Robotech and REMIX by Titan Comics

Old_Nash

33 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I know if I saw a book with cover art that badly drawn, there'd be no way I'd be willing to pick it up.

Like the song goes, "it was acceptable in the 80's"... but today, you can find art of substantially higher quality from high schoolers on DeviantArt.  Someone who doesn't know who Jason and John Waltrip are would be left to wonder if they farmed the cover out to an unpaid intern.  Normally one shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but in comics the cover is what's supposed to promote the book.  It won't matter how good or bad the contents are if the packaging screams "this is amateur hour".

I mean, they are trying to market this book to someone besides just Robotech fans right?

Right. But don't people also examine interior art before making a buy or don't buy decision?

I don't buy a comic before I see what it's artwork is like.

14 minutes ago, Podtastic said:

Right. But don't people also examine interior art before making a buy or don't buy decision?

I don't buy a comic before I see what it's artwork is like.

Granted, but the cover and/or title are what get your attention.

The title's not going to grab anyone who's not already a Robotech fan, and that atrocious cover art isn't going to encourage many (if any) to pick it up outside of maybe morbid curiosity.

I admit I would do a double take seeing a RT comic at the shop. Generally,the cover would define any further interest after that. 

I might look thru it out of morbid curiosity..

Unfortunately, because it’s RT,  I would tend to ignore it like the Archie and Scooby-Doo comics. 

But heck. If these guys are generating a fan base and people like it, more power to them. 

10 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Granted, but the cover and/or title are what get your attention.

The title's not going to grab anyone who's not already a Robotech fan, and that atrocious cover art isn't going to encourage many (if any) to pick it up outside of maybe morbid curiosity.

I think that the standard covers are there to get people's attention, and draw in new readers.

These alternate covers are usually shipped in much smaller quantities (like 1 copy of a special cover per 10 or 20 standard covers that a shop orders) and are usually sold by comic shops immediately marked up, aimed at collectors (i.e. someone who is an established fan and has an affection for the Waltrips, in this case).

• 4 weeks later...

Bullet POints of 18

-Rick cry about "death" of Roy

-Bodolzaa apear with Factory Satellite (!) and shoots in the Earth(!!)

006_013.jpg.6786da1cb4fa3c4e5cc987f7b1eeea0f.jpg006_024.thumb.jpg.d45a91f9e16087b97512e03cf8a715df.jpg

-Invid have micronians in inside qhat trying to replaces humanity(!!!)

006_018.jpg.7958566c24d1dc2b3e34768281addbfd.jpg

Gloval back to the death in a clone (!!!!)

006_019.jpg.3bfcea2cf6ac52752ca345ae1896e1c0.jpg

36 minutes ago, Old_Nash said:

Bodolzaa apear with Factory Satellite (!) and shoots in the Earth(!!)

This week on Photoshop Sins...

44 minutes ago, Old_Nash said:

So, do they shave the clone in the tank...?

Or does the cloning process replicate facial grooming?  :p 

1 hour ago, sketchley said:

I didn't know HG had the license for material from there... :ph34r:

Flagrant copyright infringement has been a part of the Robotech comics experience almost from day one.

It got especially bad in the 90's when the license was held by Academy Comics (1994-1996) and Antarctic Press (1997-1998).  They would frequently "borrow" characters and designs from Macross sequels and other mecha anime of the period, and sometimes even steal entire plots from whatever the anime or sci-fi flavor-of-the-month was.  My personal favorites there are:

• Academy's Robotech: the Misfits, which illegally used the VF-4 and Captain Higgins from Macross Plus.  (Canceled after one issue, lol.)
  • Antarctic's Robotech: Wings of Gibraltar, with its not-a-VF-19F-honest!, plentiful tracing of VF-1s from DYRL artbooks, and one character was literally Brent Spiner's character from Independence Day (traced, not redrawn, so he was in a different art style from everyone else for the entire book!).
  • Antarctic's promo Robotech: Crystal Dreams for the vaporware video game by the same name, which was like 90% traced from DYRL art.

29 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

My only question is how much HG paid to have the review not just be a full page of gagging noises as the reader tries not to throw up.

Bullet POints of 18

-Rick cry about "death" of Roy

-Bodolzaa apear with Factory Satellite (!) and shoots in the Earth(!!)

006_013.jpg.6786da1cb4fa3c4e5cc987f7b1eeea0f.jpg006_024.thumb.jpg.d45a91f9e16087b97512e03cf8a715df.jpg

-Invid have micronians in inside qhat trying to replaces humanity(!!!)

006_018.jpg.7958566c24d1dc2b3e34768281addbfd.jpg

That Invid Mecha is pure heresy!:angry:

Good that Gloval is back, now they can put him back in command and reassign the temporary stand-in. After paying her a stand-in allowance of course.:p

On that Photoshop sin picture - at least a couple of the Zentraidi ships that are farther away have been pasted in front of the closer ship.  Even I wouldn't have made that bad a mistake.

its a step backwards art wise

.I would cheer due to them giving Khyron his hair back in this issue but they ruined it by having  Zentraedi speech patterns, in the very same panels, that  are completely wacked.  The words "ass" and " screwed" have no business coming from Zentraedi elites such as Khyron and Azonia. ,

Edited by Podtastic

The words "ass" and " screwed" have no business coming from Zentraedi elites such as Khyron and Azonia. ,

It's almost like it's being written by someone that neither likes nor gives a crap about Robotech... ;) 

Really, the best part of this comic is how few f*cks the people working on it give.

It's almost like it's being written by someone that neither likes nor gives a crap about Robotech... ;) 

Really, the best part of this comic is how few f*cks the people working on it give.

In fairness, I don't think Furman has given a crap about anything he's worked on in the last decade.

• 3 weeks later...

How is this crap still in print?  HOW?  

Seriously, we're hitting levels of soap opera BS and M. Night Shyamalan hack twists that shouldn't be possible.

Not going to comment on the writing. I think that's been beaten to death (or should be...).

As for the art, I think it's pretty decent. Not necessarily my cup of tea, but if you consider this an original creation (which, being so different from the original story, it might as well be) and thus not hamstrung by the original character designs, then I think that this artist is doing a pretty good job.

Better than the story deserves.

EDIT:

Guess the whole thing hadn't loaded when I looked.

I take back some of my previous statement: Khyron and Azonia look terrible, especially in the profile shot. Yes to the Neanderthals comment... or maybe some sort of bobble-head mutation.

Edited by RavenHawk
Ugh... took a closer look

Judging by the return of Spacebieber, yep. 

I'm more amused at how the spy trio look like traced fashion models, and Kaifun manages to look like a cardboard cutout of a rejected sailor scout within the same panel. :lol:

As far as the plot goes... I think it would actually work better in text form, so you didn't have those eye-gouging distractions going on all the time.  It'd still be a mess, but I'm actually genuinely curious to see where this crazy train eventually goes.

I'm also still hoping that at some point, they begin cloning so many copies of Focker that the SDF-1 is just overrun with them, they drive all the bars out of business, and then form a ridiculous drunken mecha legion to conquer the universe in search of more booze.  Either that, or each successive clone becomes more and more mutated, and they eventually just start shoving all the mutations into a gym to keep track of them.

Edit: Or even better.. as the Fockers get dumber, they just start reenacting Three Stooges bits.

Lazlo: "Find Roy Focker.."

Roy clone 1 and 2: "......"  They each just point to the other.

Edited by Chronocidal

1 hour ago, mickyg said:

All I know is, I keep coming back here to see what you all come up with. I mean the comic is one thing, but the commentary is just the best thing ever!

Lol. Agreed. 

I could go on but you all are doing just fine. :diablo:

11 hours ago, Old_Nash said:

Laslo and the Fokkers and Gloval return...

016_024.thumb.jpg.77481ebd021e448313520a99cf10cbca.jpg

I'm so confused, is that supposed to be Roy? Are there Roy clones now? Why did skynet make a terminator that looks like Freddie Mercury?

Edited by anime52k8

3 hours ago, anime52k8 said:

Are there Roy clones now? Why did skynet make a terminator that looks like Freddie Mercury?

Not "Skynet," but Lazlo Zand... and not "Terminators," just duplicates.

"Clones" is equally inaccurate, because it's impossible to clone a hairstyle (or a mustache).*

* Of course, the artists and/or writers probably just don't understand how cloning works.  <_<