1 hour ago, CoryHolmes said:

24" long is ginormous for a model kit! :ohmy:

Centimeters, not inches. The stats put the Crusader at 9m in length (closer to 18cm in 1/48), but I like to size my mecha so as to be able to seat actual human-sized pilots in the cockpits. The stats and reference material for SC mecha are so very elusive that I might as well fill them in properly.

34 minutes ago, tekering said:

No, not inches.  21-24 centimeters.

Our illustrious Captain America is (ironically enough) Canadian.  :p

Heh, so am I :)  It's amazing how we mix and match the Imperial and Metric system.  Pounds and feet for descriptions of people-scale objects, kilometres for distances between cities...  it's a dialect as unique and identifiable as any spoken one.  I work in imperial units, so I just assumed.

That being said, 24cm is still a big kit.  I will take at least one :D

Edited by CoryHolmes

On 9/10/2017 at 2:39 AM, Major Focker said:

wish they would do the hovertank first. i'd buy a platoon in a heartbeat.

Amazed you don't have a few of the Playmate ones. If you want a hovertank you can try and second hand one of those.

No, it would be faster to start from scratch than try to modify a Matchbox/Playmates Hovertank to look accurate.  Every last proportion on that thing is wrong.

I'd pay $350 for a Moscato 1:48 Spartas Hovertank or Auroran AJACs without even batting an eyelash.

3 hours ago, Focslain said:

Amazed you don't have a few of the Playmate ones. If you want a hovertank you can try and second hand one of those.

2 hours ago, tekering said:

No, it would be faster to start from scratch than try to modify a Matchbox/Playmates Hovertank to look accurate.  Every last proportion on that thing is wrong.

what tekering said. besides i want something in 1/48 to go with other Mospeada stuff or 1/35 with other military vehicles. much more practical for a platoon diorama.

heck, i actually don't mind the 1/20 scale of the Playmates since i do have a lot of Ma.K stuff, but again what's currently on offer isn't up to snuff. also, at that size, the detail has to has to be there, the cockpit at the least. and i want at least one in tank mode.

On 9/19/2017 at 4:39 PM, tekering said:

I'd pay $350 for a Moscato 1:48 Spartas Hovertank or Auroran AJACs without even batting an eyelash.

The general form of the Matchbox Hovertank is OK, and is perhaps one of the very best toys in the whole Robotech line, but I'm confident that I could hit a home-run for both that and the Auroran. Who knows, if we ever get to green light one, it may open the door to a whole slew of otherwise unattainable highly-detailed SC stuff. 

It's actually a very decent series that will probably never get a reboot because the original was so badly received.

Well, if there is a tally for interest in a 1/48 Spartas Hovertank, I'd like to throw my name in that hat!  Just asking a question here though, but what would be the chances of a larger scale (1/35, 1/24) Bioroid (Robotech name, don't know the SC name) model?  Perhaps my fav enemy type mecha, and nothing of note available, that I'm aware of anyway.

29 minutes ago, Lord Uglor said:

Well, if there is a tally for interest in a 1/48 Spartas Hovertank, I'd like to throw my name in that hat!  Just asking a question here though, but what would be the chances of a larger scale (1/35, 1/24) Bioroid (Robotech name, don't know the SC name) model?  Perhaps my fav enemy type mecha, and nothing of note available, that I'm aware of anyway.

There was a 1/48 plastic Bioroid kit made by LS and also re-issued under Academy. It's not great, but it's something. Any scratchbuilding project of this type is easily several thousand dollars in labor. Bigger means more complexity, more detail, bigger molds, more resin and a higher development cost. It would already be a challenge to find enough interested parties to do a more manageable 1/48 scale model that I don't think it would be cost-feasible to do something larger.

I have the skills to get it done, but often times peoples' finances struggle to keep-up with their desires. 

14 hours ago, captain america said:

There was a 1/48 plastic Bioroid kit made by LS and also re-issued under Academy. It's not great, but it's something. Any scratchbuilding project of this type is easily several thousand dollars in labor. Bigger means more complexity, more detail, bigger molds, more resin and a higher development cost. It would already be a challenge to find enough interested parties to do a more manageable 1/48 scale model that I don't think it would be cost-feasible to do something larger.

I have the skills to get it done, but often times peoples' finances struggle to keep-up with their desires. 

Along those lines, is there any difference in labour costs for a Bioroid (single mode, relatively basic shapes) compared to a Spartas hovertank (three modes, blocky angular shapes) or Auroran?

24 minutes ago, CoryHolmes said:

Along those lines, is there any difference in labour costs for a Bioroid (single mode, relatively basic shapes) compared to a Spartas hovertank (three modes, blocky angular shapes) or Auroran?

Auroran and Spartas are more expensive to develop by virtue of their variable geometry and the extra time required to engineer them properly. Something like a Bioroid is more like a Zentran mecha in that the shapes are more straightforward. Compound curve/organic shapes are > complex than squared, but still < compared to anything variable.

On 9/9/2017 at 10:55 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

That ain't part of Macross, friend... Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross is a completely different show that is unrelated to Macross except in that the two shows had the same sponsor and were both at least partly animated by Tatsunoko Production.  It was an absolute, unqualified disaster in Japan and was canceled for low ratings a little over half of the way through its planned broadcast run.

Its cancellation had a lot to do with its toy sponsor Popy going bankrupt. Besides, you hate the show so why the hell are you responding in a thread about it? Grow up.

Oh, it'd have to be fanmade... the Southern Cross series is a forgotten flop in Japan, and for The Show That Must Not Be Named Toynami has said they have no interest in pursuing a license to make Southern Cross toys because the American adaptation is almost as unpopular in the west as the original was in Japan.

Hilarious since I see a number of Japanese fans on Twitter who seem to remember the opening song quite fondly. Its not quite as forgotten as you claim....

BTW, there are already Ajax minis being done by fans online. I've asked and they seem to state the files can be sized up from the 1/285th scale to whatever is appropriate. Maybe start with those? PM me if you need an invite to the Facebook group (sorry, even as an Admin I need to get permission from the rest to let people in).

1 hour ago, 1st Border Red Devil said:

Its cancellation had a lot to do with its toy sponsor Popy going bankrupt.

Y'know, I looked into that claim... and the person who made it (the ever-unreliable Yui) couldn't provide ANY supporting evidence to back it up.  When I inquired, all she could give me was a single link to an almost completely unsourced Wikipedia article that didn't even support her claim.  After the last time you asked me to find corroboration for one of her claims, I'd think you would know better than to take her word for anything. 

I'm not sure where she got the idea that Popy went bankrupt... they were in financial trouble in 1983, sure, but all that came of that was they were absorbed back into their parent company Bandai 11 months before Southern Cross aired.  Popy wasn't disbanded, it continued to operate as Bandai Popy and support its existing toy lines until at least 1988.  At the time that Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross was in final development and production, Bandai Popy was on the rebound thanks to the reintegration with Bandai and the licensing of their GoLionDairugger XV, and Arbegas lines to the American Voltron franchise and Machine Robo to GoBots.  

Besides, you hate the show so why the hell are you responding in a thread about it? Grow up.

Because, as you know, I happen to rather like the Sikorsky X-Wing-based Auroran design.  Just because I don't like the story doesn't mean I'm obliged to hate everything about the series.  I'm also rather fond of Private Charles and Sgt. Slawski, as I've told you on a number of previous occasions you've dusted off this ad hominem.  ;-)

Hilarious since I see a number of Japanese fans on Twitter who seem to remember the opening song quite fondly. Its not quite as forgotten as you claim....

Oh, I'm sure there are some old fans who remember the series from the 80's, but it's not something you see being re-aired or seeing any kind of new merchandise for it.  It's a forgotten property as far as the industry is concerned.

(If you talk to HG staff, Tatsunoko almost needs to be reminded they actually own that series when HG comes to them for approvals.)

Edited by Seto Kaiba

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

(If you talk to HG staff, Tatsunoko almost needs to be reminded they actually own that series when HG comes to them for approvals.)

That is actually kind of hilarious.

I know WHY HG doesn't just not bring it up and wait to see if anyone notices that they're basically pirating anime, but... one wonders what would happen if they DID just keep quiet about it.

11 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

Can we please get back on topic: mainly directing karma, thoughts, well-wishes, and cold hard cash in the Cap'n's direction so we can get some model-y goodness??? :)

It'd be nice, wouldn't it?

So... quick question.  Does Cap need 30 committed buyers for any one design to get cracking, or just 30 committed buyers total?  I can put word around on a couple Facebook groups.  (Due to a really annoying turn of events, I've been made admin of a Robotech RPG group, and can advertise this there.)

16 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Does Cap need 30 committed buyers for any one design to get cracking, or just 30 committed buyers total? 

30 for each design.  30 committed buyers at $300 each.

Frankly, despite how badly I want 'em myself, I just don't see it happening for the Spartas or the Auroran.  

I'm sure there are 30 fans out there who would gladly pay $300 or more for a Moscato-quality Hovertank or AJACs, I just don't think we'll be able to find enough of 'em.  Not on Kickstarter, not on Facebook, and certainly not on a forum like this.  The Internet is just too vast and decentralized to reach enough interested people.  :mellow:

But hey, there's no harm in trying, right?  ^_^

45 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It'd be nice, wouldn't it?

So... quick question.  Does Cap need 30 committed buyers for any one design to get cracking, or just 30 committed buyers total?  I can put word around on a couple Facebook groups.  (Due to a really annoying turn of events, I've been made admin of a Robotech RPG group, and can advertise this there.)

30 orders per kit. If you can help spread the word, that's definitely a huge plus! As a precaution, I recommend using the 3D renders in Jorwar's OP as reference and referring to it as an Auroran/Ajacs doppleganger kit, just to be safe. I don't use any copyrighted images or trademarked names (other than in parentheses) when referring to my kits to avoid any, er... "Imperial entanglements." 

Also, you can add member RKSC to the list of interested parties for one ofeach/any SC kit.

Edited by captain america

8 minutes ago, tekering said:

I'm sure there are 30 fans out there who would gladly pay $300 or more for a Moscato-quality Hovertank or AJACs, I just don't think we'll be able to find enough of 'em.  Not on Kickstarter, not on Facebook, and certainly not on a forum like this.  The Internet is just too vast and decentralized to reach enough interested people.  :mellow:

But hey, there's no harm in trying, right?  ^_^

Well, I've got two potential groups I can advertise this on... potentially three if I can get permission from the admin there.  Hopefully that will net a few interested parties, esp. since fans of Palladium's RPG are plentiful on at least two of the three and there's more love for Southern Cross among the RPG fans than anywhere else.

Just now, captain america said:

30 orders per kit. If you can help spread the word, that's definitely a huge plus! As a precaution, I recommend using the 3D renders in Jorwar's OP as reference and referring to it as an Auroran/Ajacs doppleganger kit, just to be safe. I don't use any copyrighted images or trademarked names (other than in parentheses) when referring to my kits to avoid any, er... "Imperial entanglements." 

Noted.  The groups I was going to advertise it on have no love for the "Empire" too, so that should help keep entanglements out of it. :) 

Hey  guy, I will update the people who want two kits, at this point, I wouldn't care which one is made, what I am hoping for is that if one kit is a hit (all capt's work is awesome) that it might encourage other to jump on board.

I would love to see Capt. Version of the individual figures of the southern cross units, anyways one project at a time. I think there is a small segment of enthusiast that can be brought together to get some of these projects together.  

78e12242bf51e87bc645ddcee8dca07d.jpg

b3543684bfe184d66a3453b3aaf1a996.jpg

d4b27cde4def7c54c7d4d046d28b6743--doublet-manga-tutorial.jpg

708fd2c13481499302142afa018e0369.jpg

Edited by jorawar_b

Just now, jorawar_b said:

Is this an Alpha and AJAC's?

Looks to be a Legioss and an Auroran, yeah... fanart of the Robotech version of MOSPEADA's Major Jonathan, who that adaptation made into someone who came back to fight the show's version of the Zor instead of between the Inbit occupation's start and 2nd recapture op.