Robotech and REMIX by Titan Comics

Old_Nash

1 hour ago, Knight26 said:

I've spoken to the artist who did the original CG that the new VF is based on.  He sold it to another artist not realizing that it would be used in the comic.  That does not violate the contract however.  While VF-1 inspired, it is not the original design.  This is how HG is getting around the court ruling.  I've yet to see their version of the SDF-1.  Also, that dialogue, ugh.

Actually, it would still be copyright infringement if Harmony Gold were to use the design from this comic in an animated or live-action feature... because it IS clearly derivative of the original Studio Nue design, and their license doesn't permit them to do that except in merchandise.  The new design was completely unnecessary for the same reason.  They can freely use the VF-1 design from the TV series in merchandise... and since the original work is a television series, the comic books are legally classified as merchandise.

In short, they (meaning Harmony Gold and/or Titan Comics) are not "getting around" any court rulings.  They're using the merchandising rights Harmony Gold has had under its license from Tatsunoko since 1984.

(The comic uses the Super Dimension Fortress Macross design for the titular SDF-1 Macross, which makes the decision to go with a hideous piece of fanart to replace the VF-1 even more bizarre.)

13 minutes ago, anime52k8 said:

That's amazing, and not in a good way. I think my favorite part are the random Spartan III's from Halo: reach.

One has to wonder if Microsoft will file a lawsuit over that... it's pretty effing blatant.

I don't think the changed appearances are for rights issues since comics are considered merchandise... I think it's an effort to get the fan base to start imagining things different so they don't lose their stuff when the movie doesn't resemble Macross at all.

17 hours ago, Old_Nash said:

My eyes are bleending...

Those character designs are awful. So you posted this here to make our eyes suffer too? haha

I just 'unearthed' my copy of the Gundam Origin volume 1 last week and I am so jealous of the hardcore Gundam fans. Imagine what could have been, a hardcover, English-translation of a Macross manga! (Though I don't like Macross The First that much.)

4 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

Besides the character designs I also noticed that the bridge crew footwear will probably end up killing them, or is at least meant for a different line of work...

it's the little details like this that make this so amazing. There's just so many questions: why doesn't the SDF-1 look like an alien ship when it first arrived? why do they have an M1919 machine gun from WWII on a helicopter carrying UNSC spartans armed with space lasers? why does Minmay look likes she's about 50? Why is Lisa a dude in a wig? How did they get Jessica Lang to play Vanessa? Why does the Fan Racer have a DYRL style VF-1 cockpit? How is that transformation control even supposed to work? Why did the VF-1D's feet just disappear for one panel on the second to last page? Why is the artist trying so hard to avoid drawing Rick Hunters eyes?

Its a good thing I don't care about the human characters. I'm scared to look at what they did to the Zentraedi.

I started getting a really bad feeling when I read that they were "modernising it for the younger generation" or some such annoyance (would be ok if it only meant upgraded art).

Hey waitaminnit... this better not be the scene where we first see a Zentraedi warrior, cos he appears to be missing.

Mod Warning
Please refrain from posting any more scans of the comic(s). You can re-post the public previews but no more. We do not want or need to hear an earful from Titan Comics and Titan Publishing.

And I'm sure many of us would like to avoid having seizures until we're much older and greyer.

1 hour ago, Podtastic said:

Its a good thing I don't care about the human characters. I'm scared to look at what they did to the Zentraedi.

That "thing" at the end of the comic might as well be a space bear, which this universe actually had at one point.

28 minutes ago, azrael said:

Mod Warning
Please refrain from posting any more scans of the comic(s). You can re-post the public previews but no more. We do not want or need to hear an earful from Titan Comics and Titan Publishing.

And I'm sure many of us would like to avoid having seizures until we're much older and greyer.

Not disagreeing, but IINM the pages posted are not scans... they're the preview pictures released by the publisher and shared online by the various second- and third-tier reviewers who were persuaded not to ignore this lamentable tome.

46 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Not disagreeing, but IINM the pages posted are not scans... they're the preview pictures released by the publisher and shared online by the various second- and third-tier reviewers who were persuaded not to ignore this lamentable tome.

I'm probably going to get lynched for saying this, but I think the character designs are kinda neat. In the interest of clarification, I appreciate that they brought a sense of realism to them and while I do think that Lieutenant Hayes does indeed look like a man in drag and Lick Huntaah can do way better, I appreciate the fact that they're distancing themselves from the anime and doing something that is more uniquely theirs.

Let's face it: if this comic had another title and HG wasn't involved, you would think it was half-bad. We all have biases, but I'm trying to look at it at face-value. If we are to be frank with ourselves: if the characters were to be similar to their Anime counterparts, they'd be heckled for "ripping-off" Macross (and likely sued), and if they try to do something different, they get lambasted because the characters don't look look the way we expected them to.

I'm actually far more disappointed with the new Veritech designs, which look like cheap commie knock-offs. There was an opportunity for them to come up with something clever and innovative (or at least pretty to look at), which I think was squandered. Anyways, what do I know, right? :rolleyes:

42 minutes ago, captain america said:

Let's face it: if this comic had another title and HG wasn't involved, you would think it was half-bad. We all have biases, but I'm trying to look at it at face-value. If we are to be frank with ourselves: if the characters were to be similar to their Anime counterparts, they'd be heckled for "ripping-off" Macross (and likely sued), and if they try to do something different, they get lambasted because the characters don't look look the way we expected them to.

That would be the Tommy Yune era of work that ended with the Voltron crossover, remember? I think it's safe to say at this point his ability to imitate anime was the only reason he got as far as he did here.  The rest of his comic book industry experience couldn't solve the franchise's problems, which has now become full blown identity crisis with this outing.

59 minutes ago, azrael said:

Marco Turini has done some better work (?). And for sure Stanley Lau has done covers for much better subjects.

Perhaps so, but there are many variables to consider. A long time ago I used to be a commercial illustrator too, and I know all too well there are things like deadlines, re-do's and budgets to consider. Sometimes what we want to do is at odds with what needs to be done.