Robotech and REMIX by Titan Comics

Old_Nash

18 hours ago, Knight26 said:

The fact that we are actually getting some enjoyment out of a Robotech project, even just to make fun of it, while giving 00000 money to HG makes me happy.

Apart from the Animeigo DVD box set and a few comics before I knew better, I don't recall giving HG any money since I joined this forum, not that my ongoing 16 year boycott really makes a difference.

Edited by peter

Robotech #24 (yes, I jump the 23, because the worst stay in the ending...)

Cover... WTF!!!

RCO001_1568224036.thumb.jpg.a5eed37e26d77317eb142b8284fe3c81.jpg

Robotech Flashback 19XX

RCO005_w_1568224036.thumb.jpg.328de82aa09f5e12e77f47d8ce7f8d3b.jpg

Operation Opptera... realy Titan??

RCO006_1568224036.thumb.jpg.fc811e96651f26ba2bb158cdb761890b.jpg

Operation Optera Part II

RCO012_1568224036.thumb.jpg.911a1f8c97fe7075d2b8e0e71adb1530.jpg

Shadow Portal? Ok it's done, I quit!

RCO014_1568224036.thumb.jpg.80c55f4fdd1e9210c7524f412208b74b.jpg

Nice "fight scene"

RCO017_1568224036.thumb.jpg.c797a44f2de0c47019fd538e03cc094c.jpg

Use the force Minmei...

RCO018_1568224036.thumb.jpg.8be1d005bd2d8cda47eee11a3f8bea61.jpg

Robotech - Fight for Multiverse!

RCO021_w_1568224036.thumb.jpg.02d6deea2d979c71aef9121efc4a5685.jpg

Minmei go to the same place where Saotome Alto was.

RCO022_1568224036.thumb.jpg.317feaae34b13701b1f9a0ace1c5b3d6.jpg

Multiverse paradox?

RCO023_1568224036.thumb.jpg.d82cfa3426eb4a7d56180d1067deb57e.jpg

Happy ending (?)

RCO024_1568224036.thumb.jpg.51da1e31e1d3852c72cc096bf0a6b5dc.jpg

Bonus trash: Curtain Call  Part 5

RCO025_1568224036.thumb.jpg.839e7c150c2f5eab395166d7dc884d19.jpg

Yellow Lance, Minmei's relative?

RCO026_1568224036.thumb.jpg.c8fa42f62de45e441a4185674bb63490.jpg

And it's done...

They back in remix!

59 minutes ago, Old_Nash said:

Nice "fight scene"

I love that not only is that SDF-1 blatantly traced from a specifically identifiable toy stock photo; but it's clear that they traced and colored it at a larger size then down-scaled it so they could paste it into that panel.

81Emei1VE1L._SX425_.jpg.c666dceed7ae8ae67403d3c6979d785b.jpg

2 hours ago, Einherjar said:

I warned you all.  For months, even years I warned everyone that it would end this way.  They really killed Minmay to save not just the franchise, but the Robotech universe as a whole.

This is what, the second time they've done that?  It's more merciful than what they did to her in the old Sentinels material, where she went from borderline stalking "Rick" at and after his wedding to being a homewrecker preying on his subordinates.

It looks like the goal was exactly what we thought it was from the word go... to write the Masters Saga and New Generation out of existence so they could pursue a Macross-derivative ongoing story.

51 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

This is what, the second time they've done that?  It's more merciful than what they did to her in the old Sentinels material, where she went from borderline stalking "Rick" at and after his wedding to being a homewrecker preying on his subordinates.

It looks like the goal was exactly what we thought it was from the word go... to write the Masters Saga and New Generation out of existence so they could pursue a Macross-derivative ongoing story.

Macross derivative? So it would still come back to the SDF-1 and the VF-1 again for the next 36 years...

She is not exactly dead, just went away somewhere.  I agree, even dead is better then the evil villain castoff tramp she ends up in the older stuff.

That ending has a "we ran out of money and wrapped up 36 episodes in 24" vibe going.  Granted I'm not reading anything but the preview pages but things sure seemed rushed.

You would think, that for the final issue, they might have stepped up the art quality, or at least learned how scale and perspective works.

And am I the only who finds the release date, 9/11, just the least bit ironic?

Edited by Knight26

3 hours ago, Dynaman said:

She is not exactly dead, just went away somewhere.  I agree, even dead is better then the evil villain castoff tramp she ends up in the older stuff.

That ending has a "we ran out of money and wrapped up 36 episodes in 24" vibe going.  Granted I'm not reading anything but the preview pages but things sure seemed rushed.

To me, this whole venture started out as a reboot, then drifted into an attempt to do metaphysical reboot with the universe, then got all the window dressing you would see from an anniversary show, and ended in the most half assed, self serving way possible.  Think Avengers Endgame, Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse, or even Macross 30, except that trip down memory lane (anything made after episode 85 of the show) is filled with material of questionable quality and merit in the real world yet presented in a positive light.  Oh, and toss in the virgin (?) blood sacrifice of a Japanese idol as an egregious way to fix everything.

And to top it off, Brian Wood, I think he was the main guy in charge of this series at one point, couldn't even stay to see this to the end.  The Transformers guy has top billing for it.

The thing is, unless you are a hard core Robotech fan, then there are a lot of easter eggs and characters that will just fly right by, or make you go, "huh?"  The further left you go in the "X-Men attacking panel" the less characters anyone outside the Robotech fandom will recognize.  Even then, most won't know who they are.

It's almost like the writers of this saw what Macros the First started to do and said, "hey we can do better then that."  Obviously they failed at that, while we may never see the end of Mac-First, the quality was far superior, in every way. 

The whole time loop nonsense seemed built in from the beginning, and that is what sent them down this road to stupidity.  And it all did feel super rushed after the midpoint, like they realized they were losing readers so they decided to just clean slate it at the end, wiping away everything from their back catalog that came after so that they could create their own "original" story after.  Really though, that story looks like it will be some weird mashup of Sentinels and Mac-7 based on those preview pages.

Oh, and the Roy Marrying Claudia bit at the end, that was pure pandering.  While I think many fans wanted to see that, Roy's arc in the original, and his death, was an important part of Hikaru's character growth and progression.  To take that away really hurts his character arc.  

39 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

I must not be a big RT fan, I have NO IDEA who Captain Noble is, and all I can remember about Suzy Kramer is that I might have heard the name before but probably didn't.

Did someone really come up with Karl Riber, Invid Hunter back in the 80’s/90’s?

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

I must not be a big RT fan, I have NO IDEA who Captain Noble is, and all I can remember about Suzy Kramer is that I might have heard the name before but probably didn't.

They're from the failed Robotech 3000 series concept.

6 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

So they threw all the, err spaghetti, on the wall to see what would stick?

Yes.  They basically referenced every Robotech property they could except for Robotech Academy.

22 hours ago, anime52k8 said:

I love that not only is that SDF-1 blatantly traced from a specifically identifiable toy stock photo; but it's clear that they traced and colored it at a larger size then down-scaled it so they could paste it into that panel.

81Emei1VE1L._SX425_.jpg.c666dceed7ae8ae67403d3c6979d785b.jpg

Lol, that's shameless.

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Yes.  They basically referenced every Robotech property they could except for Robotech Academy.

Even Valkyrie Project? :lol:

(Maybe there is an Argentinian pilot somewhere :p )

But in reality we all are especting this guys to appear...

karbarran-male.gif

Edited by Gerli

• 2 weeks later...

Spoiler Alert for Event Horizon Chapter 1 or Issue 21 July 2019

Spoiler

1. A panel in the Introduction page shows the SDF-1 crashing into a city on Macross Island. This is the beginning of the time loop of future Amiral Rick Hunter sending the SDF-1 back to Earth to begin the story arc of this comic at Issue 1. However, Issue 1 depicted the usual version of the uninhabited Macross Island. This is likely an artist’s error showing the SDF-1 landing on a city.

2. Just FYI, in Issue 19 after killing an evil clone of Roy, Rick is assigned Skull-One but remains the leader of the Vermillion Squadron with Max and Persy in his squadron.

3. Rick and Minmei’s new protoculture super powers allow them to participate in mutual dreaming and view a future Earth of Invid enslaved humans.

4. Max can’t stop thinking about Miriya.

5. Claudia Grant and a micronized Miriya are onboard the SDF-1 space docked at Moon Base Aluce. It seems Miriya and Lazlo Zand are independently sneaking around the SDF-1.

6. The RDF is unable to penetrate into Lazlo Zand’s interdimensional hiding space and are also attempting to seal the breach in the fabric of space where the space fold engines were located.

7. Rick joins Lisa and Admiral Hayes at Alaska Base to evaluate Dana Sterling in stasis using his protoculture enhanced eyesight. He is able to see his future self as Admiral Rick Hunter.

8. Karl Riber reveals Mars Base was developing Shadowtech which seems to have accidentally sent him to Optera. This is later revealed in Issue 24.

9. The Regess reveals an Invid brain called a Hybrid Over-Mind which she created from Organic Invid engineering and terran technology. She will now use a portal to steal protoculture from all realities.

10. Dana reveals future Admiral Rick Hunter’s plan was to have her exit stasis when the SDF-1 arrived on Earth. She is now 10 years delayed and far along in the same time loop of events.

11. The Regess penetrates the future reality of the quasi-in-universe failed Robotech 3000 franchise restart/reset/reboot set in the year 3000.

Edited by Brofessor
reboot to franchise reset/reboot

Spoiler Alert for Curtain Call Part 2 of 5 appearing as a backup in Event Horizon Chapter 1 Issue 21 July 2019

Spoiler

1. Having now read all 5 parts of this backup, I suspect it begins at the conclusion of Issue 24 possibly. Minmei is dead in this backup but she is very much alive in Issue 21’s main story.

2. The concert is in New Macross City.

3. A hologram Minmei addresses Max in the audience which alarms Max. He calls Commander Hunter on the SDF-1.

4. This is the Miriya from the timeline of the Titan Comics. She is offended by Max’s attitude, punches him in the nose, and storms off.

5. Miriya seems to be aware she was his wife in another timeline and implies he was not attractive to Earth women which is why he married a naive Zentreadi.

17 minutes ago, Brofessor said:

This is likely an artist’s error showing the SDF-1 landing on a city.

Really, the only artist's error here is working on this comic... this will definitely not be going on their resumes when they're done.:rofl:

Mind you, the worse sin here is definitely the writer's.  It's transparently obvious they're back to the old school ripoff behavior of Antarctic Press, throwing any and every piece of sh*t at the wall in the hopes that one will stick.  It's the usual Robotech comic book affair... a disgraceful mess without the slightest trace of artistic integrity or dignity.

18 minutes ago, Brofessor said:

11. The Regess penetrates the failed future Robotech 3000 reboot set in the year 3000.

Robotech 3000 was not a reboot... it was developed as a far-future sequel/spinoff to the Robotech television series.

Robotech was rebooted for the first - and thus far, only - time in 2001 after Harmony Gold cancelled all development of Robotech 3000 for the second time and brought in Tommy Yune to replace Carl Macek as franchise creative director.

Spoiler

Robotech 3000 was cancelled twice before the project was ultimately abandoned.  

The first cancellation came hot on the heels of Netter Digital's first Robotech 3000 teaser trailer being screened at FAnimeCon 2000.  The response to the trailer was so vehemently, universally negative that Harmony Gold cancelled production of the series shortly thereafter.  This cancellation also led to Netter Digital ceasing operations in mid-2000, which had been counting on combined revenues from Dan Dare: Pilot of the FutureMax Steel, and Robotech 3000 to keep the lights on after losing their main client (Babylonian Productions) when the Babylon 5 spinoff Crusade was cancelled halfway into the first season of its planned five season run.  Harmony Gold would later blame Robotech 3000's cancellation on Netter Digital going bankrupt.

The second cancellation came some months later, after Carl Macek pitched the Robotech 3000 series to his superiors at Harmony Gold for the second time... as a traditionally-animated series to be produced by Tatsunoko Production.  This obviously terrible idea seems to have been the last straw for Harmony Gold, who brought in Tommy Yune to replace him and aggressively removed his plans and ideas from Robotech thereafter.

5 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

I think he meant that the Regess penetrates a reboot of Robotech 3000

In what sense is it a reboot?  They never made the series beyond a single trailer, and what we see is just a handful of characters from that embarrassingly awful trailer...

Agreed. They literally could have just ignored all previous media, done a whole new story and not bothered with all of... this. If they wanted to do a new take on the story, just do a new one.

I think I'd have preferred it if they'd made Robotech an anthology back in the day, and used the common name to bring a ton of properties to the US. And I say this as someone who practically breathed Robotech when it aired.

Trying to tie them together was a neat idea, and the whole time loop thing was ambitious and one of those "if done right would be awesome" ideas, but there was no follow-through. At least, none worth speaking of. There still hasn't been. :(

• Old_Nash changed the title to Robotech and REMIX by Titan Comics
  • azrael locked this topic