Robotech and REMIX by Titan Comics

Old_Nash

On ‎2017‎/‎08‎/‎18 at 5:08 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

The only part of it I really enjoyed was that the Sentinels arc was so badly written in every one of its iterations that the Invid Regent, the arc's Big Bad, ended up as a scenery-chewing, delightfully hammy, "for teh evulz" antagonist in the fine tradition of Ming the Merciless, Skeletor, Dr. Hell, or Emperor Daibazaal.

The comic book version devoured the scenery with such gusto that he'd fit right in in The Venture Bros as a member of the Guild of Calamitous Intent.

Alas, despite my best efforts, no I had not forgotten that hilariously corny robot cat or the robot noodle people that accompanied it.  Kind of off-message for an alien race that found inorganic technology offensive and unnatural.

I'm totally on board with Titan's earlier assessment that this series probably won't get far enough to have to worry about it... if it actually makes it to its final (12th) issue I will be quite surprised.

Barring the incredibly lame attempts to make it darker and "gritty", I think this will be the same by-the-numbers revisit of the Macross Saga as every previous attempt, which means maybe Minmei is going to take up a different genre... think she's got it in her to do death metal?

I'm rather baffled how you can not like the beautiful Hellcat, which to me is as  pleasing to the eye as the Gister Dohl, the Regult or the Gurab.  I'd certainly rather have figs or models of those than of Min Mei, to whom I have the same attitude as that  held by Fulliautomatix  towards Cacophonix in the Asterix comics.

Where do you get the comment about the attitude to inorganic tech from, BTW? I don't remember reading that in the novels (then again it was a while ago that I read them).

• azrael changed the title to Robotech by Titan Comics
  • 3 weeks later...
On 18/08/2017 at 7:20 PM, Sandman said:

Those Antarctic comics were terrible even by 90s standards. I don't even consider most of them as "professional" works. There was one series (can't remember the name) where the art was obviously done by a non-artist, just some guy who could doodle in the margins of his school notebook.

It wasn't "The Cyberpirates", was it? It was published under Eternity, not Antarctic but even when back when I bought anything vaguely anime-ish I recognised the art in that as being fantastically bad.

http://robotechvisions.wikia.com/wiki/Robotech_II:_The_Sentinels:_Cyberpirates

On 8/2/2017 at 11:58 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

....They can freely use the VF-1 design from the TV series in merchandise... and since the original work is a television series, the comic books are legally classified as merchandise.

So, if Harmony/Gold can use the designs in merchandise, how long before they start selling 1/72 models of the Veritech..?:o

Ripley Protocol it!

9 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Can we just convert the thread into a "favorite movie lines" thread?

Sure!

"Harmony Gold is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop... ever, until you are dead. "

Or it is, you all know how the movie ends.

11 hours ago, F-ZeroOne said:

It wasn't "The Cyberpirates", was it? It was published under Eternity, not Antarctic but even when back when I bought anything vaguely anime-ish I recognised the art in that as being fantastically bad.

http://robotechvisions.wikia.com/wiki/Robotech_II:_The_Sentinels:_Cyberpirates

No cyberpirates was a work of art  in comparison. Robotech: Mordecai is the comic I think. It took place in the far far future and had a girl crash a mech (very crappy drawn) and that was about it. Looking through that wiki brought back unpleasant memories of some shitty comics.

10 hours ago, Thom said:

So, if Harmony/Gold can use the designs in merchandise, how long before they start selling 1/72 models of the Veritech..?:o

Harmony Gold's stance has been that there's not really enough of a demand for model kits these days. (Who can blame them on that market analysis? The hobby is quite niche and Robotech is even more niche.) That stance will likely not change anytime soon. And I mean, the model kits from Hasegawa, Bandai, Wave and so on are easily available for those who want them anyway.

On 9/14/2017 at 8:00 PM, Dynaman said:

Forget Minmei, what the heck happened to Breetai and Exedore?

Well, either Exedore got remarkably tall, or Breetai shrunk considerably...  <_<

7 hours ago, Sandman said:

Robotech: Mordecai is the comic I think.

With stuff like this, right?

Mordecai.jpg.78d51449e1d6eb21ab59c40d14253cff.jpg

Still superior to the crap Academy published.

yuck!.jpg.9651ca6f2e80ebe9cb60ebee26f48062.jpg

18 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Can we just convert the thread into a "favorite movie lines" thread?

That seems a little too off-topic... but how about a "Worst Robotech Comic" contest?

gawd.jpg.f0ba4d69322a7d51d1b59a0611e3e8c1.jpg

It's hard to imagine anything worse than that...!  :o

2 hours ago, tekering said:

Well, either Exedore got remarkably tall, or Breetai shrunk considerably...  <_<

With stuff like this, right?

Mordecai.jpg.78d51449e1d6eb21ab59c40d14253cff.jpg

Still superior to the crap Academy published.

yuck!.jpg.9651ca6f2e80ebe9cb60ebee26f48062.jpg

That seems a little too off-topic... but how about a "Worst Robotech Comic" contest?

gawd.jpg.f0ba4d69322a7d51d1b59a0611e3e8c1.jpg

It's hard to imagine anything worse than that...!  :o

You monster... you made Rikko's eyes bleed wit that

Horrible_Subs_Made_in_Abyss_-_10_720p_.m

12 hours ago, Dynaman said:

No worse than Klingon's claiming Shakespeare as their own.  That Breetai art though...

Now that you mention him, it really bothers me that I can't tell which row of teeth that's supposed to be... it looks like he has a wicked underbite.

13 hours ago, Dynaman said:

No worse than Klingon's claiming Shakespeare as their own.  That Breetai art though...

What are you talking about? Klingons would easily have access to Shakespware, as well as the comedic irony to claim him as their own.

Zentradi however, even in robotech, should have no clue whatsoever what a mother is, let alone a pup & the biological relationship between the two.

That completely shatters any effect of later storyline "cultureshock."

On 8/18/2017 at 2:20 PM, Sandman said:

Those Antarctic comics were terrible even by 90s standards. I don't even consider most of them as "professional" works. There was one series (can't remember the name) where the art was obviously done by a non-artist, just some guy who could doodle in the margins of his school notebook. A lot of them had "story" that was utter gibberish. Jeez thinking about this now makes me want to dig up some scans and laugh at it again. It amazing HG would ever allow their brand to get insulted by that crap. I'd love to see a documentary from antarctic's perspective on making these comics and what a crap show it must have been.

You and Seito , please post your thoughts on the Antarctic series Robotech: Covert Ops!

1 hour ago, Keith said:

What are you talking about? Klingons would easily have access to Shakespware, as well as the comedic irony to claim him as their own.

Pretentious literary buffoonery knows no bounds among sentient, cultured species.

1 hour ago, Keith said:

Zentradi however, even in robotech, should have no clue whatsoever what a mother is, let alone a pup & the biological relationship between the two.

To be fair, Robotech already kinda shattered that effect... the thing that threw the Zentradi was love songs, emotions they had no frame of reference to process on an intellectual or social level, hence a massive "DOES NOT COMPUTE!".  In Robotech, the song they use for the Minmay Attack is basically one long rambling declaration of "we're going to win this fight no matter what", a sentiment the Zentradi should have no trouble processing.

9 minutes ago, glane21 said:

You and Seito , please post your thoughts on the Antarctic series Robotech: Covert Ops!

*fifteen minutes of continuous atonal shrieking*

1 hour ago, Keith said:

Both used it for the exact same purpose(*) - coming up with something alien would have made it meaningless to the reader.

(*) - plenty of other books, shows, movies have used colloquial expressions for aliens as well, I'm not going to get hung up over it.

2 hours ago, Keith said:

The staff is not being paid enough to care that much and there's no anti-war theme in Robotech.  Might as well chalk up that effect as the whimsical power of Zor's mother.

On 15/09/2017 at 8:03 AM, Sandman said:

No cyberpirates was a work of art  in comparison. Robotech: Mordecai is the comic I think. It took place in the far far future and had a girl crash a mech (very crappy drawn) and that was about it. Looking through that wiki brought back unpleasant memories of some shitty comics.

I see from the scans posted later that you're right but... good grief, I didn't think "worse than 'Cyberpirates'" was possible! (for the record, I have mixed feelings about "Robotech" - on the one hand, it did get me into giant robot anime through the RPGs).