Macross Δ (Delta) Movie Gekijō no Walkūre (Passionate Walkure)

no3Ljm

Macross Delta Sneak Peak Review: The new Delta movie is out and it is amazing! All the drawbacks from the convoluted TV series were corrected into a concisely plotted story-line, that also carries an emotional punch. Add to that the amazing music and action choreography, and Delta Walkure is easily one of the greatest Anime productions of all time.  Macross will continue into the future :)

23 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

EDIT: I have to say, after all the fuss and noise about how popular Walkure supposedly is, there's very little in terms of official publications, doujinshi, and fan art for the Macross Delta series.  I'm honestly surprised that the disparity is so huge compared to Macross Frontier.  Almost a literal order of magnitude difference at the least.

Been thinking on this.

So in the case of not much dojins, might it be that there is more than enough waifu-bait out there? If the info from the Speaker Podcast guys is correct, then Walkure is known more for their music then the anime and could explain lack of imagery. There is also the point that Delta was paper thin in plot and character development. In looking at Walkure individually there is little dojin material outside of Makina x Reina as Kaname is too straight and has little screen time, Frejya has the most but is so tied to Hayate that breaking the pair would seem sacrilege and Mikumo is a construct with one purpose, to sing.

Versus Ranka and Sheryl from Frontier which had way more depth and human emotion and I only saw the movies.

Walkure’s best and only major strength is their music, which is why their concerts are so packed.

1 hour ago, arbit said:

:lol::lol: We 80's Macross fans are ever optimistic. You young 'uns don't know what we went through.  

Granted, Mythbusters did rather conclusively prove that it's possible to polish a turd... but in the final analysis all the polish in the world can't make it any less sh*t.

That's what rational fans are looking at the Macross Delta: Gekijo no Walkure movie as: a superficial improvement to something fundamentally unpleasant.

5 minutes ago, Focslain said:

So in the case of not much dojins, might it be that there is more than enough waifu-bait out there? If the info from the Speaker Podcast guys is correct, then Walkure is known more for their music then the anime and could explain lack of imagery. There is also the point that Delta was paper thin in plot and character development.

Considering Walkure was basically supposed to be carrying Macross Delta, it's still rather surprising that there's so little for the series.  The lack of character development across the board is likely an explanation for it but it doesn't really diminish the impact of the sheer lack of fan material from the series.  Even the characters of Walkure in the series don't seem to be popular enough to muster a decent volume of fanart.

No reviews out yet, but Tochiro was on Twitter a short while ago raving about it and saying one should follow shortly. So I'd expect the podcast guys to deliver something within the next 24 hours to strike while the iron is hot.

3 hours ago, Marzan said:

No reviews out yet, but Tochiro was on Twitter a short while ago raving about it and saying one should follow shortly. So I'd expect the podcast guys to deliver something within the next 24 hours to strike while the iron is hot.

Raving about it?

I just watched the movie a few hours ago. While my Japanese level is far from perfect I was able to understand most of the movie except an important little part in the last few minutes of the movie. 
I will try to avoid spoilers, so I can’t talk about several things. First, if you dislike too much Delta then the movie won’t change your mind. However, I can say that the movie is far superior to the anime. Maybe I was with very low expectations or maybe I am starting to lower my expectations of movies in general or maybe I was excited to see my first Macross movie in a theater; I’m not sure but I really enjoined most of the movie.
The anime had several good moments but it also had too many terrible (not just bad, terrible) moments. The plot was a mess and probably without the mechas and the Macross name we would stop watching the show. Well, the movie is super focused in what it worked in the anime and they stripped almost all the crap and non-sense (so they removed a lot of things). Of course, the idol stuff is there and there are problems with the plot and character development but it’s a better plot altogether and with way better pace.
It is great? I don’t think so but in my opinion is a better movie than most of us will expect from Delta.
Also, as always the mechas are awesome.

Note: the boobs of the girls increased their size a little. And why anime artists draw boobs as breast implants all the time? Yes, I know, big boobs in Japan means implants but still…

Note2: I received a Reina gift with my movie ticket.

Reina.jpg

5 minutes ago, JIS said:

I just watched the movie a few hours ago. While my Japanese level is far from perfect I was able to understand most of the movie except an important little part in the last few minutes of the movie. 
I will try to avoid spoilers, so I can’t talk about several things. First, if you dislike too much Delta then the movie won’t change your mind. However, I can say that the movie is far superior to the anime. Maybe I was with very low expectations or maybe I am starting to lower my expectations of movies in general or maybe I was excited to see my first Macross movie in a theater; I’m not sure but I really enjoined most of the movie.
The anime had several good moments but it also had too many terrible (not just bad, terrible) moments. The plot was a mess and probably without the mechas and the Macross name we would stop watching the show. Well, the movie is super focused in what it worked in the anime and they stripped almost all the crap and non-sense (so they removed a lot of things). Of course, the idol stuff is there and there are problems with the plot and character development but it’s a better plot altogether and with way better pace.
It is great? I don’t think so but in my opinion is a better movie than most of us will expect from Delta.

Note: the boobs of the girls increased their size a little. And why anime artists draw boobs as breast implants all the time? Yes, I know, big boobs in Japan means implants but still…

Thanks for your input, JIS. :good:

Does that mean Reina had a boob job as well? Wow. She's not petite anymore. :lol: 

Edited by no3Ljm

32 minutes ago, JIS said:

Reina.jpg

So how much of the movie was the same as the series (scenes and footage) and how much was completely new scenes and footage?

Just now, Sandman said:

So how much of the movie was the same as the series (scenes and footage) and how much was completely new scenes and footage?

The following could be considered spoilers for some people: The Delta movie is closer (way more) to the anime than the first Frontier movie was to the Frontier anime. Plenty of scenes were reused. But I think their criteria of what to reuse and what to do completely new was for the most part good. I still feel that some good scene were left behind, specially Mirage, but I can't complain too much.

43 minutes ago, JIS said:

Booooo.....

37 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Does that mean Reina had a boob job as well? Wow. She's not petite anymore. :lol: 

...oooOOO.....

34 minutes ago, JIS said:

Not her, but still fairly big boobs for a petite girl.

...OOO!!!

....b.

:D

(No but for real boob size changes all the time depending on the fetish of the current animator. I remember me back in the day when Asuka Langley went from like a D to A-cup over the course of the show.)

Anyway, it's good to hear the movie is tighter than the series, at least, though that kind of seems like a given. As for the spoilered mecha,

Is that supposed to be a Mirage-color Draken? Like the Messer VF-31 equipped with Lil' Drakens?

1 minute ago, kajnrig said:

Booooo.....

...oooOOO.....

...OOO!!!

....b.

:D

(No but for real boob size changes all the time depending on the fetish of the current animator. I remember me back in the day when Asuka Langley went from like a D to A-cup over the course of the show.)

Anyway, it's good to hear the movie is tighter than the series, at least, though that kind of seems like a given. As for the spoilered mecha,

Hide contents

Is that supposed to be a Mirage-color Draken? Like the Messer VF-31 equipped with Lil' Drakens?

Boobs are important in the movie!!

And about your question...

Spoiler

Do you really want to know so many details?

Spoiler

Yes, there is a Mirage-color Draken with Lil Drakens.

11 hours ago, SuperHobo said:

I'm hearing there's a lot more action in this movie. How's the valkyrie combat? Does Arad do something cool in that armored VF-31S? 

Spoiler

Arad and Chuck both have armored VF-31's. They kick some buts, of course, but nothing extraordinary. Seeing the armored version was cool enough though.

The combat was also very recycled from the anime (not a bad thing) but it had some new cool scenes too and it was well paced.

Edited by JIS

50 minutes ago, JIS said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Arad and Chuck have both armored VF-31s. They kick some buts, of course, but nothing extraordinary. Seeing the armored version was cool enough though.

The combat is also very recycled from the anime (not a bad thing) but it also have some new cool scenes too and it was well paced.

Cool. Thanks for the info! Now to wait like 6-8 months for the blu-ray disk. :lol:

1 hour ago, JIS said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Arad and Chuck have both armored VF-31s. They kick some buts, of course, but nothing extraordinary. Seeing the armored version was cool enough though.

The combat is also very recycled from the anime (not a bad thing) but it also have some new cool scenes too and it was well paced.

Spoiler

Perhaps less scissoring? :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Sandman said:

I wonder if Messer dies the same way.

Someone on Discord said it's slightly different. 

Messer and Keith's duel is longer, and it ends with Keith fatally wounding Messer, Messer's fighter crashes, and he dies in Kaname's arms.

Edited by SMS007

JIS you are probably the best link we have to the movie now other than when the delta movie podcast comes.

Thanks for answering!

btw how's the usage of the 31A's? :p

1 hour ago, JIS said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

Wait a min, you mean chuck pilots another 31s? So it isnt a yellow 31 armored? Are both arad and chucks armor parts the same color?

1 minute ago, SMS007 said:

Someone on Discord said it's slightly different. 

Hide contents

Messer's fighter crashes, and he dies in Kaname's arms.

BOOOOOO...

8 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Perhaps less scissoring? :rolleyes:

...oobs? :D Idols and fighters have forever ruined that word for me.