Robotech and REMIX by Titan Comics

Old_Nash

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Oh, five'll get you twenty it's legal's doing.

Max and Milia are featured prominently in Macross's sequels and spinoffs, and Harmony Gold doesn't want to do anything that might draw the attention of Big West's layers ever since the whole Big West v. Tatsunoko dustup they inadvertently triggered.  That's why Robotech: Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles got rid of every remaining Macross Saga character apart from Rick Hunter by either killing them or putting them on a bus as preparation for the Shadow Chronicles movie.

I bet the irony of sue happy lawyers being sent in escapes them.

2 hours ago, JohnMc said:

I bet the irony of sue happy lawyers being sent in escapes them.

Somehow, I doubt the irony is lost on them... the fact that they now live in fear of a lawsuit from Macross's owners as a direct result of their own attempts to falsely assert ownership of the Macross franchise can't have escaped them.

@JonMc 

tumblr_mz181ybnW31s40tcxo1_500.png

Get over yourself and watch Remix’s source material.  Also, if you are lucky, maybe there’s a Let’s Play of Macross M3 on YouTube to watch.  It’s not like there’s anything worthwhile you or anyone else have to look forward to in the foreseeable future.

Edited by Einherjar

13 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Somehow, I doubt the irony is lost on them... the fact that they now live in fear of a lawsuit from Macross's owners as a direct result of their own attempts to falsely assert ownership of the Macross franchise can't have escaped them.

Yeah, but Harmony Gold are usually the ones that will send in the lawyers over the least little thing. So its nice to see a reversal of fortune once in awhile

10 hours ago, Einherjar said:

@JonMc 

tumblr_mz181ybnW31s40tcxo1_500.png

Get over yourself and watch Remix’s source material.  Also, if you are lucky, maybe there’s a Let’s Play of Macross M3 on YouTube to watch.  It’s not like there’s anything worthwhile you or anyone else have to look forward to in the foreseeable future.

I only looked forward to this series for the same reason many Youtube comic critics looked forward to every issue of Gabby Rivera's America Chavez comic. Too laugh at the inevitable train wreck that was sure to ensue.

1 hour ago, JohnMc said:

I only looked forward to this series for the same reason many Youtube comic critics looked forward to every issue of Gabby Rivera's America Chavez comic. Too laugh at the inevitable train wreck that was sure to ensue.

Yeah... this is your childhood getting ruined (again).  That’s funny, I guess.

6 hours ago, JohnMc said:

Yeah, but Harmony Gold are usually the ones that will send in the lawyers over the least little thing. So its nice to see a reversal of fortune once in awhile

Given what I've heard from the Robotech staff at HG directly, the looming prospect of facing litigation from Big West dominated every aspect of the Robotech franchise's reboot efforts in the 2000s.  They were so afraid that they'd do something to bring Big West down on their heads in the wake of the cease and desist debacle that kicked off the copyright reviews in Japan that HG's management mandated that absolutely everything related to Robotech had to be reviewed by the company's legal counsel before it saw the light of day.  Not just the big stuff like concept art for Shadow Chronicles or merchandise proposals... even stuff as trivial as news stories for the front page of the official website.  That's why Robotech.com was always the last to have any kind of news.  

Smart money says that even Titan's proposals for story and design in Remix had to be run past the lawyers to make sure they weren't going to bring Big West down on everyone's heads.  That's probably why the comic is death on the very idea of Max and "Miriya" getting together.  It's too overtly Macross-y.

Truth be told, at least some of their stompings-on of other franchises in court have been alleged (by HG) to be on the insistence of the Japanese IP owners.  The most recent rounds of legal action against the BattleTech/MechWarrior franchise, for instance.

5 hours ago, JohnMc said:

Sometimes you can't help but laugh at the incompetence.

'bout the only thing you can do when it comes to Robotech... incompetence is all that's ever on offer.

• azrael locked this topic