19 hours ago, Valkyrie Driver said:

I keep trying to watch the Macross Saga, just to try and compare and contrast with SDFM, and I just can't seem to do it. It's almost like it causes me physical discomfort. I haven't felt as bad as that since the end of my rotation at JRTC after eating MRE's for 3 weeks. The feeling of being gassy, constipated, nauseous, all at once, with the feeling of fever, and cold sweats, the literal worst I've ever felt.  

In my opinion, US MREs taste a lot better than Canadian IMPs (individual meal packets).  Have you ever been issued ones with a warning label like this?

maxresdefault.jpg

I actually got one just like this on my last exercise, lol!

1 hour ago, peter said:

In my opinion, US MREs taste a lot better than Canadian IMPs (individual meal packets).  Have you ever been issued ones with a warning label like this?

maxresdefault.jpg

I actually got one just like this on my last exercise, lol!

Actually, sort of. When I was in BMT it came down that the vanilla dairy shakes in some of the lots might be tainted with salmonella. So we could not enjoy our powdered dairy shakes, which Ironically were the only thing that was actually edible in some of the MRE's. Also, don't misunderstand me, MRE's don't taste bad, it's just a literal PITA when they finally transit. Which was what caused the occurrence of the literal worst I ever felt, until I tried to watch Robotech...

A friend of mine got a batch of them back in the eighties, the first production run I believe.  Gave me the runs like nothing ever since.

Best MRE's I ever had were the spaghetti ones and one called "buttered noodles". It's been 18 years but I'm still trying to find the buttered noodles ones again. I just haven't found anything like it in grocery stores.

I would rather crap my bowels inside out from eating MREs than look at Titan Comic's version of Minmay again.

P.S. The Stroganoff MRE is actually ok!

21 hours ago, Dynaman said:

A friend of mine got a batch of them back in the eighties, the first production run I believe.  Gave me the runs like nothing ever since.

I think they only stay good for 5 years.

7 minutes ago, Roy Focker said:

Not that you'd notice a change in edibility once they went bad... ;)

28 minutes ago, Roy Focker said:

We were told by our staff that they tasted ok up to 5 years past expiry, and actually edible for up to 8 yrs past expiry.

The chocolate bars are almost always white by the time we get them, lol!

Edited by peter

22 hours ago, Valkyrie Driver said:

Actually, sort of. When I was in BMT it came down that the vanilla dairy shakes in some of the lots might be tainted with salmonella. So we could not enjoy our powdered dairy shakes, which Ironically were the only thing that was actually edible in some of the MRE's. Also, don't misunderstand me, MRE's don't taste bad, it's just a literal PITA when they finally transit. Which was what caused the occurrence of the literal worst I ever felt, until I tried to watch Robotech...

I'd rather eat MREs for a month than watch Robotech again, lol! 

1 hour ago, Roy Focker said:

That's not strictly correct. MRE's are shelf stable, which means that they'll stay edible for a good long while. The stated shelf life is 5 years, which is when the military will rotate the unused cases out. They're actually good up to 10 years after their shelf life. 

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Not that you'd notice a change in edibility once they went bad... ;)

Yeah, you actually don't.

1 hour ago, peter said:

I'd rather eat MREs for a month than watch Robotech again, lol! 

I don't mind eating MRE's. Though, they're hard to get since I got out of the military. Mountain House is actually really good, and packs a lot easier. You do need a jetboil though because the Mountain House stuff is dehydrated. Packs a lot easier though. 

Eating MRE's for a month would be easy. Watching Robotech would be hard. I would also gladly bear the consequences of a month of eating MRE's than read these comics.

3 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

That was back in the eighties, so they were less then 5 years old when we ate them.

I lost like an hour of my life watching a Youtube dude eating MRE's from around the world. I blame Harmony Gold.

3 minutes ago, Gerli said:

I lost like an hour of my life watching a Youtube dude eating MRE's from around the world. I blame Harmony Gold.

Same here. Hahaha! I've watched atleast 4 clips of him. :lol: 

In the end, I find it educational. Now I'm considering to get an MRE supply for my son's emergency food at school for natural disasters. ;) 

5 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

In the end, I find it educational. Now I'm considering to get an MRE supply for my son's emergency food at school for natural disasters. ;) 

So... an unnatural disaster to ward off the consequences of a natural disaster?

13 minutes ago, Gerli said:

Substantially more entertainment value than reading Titan's Robotech comic or watching the show.

4 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

So... an unnatural disaster to ward off the consequences of a natural disaster?

Don't worry. Not planning on giving him a 28 year old MRE pack. :lol:

32 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Same here. Hahaha! I've watched atleast 4 clips of him. :lol: 

Same here^^

Watching brazilian youtubers eating MRE XD

7 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:
7 hours ago, Gerli said:

Substantially more entertainment value than reading Titan's Robotech comic or watching the show.

Agreed, all of this.