.uk/en/ace-combat-7-skies-unknown-collector-edition-2538024?cm_mmc=Google+Shopping-_-Mint+Software-_-Mint+Software-_-+-+&amp;gclid=EAIaIQobChMIltCc-I2n3gIVEpAYCh3J3ANFEAYYASABEgIm_vD_BwE

AC7_Collector_PS4_MOCKUP_UK.jpg

Edited by TrickyCustomer

10 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

The new Ukrainian blue splinter camo?  Do want. 

I'm curious... is their plan to fly upside down? or is that a coastal squadron? why else would you blue-camo the top?

at least the Russians are figuring out where to put their blue camo:

Related image

Purple on the top, standard Flanker Blue-over-Blue-Camo on the bottom... makes way more sense to me... [the pictured su-30 is a naval-aviation bird: note the navy ensign behind the 'pit]