Ugh... Harmony Gold is claiming they've secured a renewal of their license agreement with Tatsunoko Production.

What a waste.

It's official. HG now has the rights for, well, basically forever.  2054.  

I dont really care anymore, i can buy kits and toys without having to worry about HG and if im honest, i havent enjoyed any macross since Zero.  Doesn't affect me. I only wanted to see HG take an L.  

23 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Ugh... Harmony Gold is claiming they've secured a renewal of their license agreement with Tatsunoko Production.

What a waste.

Did I not warn you anything can happen? You kids were drumming up the hype when anything could happen between 2018 and 2021 and something did. 

Let this be a lesson. 

3 minutes ago, azrael said:

Did I not warn you anything can happen? You kids were drumming up the hype when anything could happen between 2018 and 2021 and something did. 

Let this be a lesson. 

The lesson is Tatsunoko always makes the wrong decision.  And comes off like HG’s battered wife.

5 minutes ago, Mommar said:

The lesson is Tatsunoko always makes the wrong decision.  And comes off like HG’s battered wife.

Bingo.

This was the stupidest possible move they could've made.

Let's hope it comes to naught, as Big West slowly gains ground in the trademark area worldwide.

11 minutes ago, azrael said:

Let this be a lesson. 

For lessons, I think appropriate ones might be that we shouldn't condone Macross fans supporting and promoting Robotech's toy lines, since they helped put the money in HG's pocket to pay for this travesty, and we shouldn't support any future works from the clown college at Tatsunoko either.

8 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Bingo.

This was the stupidest possible move they could've made.

Let's hope it comes to naught, as Big West slowly gains ground in the trademark area worldwide.

They're laughing to the bank. They get money for doing pretty much doing nothing.

Let's be real - Tatsunoko doesn't care about north american Macross fans - if they did, they'd be doing this themselves.  I think they see Macross as a niche western fandom interest, and coupled that with HG's established "development" of this market and the deal with Sony Pictures, they felt like more money could be made this way instead of starting over from square 1 for them.  And that's all they care about is the bottom line, as they should. It sucks for fans because the licensee they picked are such ***birds to most of the fans but that's just how it is.  

Ive never bought any Robotech stuff and don't plan to, as its all substandard garbage up to this point anyways and I'll just keep importing and so should the rest of you. I wouldn't get too mad about this news honestly.  I think we've all just had 30 years of hate built up against this company that we wanted to see them lose more than we actually wanted to see "actual" macross stuff with a domestic release.  

Since when did people take anything from these PowerPoint presentations seriously?  Are these not the same people so said for years that Shadow Rising was in the works and that they were shopping around for a streaming service to salvage Robotech Academy?

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/robotech/282027/the-robotechmacross-license-has-been-extended-exclusive

Some more context for y'all. Not for those who despise any amount of Robotech/HG boot-licking.

This part interests me the most:

But what about the Macross sequels? For many many years fans haven’t been able to legally obtain various sequel series to the original Macross outside of Japan. It’s been a huge point of contention, with many people pointing the finger at Harmony Gold. Does this renewal change anything about that?

Right now it appears nothing has changed. In 2017 the upholding of the license agreement made it clear Big West still owns those 41 characters designs and Tatsunoko owns the commercial rights to the Macross series. The way the Macross rights pie is divided up will make it difficult to work out who has the rights to various aspects of the IP outside of Japan. While Harmony Gold won't comment on any Macross sequels at this time, Tommy Yune does generally say that, "if we can have more Macross and more Robotech everywhere and just let the fans go after what they enjoy we think that would be a wonderful thing.”

Edited by kajnrig

....as long as they get their cut you mean.   They are still going to aggressively block anything even with a whiff of macross in it to protect their rights that tatsunoko granted them.  

Edited by Cowboy17

35 minutes ago, Cowboy17 said:

Let's be real - Tatsunoko doesn't care about north american Macross fans - if they did, they'd be doing this themselves.  I think they see Macross as a niche western fandom interest, and coupled that with HG's established "development" of this market and the deal with Sony Pictures, they felt like more money could be made this way instead of starting over from square 1 for them.  And that's all they care about is the bottom line, as they should. It sucks for fans because the licensee they picked are such ***birds to most of the fans but that's just how it is.  

Ive never bought any Robotech stuff and don't plan to, as its all substandard garbage up to this point anyways and I'll just keep importing and so should the rest of you. I wouldn't get too mad about this news honestly.  I think we've all just had 30 years of hate built up against this company that we wanted to see them lose more than we actually wanted to see "actual" macross stuff with a domestic release.  

No, I wanted them to both lose & get someone to start a decent domestic release.

30 minutes ago, Cowboy17 said:

what-he-said.jpg

So now that nothing will change within Kawamori's or hell, even my lifetime.

1 hour ago, JB0 said:

Uuuugh. WHY, Tatsunoko?

Why?  Because money.  On the rare chance they make that live action movie Tatsunoko will get their cut.  Also maybe Tatsunoko doesn't care.  It costs money to keep a property in the public eye.  If HG wants to invest money in a dead horse that's okay with Tatsunoko.  Better HG dime than theirs.

You know what? I really, really love this Macross thing. No other entertainment property has taken me on quite so many emotional roller coasters with so many highs and lows over the course of not just two hours, or 20 episodes, or seasons or series, but an entire lifetime as Macross.

YA-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

What a waste.

I can also claim to have a pair of 40GG breasts... but a claim is hyperbole until the ink dries on the paper. Please provide a credible link, less we collectively think someone else was sitting in your chair typing bovine excrement... Is there any mention of this in Japanese Print or Digital Media?

Edited by TehPW
Chose my words... carefully.

Just how big is Tatsunoko?  What is to prevent say, Bandai, from just buying them outright?  I realize Big West and Studio Nue are not big enough.  Also, what could HG really do if Bandai Visual, just said "to hell with it" and started releasing Macross sequels outside of Japan? It sounds like the language in the contract regarding the sequels is vague to say the least.

Just now, TehPW said:

I can also claim to have a pair of 40GG breasts... but a claim is hyperbole until the ink dries on the paper. Please provide a link, less we collectively think someone else was sitting in your chair typing bovine excrement...

Exactly, until the signed contract is able to be examined, I have my doubts.

6 minutes ago, TehPW said:

I can also claim to have a pair of 40GG breasts... but a claim is hyperbole until the ink dries on the paper. Please provide a credible link, less we collectively think someone else was sitting in your chair typing bovine excrement... Is there any mention of this in Japanese Print or Digital Media?

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-07-05/harmony-gold-renews-license-to-1st-macross-southern-cross-mospeada-anime-series/.148700

It was the subject of their AnimeExpo panel, apparently.