Robotech and REMIX by Titan Comics

Old_Nash

19 hours ago, Valkyrie Driver said:

I keep trying to watch the Macross Saga, just to try and compare and contrast with SDFM, and I just can't seem to do it. It's almost like it causes me physical discomfort. I haven't felt as bad as that since the end of my rotation at JRTC after eating MRE's for 3 weeks. The feeling of being gassy, constipated, nauseous, all at once, with the feeling of fever, and cold sweats, the literal worst I've ever felt.  

In my opinion, US MREs taste a lot better than Canadian IMPs (individual meal packets).  Have you ever been issued ones with a warning label like this?

maxresdefault.jpg

I actually got one just like this on my last exercise, lol!

1 hour ago, peter said:

In my opinion, US MREs taste a lot better than Canadian IMPs (individual meal packets).  Have you ever been issued ones with a warning label like this?

maxresdefault.jpg

I actually got one just like this on my last exercise, lol!

Actually, sort of. When I was in BMT it came down that the vanilla dairy shakes in some of the lots might be tainted with salmonella. So we could not enjoy our powdered dairy shakes, which Ironically were the only thing that was actually edible in some of the MRE's. Also, don't misunderstand me, MRE's don't taste bad, it's just a literal PITA when they finally transit. Which was what caused the occurrence of the literal worst I ever felt, until I tried to watch Robotech...

21 hours ago, Dynaman said:

A friend of mine got a batch of them back in the eighties, the first production run I believe.  Gave me the runs like nothing ever since.

I think they only stay good for 5 years.

28 minutes ago, Roy Focker said:

We were told by our staff that they tasted ok up to 5 years past expiry, and actually edible for up to 8 yrs past expiry.

The chocolate bars are almost always white by the time we get them, lol!

Edited by peter

22 hours ago, Valkyrie Driver said:

Actually, sort of. When I was in BMT it came down that the vanilla dairy shakes in some of the lots might be tainted with salmonella. So we could not enjoy our powdered dairy shakes, which Ironically were the only thing that was actually edible in some of the MRE's. Also, don't misunderstand me, MRE's don't taste bad, it's just a literal PITA when they finally transit. Which was what caused the occurrence of the literal worst I ever felt, until I tried to watch Robotech...

I'd rather eat MREs for a month than watch Robotech again, lol! 

1 hour ago, Roy Focker said:

That's not strictly correct. MRE's are shelf stable, which means that they'll stay edible for a good long while. The stated shelf life is 5 years, which is when the military will rotate the unused cases out. They're actually good up to 10 years after their shelf life. 

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Not that you'd notice a change in edibility once they went bad... ;)

Yeah, you actually don't.

1 hour ago, peter said:

I'd rather eat MREs for a month than watch Robotech again, lol! 

I don't mind eating MRE's. Though, they're hard to get since I got out of the military. Mountain House is actually really good, and packs a lot easier. You do need a jetboil though because the Mountain House stuff is dehydrated. Packs a lot easier though. 

Eating MRE's for a month would be easy. Watching Robotech would be hard. I would also gladly bear the consequences of a month of eating MRE's than read these comics.

3 minutes ago, Gerli said:

I lost like an hour of my life watching a Youtube dude eating MRE's from around the world. I blame Harmony Gold.

Same here. Hahaha! I've watched atleast 4 clips of him. :lol: 

In the end, I find it educational. Now I'm considering to get an MRE supply for my son's emergency food at school for natural disasters. ;) 

5 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

In the end, I find it educational. Now I'm considering to get an MRE supply for my son's emergency food at school for natural disasters. ;) 

So... an unnatural disaster to ward off the consequences of a natural disaster?

13 minutes ago, Gerli said:

I lost like an hour of my life watching a Youtube dude eating MRE's from around the world. I blame Harmony Gold.

Substantially more entertainment value than reading Titan's Robotech comic or watching the show.

32 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Same here. Hahaha! I've watched atleast 4 clips of him. :lol: 

Same here^^

Watching brazilian youtubers eating MRE XD

7 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:
7 hours ago, Gerli said:

Substantially more entertainment value than reading Titan's Robotech comic or watching the show.

Agreed, all of this.

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

^^^ WTF??!! 

Looks like Titan Comics decided to rip off the Mars Base Salla sequence from Macross the First for their comic... 

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Looks like Titan Comics decided to rip off the Mars Base Salla sequence from Macross the First for their comic... 

are you referring to the ghost dude or the Britia reference to a previous Mars Base Sara engagement? I though MBS was depopulated during the AUN war?

4 hours ago, TehPW said:

are you referring to the ghost dude or the Britia reference to a previous Mars Base Sara engagement? I though MBS was depopulated during the AUN war?

The ghost dude, who is presumably the Robotech equivalent of Macross's Riber Fruhling.

Misa has several trippy hallucinations about Riber during her short visit to Salla Base in Macross the First.  You are correct that in the original Macross version, Mars Base Salla had been deliberately abandoned by the UN Forces and the fleet returning the base personnel to Earth was ambushed and destroyed by the Oberth-class space destroyer Tsiolkovsky on 8 September 2005, killing a total 3,055 people.  (Hunting down and destroying the hijacked destroyer was what made Global famous and probably got him a job commanding the SDF-1.)

The event badly-drawn Britai is referring to in the Robotech comic above is in a sidestory mini-comic that was included in the DC/Wildstorm Robotech: Invasion comic in the faint hope that having some Macross Saga stuff might prop up sales.  It told a version of Mars Base's abandonment that was very different from Macross's.  That comic, entitled Mars Base One, depicted an unrecorded-in-history conflict in which a single Zentradi medium-scale gunboat found the Sol system years before Britai's fleet.  The ship folded into Mars orbit and attacked Mars Base, and the base commanders ordered an evacuation which was brought rather abruptly to an end when the evacuation ship was destroyed and the Zentradi ship was destroyed in turn by a prototype Grand Cannon system, leaving Riber the sole survivor of the base and stranded on Mars indefinitely... at which point he wanders off into the Martian desert to die for no clear reason despite having working radio systems, a crapload of food and supplies, and life support that'd last years.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

23 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The ghost dude, who is presumably the Robotech equivalent of Macross's Riber Fruhling.

Misa has several trippy hallucinations about Riber during her short visit to Salla Base in Macross the First.  You are correct that in the original Macross version, Mars Base Salla had been deliberately abandoned by the UN Forces and the fleet returning the base personnel to Earth was ambushed and destroyed by the Oberth-class space destroyer Tsiolkovsky on 8 September 2005, killing a total 3,055 people.  (Hunting down and destroying the hijacked destroyer was what made Global famous and probably got him a job commanding the SDF-1.)

The event badly-drawn Britai is referring to in the Robotech comic above is in a sidestory mini-comic that was included in the DC/Wildstorm Robotech: Invasion comic in the faint hope that having some Macross Saga stuff might prop up sales.  It told a version of Mars Base's abandonment that was very different from Macross's.  That comic, entitled Mars Base One, depicted an unrecorded-in-history conflict in which a single Zentradi medium-scale gunboat found the Sol system years before Britai's fleet.  The ship folded into Mars orbit and attacked Mars Base, and the base commanders ordered an evacuation which was brought rather abruptly to an end when the evacuation ship was destroyed and the Zentradi ship was destroyed in turn by a prototype Grand Cannon system, leaving Riber the sole survivor of the base and stranded on Mars indefinitely... at which point he wanders off into the Martian desert to die for no clear reason despite having working radio systems, a crapload of food and supplies, and life support that'd last years.

OH. TU for the intel. The destroyer deal i vaguely recall (and that's a story I'd like to see animated), the deal with the comic: well I've stopped reading paper comics years ago, sadly...

16 hours ago, TehPW said:

OH. TU for the intel. The destroyer deal i vaguely recall (and that's a story I'd like to see animated), the deal with the comic: well I've stopped reading paper comics years ago, sadly...

Being a (mercifully) short limited comic, the Robotech: Invasion series and its Mars Base One mini-comic side story flew under the radar even for most Robotech fans.  The DC/Wildstorm comics did very little to promote themselves except for the Shadow Chronicles tie-in comic.

1 hour ago, Kelsain said:

I’ll admit, I feel a bit of morbid excitement when I see that there are new posts in this thread...

It is a bit like watching a train wreck, isn't it?

On 12/13/2017 at 10:35 AM, Old_Nash said:

Robotech #5

Or The Attack of Space Justin Bierber

Zentraedis don't have Dental Plan...

The Ghost of Starscream "Karl" Macek

Force Ghost?

On 12/15/2017 at 7:05 PM, JB0 said:

Protoculture Ghost. Legally distinct.

Yeah, that's more a Farce Ghost.

14 hours ago, Gerli said:

How a fuel source could become a.... never mind, I'll just get myself out.:search: 

... the most insane part is that, before Harmony Gold rebooted Robotech and disowned all the pre-2001 licensee-created material, that would actually have made sense in context.  ("Protoculture" is commonly joked about as being magic flowers, but the "magic" part used to be mostly literal.)

Carl Macek's own post-facto attempt to explain how "protoculture" worked basically amounted to a technology that produced power by extracting the life force from the seeds of the so-called "flower of life" while preventing them from sprouting and somehow converting it into mechanical energy... sort of a technological equivalent of "Cast from HP" using the magic flower's HP.  The novels took that even further, by having the immense life force of those flowers basically being equivalent to Star Wars's Force, with a will of its own and all.

26 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The novels took that even further, by having the immense life force of those flowers basically being equivalent to Star Wars's Force, with a will of its own and all.

Midiclorians all over again....