Macross Δ (Delta) Movie Gekijō no Walkūre (Passionate Walkure)

no3Ljm

Does anyone know if all the BD versions of the movie are subbed? Amazon Japan's page in English is useless and Google translate doesn't want to translate since it says the web address is too long. I can see both a 9000 and a 6999 yen version and wonder if i wonder what the difference is.

43 minutes ago, Marzan said:

Does anyone know if all the BD versions of the movie are subbed? Amazon Japan's page in English is useless and Google translate doesn't want to translate since it says the web address is too long. I can see both a 9000 and a 6999 yen version and wonder if i wonder what the difference is.

Woah, the formatting on those search results is TERRIBLE.

There's only the one version of the movie coming out on DVD/Blu-ray, it looks like Amazon's pricing higher if you want a limited edition Macross Delta tote bag extra with your disc.

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

There's only the one version of the movie coming out on DVD/Blu-ray, it looks like Amazon's pricing higher if you want a limited edition Macross Delta tote bag extra with your disc.

I thought I'd spotted 3 versions. DVD, Blueray, and the Amazon Special Version (or something).

I did note it said on both the DVD and Blueray that they included English subtitles.

17 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Thanks Seto. I'll survive without the tote bag I think :D

Yeah, I don't know what happened to Amazon Japan's english page. It used to have more info in English before.

17 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I thought I'd spotted 3 versions. DVD, Blueray, and the Amazon Special Version (or something).

I did note it said on both the DVD and Blueray that they included English subtitles.

I'm not altogether surprised... it seems like almost anything marked "Limited Edition" these days is going to come with some kind of bonus item if you preorder from a particular store.  I've got a tiny mountain of unasked-for "clear files" and other stuff from various CD and BD imports. <_< 

3 hours ago, Marzan said:

Yeah, I don't know what happened to Amazon Japan's english page. It used to have more info in English before.

's the reason I stick to CDJapan unless it can't be helped... everything is very straightforward there.

15 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I'm not altogether surprised... it seems like almost anything marked "Limited Edition" these days is going to come with some kind of bonus item if you preorder from a particular store.  I've got a tiny mountain of unasked-for "clear files" and other stuff from various CD and BD imports. <_< 

's the reason I stick to CDJapan unless it can't be helped... everything is very straightforward there.

I also prefer CD Japan's website. But the postal service in my country takes a while to process good coming in from overseas and on top of the VAT and taxes adds a 20 dollar surcharge for administrative fees (irrespective of article price). Amazon already includes my local vat in the price I pay for shipping with DHL so it's faster, less hassle and at least 15 bucks cheaper per shipment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
46 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Haven't checked this thread in a while. Anything extra confirmed to be included on the BD/DVD? Making of? Concert video? Sexy 1/6-scale figures of Walkure + Mirage?

Well, according to the product listing for the Limited Edition Blu-Ray, the extra features are:

• An AR card for use with Uta Macross.
  • Staff and cast audio commentary
  • Promotional footage
  • Karaoke videos
  • Picture dramas
  • A "Making of" feature
  • A greeting from the staff and cast

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Got my shipping notice from CDJapan late last night... FedEx is projecting delivery for tomorrow. :) 

I should have gone with FedEx, for some reason this thing just went through customs in Hong Kong... why?

45 minutes ago, Mommar said:

I should have gone with FedEx, for some reason this thing just went through customs in Hong Kong... why?

Hong Kong?  What shipping method did you choose?

13 minutes ago, Mommar said:

DHL, I don’t recall choosing it but that’s what CDJapan went with.

IIRC, DHL is their default/cheapest international shipping option... and IIRC one of their major sorting hubs for East Asia is in Hong Kong.

I could look, but I suspect the price for this movie, as movies often are when they're Japanese imports, is rather high. So.... someone please tell me if it worth the money. The official subs are already a great bonus of course, but even so.

31 minutes ago, Mommar said:

Boy, they sure dedicated a lot of time to those four girls in towels...

Well, the TV series was pretty much Walkure Delta, so it isn't too surprising the movie is more of same.

Some quick thoughts on the film.  Kinda odd I’m the first one to review this thing outside of Japan.

First, this is definitely Walkure The Movie featuring Delta Squad.  They added/expanded some of the fight scenes but it's about the girls.  The towel comment I made earlier is in reference to the redone back half of the series where the girls are all locked up on that NUNS capital ship discussing their back stories and it's real boring and not fun to watch.  That's been pushed up to the front of the show and instead of being captured they're all lounging in towels or naked in a hot tub and it's real boring and not fun to watch... so that's kind of an improvement?

It's definitely a clip show.  I guess it's fun for those of us who have seen the series to see how they've origami-ed up the scenes into something new-ish.  It feels jumpy, like there's a bunch of edits, and there are and it shows.  Unfortunately it's not directed well because even the new scenes (the greatly extended final battle) feel disjointed and jumpy and don't flow well.

Somebody obviously noticed the final battle was too short and not terribly epic and beefed it up here.  It's almost entirely new material but as I already mentioned it isn't paced very well.  And all of the action scenes suffer from Fontier-itis, aka, IT'S TOO F.U.C.K.ING FAST TO SEE ANYTHING.

The Armor packs get a decent amount of screen time and I really do hope they make the Armor Parts for all of the fighters (Arad, Chuck and the A's.)  They still forget Arad and Chuck exist in many of the dogfights though.  The twist change for Messers death is fun and he and Keith do more than just scissor in the distance.  You actually get to see all three modes used.  As a matter of fact Messers final blow on Keith is in Gerwalk.  Messer actually uses the FGB stick.

There's too much singing/performing for my liking.  I don't particularly like Japanese Pop and I like all of this stuff even less.  Frontier has better music.

I'd say the movie either needed to be split into two or made into three hours to prevent all of the disjointed and quick jumps but I honestly don't know what they would pad that time with, the series was already light on material.  They'd have to make up new stuff and I'm not sure these writers have the chops.  I hope the new series is better.  It's still a disappointment because it's a missed opportunity just like the series was.  Frontier pulled off expressing each of the various characters traits and motives and story better.  It's just I really hated all of the characters.  Here, I like the premise of the characters but even the movie doesn't fix the fact none of them got enough screen time.  Having ten protagonists is a bad idea.

Overall I'm not sure I can sit through this more than once or twice.  My buddy, who views of all of this stuff through a Robotech lens still, wants to come over and watch it.  I'm not sure what to tell him.  He ain't getting Macross Plus 2: Back In The Habit.

Edited by Mommar

1 hour ago, Mommar said:

Some quick thoughts on the film.  Kinda odd I’m the first one to review this thing outside of Japan.

Mine is stuck between Japan and Australia as it was only shipped on Monday for me, and Australia is slow for even with EMS.