Macross Δ (Delta) Movie Gekijō no Walkūre (Passionate Walkure)

no3Ljm

16 minutes ago, Master Dex said:

Anime is a well known genre here to the point some western animation has started to adopt animesque styles and storytelling tropes.

Granted, the concept of anime and some of its fundamental tropes and stereotypical habits is something that has gained more commonplace recognition... but Joe and Jane Average off the street likely won't be able to name more than a handful of titles, almost certainly being ones I identified above that they would've seen as kids when they were kids shows.  It has a long, LONG way to go before it achieves the kind of acceptance that'd make it a mainstream art form in the US.  That's why the industry runs on razor thin margins with semi-regular spates of bankruptcy and reorganization.  It's gained a lot of ground thanks to the 90's kids who grew up on shows like Dragonball being in their late 20's and early 30's now, enough to sustain dedicated streaming services, but those cater mostly to the hardcore hobbyist.

That's why Macross's creators don't really have an incentive to aggressively pursue conflict over the limits of their distribution capabilities... they've cornered the best market already, the rest is chump change.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

2 hours ago, Sir Galahad® said:

Oh come on! These Robotech Socks will bring Big West to its knees! Hehehehe!

socks.png

Ohhhhhh! Big West is so scared!

2 hours ago, Sir Galahad® said:

I'm not from the US, but how big is Anime to the ordinary person over there? I think until now, it is still a Niche Market. I think the only thing the general public knows is like Dragonball or Pokemon. But I'm not sure.

Still not that big in the U.S.; I've never been to the Philippines but by virtue of being in eastern Asia, I bet anime is bigger in the Philippines than in the U.S.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Granted, the concept of anime and some of its fundamental tropes and stereotypical habits is something that has gained more commonplace recognition... but Joe and Jane Average off the street likely won't be able to name more than a handful of titles, almost certainly being ones I identified above that they would've seen as kids when they were kids shows.  It has a long, LONG way to go before it achieves the kind of acceptance that'd make it a mainstream art form in the US.  That's why the industry runs on razor thin margins with semi-regular spates of bankruptcy and reorganization.  It's gained a lot of ground thanks to the 90's kids who grew up on shows like Dragonball being in their late 20's and early 30's now, enough to sustain dedicated streaming services, but those cater mostly to the hardcore hobbyist.

That's why Macross's creators don't really have an incentive to aggressively pursue conflict over the limits of their distribution capabilities... they've cornered the best market already, the rest is chump change.

Yeah I'll give you that, average person probably would cite shows like that. My circles have been far more prone to know more lately so I might be biased. I tackled the question more from the perspective of creaters probably the average joe viewers in the States. The distinction is noteworthy.

6 hours ago, SMS007 said:

Ohhhhhh! Big West is so scared!

Still not that big in the U.S.; I've never been to the Philippines but by virtue of being in eastern Asia, I bet anime is bigger in the Philippines than in the U.S.

Well we do dub our shows in our local language, although I still do prefer the ones with english subbed. It helps with my Japanese that has become obscure when I started working for non-japanese IT firms. Hahaha! It was surprising that on iFlix (which is the Asian version of Netflix), that when I started watching Tenjo Tenge it was dubbed in Tagalog. Hahahaha.

We do get our stuff from Crunchy Roll as well as Animax.

3 hours ago, Graham said:

So is this movie still showing in cinemas in Japan, or has it been pulled already?

Or was it just a special one-off showing in one place, I forget?

And any news of a Blu-ray/DVD release date yet?

It's still in multiple theaters across Japan, since Feb 9th.  In Tokyo, 6 cinema are still showing it.

So, I've had a chance to finally come back from Japan, and had a chance to reflect on the movie. It does seem to fix a lot of the fight scene issues that I think a number of us had, where there is barely any battroid fighting. The fight scenes seem extended a bit, well, at least because it's a movie, they are filled within it. While there are some scenes that have scenery changes, they aren't so jarring when it comes across. Are there a few parts that seem a little dis-jointed, to a new viewer, it's probably a little more so, but there is a part where the concert is redoing Freyja's first performance with Walkure. The song that is sung is one of the new songs, and it is done in CG, similar to what was done in the Frontier movies with Sheryl Nome. The difference is that the girls in what is shown are also CG. I took it from the view as someone who was viewing the projection in the air, and it isn't as bad as one would think. There are some things missing, and a lot that is cut out, but the core of the story is there. It's actually a bit more solid of a movie, but there isn't much of any explanation as to why there is a war. That was probably the main thing I had to consolidate while watching it. In reflecting on most other Macross movies, there's always been a sense of needing to know the full story to fill in the missing gaps.

If I were watching the movie as a first time Delta viewer, it would be hard to understand every single reference and why certain characters are doing what, but it wouldn't destroy the story of the movie. There is enough to understand as a new viewer I believe, but as all Macross movies have gone, this does feel like a complete extra for the fans that are already familiar with the characters and the story.

I do feel that the review the article gave was pretty well written and portrays what a new viewer would feel. The movie is fun. It isn't the quality of DYRL by any means, and I think it falls just under the second Frontier movie. That said, I am happy with how the movie turned out. I will get the bluray and I hope (hint) that some people we know get to do the subtitles. I give it a B.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, UN Spacy said:

BD/DVD is out 8/28...English subs included.

Well well well... happy birthday to me, it seems. :) 

6 minutes ago, xrentonx said:

Just ordered it. I hope this is THE limited bluray version to get.

Seems like everything ends up marked "Limited Edition" these days... but yeah, this'll be the one to get with the decently informative liner notes and all.

This will be the most expensive movie I've bought to date, but it will be worth double if the sales are good and later we see them doing official subs of past movies. Would love to get the Frontier movies.

They haven't released the Super Criterion Uncut Limited Black Dragon Deluxe Box Set Collectors Gold DX Remastered Edition (Directors Cut) for the regular series yet, right?

On 4/27/2018 at 2:02 PM, xrentonx said:

They haven't released the Super Criterion Uncut Limited Black Dragon Deluxe Box Set Collectors Gold DX Remastered Edition (Directors Cut) for the regular series yet, right?

:lol:

I don't think so. I bought the original release BDs, which included some sturdy boxes with disc 3, 6, and 9.

A limited release collector's box, like the smaller sized SBY 2199 collector's box would be nice.

On 4/28/2018 at 12:27 PM, technoblue said:

:lol:

I don't think so. I bought the original release BDs, which included some sturdy boxes with disc 3, 6, and 9.

A limited release collector's box, like the smaller sized SBY 2199 collector's box would be nice.

Yeah, I've been waiting for that so I can complete my goal of owning every single Macross show and movie on Bluray. I want the limited box sets. :)

25 minutes ago, Silverstreak said:

Forgive the ignorance but why is the BD so expensive? Is that just foreign markup?

Japanese physical media is always pretty expensive... the average is like $63.50 a disc, though the words "limited edition" almost invariably comes with a markup on the distributor's side.

My guess would be that part of the markup is extra features like an art booklet or something.

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Japanese physical media is always pretty expensive... the average is like $63.50 a disc, though the words "limited edition" almost invariably comes with a markup on the distributor's side.

My guess would be that part of the markup is extra features like an art booklet or something.

Pretty good bet the movie has an art book as the series blu-rays all came with one.

Just now, Focslain said:

Pretty good bet the movie has an art book as the series blu-rays all came with one.

I'd hope it comes with more than just a liner notes booklet, considering it's 25% more expensive... $15 for a postcard that'll only work with Uta Macross until year's end is a bit steep.

Do any of the other listings out there mention extras besides the standard on-disc featurettes and the postcard?

On 3/3/2018 at 6:56 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

The dubbing and distribution industry here still runs on pretty thin margins.

Well you are seeing more and more dubs on streaming services like Netflix, so the costs of producing physical content is reduced.  They can also gauge if a title is worth producing discs for by the popularity of the streaming.

On 4/19/2018 at 6:11 PM, Mommar said:

Is that a common thing?

From what I'm gathering, no, it isn't common. The movie got extended due to theaters selling out, and for an anime in theaters, that's pretty big news. I believe there was even a 4D type of viewing at a cinema just recently, and that sold out. While the release of the BD is now confirmed for August, it's also noteworthy to include the fact that the Walkure 3rd Live will be released on BD roughly around the same time (well, autumn). The fact that the concert was performed the 3rd week of the movie release is significant, as a big part of the Macross franchise is the music. Having both coincide during the same time, along with the event at the Skytree, and several independent fan events will help push one another.