RTKF 1/72 "Legult" Build Ups

Return To Kit Form

G'day plastic hackers and resin bashers!

Man am I glad to be back and I thought I would share this commission build for one of the board members. But a quick history on the kit first.

About 10 years ago Captain America sculpted his first Tactical pod complete with interior. It was a thing of beaty and blew away the old Imai/Bandai plastic kit which was prett scarce at the time (as well as scaling out at around 1/100 if I remember correctly). With the first run sold out the good Captain went on to produce the rest of the line up with several reissues over time. 

In late 2015 I negotiated with the Captain to buy a number of Patterns, with the "Legults" being one of them. We have been working on reissuing them this year and are currently waiting on decals before we can ship everything out.

The Build:

This particular kit is being traded away in a deal to a toy collector as an assembled and painted example ready for display. I have already completed cleanup of the parts so that I could take some imagery for the new instructions I am compiling and tacked it together enough to get some photos. Here is what it looked like when I started today:

20170805_155451.thumb.jpg.bad969021ba64712fca08cfc66e1934b.jpg

And here is what is looked like a few minutes later:

20170805_160701.thumb.jpg.65a40308341f9c9f5f99f36ee31a3d84.jpg

I'll be going back and fixing up a few blemished and getting it all in primer of the next couple of day so keep your eyes peeled :)

Cheers until next time,

Brett T

Edited by Return To Kit Form

21 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

Awesome job

Thanks Convestuoso, but I think you might have been a bit quick on the trigger...

Despite everything I couldn't get the ball joints to work properly. The kit is too tall and too heavy and the joints are just not tight enough. The overall assembly is just too rickety and fidgety. I'll replace all the bits that were permanently modified and built this as a static kit. 

No new pictures unfortunately as it is just more of the same.

10 hours ago, Jinnai said:

Waiting patiently for mine! I was lucky to notice the pre order on facebook when I did. :)

Nice! Your kits are sitting in the cupboard right now waiting for me to finish the instructions and for the decals to arrive. He better hurry up as the end of August is not far away 

13 hours ago, Return To Kit Form said:

IS it a bad sign when you are the only one posting in your own thread? Oh well I never was one to get the hint...

I'm really into this thread! I'm just shy. Please, keep posting pics of the build process!

16 hours ago, Return To Kit Form said:

IS it a bad sign when you are the only one posting in your own thread? Oh well I never was one to get the hint

Not really. Everyone is probably waiting for the finished build to comment. Plus they are waiting in the shadows for the next build update.

12 hours ago, wmkjr said:

Not really. Everyone is probably waiting for the finished build to comment. Plus they are waiting in the shadows for the next build update.

Ah cool. Is it just me or is the model section a lot quieter than it used to be (as in a few years ago)?

3 hours ago, big F said:

We're watchin!!

That being the case I need an opinion on this paint I mixed up. Too green? I'm two minds about it myself so maybe I should wait until I can spray a test.

20170814_160454.jpg.f8deaaa3695a441ac6ab552a37c45da0.jpg

Actually it looks a lot more blue in person 

I'd go with a spay test, the amount of times I've been both pleased or disapointed with a colour just because I didn't test spray it first. The whole dry it lighten/darken thing always gets me even when I try and use "experience" to point the way.

This is looking really good! You are right, there are fewer model posts all the way around. Even the most popular "What's on your workbench" thread is getting less traffic. - MT

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Spanner it was a blast building it. Now I just have to get one and build one for myself along with it's brothers.

I delayed updating the thread here because I was pressed for time and chose sleep over forum updates, so here is the catch up:

After sparaying a test patch I was happy with the colour and it look great under a coat of Tamiya semi gloss clear:20170905_061620.thumb.jpg.9fa39924d33a3a7a8adacaf17e93eb02.jpg

So after a quick shot of primer I sprayed the base coat and the grey. Unfortunately something went wrong and the paint lifted when I peeled of the masking tape.20170905_061554.thumb.jpg.1a211c4d67c3d3af7812d8d1f20f446f.jpg

This issue repeated itself all over the kit so I had to strip the lot back and start again. It was pretty demoralising but hey you just have to crack on right? In the end I am pretty sure that I missed a step and didn't clean all the mould release off and give the surface a nice tooth with a scrub of cleanser.

A couple of days later I was back at this stage:

20170911_061909_LLS.thumb.jpg.661bce79c487b2285f2e3f00cdaccb88.jpg20170911_234333.thumb.jpg.7a9a32d5282e918a4302e3fc71ef8c81.jpg20170911_234430.thumb.jpg.460502d5b9b9e765817e7fd9c403e084.jpg

And things were looking pretty good :) After that it was just a matter adding the decals and putting the time in decolourising and applying a subtle oil paint shading.

End result:20170916_221851.thumb.jpg.f4ab22c27dbe645918b0608b58157af1.jpg 

20170916_221729.thumb.jpg.2b3747735fb11bfdf2689aaae9c7d40e.jpg

20170916_221825.thumb.jpg.6ff49a44533ffa8f28da3f855e1c081e.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't have to take and good shots on a clean background but that is okay - I'll just build another B))

5 hours ago, Return To Kit Form said:

20170916_221729.thumb.jpg.2b3747735fb11bfdf2689aaae9c7d40e.jpg

:shok::wub:

12 hours ago, Return To Kit Form said:

Cool I hope it brings a smike for years to come. :D

Btw I updated the thread title and I'll put all my Legult builds here. Ive already started on the next one!

I'm sure it will! I can't stop staring at it! Better be careful and not pay it too much attention or else the gf will start getting jealous of it! LOL! :p

19 hours ago, Kelsain said:

That blue looks great, RTKF!

Cheers Kelsain, it's a custom mix of Tamiya acrylics (quantities in ml):

XF-18 = 2.5

XF-80 = 1.25

X-2 = 3.5

XF-8 = 2

XF-3 = 1

10 hours ago, spanner said:

I'm sure it will! I can't stop staring at it! Better be careful and not pay it too much attention or else the gf will start getting jealous of it! LOL! :p

Ha ha just tell her to get her own honey smacks :)