Wind River

kajnrig

Movie stars Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen (aka Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch) as a Fish and Wildlife tracker and rookie FBI agent, respectively, who team up to solve a murder on the Wind River Indian Reservation in Wyoming.

I saw it last week, and just wanted to say that it's the first movie of the summer that I've left feeling satisfied and thinking, "Yep. That was just an all-around good, well-made movie."

You should see it. You'd probably enjoy it.

Saw it tonight with my girl. Good movie, well written, directed, and acted overall. There were some disturbing parts which were only overshadowed by the guy who brought his three sons, all of whom were probably under ten years of age. This is most certainly not a kid's movie, and one scene in particular even made me feel a bit uncomfortable. Anyway, the kids were making noise and talking a fair bit (they sat just a couple seats from my wife and I). To top it off, as we were leaving we noticed the kids' father had been using a beer can as a spittoon and left it there in his seat's cup-holder. Class act.  I have to wonder about people's moral and ethical compasses sometimes; some folks just seem bereft of both, and it's disturbing to think they're out there potentially making decisions that may affect others, whether at home or at work.

I digressed a bit, but I thought the movie was good.

1 hour ago, M'Kyuun said:

This is most certainly not a kid's movie, and one scene in particular even made me feel a bit uncomfortable.

I'd have felt pretty damned uncomfortable myself at that same scene if I'd brought my nephews with.

That guy, just... wow. Your little summary of events makes me think he'd have fit right in with a certain group of people in that movie.

39 minutes ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

The movie just made me want to buy a .45-70 lever action. That Marlin was beautiful.

It boggles my mind how lever-actions 1) were never adopted by either the Union or Confederacy, or heck even going into WWI, and 2) ever went out of style.

• 6 months later...
On 9/10/2017 at 12:31 AM, kajnrig said:

It boggles my mind how lever-actions 1) were never adopted by either the Union or Confederacy, or heck even going into WWI, and 2) ever went out of style.

basically, Western military doctrine for the whole of the 19th century called for firearms that were effectively the exact opposite of lever-actions. for the majority of their developmental life lever-actions were only available in what were the modern equivalent of handgun cartridges, with their high capacity and rapid fire compensating for their limited range and terminal ballistics.  Military planers of the era based all of their thinking on massed units of conscript soldiers, so cost and maximum effective range were the most important factors for a military rifle while increasing the individual soldiers rate of fire was thought to actually be detrimental as it would encourage ammunition wastage and make it more difficult to coordinate volley fire.

beyond that, even once lever-action where mechanically strong enough to handle full power rifle cartridges, they were fundamentally limited by the tube magazine which made them unsafe to use with the pointed spitzer bullets that were becoming the norm by the late 19th to early 20th century. by the time box magazine fed lever-actions became a thing, European bolt action systems that were mechanically simpler, fundamentally more accurate and easier to shoot prone were already widely available.

in short, what militaries wanted and what lever actions could do didn't intersect until the very end, and at that point there was something that could do the job better anyways.

On 9/9/2017 at 11:46 PM, AN/ALQ128 said:

The movie just made me want to buy a .45-70 lever action. That Marlin was beautiful.

get a .30-30. they're nicer to shoot and the ammo is a lot cheaper.

Edited by anime52k8

Well, the union and confederacy specifically didn't use them because the first commercially viable lever-action wasn't introduced until after the civil war had ended.

Union cavalry were using level action rifles throughout the war.  

Edited by Dynaman