Legend of Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These. Coming April 2018.

UN Spacy

2 minutes ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

Just saw this on reddit, it says first season is 12 episodes in spring 2018 and then 12 episodes in 3 movies in 2019.  Excited about the updated space battles, but it doesn't seem like enough episodes.

Depends if the movies are recaps or just mini-arcs. As much as I'd like to see a full 100+ episode epic again. It might not be in the cards at this time. At least we are getting something that looks well done visually. 

Hope the story holds.

Also I was squeeling during the space battles, this is going to be gooooood. 

Yeah, it's definitely not enough for the full series. Enough for a season or maybe 2 depending if they up the pacing. They should really emulate the Yamato 2199/2202 model of releasing movies and DVD/Blu-ray to fund the next group of episodes. Probably a better chance of completing a full 100 episode series that way.

Disclaimer: I'm a huge fan of the Artland adaptation.

I'm a tad disappointed in seeing the less than stellar CG . The character designs make me feel  like they are going hard for some fujoshi pandering too.

I hope to be proven wrong.

i thought the CG looks fine, not stellar, but good at least.

the massive fleets looked impressive, but what disappointed me was that they looked like a bunch of sitting ducks throwing popcorn at each other.

having read a lot of praise for LoGH, i guess i was expecting to see fleet maneuvering and ship tactics, like what you see in SBY2199

10 minutes ago, Major Focker said:

i thought the CG looks fine, not stellar, but good at least.

the massive fleets looked impressive, but what disappointed me was that they looked like a bunch of sitting ducks throwing popcorn at each other.

having read a lot of praise for LoGH, i guess i was expecting to see fleet maneuvering and ship tactics, like what you see in SBY2199

We'll have to wait for the Alliance defense of Iserlohn or a fight with the Black Lancers to get that. But over all there wasn't much movement in the original series either.

Noo I don't like the new voice for Reinhard, he does not sound like a spoiled brat lol. Kircheis character design looks awful. The Alliance ships look OK but the Brunhild looks horrible.

On 9/21/2017 at 5:45 AM, UN Spacy said:

I'm a little apprehensive going into this...I love LOGH but not a fan of prequels. 

On a side note. What did y'all think of the Tytania anime adaptation? 

Tytania was not that good. The hero was an inferior version of Yang Wenli. I remember that series more for the tea drinking than what actually happened.

On 9/22/2017 at 10:22 PM, Sandman said:

Not sure why people are hating on the character designs. They aren't bad and definitely not as bad as we've had to deal with in other shows.

It's the nostalgia kicking in. Happens when a new version of a beloved series comes out. Yang looked just fine, Reinhard and Seigfried's hair wasn't big enough though. PLease just tell me that Reinhard gets his long hair in the later part of the series. 

People like to compare and contrast when you have different interpretations of a popular show. I don't think the comments are mean spirited at all. A lot of people weighing in on this thread have seen the original series—some have even read the books—there is bound to be discussion. ;) 

To me, these look like young versions of the characters. That would explain Reinhard's shorter hair, but I'm having trouble placing this particular battle with all the new CGI. I can't confirm my suspicions. Yang looks okay, but even cadet Yang wasn't all that interested in military strategy. In a way, he looks too serious to me. Artland made his character look distant, almost unengaged with the action--like a part of him was looking forward to giving history lectures on some distant planet. 

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to this, even with how much I loved the original series.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/20/2017 at 3:27 PM, Sandman said:

Reinhard started off with short hair in the original LOGH anime and didn't get the long hair till way later on. Not sure why people are bugged about him having short hair in this new series unless the new series doesn't start at the beginning. 

IIRC, it's not til just before his rise to emperor that he gets his loreal long locks. Anyway my original was based on 80's animation style so the modern style is more realistic, therefor flatter. 

Just hoping it has the same pace of the original, i'm ok with a little faster, but let's please not burn rubber to the ending. 

23 minutes ago, Sandman said:

The first 3 LOGH novels as audiobooks are available for 2 for 1 using the audible credits. If you don't have an account, you can get the free trial which will give you a free credit which you can use to get 2 of the audiobooks for free.

Guess it's about time I break down and get this.... 

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Marzan said:

Well at least we now know that the music won't be as good. Then again, it was gonna be mission impossible to sound like the first adaptation.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-02-05/new-legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-anime-reveals-music-staff-posts-main-theme/.127411

Well, the OP and ED maybe, but the BGM and themes are being done by Hiroyuki Sawano and this guy knows how to do an epic score. 

12 hours ago, Focslain said:

Well, the OP and ED maybe, but the BGM and themes are being done by Hiroyuki Sawano and this guy knows how to do an epic score. 

Sin Hashimoto is the official composer. Although I really liked the OST from Aldnoah.Zero done by Hiroyuki Sawano. There doesn't seem to be any info on Hashimoto but I think it's hard to top the original anime series BGM etc.

ON the light novels side, unfortunately I have been on a graphic novel buying spree and can't dedicate funds (or the space) to it. If I lack the space I'll probably just go for the digital copies when it's completed.

On 5/2/2018 at 10:45 PM, Focslain said:

Sawano is only doing the OP and ED. Not the score. And even if he was, when your product is going to be compared against one featuring the most bombastic stuff made by guys like Antonin Dvorak, Mahler and a certain Ludvig van Beethoven, well...it's hard not to come short.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, hachi said:

3 weeks to go guys!  :D Makes me want to finish the 2nd novel I have started on but I don't remember where I put it ^_^;

And they have casted Frederica Greenhill.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-03-14/legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-tv-anime-casts-aya-endo-as-frederica/.128972

Did we get word on who is doing the (please saying someone is) simult-cast sub of this?

On 3/22/2018 at 9:12 PM, hachi said:

The character designs remind of Kuroko no Basket. They look more like basketball players than soldiers

Given the entire creative staff came from Kuroko no Basket, your instincts are spot-on.

I don't particularly like these character designs, but they're no worse than the old LoGH "Gaiden" OAVs... and if any of the characters actually looked like soldiers, it wouldn't be appropriate for LoGH anyway.

3 hours ago, tekering said:

I don't particularly like these character designs, but they're no worse than the old LoGH "Gaiden" OAVs... and if any of the characters actually looked like soldiers, it wouldn't be appropriate for LoGH anyway.

Well that depends, I fully hope the 'older' generation of admiral/captains look like soldiers since they should. 

19 hours ago, tekering said:

Given the entire creative staff came from Kuroko no Basket, your instincts are spot-on.

Did not notice that (or maybe forgot). I usually dont take note of staffs past projects. I hope they do at the least a competent adaptation.

On 3/23/2018 at 9:04 PM, Focslain said:

Well that depends, I fully hope the 'older' generation of admiral/captains look like soldiers since they should. 

We should see Merkatz early on in the series and he should be looking like a proper soldier gent.