Macross Δ (Delta) Movie Gekijō no Walkūre (Passionate Walkure)

no3Ljm

Hey guys!

So I just saw the movie and it left me quite pleased... not because I think its a good Macross story, but because it seems the storywriters did acknowledge how bad the original series was, or at least thats how I felt with the additional new footage.

**************SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!

What I liked:

Hayate: he is already a squadron pilot... in the series it was painfully boring to hear him whine during all of his trainning. Now he is a pilot and he likes it and is enthusiastic about it. PERIOD.

Freija: right from the beginning we see she's the new voice. How? Why? Doesnt matter because we are granted to skip the endless episodes portraying her insecurities before becoming a walkure. Shes good, she auditions and gets the part. PERIOD.

Hayate and Freija chemistry: hayate meets freija, sees shes having trouble with her walkure practices and steals his vf to help her clear her mind and they have a moment that goes stronger. PERIOD. PLUS WE GET A FREAKIN SKATING GERWALK VF 31!!!

Messer: he gets so few screen time, that all the scenes where he was an overconfident, rude, arrogant prick are deleted. He is a square but cares for the team and is sick... i actually felt bad for him this time. 

Walkure: we got a few seconds to have a background of each of its members. Even as short as it was... it was welcomed. They struggled before becoming the massive hit that was shoved right through our noses in ep prequel.

Vf 31 dancing vs the Var. How amazing was that!!

Aerial Knights and Windermere war: why they hate humans, un spacy? How? Thank you storywriters for never clearing this in the movie. Never knowing why in this case is way better than the weak, poor excuses explained in the series. Its not sarcasm, really... Roid wants war. PERIOD. 

Apples and water: unexistent (whoever thought this could be a plot has to be fired).

We get to see a respectable size windemerean fleet and several vf squadrons that are other than the Aerial Knights.

Messer vs Keith battle: it felt better that Kaname had a body to hold (great plot twist and we got extra seconds of battroid battle)... instead than a cockpit full of body parts. She was a likeable character in the series and sings the best song of Delta.

Keith: him telling Kaname how much he respected the shinigami says everything. Way better than the series where he is another psycho homicidal douche.

Bogue: nice comic moments. Better than hearing him yellat walkure to die for 26 episodes.

Thats it friends. Sorry for the long post. 

Just a heads up, RealJayDee. Next time, if you don't want people to read way past your 'spoiler alert' warning, you can use the spoiler-free feature. Just click the 'eye-looking-button'. ^_^

The only downside is that, that feature is not showing up when you're in mobile site. :unsure:

7 hours ago, RealJayDee said:

PERIOD.

"Character development" is apparently a missed point...

Walkure: we got a few seconds to have a background of each of its members. Even as short as it was... it was welcomed. They struggled before becoming the massive hit that was shoved right through our noses in ep prequel.

They had an entire episode devoted to this in the series.

Vf 31 dancing vs the Var. How amazing was that!!

It was literally the exact same scene from the first episode of the TV series, just with Hayate's VF-31J substituted for the VF-171-II he was piloting before.

Hayate and Freija chemistry: hayate meets freija, sees shes having trouble with her walkure practices and steals his vf to help her clear her mind and they have a moment that goes stronger. PERIOD. PLUS WE GET A FREAKIN SKATING GERWALK VF 31!!!

This scene was in the TV series...

Aerial Knights and Windermere war: why they hate humans, un spacy? How? Thank you storywriters for never clearing this in the movie. Never knowing why in this case is way better than the weak, poor excuses explained in the series. Its not sarcasm, really... Roid wants war. PERIOD. 

... you didn't really pay attention to the movie, did you?

Apples and water: unexistent (whoever thought this could be a plot has to be fired).

It's just demoted to a throwaway line, not gone entirely.

****SPOILER ALERT****

I honestly did not pay attention to the 5 secs it took Roid to explain his motives in the movie. But I did get that the whole war could have been avoided if Keith had gone with him for some beers at their local pub.

Anyway I liked the movie

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

Just a heads up, RealJayDee. Next time, if you don't want people to read way past your 'spoiler alert' warning, you can use the spoiler-free feature. Just click the 'eye-looking-button'. ^_^

The only downside is that, that feature is not showing up when you're in mobile site. :unsure:

Thanks for the tip. I always check the forums with mi mobile so I guess I cant use that feat :(

22 minutes ago, RealJayDee said:

Thanks for the tip. I always check the forums with mi mobile so I guess I cant use that feat :(

Now that you mention it, that feature is missing on the mobile version. But you can still get it by bracketing off the spoiler sections with [ spoiler ]write spoilers here[/ spoiler ] (just without the spaces).

• 4 weeks later...

Finally watched the movie. It has some good scenes, notably Messer's final battle. Also, MUCH more balanced mecha action. not just scissors. Also, some of the movie just works very well to the music (basically turns into a music video, in an obvious homage to Frontier movies). Speaking of homages, hearing Oboeteimasuka in the original Protoculture is a nice twist!

Sadly, the writing still disappoints. I really hoped they'd expand on Mikumo as a character. They did to a small degree but really, I wanted more. That moment in the series when she turned out to be an able fighter - how, why? Movie cuts it.

We did not learn who Lady M was - but that was the expected outcome. Yet I really hoped for more character development of the Walkure, if they wanted to make a movie about the Walkure. There was *some*. But it's in brief broad strokes, as if the authors were writing a short story, not a full length movie. And so it got a bit "bog-standard idol" with teamwork, caring for each other and for those who listen. 

Nice idea with the massive grief that gets into the system once you try to unite all minds. I think I saw this in a fan work after the series, though. Writers mighjt have got this independently - or nicked it. Anyway. it's actually nice, and explains why Protoculture itself abandoned the use of this system. So yes. they actually did a decent job at worldbuilding... Also kudos for making Makina/Reina clear canon and giving a really strong hint at Keith/Roid.

Pity about the character development. This just kills the fun. I can understand showing more Walkure skin (did nothing for me but I'm older than the target audience). They should have shown more of Walkure under that skin. All of them, but especially Mikumo. You find out you're artificial and?.. It's a huge theme actually...

Edited by Saruta

I've had this movie for like 2 months and still haven't had a real desire to watch it. I'm suprised by this actually. I always jump on Macross properties right away. There was a couple of times i've sat down to watch it but changed my mind last minute. I have skimmed through the valkyrie scenes but even those don't seem to interest me. I usually will rewatch the fight scenes with music playing in the background a hundred times. I watched the Frontier scenes so many times that its a good thing we no longer use vhs. I would've worn out the tape. Id Delta's fight cheorgrapher different from Frontier's?

I'm not sure why i feel like this. Usually i can work through not good macross. I'm totally apethetic on watching this movie. I thought the series was mid ok anime (poor for macross). Especially annoyed by the lack of mecha action in the second half of the series. I've never had this feeling for a Macross production. I was hoping a freash new series will kick me out of this funk. Unfortunately it looks like we aren't getting another series until after a second Delta movie.

• 3 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Ryoma said:

Does anyone know where i can find a blu-ray region B of this movie so i can actually watch it here in Europe too? Even a region free dvd would work just fine.

Thank you!

CDJapan's page for the movie says the Blu-ray is region-free?  (I'll doublecheck my copy to make sure that's accurate in a few minutes.)

Edit: yeah, there's no sign of a region code marking on the box.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/BCXA-1376

Japan landed in the same DVD region code as Western Europe (Region 2), so the DVD should also be an option.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/BCBA-4911

The only potential sticking point is they're both NTSC formatted, so there's an outside chance you may run into some slight difficulty there.  Most TVs and DVD/BD players support both PAL and NTSC these days though.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Just breezed through it.  So, there were actually three Macrosses this time, but there is still a hero Macross, otherwise, the movie wasn't as bad as I had feared.  One funny bit was how Messer bought the farm.  He dodged the kill shot to simply expire bleeding all over.  Not sure if I like that any better.  Overall, it was entertaining enough.  Now, I'll pretend Macross Delta never happened and hope the next series is better.

By the way, armored VF-31 kinda sucks.  sorry personal opinion.  [\spoiler]

On 12/10/2018 at 10:49 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

CDJapan's page for the movie says the Blu-ray is region-free?  (I'll doublecheck my copy to make sure that's accurate in a few minutes.)

Edit: yeah, there's no sign of a region code marking on the box.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/BCXA-1376

Japan landed in the same DVD region code as Western Europe (Region 2), so the DVD should also be an option.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/BCBA-4911

The only potential sticking point is they're both NTSC formatted, so there's an outside chance you may run into some slight difficulty there.  Most TVs and DVD/BD players support both PAL and NTSC these days though.

Thanks, i think I'll try the blu-ray on Cdjapan then. I clearly remember buying some dvd/bluray at CDjapan few years ago and they worked on my PS3/PS4 so the ntsc difference should not be a problem. Thanks again!

• 3 months later...

I finally sat down to watch the Delta movie last night. I wasn't expecting much and in that regard it did not disappoint. :p

Essentially a Cliff's Notes version of the TV series, that made it slightly more enjoyable. Instead of 26 episodes of mostly interminable crap, it was compressed to two hours, so the movie at least moved along at a brisk pace.

Some parts were tweaked, moved around, or dropped altogether, which improved things a bit.

We got lots of valkyrie action, which was good, but a lot of it felt disjointed. It was like watching a series of video game cut scenes but skipping over all the gameplay parts that connected those scenes.

How could Hayate and Mirage fly so terribly in one battle, only to become super ace pilots in the next? With Mirage piloting an enemy craft, no less. I guess the Draken III really is that user-friendly!

I could go on and on about how bad a movie this was and the state of anime in general and all that nonsense, but instead I'll just say: skip the TV series and just watch this. It'll make as much sense, but at least you'll save about 10 hours of your life.

12 hours ago, Lolicon said:

I finally sat down to watch the Delta movie last night. I wasn't expecting much and in that regard it did not disappoint. :p

Essentially a Cliff's Notes version of the TV series, that made it slightly more enjoyable. Instead of 26 episodes of mostly interminable crap, it was compressed to two hours, so the movie at least moved along at a brisk pace.

Some parts were tweaked, moved around, or dropped altogether, which improved things a bit.

We got lots of valkyrie action, which was good, but a lot of it felt disjointed. It was like watching a series of video game cut scenes but skipping over all the gameplay parts that connected those scenes.

How could Hayate and Mirage fly so terribly in one battle, only to become super ace pilots in the next? With Mirage piloting an enemy craft, no less. I guess the Draken III really is that user-friendly!

I could go on and on about how bad a movie this was and the state of anime in general and all that nonsense, but instead I'll just say: skip the TV series and just watch this. It'll make as much sense, but at least you'll save about 10 hours of your life.

Hmmm. I'll probably still keep away from it. Because as you mentioned, you weren't expecting too much about it and it didn't disappoint. And in that regard still ended up as a bad movie. That's a red flag for me. :p

Hahaha! I'm just messing with you, Lolicon. Happy Friday! :friends:

• 1 year later...

Way late to this party but I was pleasantly surprised by the movie - I enjoyed it. I went into it with the expectation that complex character development in Delta is just not a thing- and it still isn’t- but that’s a a lot more forgivable in a 2 hour movie. In addition they cut out so much repetitiveness from the shows. Pacing is a lot better too- the show was wildly uneven- because the movie only really has one pace, galloping. And I liked the new songs. It was fun overall.

I also just recently watched for the first time.  Meh.  Could have completely skipped the first half and not missed a thing. How is it still called "Delta" when the love triangle is gone?  Mirage is basically a non-character now, zero growth/story, and certainly not anyone's love interest.  She's now about as "deep" as Makina is---speaks one paragraph about her past, then is relegated to Freyja/Hataye back-up forevermore.  

2 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

I also just recently watched for the first time.  Meh.  Could have completely skipped the first half and not missed a thing. How is it still called "Delta" when the love triangle is gone?  Mirage is basically a non-character now, zero growth/story, and certainly not anyone's love interest.  She's now about as "deep" as Makina is---speaks one paragraph about her past, then is relegated to Freyja/Hataye back-up forevermore.  

All the fighters are Delta Wings.  There wasn't a triangle in the series anyway.  There was Hayate and Freyja and Mirage standing around the corner.

16 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Well the Delta bit was most likely a reference to Delta flight (the MC squad) and/or the fact that Delta is also the fourth macross TV series. 

Take your pick.

But yeah, Mirage was not even in the running as Freya had Hayate from day one.

Okay. After my latest watch of the movie and seeing this thread I figured I put this down before I forget about it.

First, of all I want to mention that I am quite a fan of Delta. Do not know why I am, since Frontier is better overall but still I do like the series. That said. I am not blind to its failings. I actually loved the whole idea of the series moving the Franchise away from Colony Fleets but towards a collection of settled planets. I also liked the idea of having more nationalities out there outside of the Human-lead New United Nations. Even then I know Delta does have some issues and I am okay with that. For it is fun series to watch. Okay. That is enough for the series itself, since this thread is about the movie. 

Moving on. Hmmm... So just in case I shall place my stuff into a spoiler tag.

Spoiler

So first up. I did enjoy having Hayate already in Xaos by the start of the movie. But, I do not believe he should already be in Delta Flight but maybe in either Beta or Gamma Flights and then transferred over to Delta after Frejya joins Walkure. Since apparently there was a Delta Flight member for each member of Walkure after all. 

Next up. I loved the duel between Keith and Messer better then the series for it actually gave Messer a chance to shine briefly before his death. It also didn't really cheapen his death like the series did with that one-shot kill. It also a bit sadder and more emotional with him dying in Kaname's arms. Being captured soon afterwards kept that emotional train going along with Keith's mentioning of Kaname's song during the scene later. 

I also loved the new song and the intro concert. For it did remind me of the Frontier Movie versions of Sherly's Concerts while still making it a bit original. Though the editing of the scene with putting the new concert into the movie was kind of weak since the transition from the new concert to the old stuff from the Series was quite jarring. They could have done better then that. It was worse then some of the transitions during the Gundam Zeta Movies from the new animation to that of the old. And that is saying something.

I did kind of miss the Battle of Ragna and the fleeing from the planet even though I know it is not the favorite of many out there. I did like the whole idea. So seeing Island Jackpot just sitting there and doing nothing was kind of disappointing in my opinion. Though I understand the time crunch for the movie.

Still we did get the extra two Macross Elysion Class Ships which was quite sweet in my opinion. Though I honestly think they could have done better with them. They could have change up the weapons and equipment on the other two ships like the Macross Quarters from the second Frontier Movie. Maybe different attachments then the Enterprise Class ships with the Elysion. Also I would have liked to see some shots of those ships launching their own units alongside the reminder of Delta Flight and the rest of the Xaos Third Fighter Wing from the Elysion. Though kind of shame we didn't get see anything further on that Armored Karios that we see launching alongside Delta Flight.

Then we got the very brief fight against the two remaining Elysion Class ships. That was pretty cool with the whole pointing the main gun at the bridge of the other ship like go ahead do something stupid and you are dead.

Overall. While it was not as good as the Frontier Movies at all. It was still a fun little piece that was fun to watch. Seto I think said it best earlier. It is a popcorn-crunching action flick but that is all it is. They really should have a second movie like Frontier to spread things out a bit and add a bit more new story stuff also Frontier. Anyways. That is my humble opinion of the movie. Hate it or love it. It is still an interesting movie.

I'm happy to hear it's being worked on. Feels like it's been a while since we had more Macross. I've been playing with YF-29s lately, I wonder if we'll get a new vehicle in the second Delta movie like the second Frontier movie gave us.

4 hours ago, jenius said:

I'm happy to hear it's being worked on. Feels like it's been a while since we had more Macross. I've been playing with YF-29s lately, I wonder if we'll get a new vehicle in the second Delta movie like the second Frontier movie gave us.

Yep, they've teased a brand new VF design, and I'm personally hoping to see if Kawamori has finished the transformation mechanism for the Sv-164 Svard.

delta movie 2 mystery VF.png

16 hours ago, Tochiro said:

You’ll be happy to know then that a second movie has been announced and is indeed currently being worked on :-)

I am aware of the second movie. However, what I meant is that we should have gotten a second movie covering the series timeline more time to explore bits of the new storyline. That said. I am quite excited for the second movie since it is going to be a whole new storyline after the end of the series/first movie. 

17 hours ago, Tochiro said:

You’ll be happy to know then that a second movie has been announced and is indeed currently being worked on :-)

Wasn't that announced like 2 years ago?

I'd pretty much given up on it already and assumed it was cancelled.

11 hours ago, ZOR prime said:

Has it been released in the US yet?

No, but there is an official region 0 Bluray release with english subtitles. You might find it on sale on amazon if you look. Just remember that base price is JPN standard for blurays, so ~$75 USD.

Same for the series, though that was broken up into nine volumes so can get expensive.

Delta is the second most expensive series I own and the most per episode.

7 hours ago, Graham said:

Sounds about normal for a Macross development.  IIRC, wasn't it about 2 years from Macross Frontier start of development to the first trailer?

8 hours ago, Graham said:

There's never been an official release date. But hold fast! Word is , there's definitely work being done and things are moving forward.  So until an actual release date is announced. Just sit back and re watch Macross 7:p

@Focslain @ZOR prime

Here's the official release (I assume this is the one Focslain was talking about) on Amazon Japan:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/劇場版-マクロスΔ-激情のワルキューレ-特装限定版-Blu-ray/dp/B07CMWW35P/

It is blu-ray region A ( list of countries here, includes Japan and North/South America ), and includes English subtitles along with a neat art booklet (in Japanese), and is available for international shipping.

I would not expect any releases of any Macross properties outside of Japan for a while yet, but they're making it fairly accessible now.

Edited by jeniusornome

Yeah that's the one. 

They did a region free version of the series too. I'm hoping they'll do a re-release of at least the Macross movies with sub-titles. I'd buy those in a hot minute.