Robotech and REMIX by Titan Comics

Old_Nash

On 11/17/2018 at 6:38 PM, tekering said:

Actually, the art has very much improved... except on the cover.  <_<

RCO001.jpg

This reminds me of Heavy Metal, the movie as well as some of the stories in the magazine as it existed in the early 90s.

I like Heavy Metal.  The movie is a fun watch.  Some of the stories from the magazine have been fairly cool.  But in this case saying the art above reminds me of Heavy Metal is not a compliment.

Lisa (I guess it's supposed to be Lisa)...  I'm almost certain I've seen an issue of Heavy Metal with some lady all dommed up with that exact expression and a hat portrayed exactly that way.

Breetai (once again, assuming it's supposed to be Breetai) looks exactly like one of the characters in the Taarna section of the Heavy Metal movie.  I think he was borrowed from one of the thugs who attack Taarna in the bar.

Is that supposed to be Rick in the center?  I'm wildly guessing here, because I'm just assuming that since it's Robotech and it's a multiple character piece that one of the characters would be Rick?  Once again, I'm absolutely sure I've seen that exact face somewhere in a Heavy Metal magazine sometime during the 90s.

I can't even venture anything about the Zentraedi character to the left of Heavy Metal Breetai.  I have no idea who that's supposed to be.

The other day I saw a YouTube video about the notoriously inbred Habsburg family.  Roy looks like a few of the paintings of that family.

4 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

s that what that is?  I thought they drew a mouth like a へ and accidentally gave her a fish mouth.

I think that, in reality, the interior artist draws her with very very pronounced lips, and the cover artist just had no idea/ability how to replicate that, especially in profile.

5 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I'm mildly more put off by the way her breasts appear to be attached directly to her collarbone...

Maybe that's the surprise twist! Azonia is proof that this entire timeline spins out of Rob Liefield's Awesome Comics universe (or just his Captain America Heroes Reborn run).

10 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Is that what that is?  I thought they drew a mouth like a へ and accidentally gave her a fish mouth.

I was thinking the same thing.  I initially saw a frowny stern expression.  Now I see a mustache and I can't see it as a ^ anymore.

15 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

Maybe that's the surprise twist! Azonia is proof that this entire timeline spins out of Rob Liefield's Awesome Comics universe (or just his Captain America Heroes Reborn run).

Or it spins out of Robin Hood: Men in Tights and she's really one of the Merry Men in drag...

"Hey Blinkin!  Fix your boobs, you look like a bleeding Picasso."

I think we're all being way too negative and just need to take a step back for a moment.

After years and years of being excessively controlling and litigious over their Macross and Robotech licensing, I think that it's commendable that Harmony Gold is letting some middle school kids get their Robotech fan fiction artwork published. It's also nice of Simon Furman to let them work off of his own childhood unfinished and rejected comic book scripts.

Kudos to all!

I don't think I would ever spend money on these, but they seem almost worth it in that thay are so bad, that it actually makes them kind of good.  I, mean, I thought I had seen it all with the Minmei from the first episodes where she goes ballistic, but this is just, wow.  Seriously.

Compared to this, no one should ever complain about the Wildstorm/Udon comics from years back.

They at least tried to have the characters look like what they did in the series.

Edited by Mazinger

I've seen enough to know that at least the actual internal art is nothing like the covers.  The improvement in general artwork is actually a bit remarkable, in the sense that it's such a polar opposite to the covers, and how bad it was in the first couple of issues.

7 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Looking at the preview pages on the Titan site the internal art is much better, though I still had to take their word for it that Roy was Roy (well drawn, just didn't look like Roy).

Yeah, none of the characters actually look very much like the original art at all.  They're just drawn with the bare minimum of feature and outfit cues to tell at a glance who they're supposed to be.

14 hours ago, Mazinger said:

Compared to this, no one should ever complain about the Wildstorm/Udon comics from years back.

They at least tried to have the characters look like what they did in the series.

If they were more honest in their advertising, they'd be saying "The Worst is Yet to Come!" instead of the opposite...

On 11/20/2018 at 6:10 AM, Mazinger said:

I don't think I would ever spend money on these, but they seem almost worth it in that thay are so bad, that it actually makes them kind of good.  I, mean, I thought I had seen it all with the Minmei from the first episodes where she goes ballistic, but this is just, wow.  Seriously.

I actually liked Love and War. And Myria looked great on the chinese TPB cover.

You certainly cant compare that to the yech-Blagh "art" thats been posted on this page thusfar. (I even caught a glimpse of the Zentraedi using a low tech angular console that looked like they had stolen it from Chernobyl. What a visual insult after Studio Nue's Zentradi console designs.)

Edited by Podtastic
Brainpo

8 hours ago, Podtastic said:

You certainly cant compare that to the yech-Blagh "art" thats been posted on this page thusfar. (I even caught a glimpse of the Zentraedi using a low tech angular console that looked like they had stolen it from Chernobyl. What a visual insult after Studio Nue's Zentradi console designs.)

I liked "Invasion" from the Wildstorm run. Wasn't perfect, felt rushed at the end, had a couple ridiculous scenes, but overall was about the quality level of the old "Invid War", which is about as good as it gets for my tastes when it comes to Robotech comics (bring on the faint praise comments, they're deserved).

10 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Sure we can.  Both the DC/Wildstorm Robotech comics and Titan Robotech comics were half-assed projects with terrible writing, mediocre art, and indifferent overall quality.

They both had spotty, inconsistent art and are both particularly bad when it comes to faces not looking the same page-to-page and bizarre facial expressions.  I suspect we're just more comfortable with DC/Wildostorm's rendition because their Street Fighter comics-inspired anime-esque art style is closer in appearance to the familiar character designs by Mikimoto, so we give them more of a pass for the same sins (at least until Prelude).  I'm given to understand photorealistic character art is a tough sell in comics in general, given that it tends to lend a certain uncanny valley feel to proceedings... which is probably why we're harsher on Titan.

1 hour ago, RavenHawk said:

I liked "Invasion" from the Wildstorm run. Wasn't perfect, felt rushed at the end, had a couple ridiculous scenes, but overall was about the quality level of the old "Invid War", which is about as good as it gets for my tastes when it comes to Robotech comics (bring on the faint praise comments, they're deserved).

... maybe my memory's playing me false, but wasn't Invid War one of the most-hated of Robotech's old comics because of its terrible art quality?

The bits of it that stick out in my memory were mostly Invid War: Aftermath, where the art had decayed to the point that the series characters were frequently unrecognizable.

2 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

I also picked up Invasion,  for the Invid naturally. I dont recall a similar Masters miniseries though, pity.

Edited by Podtastic

11 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

... maybe my memory's playing me false, but wasn't Invid War one of the most-hated of Robotech's old comics because of its terrible art quality?

The bits of it that stick out in my memory were mostly Invid War: Aftermath, where the art had decayed to the point that the series characters were frequently unrecognizable.

In my opinion, Invid War is a high point among the old Robotech comics. Plenty of flaws, but better than a lot of what came before, and significantly better than what came after. The art was solid for its time, up until the last few issues when a different inker took over. From my understanding of general fan opinion, most seem to agree with this (though I think there are plenty who preferred the main Sentinels series).

Invid War: Aftermath is completely unrelated. 100% different team working on it, plot that had no relation except for a small handful of character names, and wholly unrelated to the Invid War series the ended immediately before it except for a title that was trying to benefit from the good will associated with its predecessor.

For a book set in the Robotech universe (take that for what you will), the original Invid War (and spin-off one-shot Firewalkers) was a solid read.

Here are some examples:

(Uh... spoiler alert?)

Invid War 01 (original inker):

InvidWar01.jpg.6f1f59c003336125b77a241d9828519c.jpg

InvidWar01b.jpg.d9bac498dde5aa0154ee91df2d5c8921.jpg

Invid War 13 (new inker came onboard):

InvidWar13.jpg.a6d37b991dd1daf6eff46cd4a49bc362.jpg

Invid War Aftermath (#5, but it's a pretty decent example):

InvidWarAftermath05.jpg.dad7d3752b3dd43f0d6fec348008d9d0.jpg

2 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

For a book set in the Robotech universe (take that for what you will), the original Invid War (and spin-off one-shot Firewalkers) was a solid read.

Here's another vote for Robotech: Firewalkers. While 95% of Robotech comic books are rubbish, this is one of the few good ones. It told a short, solid story accompanied by good artwork for its time. Unlike most other Robotech comic books, that shamelessly (and poorly) ripped off the Japanese line art, the mecha illustrations here are both good and original.

latest?cb=20140915123332

16 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Back when I first started dating my wife (who also watched RT as a kid), she took a trip to Mexico and came back with issue 1 of the Mexican release of Love and War:

2d8nekp.jpg

It was one of many signs that she was the one for me. It now decorates the Detolf behind one of my Chunky Monkeys.

Just now, anime52k8 said:

I'm disappointed that you guys completely skipped over this absolute masterpiece of a cover. This Belongs in a modern art museum:

Surely you meant to say "torture museum".

1 hour ago, JB0 said:

Same diff.

actually it's quite different. Like comparing 40 grit and 90 grit sandpaper to determine which on will do wonders to your anus more... but, for the record BOTH grits will wreck your anus...

2 hours ago, TehPW said:

actually it's quite different. Like comparing 40 grit and 90 grit sandpaper to determine which on will do wonders to your anus more... but, for the record BOTH grits will wreck your anus...

I stand corrected, and am left with new questions.

On 11/17/2018 at 4:38 PM, tekering said:

Actually, the art has very much improved... except on the cover.  <_<

RCO001.jpg

WTF is this?!! This is even worse that the academy comics days. Is HG asleep at the wheel again. I thought it’s stuff like this that made them disavow the old comics?

Someone from a planet known for their space helicopters got a gritty reboot.  It would probably make a bigger impact if she had even a miniscule resemblance to her original design instead of just casually getting her name dropped so readers know who she is supposed to be.

6 hours ago, Sandman said:

WTF is this?!! This is even worse that the academy comics days. Is HG asleep at the wheel again. I thought it’s stuff like this that made them disavow the old comics?

"Reimagined for the new generation."

Translation:" We have no respect, we just want to take money from noobs."

Edited by Podtastic

14 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Ok, seriously wtf is that.  That's like.. I thought that was a Far Side cartoon setup.  People paid actual money for that?

Not many of them, and not or long.

It depends really. For me I liked the Wildstorm/DC runs of Robotech comics of the past decade and that include Prelude. The only other Robotech comic I cared about is Antartic Press's Robotech Rolling Thunder by Fred Perry because it covered Southern Cross arc post 2nd Robotech War.

Others is just meh.

robotech-04.JPG

Edited by Protoculture

10 minutes ago, Protoculture said:

It depends really. For me I liked the Wildstorm/DC runs of Robotech comics of the past decade and that include Prelude. The only other Robotech comic I cared about is Antartic Press's Robotech Rolling Thunder by Fred Perry because it covered Southern Cross arc post 2nd Robotech War.

Others is just meh.

robotech-04.JPG

I guess we all have our favorites, and for the most part feel that the rest is "meh". For you, you like Southern Cross, so liked Rolling Thunder. For me, I like MOSPEADA and New Gen, so liked Invid War.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2018 at 3:36 AM, JB0 said:

I would swear Lang died in End of the Circle by "becoming one with the protoculture" to save everybody. 

This may very well be true.  If I remember correctly, Dr. Lang's evil doppelganger was named Lazlo Zand and he consumed the flower of life as an addiction throughout the series.  In the end he actually takes root and becomes a giant Flower of Life.  This occurs in McKinney Novel #9 The Final Nightmare which is the end of The Southern Cross story arc.