Robotech and REMIX by Titan Comics

Old_Nash

9 minutes ago, Gerli said:

Minmay shooting a Zentradi is hilarious. They should rise the reverse-bar even higher and make Kaifun the Pope on the next comic. :lol:

Kinda reminds me of Prometheus... in that the only expression the giant alien's face is capable of is the fabled DULL SURPRISE!

1 hour ago, Gerli said:

Minmay shooting a Zentradi is hilarious. They should rise the reverse-bar even higher and make Kaifun the Pope on the next comic. :lol:

21949879_358728364563295_453003129896497

I don't put this image because have a huge spoiler about Zentradi new power: Regeneration XD

RCO008.jpg

3 hours ago, Gerli said:

21949879_358728364563295_453003129896497

Wonderful, they've managed to replace the most iconic armour (Zentraedi) scince stormtrooper armour (SW) with SHITE. There is just no point in this thing.:(

11 hours ago, Gerli said:

Fairchild-Republic owns it I think...

Hmm I don't think they are around anymore, I wonder who does own the rights to the A-10 (other than the USAF). I hope it isn't HG though the idea of an A-10 with a UN Spacy kite is pretty cool.

2 hours ago, tekering said:

Neither.  It's obviously meant to be Courtney Love.

Just imagine her in an ugly jet-black wig.

Wow I think you're right, that's terrifying.

6 hours ago, electric indigo said:

So they have to re-design the Valks for legal reasons but the Battroid looks like a Battroid (minus the I-can't-really-draw factor)?

While I'd like to start with "that's the stupid part" there's so much stupid it gets lost in the shuffle... but they didn't need to redesign the Valkyries for this.  It's a frigging comic book, and thus legally merchandise, so there was nothing stopping them from using the original VF-1 design.

The proportions are all wrong, though, it looks like an old Matchbox toy instead of the battroid from the series.

2 hours ago, tekering said:

courtney-love-8.jpg

Ave Deus Mechanicus... for a minute there I thought you'd posted a picture of William Dafoe in drag!

3 hours ago, tekering said:

Probably black haired Madonna? ;)

1998_madonna-400_0.jpg.3fb56c0d355b688724aab8d33badc5a0.jpg

3 hours ago, tekering said:

courtney-love-8.jpg

Sorry, it's just Friday. My imagination is not working so I recolored one. ^_^

courtney-love-8_bw.jpg.2e915d0ac1a9c0d4ca8c371e1e9984ca.jpg

3 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I actually don't recall that one. I'll have to look it up and see if sparks some memories.

Oh yeah, I remember this one now. I actually never did read Covert ops because I was super irritated that they were pretentious enough to use the DYRL designs. This is when full-blown fan wankery entered a "professional" publication thus confirming it's placed as bad fan-fiction. Was this even legal for them to do?

2 hours ago, Sandman said:

Oh yeah, I remember this one now. I actually never did read Covert ops because I was super irritated that they were pretentious enough to use the DYRL designs. This is when full-blown fan wankery entered a "professional" publication thus confirming it's placed as bad fan-fiction. Was this even legal for them to do?

Back in the day?  Absolutely not... if Big West and co. had noticed (i.e. had the comics actually sold worth a damn) then it would've come down to a copyright infringement lawsuit.  Part of the reason they were able to get away with ripping off so many other titles (including several Macross ones, Independence DayGhost in the Shell, and others) was that they sold poorly enough that they were too obscure to draw the attention of the IP owners who could've/should've sued.

Less a problem now, since Harmony Gold obtained the merchandising rights to DYRL? from Tatsunoko in the early 2000s to keep Japanese VF-1 toys from summarily torching the prospects of the Toynami "Masterpiece" collection.

8 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The proportions are all wrong, though, it looks like an old Matchbox toy instead of the battroid from the series.

The Matchbox toy was fighter-only. And had a huge cockpit bulge. ("that's what she said" joke goes here)

They also had the "joke machines" under license. My first VF was a Max Sterling 1S JM.

3 hours ago, JB0 said:

The Matchbox toy was fighter-only. And had a huge cockpit bulge. ("that's what she said" joke goes here)

They also had the "joke machines" under license. My first VF was a Max Sterling 1S JM.

The interesting thing about that matchbox toy is it was originally meant to transform. There's an old promo demonstration video from the 80s where a rep from matchbox tries to transform it and nearly breaks it. In the end child safety, bad engineering, and the cost of producing the toy did away with the transforming gimmick. You can still see where the toy had joints and parts for transforming on it and given a little mod work you could pull off the gimmick.

37 minutes ago, renegadeleader1 said:

The interesting thing about that matchbox toy is it was originally meant to transform. There's an old promo demonstration video from the 80s where a rep from matchbox tries to transform it and nearly breaks it. In the end child safety, bad engineering, and the cost of producing the toy did away with the transforming gimmick. You can still see where the toy had joints and parts for transforming on it and given a little mod work you could pull off the gimmick.

Ahhhh, so that is what happened.

I had it as a kid, and to my youthful eyes it was BLATANTLY obvious that the design was intended to transform, so I was always curious as to what happened.

I think I've actually seen one modded to transform before. If I still had mine, I'd give it a crack.

1 hour ago, Old_Nash said:

MY EYES!!!

9175521-robotech-4.jpg?1500825444

2827553-robotech-5.jpg?1506269783

What is with all the over bites?

And is that 2nd cover legit or a fan made one?   I've seen that photo before.  Did they work a deal with photographer/Computer artist or just found it online and borrowed it?

1 hour ago, Roy Focker said:

And is that 2nd cover legit or a fan made one?   I've seen that photo before.  Did they work a deal with photographer/Computer artist or just found it online and borrowed it?

Since the artwork from the last box set they've been using work originally posted on DeviantArt.  A lot of the "new" stuff in latest artbook they are trying to sell is probably going to be from similar sources.

On the Bridge by jaytablante

Maybe the staff knows the quality of their work is crap.

Looks like they're gonna kill Roy in issue 5 but building the suspense that it could be him or some other main characters.  Like they really have the guts to kill off Minmay.

Edited by Einherjar
35+ year non-spoiler

1 hour ago, Einherjar said:

Looks like they're gonna kill Roy in issue 5 but building the suspense that it could be him or some other main characters.  Like they really have the guts to kill off Minmay.

Naw, Roy's too cool to die. Betcha it's that Ben Dixon fellow.

I talked to Jay about it, and surprisingly they paid for it. And he said he was donating it to charity. Hehehe...

Sigh, And he even had his photobook Geekology signed by Kawamori-sensei himself.

I guess it is to be expected. I'm from the Philippines, and they forced the R series here as well. I did get a chance to watch a weird Macross version where Misa was Misa, Hikaru was Rick and Minmei was named... Maria (Hahaha!) way back 1983 or 1984. Good thing the first thing I did when I was assigned to Japan was rewatching the whole 36 episodes. And I chose Macross over Voltes V, which is very very popular where I am from

Untitled.jpg

What has me scratching my head, is why use a fan design for the VF-1 (Another deviantartist whose model was purchased by the comic artist for commercial usage) but still use all the other original designs?