Macross Δ (Delta) Movie Gekijō no Walkūre (Passionate Walkure)

no3Ljm

I’ve no doubt this is going to consist of a bunch of Walküre songs, so not much time or place for character development anyway. 

3 hours ago, Sildani said:

I’ve no doubt this is going to consist of a bunch of Walküre songs, so not much time or place for character development anyway. 

Actually, there's no doubt that this is going to be a 2 hour long Walküre (featuring Valkyries in the background doing scissors type of flying) music videos. ^_^

Edited by no3Ljm

3 hours ago, Sildani said:

13 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Actually, there's no doubt that this is going to be a 2 hour long Walküre (featuring Valkyries in the background doing scissors type of flying) music videos. ^_^

Pretty much, yeah... that's why they probably won't bother with a cameo or anything like that, with the compression of Macross Delta's already weak story into a two-hour film while leaving time for a dozen Walkure music videos is going to leave a barely-there plot with no time to develop the many characters already present in the series (who were already underdeveloped in the series format).

To those who want to properly calibrate their expectations for Macross Delta: Passionate Walkure, I would suggest watching Leiji Matsumoto's Interstella 5555: the 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem.  It's essentially a 60 minute long music video for Daft Punk's album Discovery and probably similar to the content balance we can expect from Macross Delta: Passionate Walkure.  Of course, it may give you false hope for Passionate Walkure... as Interstella 5555 is actually good.

2 minutes ago, valhary said:

Looks like a new Basara and also have a VF 19 hope at least be a new model like "the ride"

DTFrz73VQAAYMm6.jpg

... wut?  Those screens are all playing excerpts from existing Macross titles.

Where are you getting this "a new Basara" and VF-19 stuff?

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Pretty much, yeah... that's why they probably won't bother with a cameo or anything like that, with the compression of Macross Delta's already weak story into a two-hour film while leaving time for a dozen Walkure music videos is going to leave a barely-there plot with no time to develop the many characters already present in the series (who were already underdeveloped in the series format).

To those who want to properly calibrate their expectations for Macross Delta: Passionate Walkure, I would suggest watching Leiji Matsumoto's Interstella 5555: the 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem.  It's essentially a 60 minute long music video for Daft Punk's album Discovery and probably similar to the content balance we can expect from Macross Delta: Passionate Walkure.  Of course, it may give you false hope for Passionate Walkure... as Interstella 5555 is actually good.

Oh how I love Interstella 5555. :wub: 

28 minutes ago, valhary said:

sorry my mistake:blink:

That was from the Blue Moon Showcase, right?

I'm guessing you were looking at the left two monitors, which were showing the opening of Super Dimension Fortress Macross II: Lovers Again (specifically, its main character Hibiki Kanzaki) and a excerpt from Macross FB7.

15 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

That was my introduction to the music of Daft Punk, courtesy of a fellow Macross fan from Oz.

Know what if Epsilon Foundation becomes final boss in this movie instead of Roid I'm expecting them to have their own Macross.

In Macross E Epsilon Foundation bought the SDFN Macross Extra from the local government. Who is to say they can't buy other Macross ships as well.

12 hours ago, RedWolf said:

Know what if Epsilon Foundation becomes final boss in this movie instead of Roid I'm expecting them to have their own Macross.

Somehow, I doubt the Epsilon Foundation will end up becoming the final boss... Berger Stone was more an opportunist than any kind of card-carrying villain like Grace O'Connor or the Galaxy Executives.  All the Frontier movies did was transfer the blame a bit higher up the chain of command in the same faction, whereas that would be more like substituting a different faction.  (It'd also be a poor fit for Windermere's anti-human racism to be puppets of a human-owned corporation.)

12 hours ago, RedWolf said:

In Macross E Epsilon Foundation bought the SDFN Macross Extra from the local government. Who is to say they can't buy other Macross ships as well.

Well yeah, but that's because the planetary government was looking to offload an obsolete warship and they had an ulterior motive for buying it and gifting it to Ivan Tsari... they wanted to field test the use of fold song to control Var syndrome.

14 hours ago, RedWolf said:

I know what story you're referring to, but I'm pretty sure the SDFN-series vessel's name is not "Macross Extra". It went unnamed, and in any case, that series takes names from U.N. Spacy flag officers, no?

13 minutes ago, SMS007 said:

I know what story you're referring to, but I'm pretty sure the SDFN-series vessel's name is not "Macross Extra". It went unnamed, and in any case, that series takes names from U.N. Spacy flag officers, no?

Macross Δ Gaiden: Macross E declines to give the vessel's original name, but does confirm that it was a Macross-class SDFN that was part of the emigrant fleet that settled Pipure.

Ivan Tsari, the series antagonist, dubs it the Macross Extra after taking possession of it and relaunching it.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard someone say on another site that having Isamu in Gekijō no Walküre would be nice because then Isamu could talk with Ernest and say, "You sound like my friend."

Unrealistic hope, but it's nice to think about. :)

Edited by SMS007

16 minutes ago, SMS007 said:

I heard someone say on another site that having Isamu in Gekijō no Walküre would be nice because then Isamu could talk with Ernest and say, "You sound like my friend."

Somehow, I'd imagine having a highly capable, professional soldier like Isamu would probably take one look at Ernest Johnson and ask "You're so BAD at this!  Why are you here?"

On 1/25/2018 at 10:34 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Somehow, I'd imagine having a highly capable, professional soldier like Isamu would probably take one look at Ernest Johnson and ask "You're so BAD at this!  Why are you here?"

Not that I necessarily disagree, but is it canon that Isamu has mellowed out since his maverick days of 2040?

Edited by SMS007

11 minutes ago, SMS007 said:

Not that I necessarily disagree, but is it canon that Isamu has mellowed out since his maverick days of 2040?

Does trying to strong-arm Dr. Neumann into illegally selling him a federal New UN Forces spec VF-19 under the table one piece at a time sound like mellowing to you?

The New UN Forces kicked the man upstairs so he'd have fewer opportunities to cause trouble, FFS.

On 1/9/2018 at 9:26 PM, no3Ljm said:

Some years ago I got to see it on an Imax size screen at a Planetarium. Absolutely awesome.

On 1/27/2018 at 8:20 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

Does trying to strong-arm Dr. Neumann into illegally selling him a federal New UN Forces spec VF-19 under the table one piece at a time sound like mellowing to you?

The New UN Forces kicked the man upstairs so he'd have fewer opportunities to cause trouble, FFS.

Would love to see a short omake ONA "Another Day at the Office: Colonel Dyson"

7 minutes ago, Marzan said:

Would love to see a short omake ONA "Another Day at the Office: Colonel Dyson"

I can see it now...

The phone rings in Dr. Jan Neumann's office near the end of the workday.
The caller ID says DYSON, ISAMU A.

Fully ten minutes are spent on overdramatic pan shots across Jan's desk, capturing his increasing panic, with bombastic music and the sound of panicked heavy breathing in the background reaching a crescendo as he picks up the phone (a la Death Note's infamous potato chip scene).

The call lasts less than five minutes, with Jan politely asking if he can put Isamu on hold for a moment.

Cut to outside, a muffled but clearly terrified scream is heard clearly even through the closed windows, startling birds off of the windowsill and nearby trees.

Fade out to later that night, as a clearly distressed Jan is breathing into a paper bag in the back of a company car driven by Shinsei security, having been foiled in his attempt to burn the office down to prevent Isamu from ever getting his hands on another VF-19.

Roll credits.

15 minutes ago, Graham said:

Strange no line art  of the characters or mecha published in advance.

They must really not be confident about this movie........hahaha

As big a mess as the TV series was, that'd be perfectly understandable.

The official website is surprisingly low-key in its coverage of the movie.  They have Movie sections added, but they're the exact same pages that were created for the series with zero new art.  The Movie page itself is mostly Macross Modelers spots and PVs for Walkure CDs.  All they've got for the movie art-wise appears to be a few promotional posters on the main page.  Even the mecha page is IDENTICAL to the one for the TV series section from a year ago.

This is, like was noted earlier, very much "Walkure World"... the Macross content is incidental at best.

What's the over-under on a public apology from Kawamori for the disaster that is Delta?

45 minutes ago, Marzan said:

I really hope that it's more than a big commercial for Walkure. I'll hope for the best but try to limit my expectations to the absolute minimum.

Fully expecting something like Interstellar 5555 but for Walkure. 

21 minutes ago, Focslain said:

Fully expecting something like Interstellar 5555 but for Walkure. 

That's basically what I'm expecting... a two hour Walkure anime music video with a barely-there version of Macross Delta's already painfully flimsy and insubstantial plot that serves only to set up each new song.

EDIT: I have to say, after all the fuss and noise about how popular Walkure supposedly is, there's very little in terms of official publications, doujinshi, and fan art for the Macross Delta series.  I'm honestly surprised that the disparity is so huge compared to Macross Frontier.  Almost a literal order of magnitude difference at the least.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I figure for those of us living in the States that we'll have to wait for the home video release to either see it with official subs (I assume it will get it since the show did..) or fansubs of the same BD/DVD. Is that how it worked for the Frontier movies? I was active on these forums during the airing of Frontier's series but moved on before the movies and only came back here just before Delta started. Thus I didn't even see the Frontier movies until well after both were available to see online with fansubs.

20 minutes ago, Graham said:

So, is anybody from here going to see it?

Unfortunately I'm going to miss it... thanks to some irresponsible gits at work there's a spending crackdown, so I can't finagle a business trip that'd let me see it in theaters this time. :( 

The delay to see it on home video shouldn't be more than six months or so though.

8 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Wasn't FB2012 basically a lavish theatrical Mari Ijima/Minmay concert, too? They could be going for that. I dunno, just picking at the thinnest strands at this point.

Basically, yeah... but Flash Back 2012 wasn't trying to tell a story.

Flash Back 2012 was, for all practical intents and purposes, just a longer version of the epilogue for the Super Dimension Fortress Macross series that ended up cut in the storyboarding phase due to a runtime issue.  It doesn't really tell a story, it's a music video that recaps a few iconic scenes out of the differing versions of the First Space War narrative.

Macross Delta: Gekijo no Walkure is more like DYRL?, an alternate retelling of the TV series story... which is gonna be REALLY jarring if it ends up a two hour Walkure concert.