Robotech and REMIX by Titan Comics

Old_Nash

9 hours ago, azrael said:

Mod Warning
Please refrain from posting any more scans of the comic(s). You can re-post the public previews but no more. We do not want or need to hear an earful from Titan Comics and Titan Publishing.

And I'm sure many of us would like to avoid having seizures until we're much older and greyer.

Seizures? I think looking at that crap gave me cancer. Me and my damned morbid curiosity.....:rolleyes: 

46 minutes ago, Kyp Durron said:

Seizures? I think looking at that crap gave me cancer. Me and my damned morbid curiosity.....:rolleyes: 

Should we petition the publisher to add a Surgeon General's warning to the cover?

19 hours ago, Astralith said:

God help us all. 

Anyone else notice that harmony gold is suddenly giving a shite about Robotech seemingly out of nowhere?

Makes you wander if this is a last ditch effort to stay relevant and avoid bankruptcy. :/  

Must be because of that rumored movie? Getting this comic out would garner them some advance publicity, just in case that movie gets the greenlight. Sadly I don't think this is merely to avoid bankruptcy. If there's somebody out there with the money/authority likes what he sees and thinks it worth it, they'll hit the jackpot.

6 hours ago, hachi said:

Must be because of that rumored movie? Getting this comic out would garner them some advance publicity, just in case that movie gets the greenlight. Sadly I don't think this is merely to avoid bankruptcy. If there's somebody out there with the money/authority likes what he sees and thinks it worth it, they'll hit the jackpot.

Sort of, yes.  People associated with the Robotech creative staff - I wouldn't call them "friends" of the staff because they're more like disposable suckups and lackeys - have indicated that the sudden spike in the brand's output of crap merchandise is an attempt by Harmony Gold's management to raise Sony's confidence in the brand's marketability.  They seem to be hoping that if they can show that the brand moves merchandise, even if the merchandise itself is trash, it'll make the execs at Sony Pictures more likely to greenlight the movie out of development hell.  I suspect that's wishful thinking of the most hilarious kind.  Sony's not likely to be fooled by a another lousy comic book reboot that even its publisher is uncertain about, and a bunch of super-expensive limited edition garbage rolling out of Hong Kong.

I'm personally inclined to suspect the reason they feel the need to hit merchandising hard and fast is because they still have the albatross of Robotech RPG Tactics hanging 'round their neck courtesy of Palladium Books' incompetence.  The level of ill will that seemingly inextinguishable dumpster fire produces is oddly impressive, and would've made any company uneasy about a business relationship even before it narrowly avoided accruing a death toll resulting from bad PR.

On 2017-08-04 at 9:01 PM, captain america said:

Let's face it: if this comic had another title and HG wasn't involved, you would think it was half-bad. We all have biases, but I'm trying to look at it at face-value. If we are to be frank with ourselves: if the characters were to be similar to their Anime counterparts, they'd be heckled for "ripping-off" Macross (and likely sued), and if they try to do something different, they get lambasted because the characters don't look look the way we expected them to.

Yep, biases shine through pretty good here. This doesn't really look that bad, even though there's some choices made that I question. I wish that they would have dared change more designs and distanced themselves more from Macross, but I can live with this. The important part is the story, but after one issue it's still too soon to tell were it will go.

9 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Sort of, yes.  People associated with the Robotech creative staff - I wouldn't call them "friends" of the staff because they're more like disposable suckups and lackeys - have indicated that the sudden spike in the brand's output of crap merchandise is an attempt by Harmony Gold's management to raise Sony's confidence in the brand's marketability.  They seem to be hoping that if they can show that the brand moves merchandise, even if the merchandise itself is trash, it'll make the execs at Sony Pictures more likely to greenlight the movie out of development hell.  I suspect that's wishful thinking of the most hilarious kind.  Sony's not likely to be fooled by a another lousy comic book reboot that even its publisher is uncertain about, and a bunch of super-expensive limited edition garbage rolling out of Hong Kong.

I'm personally inclined to suspect the reason they feel the need to hit merchandising hard and fast is because they still have the albatross of Robotech RPG Tactics hanging 'round their neck courtesy of Palladium Books' incompetence.  The level of ill will that seemingly inextinguishable dumpster fire produces is oddly impressive, and would've made any company uneasy about a business relationship even before it narrowly avoided accruing a death toll resulting from bad PR.

I was talking to folks somewhat in the know about the current legal battles of Piranha Games (MWO) in relation to Battletech during the local game session of current demo game session (Wolves bend over the FRR etc) and most of us openly hoped that HG will bite off far too much to chew on in the courts. As for the comic being above discussed. I'm on the fence. Gamer side actually likes some aspects of it... if it was Macross instead of [CENSORED BY GOD!]. the parent side? it wants to slap me silly for even liking such a retarded comic effort. Here's a thought: Is that comic representative of what a Sony-made movie would entail?

17 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

What I'm worried about is that people who only know Robotech will still buy their merchandise. Or others will buy out of curiosity. Even though HG doesn't deserve even one cent.

7 hours ago, TehPW said:

I was talking to folks somewhat in the know about the current legal battles of Piranha Games (MWO) in relation to Battletech during the local game session of current demo game session (Wolves bend over the FRR etc) and most of us openly hoped that HG will bite off far too much to chew on in the courts. As for the comic being above discussed. I'm on the fence. Gamer side actually likes some aspects of it... if it was Macross instead of [CENSORED BY GOD!]. the parent side? it wants to slap me silly for even liking such a retarded comic effort. Here's a thought: Is that comic representative of what a Sony-made movie would entail?

See, if they put out this comic they can get feedback on what works and what doesn't. What does the potential audience like, what don't they like? And they have to be targeting not only the Robotech fans--but anybody who reads comics. It's already there visible at the front page of the Titan comics site. I did not click on it though.

19 hours ago, Lorindor said:

Yep, biases shine through pretty good here. This doesn't really look that bad, even though there's some choices made that I question. I wish that they would have dared change more designs and distanced themselves more from Macross, but I can live with this. The important part is the story, but after one issue it's still too soon to tell were it will go.

I don't doubt that the reactions here have a fair amount of built-in bias because we're all Macross fans... but if the independent reviewers are any indication, bias didn't result in a different conclusion.  The independent, non-fan reviewers seem to be mostly united in saying this is at best a thoroughly mediocre comic with a disjointed narrative that assumes that the reader is already familiar with the Robotech story and thus is making little-to-no effort to be an ambassador to the non-fan.

Thus far, the only difference I've seen between non-fan and fan unpaid reviews is that the fans seem to think all the things that were dealbreakers to the non-fan are positive traits, and that the lack of innovation is something laudable.  The few gushingly positive professional reviews reek of bought-and-paid-for.

14 hours ago, TehPW said:

The general consensus on the current round of Harmony Gold legal actions against Piranha Games, Catalyst Game Labs, and their various partners is rather dangerously close to spurious.

I got the chance to have a friend of mine who is a corporate lawyer specializing in patent and trademark law look over Harmony Gold's filing and claims.  He did ask that I indicate that he was not acting in any official capacity on this and his impressions should not be interpreted as legal advice.  That said, his impression of Harmony Gold's filing against Catalyst et. al. given the publicly-available documents was that there is very little chance of a judgement in Harmony Gold's favor unless Catalyst/Piranha/etc. did something incredibly foolish like using Unseen designs as the starting point for the new designs in their development process (and retained papers showing they did that could be subpoenaed).  He reckons they're hoping Catalyst and co. will panic - either because those designs are illegal derivatives of the Macross designs or because the project can't afford the litigation - and will opt to settle out of court on Harmony Gold's terms.  (It's likely a "brand protection" lawsuit, since Harmony Gold thinks the Robotech brand is worth something again and want to put the kibosh on anything that looks similar, possibly to show Sony they're taking custodianship of the series seriously.)

Legally speaking, no... the comic is not representative of what a Sony-made movie would entail.  Harmony Gold USA cannot use or authorize the use of the Macross designs and various key terms and story elements from Macross in new animated or live-action cinematic works.  They can only use those things in merchandise, comics, novels, and video games all being merchandise.  A movie by Sony would look nothing like this, for reasons of copyright.

6 hours ago, hachi said:

What I'm worried about is that people who only know Robotech will still buy their merchandise. Or others will buy out of curiosity. Even though HG doesn't deserve even one cent.

Well, there are still fans of that nonsense who will pay for overpriced trash, which is how the monstrously expensive Kitz Concepts stuff sells out of its ultra-low volume limited editions.

6 hours ago, hachi said:

See, if they put out this comic they can get feedback on what works and what doesn't. What does the potential audience like, what don't they like? And they have to be targeting not only the Robotech fans--but anybody who reads comics. It's already there visible at the front page of the Titan comics site. I did not click on it though.

Well, if they're targeting anyone who reads comics boy have they cocked it up...

I still own almost a full set of the Robotech comics from Comico. Don't ask why. I know when I purchased them I was young and getting just about anything with the Robotech name. Also, I didn't see all of the episodes on TV, so those comics made up for the missing stories. But I don't see the point of this version with new artwork. I'm sure they could release three collected paperbacks of those old issues if they haven't already.

8 hours ago, JetJockey said:

I still own almost a full set of the Robotech comics from Comico. Don't ask why. I know when I purchased them I was young and getting just about anything with the Robotech name. Also, I didn't see all of the episodes on TV, so those comics made up for the missing stories. But I don't see the point of this version with new artwork. I'm sure they could release three collected paperbacks of those old issues if they haven't already.

I used to own those as well and a large number of those comics would have to be redrawn anyway - near the end of the run they had a very good artist but had one issue done by a "guest" artist which looked like something *I* could draw.  Up till then all the art was substandard at best.

10 hours ago, JetJockey said:

Their reluctance to simply re-issue the Comico stuff probably has something to do with the company denouncing all of the pre-2001 licensee-made material as low-quality garbage back in 2006.

On 8/6/2017 at 4:49 AM, hachi said:

That didn't help Dynamite Comics.  I think it's important to remember that people are getting this because someone royally screwed up years ago.

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Their reluctance to simply re-issue the Comico stuff probably has something to do with the company denouncing all of the pre-2001 licensee-made material as low-quality garbage back in 2006.

Yup!  They want NEW garbage now.

3 hours ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

Robotech.com is back up I saw this and it made me cringe.

https://robotech.com/news/robotech-comic-reviews-are-in

It's not like they're under any obligation to post the much greater number of reviews that say "this book is shite"... that's marketing.  You pick and choose the bits that make you look good to customers and potential customers and refuse to acknowledge the rest, sometimes to the extent of sticking together unrelated sentence fragments of criticism to make them look like praise out of context.

13 hours ago, akt_m said:

I wonder why Minmay is so ugly. Was this a SJW thing to make her ugly?

... not sure I wanna know how you arrived at that theory.

The impression I've gotten from the pages that've done the rounds as "teasers" and "previews" is that Titan Comics is doing an awful lot of tracing for this series, which would explain many of the awkward poses that look more at home in a fashion magazine, out-of-place facial expressions, and several characters seemingly having totally different faces panel-to-panel.  I would assume her adaptational change in attractiveness is probably the result of whatever they traced her from.  (Their take on her dress makes me suspect a wire-fu movie.)

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Here's my take, I'm no expert either.

Some poses, if not all, do look like they came out of a fashion magazine. Rick Hunter meeting Roy for example. Another is Claudia on the bridge while the attack is on, she is standing with her hand on her hip as if she got to the end of a fashion runway. Another is when Minmei is shown running. It's as if someone was told to pose like they were running without running.

The inking is way too thick. It makes, for example, Minmei's hair look all nappy and dirty, almost like a homeless person's hair. 

No navy personnel would wear stripper shoes to work.

The story is different. Roy went from somewhat of a big brother we all wants to have, to a brother who's disowned his family. Rick escaped from prison (the brig) and stole a car (military aircraft.) So now he's your typical felon...

As Captain said, if it was a different title, maybe I'd want to read more. But no matter how great the story is. If the art doesn't follow suit, then it just plain kills it. 

I had high hopes for the art, considering the Artgerm cover and other variants. What's the point of an awesome cover if the Meche doesn't even match! 

21 minutes ago, coronadlux said:

I had high hopes for the art, considering the Artgerm cover and other variants. What's the point of an awesome cover if the Meche doesn't even match!

That was the classic Dark Horse Model.  Amazing cover paintings, atrocious interior art.

1 hour ago, coronadlux said:

This is the best example of this idiom:

"Don't judge a book by its cover."

^_^

6 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

... not sure I wanna know how you arrived at that theory.

The impression I've gotten from the pages that've done the rounds as "teasers" and "previews" is that Titan Comics is doing an awful lot of tracing for this series, which would explain many of the awkward poses that look more at home in a fashion magazine, 

The profusion of digital cameras makes even that explanation seem stretched, any pose you want you could simply get someone to go out and do the the pose for you and trace the picture.

On 8/7/2017 at 5:53 AM, Dynaman said:

I used to own those as well and a large number of those comics would have to be redrawn anyway - near the end of the run they had a very good artist but had one issue done by a "guest" artist which looked like something *I* could draw.  Up till then all the art was substandard at best.

I think I remember that guess artist. But you are right, the art in these wasn't the best. Especially compared to the work in the Marvel comics I was reading at the time. I guess they tried keeping it kind of close to the cartoon look though. But still as a kid I barely cared as it was Robotech and more of that story.

On 8/7/2017 at 8:26 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

Really, they called them garbage? What a way to insult the people that paid money for those when they were kids. The least a company can do is show I guess acceptance of their product. Even if it's not the best or dated. It did make them money and pay the bills.

On 8/7/2017 at 10:18 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

It's not like they're under any obligation to post the much greater number of reviews that say "this book is shite"... that's marketing.  You pick and choose the bits that make you look good to customers and potential customers and refuse to acknowledge the rest, sometimes to the extent of sticking together unrelated sentence fragments of criticism to make them look like praise out of context.

True you see that with every movie. You see those youtube videos at times that make fun of movies with the true tag lines.

15 hours ago, coronadlux said:

To sell the comic. There are a bunch of pinup artists that do cover work today. Which is ok at times. I buy those covers. But I liked the old days when the cover art always matched. It was like that on the Robotech comics.

17 hours ago, Mommar said:

Because recent Marvel are known for redrawing all of their females to look more male/ugly.

That's SJW? I don't read the stuff Marvel puts out these days, but the impressions I got from the comic blogs I read, the SJW stuff wasn't about looking ugly. So, that description about SJW looked off.

Anyway, about the cover, that was misleading. I think they never bothered to do character design, and the artist is just winging it/making it up as they go along. Anyone expecting to see a beautiful and sexy Minmay in the content would be in for a shock! :p 

18 hours ago, Mommar said:

Because recent Marvel are known for redrawing all of their females to look more male/ugly.

I've never really been one for American comic books, but really?  Most everything I've seen come out of both major publishing houses has every woman look like a lingerie model or porn star in spandex, where the men who aren't gonk all look like bodybuilders.

Then again, I grew up in Liefeld's dark age, so you know what my first exposure to comics was like. 

18 hours ago, coronadlux said:

No navy personnel would wear stripper shoes to work.

Well... putting aside the fact that the military in question wasn't a navy in the original or the American adaptation this is based on... I do know a few who would if they thought they could get away with it.  <_< 

I had high hopes for the art, [...]

That was your first mistake, having high hopes for something that had the R-word on the cover.

For all practical intents and purposes, the R-word is practically a warning label indicating the product is of depressingly poor quality, painfully stupid and/or lacking in originality.  FFS, this is a brand with a "creator" whose name has literally become industry slang for screwing up so hard that the adaptation is a mockery of the original work.

[...] considering the Artgerm cover and other variants. What's the point of an awesome cover if the Meche doesn't even match! 

That was your second mistake, because Covers Always Lie.

17 hours ago, Mommar said:

That was the classic Dark Horse Model.  Amazing cover paintings, atrocious interior art.

Robotech comics adhere to a very similar rule... usually it's "awful cover paintings, atrocious interior art".  The few that bucked that trend followed the Dark Horse model you identified.

As a rule, the content will ALWAYS suck.

13 hours ago, Dynaman said:

The profusion of digital cameras makes even that explanation seem stretched, any pose you want you could simply get someone to go out and do the the pose for you and trace the picture.

Never, NEVER underestimate the power of laziness.

2 hours ago, JetJockey said:

Really, they called them garbage? What a way to insult the people that paid money for those when they were kids. The least a company can do is show I guess acceptance of their product. Even if it's not the best or dated. It did make them money and pay the bills.

They weren't quite THAT blunt about it, but the meaning was absolutely there when they dismissed all the pre-2001 licensee-created works.  They dismissed them on the grounds that the pre-2001 licensees were churning out poor quality work that was riddled with both internal inconsistencies and inconsistencies with the Robotech setting (tactfully omitting that they'd also frequently committed copyright infringement), and indicated that they would never have seen the light of day if the Harmony Gold staff at the time had been on the ball and exercising an appropriate level of creative oversight instead of ignoring the franchise entirely.  They felt that made it Robotech in name only, and indicated it would not be counted as part of the official continuity in any way.

In all honesty, having read virtually everything covered by that proclamation except Robotech: Clone, I felt that was a pretty good call.  The vast majority of it WAS garbage even by the low standards of the day and the bush league comics publishers they were dealing with, and the copyright infringement by several publishers didn't help.  I thought it showed a moment of rare integrity on their part when they admitted the root of the problem was Harmony Gold's brand management and pledged to change that aspect of their corporate culture in the hope that it would enable them to deliver a more consistent product instead of taking the Macek way out by laying all of the blame for ruining a perfect creative vision on their licensees and business partners.

21 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

They weren't quite THAT blunt about it, but the meaning was absolutely there when they dismissed all the pre-2001 licensee-created works.  They dismissed them on the grounds that the pre-2001 licensees were churning out poor quality work that was riddled with both internal inconsistencies and inconsistencies with the Robotech setting (tactfully omitting that they'd also frequently committed copyright infringement), and indicated that they would never have seen the light of day if the Harmony Gold staff at the time had been on the ball and exercising an appropriate level of creative oversight instead of ignoring the franchise entirely.  They felt that made it Robotech in name only, and indicated it would not be counted as part of the official continuity in any way.

In all honesty, having read virtually everything covered by that proclamation except Robotech: Clone, I felt that was a pretty good call.  The vast majority of it WAS garbage even by the low standards of the day and the bush league comics publishers they were dealing with, and the copyright infringement by several publishers didn't help.  I thought it showed a moment of rare integrity on their part when they admitted the root of the problem was Harmony Gold's brand management and pledged to change that aspect of their corporate culture in the hope that it would enable them to deliver a more consistent product instead of taking the Macek way out by laying all of the blame for ruining a perfect creative vision on their licensees and business partners.

Other than the comics for Macross, Southern Cross, and New Generation. Which they couldn't screw up that much since they were just breaking down the episodes into comic form. I only read a few of the Sentinels comics. That's where I stopped. I never heard of Clone before. I think the Sentinels comics were cancelled or slow? I don't think they made comics for all the Sentinel novels. Which I think there were five. I recall not liking the Sentinels that much. When I got the I guess movie or first episode or two, that was the one where I could tell something was different. That the animation and characters weren't the same compared to Robotech. The music was ok. But I think I watched DYRL and Flashback at that point. So the Sentinels stuff just didn't seem right. I think I thought the Sentinels books were ok because at least you could get into the characters more. Or at least reading those books after the Robotech novels made it seem better.

Jeez, just typing it I see I really loved Robotech stuff back then. Watching the shows, getting the comics, and reading the novels. It never seemed like overkill at the time.

1 hour ago, JetJockey said:

Other than the comics for Macross, Southern Cross, and New Generation. Which they couldn't screw up that much since they were just breaking down the episodes into comic form.

They still did a pretty terrible job with 'em.  The art for Comico's Macross Saga comics is so bad it's the subject of several memes due to frequent art inconsistencies like Gloval's pipe teleporting from one hand to the other between panels or coloring errors making him look like he has a harelip.  

(They also attempted to "fix" several issues created by their bad dub, like drawing a second SDF in the lake in Ep36, which created a persistent fan myth that there was animation showing a second ship there that was cut for some reason.)

1 hour ago, JetJockey said:

I only read a few of the Sentinels comics. That's where I stopped. I never heard of Clone before. I think the Sentinels comics were cancelled or slow? I don't think they made comics for all the Sentinel novels. Which I think there were five. I recall not liking the Sentinels that much.

Clone was, IIRC, one of a large number of short-lived comic spinoffs that mostly got canceled.

The comic book adaptation/continuation of Robotech II: the Sentinels started out based on what'd been drafted for the Sentinels TV series before its early production cancellation.  It diverged into a loose adaptation of Luceno and Daley's godawful novels that skipped the vast majority of the Star Wars-ripoff1 stuff (to its credit) and largely stayed that way until the series met its premature end after Academy Comics lost the license in 1996.  The successor, Antarctic Press, opted not to bring the comic's staff onboard and launched their own unrelated comic, Sentinels: Rubicon which was such an unholy mess it's almost a work of Dadaist art.

Antarctic Press were, hands down, the worst offenders in terms of copyright infringement.  They had several comics with entire plots stolen from other anime series like Ghost in the Shell, and in many of their comics they had characters and mecha stolen from other shows including a couple different Macross titles, several big-budget Hollywood movies2, and TV shows.

Spoiler

1. Like treating "protoculture" as analogous to The Force, VFs having shields, etc.  Sometimes I swear Luceno and Daley's Robotech books were rejected Star Wars novels that were subjected to a find-and-replace.

2. Robotech: Wings of Gibraltar introduced a new VF to the "Macross Saga" era that is rather obviously a VF-19F under its hideous purple, gold, and green paintjob.  The character who'd developed it at a secret asteroid base is drawn in a totally different style from everyone else because he's traced from stills of Brent Spiner's character from the movie Independence Day, with zero effort made to hide the fact.  The other comics were hardly any more subtle about their thievery than that.