Robotech and REMIX by Titan Comics

Old_Nash

7 hours ago, Einherjar said:

Nope. The attention they’re getting and the trivial things that set them off these days is just sad.

All I'm sayin' is that I don't understand how the upcoming Boba Fett movie can make sense without ejecting the Holiday Special from canon!

22 minutes ago, JB0 said:

All I'm sayin' is that I don't understand how the upcoming Boba Fett movie can make sense without ejecting the Holiday Special from canon!

And wo-men Jedi!?!?!?!?  Might was well give them Veritechs too.  Or hell, make them admirals!!!

2 hours ago, Dynaman said:

I had my fill of the culture wars for awhile, can we get back to pointing out the travesty of this particular comic on this thread?

One travesty is as good as another... though Robotech's fans were doing the militant butthurt fanboy thing before it was cool.  

So many memories... so many flame wars over TV vs novels vs comics, Macek vs Yune, official canon vs speculation...

2 hours ago, Dynaman said:

I had my fill of the culture wars for awhile, can we get back to pointing out the travesty of this particular comic on this thread?

Global died and Lisa is the captain of the ship, yet she somehow still ends up in the got captured arc.  What's up with that?

15 minutes ago, Einherjar said:

Global died and Lisa is the captain of the ship, yet she somehow still ends up in the got captured arc.  What's up with that?

Captains in Star Trek go charging headlong into danger to get captured all the time?

10 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

One travesty is as good as another... though Robotech's fans were doing the militant butthurt fanboy thing before it was cool.  

Are you saying Robotech fans are trendsetters, and Star Wars is just ripping off Robotech?

6 hours ago, JB0 said:

Are you saying Robotech fans are trendsetters, and Star Wars is just ripping off Robotech?

Nah.  In order to set a trend, people have to actually acknowledge the existence of the party doing the trend-setting.  One of the constants in the Robotech franchise's history is that nobody really takes any notice of its existence unless its owners are actively f*cking over another, much more popular franchise at the time and is often swiftly forgotten thereafter.

On 6/29/2018 at 7:47 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

Captains in Star Trek go charging headlong into danger to get captured all the time?

They rarely had someone like T. R. Edwards to worry about in the event of a power vacuum.

Crap, that's really why they killed off Global; to reintroduce the biggest tool in the universe to the masses.

Edited by Einherjar
comic book storyline logic

4 hours ago, Einherjar said:

They rarely had someone like T. R. Edwards to worry about in the event of a power vacuum.

Assuming they're even aware of his incredibly blatant evilness.

You may or may not remember (personally, I try to forget) that the "Macross Saga" holdover characters in Robotech II: the Sentinels failed to notice any of the blatant signs of his sinister intent and Saturday morning cartoon villain behavior and evil dialog for over 21 years until he finally launched a coup d'etat against them.

Two decades of cackling about how he's going to get those Hunters and their little dog too, and they were still surprised when he tried to kill them.

4 hours ago, Einherjar said:

Crap, that's really why they killed off Global; to reintroduce the biggest tool in the universe to the masses.

The hammiest villain in Robotech, and that's saying something considering how crap the franchise's writing typically is and its "creator" being a fan of L. Ron Hubbard.

1 minute ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Two decades of cackling about how he's going to get those Hunters and their little dog too, and they were still surprised when he tried to kill them.

That should be "I'll get you and your little Minmei too!"  Though he never got the Hunters he did get himself some Minmei.

This comic is so bad, and the altered command structure illustrates why, they are following the Star Trek TOS command model.

See, in good military fiction, the higher up in rank one gets, the harder it is for them to engage directly in military action, they have subordinates for that, it is called The Immobility of Rank/Power.  Captains don't go on away missions, Admirals/Generals don't leave their flagships/bases/bunkers (except in rare cases).  That is why, in good mil fiction, it is always such a big deal when a commander goes out on a mission.  Even good mil sci-fi sometimes makes this mistake, but they find some way to justify this.  That is one of the reasons why I always preferred TNG (early) as Picard rarely left the ship, Riker led away missions, but really, even he was too high in rank for that.

This new, "edgier" "more woke" Robotech had Gloval do the stupidest thing ever, leave the bridge in the middle of a battle, just so they could kill him off.
They then promoted Misa to Captain (despite there being many officers of higher rank then her already aboard) and still pull the TOS action of having her lead an away mission to get captured.

I am going to bet, that they will have old TRE end up as the new captain at some point as a way to stop the "time loop" that they have written into the story, dumbest plot change ever. 

In almost all Macross the command staff rarely left the bridge during operations.  When Misa requests to accompany the Cateyes mission, you can see the Captain and the rest protest, but her insistence wins the day.  In DYRL the excuse for her to leave the ship is not as solid, but is believable, she is trying to stop a scandal, so is sent to retrieve Hikaru and Minmei.  Millard in Mac+ is one of the best examples of an immobile commander, staying behind to cover the actions of his men, who ultimately save the day.  In Mac7 Millia flying again is due to extreme circumstances, as is Max's getting back in the cockpit, though in his case, it's that he was to be the ace in the hole to beat the Varutta.  Mac-F and Delta dealt with the immobility of command quite well too, the ship captains stayed at their posts and sent out their pilots to do the dirty work.

Edited by Knight26

9 minutes ago, Knight26 said:

This comic is so bad, and the altered command structure illustrates why, they are following the Star Trek TOS command model.

They even brought a redshirt (or greenshirt, fittingly for Macross) with them in true Star Trek TOS fashion.

You could always tell when Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and Ensign Ricky beamed down to a planet, Ensign Ricky's wife was about to collect on a Starfleet widow's pension.

That is one of the reasons why I always preferred TNG (early) as Picard rarely left the ship, Riker led away missions, but really, even he was too high in rank for that.

To be fair to Star Trek, Starfleet is only ever depicted or described as an actual military agency in its bleak, conflict-heavy alternate quantum realities like the Mirror Universe, the Kelvin timeline, or that short-lived one in "Yesterday's Enterprise".  (Discounting fabrications like "Living Witness".)  They've always depicted Starfleet as an exploratory, scientific, diplomatic, and humanitarian aid agency first and foremost.  They moonlight as soldiers in wartime but they're more like a space coast guard than a space navy.

This new, "edgier" "more woke" Robotech had Gloval do the stupidest thing ever, leave the bridge in the middle of a battle, just so they could kill him off.
They then promoted Misa to Captain (despite there being many officers of higher rank then her already aboard) and still pull the TOS action of having her lead an away mission to get captured.

They can't deviate from the TV series story too much... Robotech fans are known for being highly averse to change.

In almost all Macross the command staff rarely left the bridge during operations.  When Misa requests to accompany the Cateyes mission, you can see the Captain and the rest protest, but her insistence wins the day. 

She could get away with it, since she was only a 1st Lieutenant and chief flight controller for alpha shift rather than, say, the CO, XO, CAG, or some other high administrative talking head.

Millard in Mac+ is one of the best examples of an immobile commander, staying behind to cover the actions of his men, who ultimately save the day.

To be fair, he does an awful lot of making things worse before he saves the day... like covering up for Guld's mental instability and his attempt to sabotage the Shinsei team by framing Isamu for an attempted murder.

16 hours ago, Knight26 said:

See, in good military fiction, the higher up in rank one gets, the harder it is for them to engage directly in military action, they have subordinates for that, it is called The Immobility of Rank/Power.  Captains don't go on away missions, Admirals/Generals don't leave their flagships/bases/bunkers (except in rare cases).  That is why, in good mil fiction, it is always such a big deal when a commander goes out on a mission.  Even good mil sci-fi sometimes makes this mistake, but they find some way to justify this.  That is one of the reasons why I always preferred TNG (early) as Picard rarely left the ship, Riker led away missions, but really, even he was too high in rank for that.

I am going to bet, that they will have old TRE end up as the new captain at some point as a way to stop the "time loop" that they have written into the story, dumbest plot change ever. 

In almost all Macross the command staff rarely left the bridge during operations.  When Misa requests to accompany the Cateyes mission, you can see the Captain and the rest protest, but her insistence wins the day.  In DYRL the excuse for her to leave the ship is not as solid, but is believable, she is trying to stop a scandal, so is sent to retrieve Hikaru and Minmei.  Millard in Mac+ is one of the best examples of an immobile commander, staying behind to cover the actions of his men, who ultimately save the day.  In Mac7 Millia flying again is due to extreme circumstances, as is Max's getting back in the cockpit, though in his case, it's that he was to be the ace in the hole to beat the Varutta.  Mac-F and Delta dealt with the immobility of command quite well too, the ship captains stayed at their posts and sent out their pilots to do the dirty work.

They utterly mutilated and/or disregarded the classic SDFM Zentraedi armour.

Further examples of this comic's utter putridness are, IMO, as necessary as bayonetting a pile of ashes to make certain its truly dead. 

Edited by Podtastic

On July 3, 2018 at 11:27 AM, Knight26 said:

What's really sad is that that kind of off the rails character development was already used in Robotech recently.  Roy went through this (I guess?) in the Voltron crossover comic when Claudia was killed off.  All I remember is, like Lisa here, he also ended up wearing a variation of Gloval's captain outfit and an eyepatch.  If I missed anything, I don't care because nothing ultimately mattered in that comic book, which might as well be the default ending for this one too in the foreseeable future.

• 2 weeks later...

Robotech #11

https://www.comiccrusaders.com/preview-robotech-11/

My desire is back to post the "pearls" of this edition...

OHMYGRATLUNA!!!!

WhT IS THAT THING I READ????

I mean Dolza in a regenesis tube... And Britai believeing in the SDF crew in the Arena...

Edited by Old_Nash

7 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

Is that really the cover?  When did Claudia get her original hairstyle back?  And Lisa looks like Lisa too.

Yep^^
Ben Dunn cover

(Ninja High School)

Max be pimpin’ yo. Seriously, what’s with the unbuttoned shirt? Is that how he dreams of himself? And 1 fight with Miriya and he dreams of her in a clubbing-dress? 

9 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Is that really the cover? 

What, this cover?

Robotech-11-cover-c.jpg?fit=2335,1228

Obviously, they couldn't be bothered to have someone check their Japanese text before they went to print.  <_<

20 minutes ago, tekering said:

What, this cover?

Robotech-11-cover-c.jpg?fit=2335,1228

Obviously, they couldn't be bothered to have someone check their Japanese text before they went to print.  <_<

Please tell me that it is filled with jokes and insults against HG/Robotech.

Having no experience with Titan's other work I can't really judge the quality fairly... but it certainly feels like they're phoning this series in.

On 7/18/2018 at 11:30 PM, azrael said:

1 fight with Miriya and he dreams of her in a clubbing-dress? 

Max knows what we want. But since he can't actually make the comic GOOD, he hopes we'll settle for some fanservice.

20 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Having no experience with Titan's other work I can't really judge the quality fairly... but it certainly feels like they're phoning this series in.

While the Robotech comic is really shitty, on the other end of the spectrum is Universal War One. Great sci-fi story, I bought the book since it was highly recommended. Of course as a Eurocomic it was first published elsewhere but it's evidence they can also publish excellent comics once in a while. That said I have no experience on the other stuff which seems to be mainly titles related to movie/TV/game franchises. And I doubt Titan does quality checks on the Robotech comics.

9 hours ago, JB0 said:

Max knows what we want. But since he can't actually make the comic GOOD, he hopes we'll settle for some fanservice.

Weirdly enough, when you think about it it's arguably more consistent with Macross Max's behavior than Robotech Max's.  The Robotech version of Max was kind of quiet and geeky, where Macross's Max was a bit of a playboy whose internal monologue was devoted to mentally undressing Milia as they duked it out in the arcade.

3 hours ago, hachi said:

While the Robotech comic is really shitty, on the other end of the spectrum is Universal War One. Great sci-fi story, I bought the book since it was highly recommended. Of course as a Eurocomic it was first published elsewhere but it's evidence they can also publish excellent comics once in a while. That said I have no experience on the other stuff which seems to be mainly titles related to movie/TV/game franchises. And I doubt Titan does quality checks on the Robotech comics.

Yeah, most of what I turned up when I searched on their catalog was licensed works for movies and TV shows, plus a few "Making of" coffee table books.  Quality seems to vary a fair bit if covers are a fair indication (and they usually aren't), but compared to what they're doing for the Robotech comic I'm getting a STRONG vibe that they're running in minimum obligations mode.

7 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Weirdly enough, when you think about it it's arguably more consistent with Macross Max's behavior than Robotech Max's.  The Robotech version of Max was kind of quiet and geeky, where Macross's Max was a bit of a playboy whose internal monologue was devoted to mentally undressing Milia as they duked it out in the arcade.

Actually, my first thought was their "courtship" in DYRL. One mecha duel, and then they're married.