Robotech and REMIX by Titan Comics

Old_Nash

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The official Robotech boards in particular are a terrible barometer of the fandom's actual opinion... they're not just a ghost town haunted by a few sycophants, they ended up that way because mods there only permit users to post gushing, effusive praise of Robotech products.  

True - but it is where "The most devoted" RT fans go and there are at least two who LOVE the comic...

14 hours ago, Dynaman said:

True - but it is where "The most devoted" RT fans go and there are at least two who LOVE the comic...

That's where the Harmony Gold sycophants go... so, again, not really the best barometer of how fans actually regard the comic because unfavorable opinions are literally VERBOTEN on HG's own official site.

10 hours ago, Einherjar said:

I got five words that will ruin all the grittiness aging comic book professionals can throw at this piece of work all because they ended up killing off the wrong person:

Minmay is going to sing.

2 hours ago, Kelsain said:

Through her teeth, most likely.

You forgot the best part!  She's going to sing, all right... and because it's Robotech, they'll have to use the her repertoire from Robotech's animated series.

She won't be taking the stage to something dignified like Do You Remember Love? or Love Drifts Away... this bullshit tryhard comic is going to go completely to pieces with her singing Stage Fright or My Time to be a Star.  It's going to be hilariously out of place in the story they've created... like having the xenomorphs in Aliens drop everything and spend five minutes doing the Macarena while Hicks and co. try to escape the colony.

She won't be taking the stage to something dignified like Do You Remember Love? or Love Drifts Away... this bullshit tryhard comic is going to go completely to pieces with her singing Stage Fright or My Time to be a Star.  It's going to be hilariously out of place in the story they've created... like having the xenomorphs in Aliens drop everything and spend five minutes doing the Macarena while Hicks and co. try to escape the colony.

Ugh, dammit. Now that's been dredged up from my memory banks. 

May you begin peeling an orange before you realize you have chapped hands!

Edited by Kelsain

3 minutes ago, Kelsain said:

Ugh, dammit. Now that's been dredged up from my memory banks. 

May you begin peeling an orange before you realize you have chapped hands!

At least since it's in comic book form this time, the audience won't be subjected to a noise uncannily close to a choir of cockatiels passing kidney stones the size of golf balls.

6 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

YES, I have a reason to link this!

On 1/30/2018 at 12:02 AM, Einherjar said:

I hope they weren't being mildly prejudice about the anime style of the original series.  Also, I hope some of those commenters are actually women who appreciate how 'realistic' and 'stylish' it is.

Back in the day there were people who legitimately liked the Wildstorm and Dynamite Comic Voltron crossover for their style over their story and believed that both would bring the franchise back to the mainstream.  I really don't take them seriously.

I don't think they're women. I can't imagine most women equating that 'grit' with 'stylish' :p

4 hours ago, hachi said:

I don't think they're women. I can't imagine most women equating that 'grit' with 'stylish' :p

Safe bet they're not... the Robotech franchise never had many women in its fanbase from the word "go", considering mecha wasn't exactly a genre with a strong female following to begin with and its middle installment's main character was a misogynist's caricature of strong women.  Probably didn't help any that Macek subsequently chickified the few surviving female characters in Sentinels1, and a host of authors from the comics and novels took that as Macek starting as he meant to go on.2

One of the few nice things I can actually say about this comic is that it isn't nearly as abusive of its female cast as most other Robotech works are.  The female cast in Titan's Robotech are only badly drawn and awkwardly scripted.

1. Like Misa/Lisa being Demoted to Extra after her wedding to Rick and eventually ending up on the receiving end of a "get back in the kitchen" courtesy of Macek and Yune to address a plot hole in the animated series by letting Rick take over the Expeditionary Forces.  Milia/Miriya caught a nasty case of Chuck Cunningham syndrome and straight up vanished from the story most of the time.  Every other female character was there simply to be someone's love interest or wife.

2. I have neither forgiven nor forgotten the Waltrips for taking the already butchered Robotech version of Minmay and apparently deciding she wasn't unlikeable enough already, gave her a massive boob job, and turned her into an obsessed stalker and then a homewrecking village bicycle.

On ‎2018‎/‎01‎/‎31 at 5:49 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Safe bet they're not... the Robotech franchise never had many women in its fanbase from the word "go", considering mecha wasn't exactly a genre with a strong female following to begin with and its middle installment's main character was a misogynist's caricature of strong women.  Probably didn't help any that Macek subsequently chickified the few surviving female characters in Sentinels1, and a host of authors from the comics and novels took that as Macek starting as he meant to go on.2

One of the few nice things I can actually say about this comic is that it isn't nearly as abusive of its female cast as most other Robotech works are.  The female cast in Titan's Robotech are only badly drawn and awkwardly scripted.

1. Like Misa/Lisa being Demoted to Extra after her wedding to Rick and eventually ending up on the receiving end of a "get back in the kitchen" courtesy of Macek and Yune to address a plot hole in the animated series by letting Rick take over the Expeditionary Forces.  Milia/Miriya caught a nasty case of Chuck Cunningham syndrome and straight up vanished from the story most of the time.  Every other female character was there simply to be someone's love interest or wife.

2. I have neither forgiven nor forgotten the Waltrips for taking the already butchered Robotech version of Minmay and apparently deciding she wasn't unlikeable enough already, gave her a massive boob job, and turned her into an obsessed stalker and then a homewrecking village bicycle.

Miriya vanished...what a waste.:(

22 minutes ago, Podtastic said:

Miriya vanished...what a waste.:(

Given how consistently terrible the writing in Robotech is... coming down with Chuck Cunningham Syndrome and vanishing into the aether is probably the best possible fate that any holdover character from the original three shows could hope for.  Having the writers just kind of forget they exist is a lot more dignified than, say, being killed offscreen and having it never even get mentioned1, stalking their ex and having affairs with married people2, being tortured into an invalid offscreen3, quitting the military because they had a miscarriage4, devolving into a kaiju that spouts one-liners5, getting killed by friendly fire and instantly forgotten6, or reduced to a "wow they suck" cameo7.

'course in the case of Max and Milia/Miriya in Robotech, there's like a 50/50 chance they're straight-up f*cking DEAD and the writers just never explicitly mentioned it, given that the two of them were on the SDF-3 when it got shot in half and were never likely to reappear anyway since they're Macross's most prolific characters and HG is terrified of lawsuits.

Spoiler

1. Happens to Exedore and Dr. Lang (the unnamed chief engineer of the SDF-1 in Macross), when the science ship they're on is caught in the periphery of a neutron star matter warhead detonation.  Even though the ship that they were on is later boarded and searched by people who worked closely with them, the fact that at some point someone had to step over their corpses is never mentioned despite the ship explicitly having no survivors.
2. Minmei, who nearly died in the act of stowing away on the SDF-3 to stalk her now-married ex-boyfriend, tried to ruin his marriage, then ruined someone else's marriage before having a fling with the villain (see #3.).
3. Minmei again!  After dating the aforementioned villain, he's so obsessed with her that he takes her hostage, holds her prisoner and tortures her for over a year, and when she's rescued she's in such a horrid state that hardened troops nearly barf from the sight.
4. Lisa, who quits the military after having a miscarriage as a result of injuries from having her ship shot in half.
5. Edwards, the aforementioned villain in 2. and 3.
6. Breetai, who dies and is instantly forgotten when the ship his troops boarded is blown up by his own side.
7. Dana, who is so traumatized by events from over a decade previous that she doesn't speak and only appears so her replacement can talk crap about her.  Also possibly Jack Baker, whose only appearance is getting shot down.

6 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Given how consistently terrible the writing in Robotech is... coming down with Chuck Cunningham Syndrome and vanishing into the aether is probably the best possible fate that any holdover character from the original three shows could hope for.  Having the writers just kind of forget they exist is a lot more dignified than, say, being killed offscreen and having it never even get mentioned1, stalking their ex and having affairs with married people2, being tortured into an invalid offscreen3, quitting the military because they had a miscarriage4, devolving into a kaiju that spouts one-liners5, getting killed by friendly fire and instantly forgotten6, or reduced to a "wow they suck" cameo7.

'course in the case of Max and Milia/Miriya in Robotech, there's like a 50/50 chance they're straight-up f*cking DEAD and the writers just never explicitly mentioned it, given that the two of them were on the SDF-3 when it got shot in half and were never likely to reappear anyway since they're Macross's most prolific characters and HG is terrified of lawsuits.

Hide contents

1. Happens to Exedore and Dr. Lang (the unnamed chief engineer of the SDF-1 in Macross), when the science ship they're on is caught in the periphery of a neutron star matter warhead detonation.  Even though the ship that they were on is later boarded and searched by people who worked closely with them, the fact that at some point someone had to step over their corpses is never mentioned despite the ship explicitly having no survivors.
2. Minmei, who nearly died in the act of stowing away on the SDF-3 to stalk her now-married ex-boyfriend, tried to ruin his marriage, then ruined someone else's marriage before having a fling with the villain (see #3.).
3. Minmei again!  After dating the aforementioned villain, he's so obsessed with her that he takes her hostage, holds her prisoner and tortures her for over a year, and when she's rescued she's in such a horrid state that hardened troops nearly barf from the sight.
4. Lisa, who quits the military after having a miscarriage as a result of injuries from having her ship shot in half.
5. Edwards, the aforementioned villain in 2. and 3.
6. Breetai, who dies and is instantly forgotten when the ship his troops boarded is blown up by his own side.
7. Dana, who is so traumatized by events from over a decade previous that she doesn't speak and only appears so her replacement can talk crap about her.  Also possibly Jack Baker, whose only appearance is getting shot down.

1 & 6 have me dumbfounded given how pivotal Breetai and Exedore were in humanity surviving the "Rain of Death." (And what interesting characters they are.)

The SDF 1 would surely not have made it to Dolza's fortress without the support of Breetai/Britai and Azonia/Laplamiz fleets. 

I'm just thinking back and trying to remember the Sentinels novels. I haven't seen them in years, and it is probably for the best, but... I would swear Lang died in End of the Circle by "becoming one with the protoculture" to save everybody. (And having to remember End of the Circle is a punishment in itself)

4 hours ago, Podtastic said:

1 & 6 have me dumbfounded given how pivotal Breetai and Exedore were in humanity surviving the "Rain of Death." (And what interesting characters they are.)

The SDF 1 would surely not have made it to Dolza's fortress without the support of Breetai/Britai and Azonia/Laplamiz fleets. 

Well, when your cup runneth over with popular legacy characters who are all owned by a potentially litigious, far more successful rival business you don't have a lot of options.  You either have to make them all totally unrecognizable so they can be used freely, keep them confined to works where they can be used safely, or get rid of them.

They redesigned the few they couldn't live without ("Rick" and "Lisa"), and everyone else got either killed or put on a bus for legal reasons and to make way for the new cast who fell hilariously flat.

4 hours ago, JB0 said:

I'm just thinking back and trying to remember the Sentinels novels. I haven't seen them in years, and it is probably for the best, but... I would swear Lang died in End of the Circle by "becoming one with the protoculture" to save everybody. (And having to remember End of the Circle is a punishment in itself)

Yes, please... don't make us witness self-harm like that.

14 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Another problem Brian Wood and co. will have to solve for this comic based on their shallow characterization as a whole so far.

3 minutes ago, Einherjar said:

Another problem Brian Wood and co. will have to solve for this comic based on their shallow characterization as a whole so far.

They may be able to take a miss on large parts of it, since they've already strongly hinted that the whole thing is a stable time loop that omits all of the later Robotech material derived from the original Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber MOSPEADA.

My money's on the destruction of [Boddole Zer/Dolza]'s flagship catapulting the ship back in time to crash on Earth in 1999.  No Two Years After arc or anything like that.

11 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

They redesigned the few they couldn't live without ("Rick" and "Lisa"), and everyone else got either killed or put on a bus for legal reasons and to make way for the new cast who fell hilariously flat.

They redesigned Breetai AND killed him off!

19 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

They may be able to take a miss on large parts of it, since they've already strongly hinted that the whole thing is a stable time loop that omits all of the later Robotech material derived from the original Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber MOSPEADA.

My money's on the destruction of [Boddole Zer/Dolza]'s flagship catapulting the ship back in time to crash on Earth in 1999.  No Two Years After arc or anything like that.

So, if they actually did do that..  See, I admit that I enjoy temporal shenanigans a bit too much in general, but I'm actually curious if they would use something like that to gradually twist the plot into something completely different over repeated loops.

If the SDF-1 jumped directly from the end of the fight with Dolza back to 1999 and crashed, that could short circuit the entire plot when they discover the ship is full of human remains, along with scattered debris from the city on Macross Island... which hadn't been built yet.  Or even better, if any of the crew, or even just recorded data from the ship survives, they'd probably be able to entirely prevent the destruction across the planet.

On the other hand, not sending the ship back into the ancient past also means the original SDF-1 will still crash in 1999, and now you'll have two SDFs running around.  Or maybe that was the goal all along, to explain where the second one came from? :lol: 

Just now, Chronocidal said:

So, if they actually did do that..  See, I admit that I enjoy temporal shenanigans a bit too much in general, but I'm actually curious if they would use something like that to gradually twist the plot into something completely different over repeated loops.

It's a very safe bet that this comic will not feature repeats of the stable time loop... for the simple, straightforward reason that this is a limited-run comic.  The time loop thing is probably just a way for them to avoid having to discuss the Robotech Masters, Invid, etc. since they know that there's little to no money to be had in a comic adaptation of the latter sagas.

If the SDF-1 jumped directly from the end of the fight with Dolza back to 1999 and crashed, that could short circuit the entire plot when they discover the ship is full of human remains, along with scattered debris from the city on Macross Island... which hadn't been built yet.  Or even better, if any of the crew, or even just recorded data from the ship survives, they'd probably be able to entirely prevent the destruction across the planet.

Go back a couple pages to the teaser images that showed Roy and Adm. Hayes in his Halo knockoff body armor exploring the wrecked alien starship.  They discovered that it was a ship from Earth full of dead humans literally almost right away.  One of the first things they found was a computer that was still in working order, and which spoke to them in English.  They also found the corpses of the entire bridge crew, complete with dog tags.  (The comic implies, with all the subtlety of a half-brick to the skull, that the thing that prompted Hayes to swear Roy to secrecy was the discovery that the corpse he examined was his own daughter.)

On the other hand, not sending the ship back into the ancient past also means the original SDF-1 will still crash in 1999, and now you'll have two SDFs running around.  Or maybe that was the goal all along, to explain where the second one came from? :lol: 

Maybe they'll break the stable time loop, but either way the series is reportedly not going on past the "Macross Saga".

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Go back a couple pages to the teaser images that showed Roy and Adm. Hayes in his Halo knockoff body armor exploring the wrecked alien starship.  They discovered that it was a ship from Earth full of dead humans literally almost right away.  One of the first things they found was a computer that was still in working order, and which spoke to them in English.  They also found the corpses of the entire bridge crew, complete with dog tags.  (The comic implies, with all the subtlety of a half-brick to the skull, that the thing that prompted Hayes to swear Roy to secrecy was the discovery that the corpse he examined was his own daughter.)

I do remember those, I guess I didn't catch the context or timeframe of the scene, since I remember thinking it had to be a dream sequence, or some other ship, not the newly-crashed SDF-1.

Edit: Images are gone from where they were linked, but I found them again in a review of issue #4.  I see what you mean.  The bad part is, despite the terrible art, and general disdain for the franchise, I'm actually really curious to see what wibbley-wobbley timey-wimey shenanigans they have in mind for the original storyline.  If this is morphing into some sort of alternate continuity like happened with the Star Trek movies, I have to wonder if they might actually try writing an original plot.

Edited by Chronocidal

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I do remember those, I guess I didn't catch the context or timeframe of the scene, since I remember thinking it had to be a dream sequence, or some other ship, not the newly-crashed SDF-1.

Eh... even when they depicted the actual crash, it looked identical to the post-retrofit SDF-1 Macross from Super Dimension Fortress Macross.  Kinda makes you wonder what they did to restore the ship in this version, besides possibly slap a new coat of paint on it and make it a little less corpse-y.

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Edit: Images are gone from where they were linked, but I found them again in a review of issue #4.  I see what you mean.  The bad part is, despite the terrible art, and general disdain for the franchise, I'm actually really curious to see what wibbley-wobbley timey-wimey shenanigans they have in mind for the original storyline.  If this is morphing into some sort of alternate continuity like happened with the Star Trek movies, I have to wonder if they might actually try writing an original plot.

One thing we can rely upon is that, as a Robotech property, whatever resolution the comic comes up with for its limited run is virtually guaranteed to be a cliched mess that'd send a real writer in search of the pepto-bismol.  

My guess would be that, as Harmony Gold has basically zero interest in what you'd call "continuity management", the Titan Comics Robotech comic will not be considered an official alternate timeline or anything like that.  It'll probably fall into the same category as all the other comics that aren't directly tied into the Robotech animated continuity... namely, the unenviable status of "well, that's a thing that exists... but it's not part of Robotech proper".  Titan's Robotech limited series is a pretty transparent "get something out to distract the fans from the lack of progress on Robotech's animated continuity" affair, now that it's become largely public knowledge that the Shadow Chronicles sequel is canceled and they had that disastrous Kickstarter flop with Robotech Academy and ended that with a ragequit.

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Titan's Robotech limited series is a pretty transparent "get something out to distract the fans from the lack of progress on Robotech's animated continuity" affair, now that it's become largely public knowledge that the Shadow Chronicles sequel is canceled and they had that disastrous Kickstarter flop with Robotech Academy and ended that with a ragequit.

What about the movie? That's coming out any day now!

14 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Not if it happened in the Sentinels comics because I've never read them.

As for the novels, well... I skipped over the human only parts.

... so you skipped basically everything?

Not a strategy I disapprove of, mind, since it avoided exposure to worst of the absolutely sh*t-awful material in Robotech.

The stuff I referenced was predominantly drawn from the Prelude comic, which spins off of the old Sentinels one.

11 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

... so you skipped basically everything?

Not a strategy I disapprove of, mind, since it avoided exposure to worst of the absolutely sh*t-awful material in Robotech.

The stuff I referenced was predominantly drawn from the Prelude comic, which spins off of the old Sentinels one.

I'm just not interested in the human factions.

8 hours ago, Podtastic said:

I'm just not interested in the human factions.

OK, so now I'm left wondering what you actually HAVE read or seen.

Even in Macross, the Zentradi were only really major players in Super Dimension Fortress Macross's story and the Macross: Do You Remember Love? adaptation of same.  Macross II: Lovers Again was the only animated feature to treat them as the recurring menace they canonically are in the ongoing continuity.  Zentradi stories are mostly confined to the no-export-for-you no-subtitles-for-you things like video games and the light novels.

Robotech made them even less relevant, since in that version they only had the one main fleet, not thousands, and it was entirely destroyed in Ep27 instead of losing only about 1/3 of its forces.  The New Generation indicated the Zentradi were functionally extinct c.2042, and via Prelude they might now be truly extinct c.2044, with Miriya being the last living example (if she wasn't killed offscreen during the attack on the SDF-3).  Their presence in the comics was minimal, almost a bit part, and the novels made it an actual bit part.

Thought I had responded earlier but looks like not.

1) Watched just about all Macross other than 7 (and what I have seen of 7 I hated). Watched all of RT. Read all RT comics except Sentinels, Prelude, Clone and Aftermath. Have not read any official Macross novels/comics for reasons you have already mentioned. Also read quite a bit of Fan Fics which focus on the aliens. Macross ones are limited mainly to Klan.

2) I'm not interested in the human characters, their relationships, or canon as you know it. I'm only interested in the aliens and their troops and hardware. I've identified them as something I can collect.:D

Edited by Podtastic

Robotech #07 

Oh Horror... Horror!

The only good thing...

Space Justin Bierber have space labial leper...

Space-Time Adventure!!!

Goodbye Miss Macross

Maxilmilian "Cobra" Sterling

It's Super Sweet 18 Minmai!

Space Battle overrated!!!

And after the battle a kiss (RLY???)

Britai version of 50 shades of Grey