Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Since it wouldn't be recognisable as Robotech, it could just as easily be great as awful. A scifi Mecha film centered around the idea of humans using forbidden alien technology to overcome the aliens who come looking for it. There might be some names you recognize but that's about all of Robotech that would have survived into the film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

I still wonder how this company is able to get away with this kind of shady activity. At the very least, it seems an infringement of monopoly law, and worst, it's basically holding a license in limbo for the purpose of predatory litigation. Seems to me that there would be corporate laws to deal with that situation, especially when it's a third party IP. From what I understand, they have some shady real estate dealings as well. Why are they not under investigation? If the Feds had been putting the whammy on Harmony Gold, thus ridding the planet of an insidious evil instead of chasing down potential Russian colluders, the world would be that much closer to utopia. ;)

Unfortunately, HG is far from alone in this kind of behavior.  This is an example of people using the letter of laws to violate the spirit of said laws.

As far as why someone (probably BW) doesn't do anything about it, I have to conclude at this point that they've decided it isn't worth the effort, financially.  They could theoretically throw enough money at this problem, whether that would be lawyers or just buying the rights from HG, to make it go away.  But they have decided the market outside Japan isn't worth that investment.  At least that's all I can speculate, based on the situation at hand (and how it's been for years).

I wouldn't doubt BW simply has a bad taste in their mouth (on a corporate level) when it comes to dealing with western licensing.  So they probably aren't keen on the idea to begin with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HardlyNever said:

Unfortunately, HG is far from alone in this kind of behavior.  This is an example of people using the letter of laws to violate the spirit of said laws.

As far as why someone (probably BW) doesn't do anything about it, I have to conclude at this point that they've decided it isn't worth the effort, financially.  They could theoretically throw enough money at this problem, whether that would be lawyers or just buying the rights from HG, to make it go away.  But they have decided the market outside Japan isn't worth that investment.  At least that's all I can speculate, based on the situation at hand (and how it's been for years).

I wouldn't doubt BW simply has a bad taste in their mouth (on a corporate level) when it comes to dealing with western licensing.  So they probably aren't keen on the idea to begin with.

But we have money! And shelves! Money and shelves for Macross merch! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Anyway, I think they'd make a movie that no one save the most die hard RT fans would like, and it'd essentially tank and leave them in irrevocable debt.  In light of this argument, I think they should go for it!:lol:

HG wouldn't be spending any money on it, they'd just be making money off the royalties from the license.

The best situation is for the movie to never get made, so after Sony finally decides keeping the rights isn't worth the petty cash payout the whole idea fades into history as another bad idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, I was told months ago from a user here that Sony dropped out of the whole thing, yet they're still acting like it's still going?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Sgt Nate V said:

Again, I was told months ago from a user here that Sony dropped out of the whole thing, yet they're still acting like it's still going?

You heard from a random person on the Internet something that is unsubstantiated. It seems very unlikely that Sony will do anything with their rights but they still have the rights and they still COULD do something. It's moot anyway, regardless of what Sony does or doesn't do, HG has the rights from Tatsunoko to keep on keepin' on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sgt Nate V said:

Again, I was told months ago from a user here that Sony dropped out of the whole thing, yet they're still acting like it's still going?

It'd be typical HG to act like a dead project is full steam ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JB0 said:

It'd be typical HG to act like a dead project is full steam ahead.

Yup, that's what they did for Shadow Chronicles for like ten years until they admitted it was cancelled all along, and what they did with Academy until the studio called them on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya. Since July 5th. Like 6 pages back , this has been the discussion..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

i wonder if finally now they will complete the Sentinels series.

been waiting to see what happens with the SDF-2

 

SDF-2 was blasted to scrap with the sdf-1.  SDF-3 is the one you are wondering about.  Zippo chance of anything being done with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

SDF-2 was blasted to scrap with the sdf-1.  SDF-3 is the one you are wondering about.  Zippo chance of anything being done with that.

That's a damn dirty lie! I watched that episode over and over and only ever saw one ship sitting in the lake. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

That's a damn dirty lie! I watched that episode over and over and only ever saw one ship sitting in the lake. 

+1. Plus F-ing ONE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2019 at 2:54 AM, M'Kyuun said:

But we have money! And shelves! Money and shelves for Macross merch! 

The problem is no one is actually keeping track of this- anywhere. No one from BW is following the money.

I shared the same sentiment when I look at one of my Macross shelf with hundreds of dollars worth of product for a commodity that's supposed to be only for a Japanese audience. 

How many of us are there outside of Japan- that are paying premium prices for products? Its beyond the US; true. But how many of us are there actually. 500, 1000, 5000? That's still not enough.

Then there is the possibility that BW and Tatsunoko wants us to pay premium pricing and keep the value on the commodity within a limited capacity. But if they communicate with their Takara counterparts, they'd know that collectors at this level are willing to pay directly or even spend (at times) on 3rd Party products.

Who knows anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Old_Nash said:
27 minutes ago, Einherjar said:

The only news from that is that Westeners really need to work on their BS detectors. <_<

I wish there was a way to downvote news pieces for being lazy, because this "article"'s sole source of info is the Den of Geek article, whose sole source is the HG press release (with a subsequent interview with HG staff).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lolicon said:

That's a damn dirty lie! I watched that episode over and over and only ever saw one ship sitting in the lake. 

That's because you are not worthy of see it.

This guy right there can see the SDF-2 with those all-seeing eyes 

180?cb=20160128143923

 

Edited by Gerli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2019 at 8:49 AM, blackconvoy_D01 said:

The problem is no one is actually keeping track of this- anywhere. No one from BW is following the money.

I shared the same sentiment when I look at one of my Macross shelf with hundreds of dollars worth of product for a commodity that's supposed to be only for a Japanese audience. 

How many of us are there outside of Japan- that are paying premium prices for products? Its beyond the US; true. But how many of us are there actually. 500, 1000, 5000? That's still not enough.

Then there is the possibility that BW and Tatsunoko wants us to pay premium pricing and keep the value on the commodity within a limited capacity. But if they communicate with their Takara counterparts, they'd know that collectors at this level are willing to pay directly or even spend (at times) on 3rd Party products.

Who knows anymore. 

Kind of self fulfilling, isn't it?

On one hand, the numbers don't exist as needed to pump out more product because people don't want to pay the premium prices and play games for the limited availability on nearly all the merchandise.

While on the other hand, the items are being made in short orders because they don't know/care if the demand would be there because of how it is now.

And you're right, there is a chance they like things as they are.

It's insane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2019 at 5:23 AM, Dynaman said:

SDF-2 was blasted to scrap with the sdf-1.  SDF-3 is the one you are wondering about.  Zippo chance of anything being done with that.

The first panel from the new Event Horizon comic (got it from Free Comic Book day, don't shoot me) has the SDF-3 in it. Whether it is part of their overall canon or not, I have no idea but basically he SDF-3 is the SDF-1. Time travel. Forgive the post not being completely related to the thread.

IMG_8687.JPG

IMG_8688.JPG

Edited by Chewie
Left out some words.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2019 at 6:47 AM, TehPW said:

+1. Plus F-ing ONE.

Lol!  I did the same thing back then, re-watched it over and over after reading the comic, thinking to myself wtf, how'd I miss that???

7c24e08a18cc3cd54f6d25e26878ed48.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if we accept the comics (or novels), it only raises further questions. Like why would you build a brand new spaceship half underwater right next to the rotting carcass of another ship? I guess Captain Global really didn't want to carry his luggage very far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought that SDF-2 nonsense had been struck from canon years ago.  There's nothing in the animation to support it, of course; in fact, prior to reading the comics or novels, I'd simply assumed the couple times "SDF-2" came up in dialogue (clearly referencing the SDF-1 onscreen) were merely typos in the recording scripts the director didn't catch.

Not that it matters either way, of course.  Robotech has been dead since Shadow Chronicles sunk it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I recall, SDF-2 was added to the scripts to justify there being three mounds in the ship graveyard during the second arc.

SDF-1, Khyron's kamikaze, and... I dunno, guess we'll make up a story about there being a second SDF-1. Yeah, let's call it the SDF-2, that's creative. We'll CG it in during post-production... once CG becomes viable in twenty years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JB0 said:

 

SDF-1, Khyron's kamikaze, and... I dunno, guess we'll make up a story about there being a second SDF-1. Yeah, let's call it the SDF-2, that's creative. We'll CG it in during post-production... once CG becomes viable in twenty years.

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Even if we accept the comics (or novels), it only raises further questions. Like why would you build a brand new spaceship half underwater right next to the rotting carcass of another ship? I guess Captain Global really didn't want to carry his luggage very far.

IIRC, they wanted to salvage intact systems from the SDF-1 for use on the SDF-2 because in the Robotech version of things it was an inscrutable holy grail of the most advanced alien tech anywhere in the universe instead of just another random mass production warship like in Macross.

 

6 hours ago, tekering said:

I thought that SDF-2 nonsense had been struck from canon years ago.  There's nothing in the animation to support it, of course; in fact, prior to reading the comics or novels, I'd simply assumed the couple times "SDF-2" came up in dialogue (clearly referencing the SDF-1 onscreen) were merely typos in the recording scripts the director didn't catch.

Nope, it's still there... another orphaned plot hole in Macek's butchered version of Macross.

 

4 hours ago, JB0 said:

As I recall, SDF-2 was added to the scripts to justify there being three mounds in the ship graveyard during the second arc.

That was popular fanon, but I don't know if they ever actually confirmed it was official.

 

4 hours ago, JB0 said:

SDF-1, Khyron's kamikaze, and... I dunno, guess we'll make up a story about there being a second SDF-1. Yeah, let's call it the SDF-2, that's creative. We'll CG it in during post-production... once CG becomes viable in twenty years.

The Comico comics actually did draw another ship in that scene, standing back-to-back with the SDF-1.

Entertainingly enough, as crudely drawn as the comic is, the design they used is visibly the unused SDF-2 design Kazutaka Miyatake did for Super Dimension Fortress Macross.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The Comico comics actually did draw another ship in that scene, standing back-to-back with the SDF-1.

Entertainingly enough, as crudely drawn as the comic is, the design they used is visibly the unused SDF-2 design Kazutaka Miyatake did for Super Dimension Fortress Macross.

Except they scaled it down to match the SDF-1, of course.

f2cf7cee9be0c95d2546357eedc7d0bd.gif

Still, good catch there.  :good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The Comico comics actually did draw another ship in that scene, standing back-to-back with the SDF-1.

Entertainingly enough, as crudely drawn as the comic is, the design they used is visibly the unused SDF-2 design Kazutaka Miyatake did for Super Dimension Fortress Macross.

That was one of their well drawn comics, so good it looked like it might have been traced from a frame of the animation, er wait a minute...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well... some fans made this one...
Still, haven't any f* sense.


Sh*t, now that I'm looking for it, the stupid Youtube algorithm is going to be recommending Robotech videos. :bigshok:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Ikaruss said:

Sh*t, now that I'm looking for it, the stupid Youtube algorithm is going to be recommending Robotech videos. :bigshok:

Well c'mon, if you open Pandora's Box you have to cope with the evils it contains. :p 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Mommar said:

I’d like a toy of the SDF-2.

You could just slap an SDF-2 sticker on an SDF-1 toy.  It would be more screen accurate to have an empty box though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dynaman said:

You could just slap an SDF-2 sticker on an SDF-1 toy.  It would be more screen accurate to have an empty box though.

LMAO! :rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...