Macross Δ (Delta) Movie Gekijō no Walkūre (Passionate Walkure)

no3Ljm

1 hour ago, JIS said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Arad and Chuck have both armored VF-31s. They kick some buts, of course, but nothing extraordinary. Seeing the armored version was cool enough though.

The combat is also very recycled from the anime (not a bad thing) but it also have some new cool scenes too and it was well paced.

Spoiler

Wait, they BOTH have armored Valks?  So Chuck isn't just flying an RVF this time?  I guess now we know why BOTH of them haven't shown up as toys yet.  That also potentially means I'm buying two of Arad and Chuck so I can have with and without Armor parts... damn it.

10 minutes ago, seti88 said:

JIS you are probably the best link we have to the movie now other than when the delta movie podcast comes.

Thanks for answering!

btw how's the usage of the 31A's? :p

Hide contents

Wait a min, you mean chuck pilots another 31s? So it isnt a yellow 31 armored? Are both arad and chucks armor parts the same color?

Spoiler

I think you've read that wrong.  VF-31's.  As in plural.  I don't think he was providing designations.

10 hours ago, JIS said:

I just watched the movie a few hours ago. While my Japanese level is far from perfect I was able to understand most of the movie except an important little part in the last few minutes of the movie. 
I will try to avoid spoilers, so I can’t talk about several things. First, if you dislike too much Delta then the movie won’t change your mind. However, I can say that the movie is far superior to the anime. Maybe I was with very low expectations or maybe I am starting to lower my expectations of movies in general or maybe I was excited to see my first Macross movie in a theater; I’m not sure but I really enjoined most of the movie.
The anime had several good moments but it also had too many terrible (not just bad, terrible) moments. The plot was a mess and probably without the mechas and the Macross name we would stop watching the show. Well, the movie is super focused in what it worked in the anime and they stripped almost all the crap and non-sense (so they removed a lot of things). Of course, the idol stuff is there and there are problems with the plot and character development but it’s a better plot altogether and with way better pace.
It is great? I don’t think so but in my opinion is a better movie than most of us will expect from Delta.
Also, as always the mechas are awesome.

Note: the boobs of the girls increased their size a little. And why anime artists draw boobs as breast implants all the time? Yes, I know, big boobs in Japan means implants but still…

Note2: I received a Reina gift with my movie ticket.

Reina.jpg

Based on the movie you watched, will Delta have a second movie?

2 hours ago, Sir Galahad® said:

Based on the movie you watched, will Delta have a second movie?

Spoiler

Unfortunately I got a little confused in the last few minutes, my Japanese was good enough for most of the movie but not the last part.

But still, I am pretty sure that there is going to be a second movie and that it will have an almost completely original plot (with the same characters, of course).

9 minutes ago, JIS said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Unfortunately I got a little confused in the last few minutes, my Japanese was good enough for most of the movie but not the last part.

But still, I am pretty sure that there is going to be a second movie and that it will have an almost completely original plot (with the same characters, of course).

So I guess a second movie would really delay a next Macross series... Sigh!

8 hours ago, Sildani said:

How... how... a 262? Really? How..?

Spoiler

The Windermer people love to pimp their rides. And with the paint technology they posses you can do it in a few seconds even if you never touch their hardware or understand their language. Ok?

he he

And it's difficult to sell the SV-262 already, you know that. Sad, because it's a beautiful mecha.

4 hours ago, SMS007 said:

https://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=149048&page=7

Bottom post on this page has a rough point by point summary of the movie, aggregated from across the Infowebs. 

Thanks for the post! 

2 hours ago, Sildani said:

More stuff about the plot on page 8 of that thread SMS007 linked to. Apparently Kawamori got his way this time. 

Spoiler

So mirage utters nothing until one of the scenes? Wow talk abt writing a character into the background, kawamori certainly did...

2 minutes ago, JIS said:
  Hide contents

5a7f0b3937d9b_ArmoredVF-31.jpg.1e5eeb6b4b7c186eb13b1ded6de7e80e.jpg

It seems the weapons bay is replaced by the tornado weapons.

Spoiler

SO does chuck's armored say 03 and is yellow in color? Boy bandai will be milking the armored parts mold if so...

3 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Hide contents

Mirage gets her only lines in the entire film

Well, there goes all of MY interest...

Spoiler

Pretty sure this one is not true, if you read the spoiler from 4chan's /m/, don't trust it, there's an actual spoiler in /a/.

Most of the opinions expressed by the people from that link range between confusing and stupid.  The things they want, don’t like and like are odd coming from this messageboard.  I’m not sure anything they’ve said tells me whether it was good or bad.  Their focus is so different.

5 hours ago, Mommar said:

Most of the opinions expressed by the people from that link range between confusing and stupid.  The things they want, don’t like and like are odd coming from this messageboard.  I’m not sure anything they’ve said tells me whether it was good or bad.  Their focus is so different.

Based on feedback from friends of mine in Japan, since I couldn't wrangle a trip over there to see it this year... whether the film is "Good" or "Bad" would be entirely contingent on whether or not you thought the TV series was good or bad because apparently in a break from Macross tradition the film is basically just a more compact version of the series that doesn't change much.

Spoiler

DO YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW?

Spoiler

ARE YOU SURE?

Spoiler

What I've gleaned from conversations with my friends in Japan is:

• Mirage's role is greatly reduced vs. the TV series, and she has barely any dialog.
  • King Grammier Neirich Windermere VI and Lady M are demoted to Sir Not Appearing in this Film
  • There's a greater proportion of combat to singing than in the TV series.
  • There's more of a fuss about Freyja being a Windermerean due to her ties to the hostile Kingdom of the Wind, which was almost an afterthought except to Bogue in the series.
  • Messer dies in essentially the same way he did in the TV series, but instead of dying instantly after being shot by Keith he lives long enough to die in Kaname's arms after crashing in a more blatant echo of Roy's death in Super Dimension Fortress Macross.
  • Roid kidnaps and mind controls Mikumo exactly as he did in the series.
  • Makina takes a bullet and comes back for the big finale exactly as she did in the series.
  • The Armored Siegfried has very little actual role in the movie.
  • The ending is the same as the series, with Roid trying to enact his Delta System plan, being foiled by Freyja, and dying together with Keith, after which the Aerial Knights take their ball and go home just like they did in the series.

1 hour ago, Sildani said:

Thank you Seto. 

Don't thank me, I'm just the messenger.

All told, the impression my friends gave me was that Macross Delta: Passionate Walkure is indeed better than the Macross Delta TV series... principally because it's shorter and thus they're forced to make more efficient use of time.

19 minutes ago, ridgebacks said:

Hmm, seems like the only thing I will get out of this movie is Arad's 31 with AP and that's it.

Eh, I think there's something to be said for Mirage's Sv-262Ba.

8 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Based on feedback from friends of mine in Japan, since I couldn't wrangle a trip over there to see it this year... whether the film is "Good" or "Bad" would be entirely contingent on whether or not you thought the TV series was good or bad because apparently in a break from Macross tradition the film is basically just a more compact version of the series that doesn't change much.

Hide contents

DO YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW?

Hide contents

ARE YOU SURE?

Hide contents

What I've gleaned from conversations with my friends in Japan is:

• Mirage's role is greatly reduced vs. the TV series, and she has barely any dialog.
  • King Grammier Neirich Windermere VI and Lady M are demoted to Sir Not Appearing in this Film
  • There's a greater proportion of combat to singing than in the TV series.
  • There's more of a fuss about Freyja being a Windermerean due to her ties to the hostile Kingdom of the Wind, which was almost an afterthought except to Bogue in the series.
  • Messer dies in essentially the same way he did in the TV series, but instead of dying instantly after being shot by Keith he lives long enough to die in Kaname's arms after crashing in a more blatant echo of Roy's death in Super Dimension Fortress Macross.
  • Roid kidnaps and mind controls Mikumo exactly as he did in the series.
  • Makina takes a bullet and comes back for the big finale exactly as she did in the series.
  • The Armored Siegfried has very little actual role in the movie.
  • The ending is the same as the series, with Roid trying to enact his Delta System plan, being foiled by Freyja, and dying together with Keith, after which the Aerial Knights take their ball and go home just like they did in the series.

Then we can assume that there would be no 2nd movie if we look at the ending?

9 hours ago, azrael said:

I'll say it again:

As I've had to point out to a few friends who were disappointed by Macross Delta: Passionate Walkure, while it's technically true that compression makes diamonds... it's much more common for compression to simply make garbage more compact.

3 hours ago, Sir Galahad® said:

Reveal hidden contents

Then we can assume that there would be no 2nd movie if we look at the ending?

Thus far, nobody has mentioned anything to me regarding a trailer at the end of the movie like the one at the end of Macross Frontier: the False Songstress.  

Spoiler

I'd assume that the lack of change in the ending is meant to allow Windermere IV to potentially persist as an antagonistic power to the New UN Government.

Mind you, Windermere IV's Kingdom of the Wind isn't likely to be much of a threat now for reasons I've elaborated on several times in the past.  In short:

• Their economy was predominantly agricultural... they no longer have a market for their food exports now that the New UN Government is aware they were using those exports to trigger weaponize-able Var syndrome outbreaks.
  • Their only other marketable export is heavily restricted by the New UN Government, and now that the Epsilon Foundation has bailed on them they have no clear way to illegally trade in fold quartz.
  • Their brief conquest of the Brisingr globular cluster turned twenty-odd New UN Government member worlds who were generally apathetic to Windermere IV being a non-aligned planet into twenty-odd potentially hostile powers, each of which boasts its own New UN Forces troops that substantially outnumber the remaining Aerial Knights.
  • The government of the Kingdom of the Wind has been destabilized by the death of King Grammier Neirich Windermere VI, his chancellor Roid Brehm, and the White Knight of Darwent and only other potential heir to the throne Keith Aero Windermere.  With Crown Prince Heinz Neirich Windermere at death's door as a result of his abuse of his runes to power the Sigur Valens for the Song of the Wind, he's unlikely to live long enough to produce an heir.  The noble houses took a real pasting in both wars too, thanks to heavy involvement in the Aerial Knights and collateral damage.  Windermere IV could end up in a civil war over the throne if Heinz dies.
  • Having been abandoned by the Epsilon Foundation, Windermere IV has no means to obtain new war materiel.  All of their ships, their fighters, and other weaponry (except maybe their swords and knives) were purchased from Epsilon Foundation subsidiaries.  Their ability to maintain their present military has been crippled at a single stroke by Berger Stone's defection.  They're in full-on "What're you gonna do?  Bleed on me?" territory.

Spoiler

That Mirage is basically not in the movie except for some random use of a 262 in her colors but otherwise has no lines is the biggest crime. Having a Jenius, especially one who subverts the typical 'automatic ace' trait of the family, is a massive waste of a good story resource in this series officially now. Maybe if the hereto-unrevealed new series coming up ends up using her as a main character to right this wrong it'll work out but otherwise it just upsets me.

But seriously though, a show with a female lead pilot character going somewhere else, especially Mirage... that'd be awesome.

2 hours ago, Master Dex said:
  Hide contents

That Mirage is basically not in the movie except for some random use of a 262 in her colors but otherwise has no lines is the biggest crime. Having a Jenius, especially one who subverts the typical 'automatic ace' trait of the family, is a massive waste of a good story resource in this series officially now. Maybe if the hereto-unrevealed new series coming up ends up using her as a main character to right this wrong it'll work out but otherwise it just upsets me.

But seriously though, a show with a female lead pilot character going somewhere else, especially Mirage... that'd be awesome.

The fact that she's the best character design of the entire show certainly doesn't help, either.

40 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Hide contents

The fact that she's the best character design of the entire show certainly doesn't help, either.

Yup. That's a central part of the problem. Yes. she's a Jenius and a pilot that's a big part of it, but it's just such a gorgeous character design and so distinct from the others, that it just makes it feel like such a waste

13 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

is this a good movie? til1rsS.png

If you thought the Macross Delta TV series was good, yes.

If not, no.

Word from Japan is that Macross Delta: Passionate Walkure is much closer to being a traditional compilation movie than previous Macross films.