Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I have to agree with Seto, especially since I'm rewatching MS Gundam right now: if you aren't seeing the anti-war message, it's amazing that you are missing it because it is pratically screaming it at you. I'm still in the first third of the original series and I've already had:

- the mother go out with her young son to get back to her husband's town he grew up in, only to find the town has been wiped from the face of the earth. A Zeon pilot flies out of his way to find her and drops supplies to her, only to get shot down by Amaro. The mother even comes out and says "War takes husbands from wives and fathers from children"

- Garma's fiance does anything she can to get revenge against the Federation for killing Garma, not knowing Char had as much to do with it as any of the Federation soldiers.

I could also go on and on about how the Zeon are initially painted as the bad guys, but then it throws at you the number of problems and later atrocities the Federation commits as well. If all you see are the cool giant robots fighting, you are missing most of the story. The later series keep making this more and more obvious.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as "Art" goes, your get from it whatever you get from it regardless of what the creator(s) intended.  Whatever resonates with you even if the intended "message" is lost.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DewPoint said:

As far as "Art" goes, your get from it whatever you get from it regardless of what the creator(s) intended.  Whatever resonates with you even if the intended "message" is lost.

Thank you Dewpoint, I see you get it.

Of course the message need not be "lost" there is also the option of "dont care". People can be immune to social messages just as they can be immune to marketing messages.

Edited by Podtastic
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tekering said:

You don't need to qualify that statement; I'm sure we can all agree on that, at least.  :lol:

Oh yes, it's rather telling that literally nobody can seem to muster a defense of Titan Publishing's additions to the ongoing travesty that is Robotech...

Though since Robotech fans and even some folks here were at least reading that dreadful tome, they ought to be able to offer the desired feedback on whether Titan's effort to rework the Robotech story into something more upbeat and Macross-y was an improvement on Robotech's general tone of doom and gloom or not.

(Because, let's be honest, Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles wasn't exactly a prize either and it was as doom-and-gloom-heavy as the rest of it.)

 

2 hours ago, vladykins said:

I have to agree with Seto, especially since I'm rewatching MS Gundam right now: if you aren't seeing the anti-war message, it's amazing that you are missing it because it is pratically screaming it at you. I'm still in the first third of the original series and I've already had:

Only practically?  I'm pretty sure there's a fair bit of actual screaming about it in there somewhere.

Ironically, one of Gundam's scheduled releases for this year is arguably one of its most depressing and least subtle anti-war pieces yet... Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway's Flash.  The light novel was upsetting to read, to say the least.  Poor Hathaway.

 

2 hours ago, vladykins said:

I could also go on and on about how the Zeon are initially painted as the bad guys, but then it throws at you the number of problems and later atrocities the Federation commits as well. If all you see are the cool giant robots fighting, you are missing most of the story. The later series keep making this more and more obvious.

That's one of the fundamental differences in dichotomy between Gundam and Macross... whether or not the average person is basically decent.

In Gundam, there are no good guys because everyone's an arsehole looking out for number one.

In Macross, there are no bad guys because everyone's a decent person trying to do what's best for their people.

 

51 minutes ago, Podtastic said:

Of course the message need not be "lost" there is also the option of "dont care". People can be immune to social messages just as they can be immune to marketing messages.

Not caring about the message doesn't give you a valid point when you're whining about the franchise not making something that is the antithesis of that message.  It just means you didn't get the bloody point. ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Podtastic said:

Thank you Dewpoint, I see you get it.

Of course the message need not be "lost" there is also the option of "dont care". People can be immune to social messages just as they can be immune to marketing messages.

Question is: 

Are you missing the point: ie not seeing it or denying it's existence.

or

Are you immune: You know of the point and understand it, you just choose to not to care about.

And if your immune then it's best just to be honest and say you don't care about the message, you just want [blank].

Which then I'm sure there are series out there that will cater to your tastes. Let the creators create and pick what you like.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Focslain said:

Question is: 

Are you missing the point: ie not seeing it or denying it's existence.

or

Are you immune: You know of the point and understand it, you just choose to not to care about.

And if your immune then it's best just to be honest and say you don't care about the message, you just want [blank].

Which then I'm sure there are series out there that will cater to your tastes. Let the creators create and pick what you like.

Its I dont care. The anti-war message has been done in a lot of anime, war movies, and even Robotech. Its not going to change the world and nobody watches these things because of it.

I  just want future Macross series to be more along the lines of SDF or DYRL or Macross 2 or Frontier and less like Delta and Macross 7.

They all had idols, triangles and such but it was sufficiently counterbalanced by combat and  admirably militaristic aliens in the former that it wasnt quite as painful as in the later.

Of course I would love the ratio to be improved. Whatever happened to men loving adventure, war and action in their entertainment - and the more the better? 

Edited by Podtastic
Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly don’t know how this conversation is still continuing, but if you guys could take the back and forth “I like things that glorify war” and “I do not” to private messages it would be great.

i realize it is tangentially about Macross and Robotech, but you’re just going around in circles now. There’s plenty of sci fi media available that is idealistic and plenty that isn’t, but that has nothing to do with a failed attempt at “yet another Robotech something“.
 

to me the best example of the difference between Macross and Robotech:

in Macross, when they attack Bodolza’s fleet, Minmay sings “love slips away” - a song about how you might lose your love over time, probably written when she realized that Hikaru and her are never going to be together the way they were before.

In Robotech, she sings “we will win,” which is a call to arms, a generic rousing battle anthem and nothing more, because the writers of this version either didn’t understand or didn’t care about the total cognitive dissonance of that scene in Macross being the whole point.

BUT it is important to specify here: it doesn’t matter that they missed the point of Macross, for whatever reason, because they weren’t just translating Macross. They were writing Robotech, which was an entirely different show that just happened to include a bunch of ideas that were largely similar to those in Macross because they were using the same animation. Don’t think of them as different versions of the same story - they are different stories entirely.

 

@Podtastic If you haven’t seen the anime “crest of the stars” and the follow up shows (banner of the stars, and I think battleflag of the stars) you might like it. It’s a late 90s show but I remember it being pretty good and having a lot of Sci fi military elements to it. 
 

@Seto Kaiba from what I read of these I would say... yes? Maybe?

thing about Robotech is, after all this time, there’s only two complete sets of media for it - the original show and the McKinney novels. Everything else couldn’t even finish the run when they tried to simply retell that story, which I think is a telling sign for how much it doesn’t hold up. 

the original show was an 80s cartoon so let’s just accept that it wasn’t great, despite what some people remember, like any 80s cartoon. Where it falls in your personal rankings of 80s cartoons is irrelevant. 


the McKinney novels were... phoned in at best? I read them fairly recently to see how they actually stacked up against my memories of them (I last read them in high school, which was long enough ago). It reminded me a lot of reading some of the... less professional Star Trek, Star Wars and D&D novels. The ones that read like fanfics. There was nothing really standout in any of them.

thing is, the elements in those books, whether they came from abandoned notes Carl Macek left in a filing cabinet somewhere, or half written scripts, or whatever, those stuck and created a framework that Robotech hasn’t really strayed from. People can complain it was cliche or the ideas were lifted from show X or whatever, but again, for the purposes of this conversation - irrelevant. 
 

so with that in mind, I would say - yes, the attempt to do something more upbeat and Macross-like with these comics was an improvement, however, its not like there’s a really good comparison to be made. Pulling various aspects of Macross shows in (legally or infringingly) made it just seem like a pretty good fanfic, instead of a poorly done one knocked out on the cheap to fill a contract for X books, or meet an order for X shows for syndication.  

IMO the idea of “multiple realities” they presented was a nice way to ignore everything that came before and try to start fresh, but then they got bogged down in everything that came before anyways, so it didn’t really matter.

and I’m saying all this as someone who was basically introduced to anime by Robotech. It’s got a little corner of my nerd heart but there’s not a single example of media for it, original show included, that I’d actually consider good. I wouldn’t even recommend it to anyone for historical value anymore. 

Edited by jeniusornome
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, jeniusornome said:

I honestly don’t know how this conversation is still continuing, but if you guys could take the back and forth “I like things that glorify war” and “I do not” to private messages it would be great.

That's not really what that discussion was about... that was more a rebuke for whining about Macross not being something it literally never was. :rolleyes:

 

46 minutes ago, jeniusornome said:

BUT it is important to specify here: it doesn’t matter that they missed the point of Macross, for whatever reason, because they weren’t just translating Macross. They were writing Robotech, which was an entirely different show that just happened to include a bunch of ideas that were largely similar to those in Macross because they were using the same animation. Don’t think of them as different versions of the same story - they are different stories entirely.

That's... not actually quite true. 

They were hastily adapting Macross based, in part, on their earlier aborted plans to produce a localization of it.  Once they got past that and into Southern Cross, they were basically making it up as they went.  That's why the Masters Saga has so many inconsistencies and plot holes.  They had multiple writers working independently, with no plan and no time to check each other's work, and they were writing in the expectation that the audience would be the K-6 crowd so they were also frantically trying to dumb everything down so that a younger audience would understand it.  A big part of why Robotech attracted an older audience than intended was that they did an absolutely terrible job of it.

Macek's own account was, predictably, pretty inaccurate from the get-go and got moreso as time went on and he found a market for claiming to be a creative genius who defined the entire genre instead of just being that guy who hastily cut together three unrelated shows to save a bad Transformers ripoff merchandise line.

 

46 minutes ago, jeniusornome said:

from what I read of these I would say... yes? Maybe?

thing about Robotech is, after all this time, there’s only two complete sets of media for it - the original show and the McKinney novels. Everything else couldn’t even finish the run when they tried to simply retell that story, which I think is a telling sign for how much it doesn’t hold up. 

[...]

so with that in mind, I would say - yes, the attempt to do something more upbeat and Macross-like with these comics was an improvement, however, its not like there’s a really good comparison to be made. Pulling various aspects of Macross shows in (legally or infringingly) made it just seem like a pretty good fanfic, instead of a poorly done one knocked out on the cheap to fill a contract for X books, or meet an order for X shows for syndication.  

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on the subject with me. :) 

Admittedly, a lot of Robotech's licensee-created material comes off more than slightly fanfiction-y... and the McKinney novels definitely being the worst of that bad lot.  The one thing always struck me as odd, and the genesis of my question, was that nobody working on Robotech in any of its incarnations ever seems to have entertained the idea that there could be a non-dystopian future.  Luceno and Daley's idea for a conclusion was to have the heroes who'd sacrificed so much to liberate the people of the galaxy sent back into the distant past to become the original generation of evil aliens who enslaved the galaxy in the first place.  The few comics to try and go beyond the existing story depicted various flavors of Earth as a dystopian military dictatorship.  

For all its faults, Titan Comics was the only outfit to really attempt to do something different from the usual Robotech story.  Their short-lived Robotech series had some pretty awful writing, but it at least managed to set up and ending for itself that didn't involve one or more genocides.  Not that the Zentradi weren't trying, mind you.  I know a lot of Robotech's fans consider the plot beats and themes of the series to be a bit of a sacred cow, so I was naturally left to wonder if Remix's more optimistic take on the future was something fans received well or poorly (independently of the crap quality of the actual writing).  I myself can't really form an opinion because I really can't get past the absolutely terrible writing of Titan's comic.

 

46 minutes ago, jeniusornome said:

IMO the idea of “multiple realities” they presented was a nice way to ignore everything that came before and try to start fresh, but then they got bogged down in everything that came before anyways, so it didn’t really matter.

It was a nice way to dodge the problems inherent in doing a different take on Robotech that appeased fans by acknowledging the official setting of the animated series while also being its own thing.  Sadly, it deteriorated into fanservice fairly quickly... admittedly with the implicit critique of all previous iterations of the franchise as bad futures were humanity failed to break out of the time loop.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

rebuke

You are not in any position of authority of me. Choose your words more carefully.

 

7 hours ago, jeniusornome said:

you haven’t seen the anime “crest of the stars” and the follow up shows (banner of the stars, and I think battleflag of the stars) you might like it. It’s a late 90s show but I remember it being pretty good and having a lot of Sci fi military elements to it. 

Thanks I'll check it out.

 

7 hours ago, jeniusornome said:

I honestly don’t know how this conversation is still continuing, but if you guys could take the back and forth “I like things that glorify war” and “I do not” to private messages it would be great.

Its the old stubborn vs stubborn thread spiral. You get a lot of it on vs debate forums.

You are right and this thread should be closed,  the comic it was actually about is dead.

Edited by Podtastic
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Podtastic said:

You are right and this thread should be closed,  the comic it was actually about is dead.

No, it can't be! It is merely on hiatus due to the pandemic! I have to know what happens next time in Sad Dana and the 30-Foot Zombies!

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, JB0 said:

No, it can't be! It is merely on hiatus due to the pandemic! I have to know what happens next time in Sad Dana and the 30-Foot Zombies!

Well, there's a very remote possibility that you may be in luck there...

In a proud Robotech tradition, the publisher is unwilling to admit that this book has been cancelled.  They've claimed their failure to deliver the fifth issue is due to the Coronavirus shutdown, despite its missed delivery date being two months before the shutdown started, and are claiming that the issue is basically done.  It's not impossible that this'll be the first Robotech title to actually end up rescued from that old The Emperor's New Clothes-style denial game, since Titan is arguably Robotech's first competent publishing licensee.

Entertainingly, the publisher's website is down...

Edited by Seto Kaiba
Link to post
Share on other sites

I get this message when I try to access the publisher's site:

This site has been blocked by the network administrator.

Block reason: Gateway GEO-IP Filter Alert

Connection initiated from country: United States

-----------------------

But on Twitter....

It'z on zale guyz! :rofl:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hachi said:

This site has been blocked by the network administrator.

Block reason: Gateway GEO-IP Filter Alert

IP Filter?  So their own domain knows they're ripping off other Macross properties?  :o

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's some genuinely interesting debate going on here of late, particularly thanks to the participation of @jeniusornome.  The failures of Robotech will always be of relevance to Macross fans outside of Japan, so I see no reason not to let the discussion continue... whether or not the comic book in question will.  :p

Link to post
Share on other sites

The way I see it is that jeniusornome is the only one really debating, the other guy is trying to make excuses for the hole he dug for himself with the questionable things he has been posting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say lock it once Titan actually admits the comic is cancelled or the distributor puts up a status for it indicating cancellation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not even sure what we're debating, to be honest. I thought the new comic was fun, like... watching a bad sci-fi movie where the characters keep winking at the camera because they also know it is ridiculous.

Let's try this. Set aside all of your opinions about either series for a moment. Here's the pitch:

 

One of Max and Milia's future children pulls a back to the future and accidentally gets stuck in a 1985 where Biff runs the city from a Casino. She needs to get her parents together to make sure she still exists, find her missing uncle and his magic singing girlfriend and stop the alternate reality versions of her mother from killing everyone. Along the way she'll also make fun of all the things that didn't make sense before, tear apart established continuity and "canon", raise her step-siblings from her Dad's (mystery) wife and her own best friend, and oh BTW there are ZOMBIE ZENTRADIS.

 

It sounds absolutely ridiculous. Also hilarious, maybe hilariously bad, but if it's written well, it could be a lot of fun. That might actually be sustainable in another property (something Marvel, DC, whatever) with a larger built-in fanbase / larger mainstream appeal. "What if Superman grew up in the USSR? What if the radioactive spider bit Gwen Stacy instead of Peter Parker?" But Robotech is not mainstream (despite die hard fans belief otherwise) and so it was dismissed by the Robotech die-hard fans, derided by Macross fans, and completely ignored by everyone else.

Doing this to a property with a dwindling, insular fanbase, who generally don't like changes to the status quo, there was really no hope for it to make it far. I mean, even the "Robotech Wiki" says that the 2017 comic is following along more closely with "Carl Macek's original vision" and that's a big part of the problem - continued insistence that there was some big grand plan for this whole thing, like there's a big dusty tome with 365 episodes worth of Robotech plot fully written out in it somewhere. What's left of the fanbase takes that just so seriously that they don't want to see anything that deviates even slightly from it. The only "complete" telling of it that ever happened was the McKinney novels, which just... weren't very good in the first place.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jeniusornome said:

I'm not even sure what we're debating, to be honest. I thought the new comic was fun, like... watching a bad sci-fi movie where the characters keep winking at the camera because they also know it is ridiculous.

That... is a surprisingly apt analogy, esp. since Remix started to actively take the piss out of Robotech's official setting with borderline meta commentary near the end.

 

 

1 hour ago, jeniusornome said:

It sounds absolutely ridiculous. Also hilarious, maybe hilariously bad, but if it's written well, it could be a lot of fun. That might actually be sustainable in another property (something Marvel, DC, whatever) with a larger built-in fanbase / larger mainstream appeal. "What if Superman grew up in the USSR? What if the radioactive spider bit Gwen Stacy instead of Peter Parker?"

Given some of the more... questionable... creative decisions to come out of the comics industry that still somehow sold, I can definitely understand why Titan Publishing thought they could make such an oddball premise work.  It's no less strange than a lot of what goes on in special limited superhero comics, a surprising amount of which involves zombies in some form or another.

If they'd kept the "invaders from an alternate reality" shenanigans to a minimum after the end of their first Robotech limited series, I'd have honestly given them credit for coming up with an at-least mildly interesting and somewhat original take on the Robotech story.

 

 

1 hour ago, jeniusornome said:

But Robotech is not mainstream (despite die hard fans belief otherwise) and so it was dismissed by the Robotech die-hard fans, derided by Macross fans, and completely ignored by everyone else.

Well... almost everyone else.  The BattleTech/MechWarrior fans and Transformers fans would be right there with Macross fans in deriding it, for much the same reason.  HG's various, and occasionally justified, legal shenanigans haven't endeared them to either of those fandoms either.  (Fans of BattleTech and MechWarrior definitely live in hope that Robotech is going to go under soon, though that's admittedly in the false hope that that will clear them to resume using "the Unseen" when it will really only change who's suing them.)

 

 

1 hour ago, jeniusornome said:

Doing this to a property with a dwindling, insular fanbase, who generally don't like changes to the status quo, there was really no hope for it to make it far.

For a given value of "far", I'm actually inclined to disagree.

Titan's first Robotech comic series made it to the end of its planned run (24 issues) without readership dropping low enough for the publisher or distributor to consider dropping the series.  That's much farther than the average Robotech comic book usually gets, and ending on their own terms instead of being cancelled is definitely an unusual fate for Robotech's new developments in general.  Even if fans didn't necessarily like it, it was different enough to hold their attention and keep them buying.

Sales were slipping, but I think if they'd toned down the weirdness or at least picked a protagonist the fans weren't long-conditioned to loathe when they launched Remix they could've gone the distance... by which I mean, "finished the planned 24 issue story arc".

 

 

1 hour ago, jeniusornome said:

I mean, even the "Robotech Wiki" says that the 2017 comic is following along more closely with "Carl Macek's original vision" and that's a big part of the problem - continued insistence that there was some big grand plan for this whole thing, like there's a big dusty tome with 365 episodes worth of Robotech plot fully written out in it somewhere.

In all fairness, the current Robotech creative staff are building on a whopper Carl Macek told back in '86-87 in which he implied something very similar to that.

Specifically, Carl Macek frequently claimed to have drawn up detailed plans for future expansions of the Robotech TV series that would increase its length by hundreds of episodes.  He wasn't consistent on exactly how many when recounting this "fact" over the years, though.  He and others variously claimed that he had plans for enough episodes to make the series span every weekday in a calendar year (261, +176eps), a year and a half (390, +305eps), or that the final length of the series was to be 285 or 300 episodes.  His final take on that story prior to his death was in a 2007 interview, in which he claimed to have had plans for Robotech to be a 300 episode series in total.

That's a big part of where this "Macek's original vision" schtick is coming from.  There's no evidence that Macek ever conceived fo any kind of long-term plan for Robotech, but the fans believe he did because he spent so long saying he had despite the obvious inconsistencies in his account.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Specifically, Carl Macek frequently claimed to have drawn up detailed plans for future expansions of the Robotech TV series that would increase its length by hundreds of episodes.  He wasn't consistent on exactly how many when recounting this "fact" over the years, though.  He and others variously claimed that he had plans for enough episodes to make the series span every weekday in a calendar year (261, +176eps), a year and a half (390, +305eps), or that the final length of the series was to be 285 or 300 episodes.  His final take on that story prior to his death was in a 2007 interview, in which he claimed to have had plans for Robotech to be a 300 episode series in total.

That's a big part of where this "Macek's original vision" schtick is coming from.  There's no evidence that Macek ever conceived fo any kind of long-term plan for Robotech, but the fans believe he did because he spent so long saying he had despite the obvious inconsistencies in his account.

To be fair. Lucas pulls the same stunt with Star Wars.  He claims, sometime after SW came out, that he had plotted out the whole thing ahead of time.  In truth he had a bunch of notes and story ideas, most of which were dropped or whittled away to come up with a feature length movie.  Every film has tons of material that never made it to the screen and the Sequels and prequels (even Empire and Jedi) were nothing like what Lucas originally had planned.

I could come up with a 300+ series story arc and in a couple days and I'm not a writer.  All you need is to stuff in enough filler episode titles.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, the one hosted on Fandom. Imitation wikipedia.

Those things are usually pretty well maintained by die-hard fans of whatever property. Unsurprisingly the Robotech one hosted there is fairly empty. There's a lot of stuff "coming soon" or "to be added". I assume even the fans can't be bothered to update it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, jeniusornome said:

Ah, the one hosted on Fandom. Imitation wikipedia.

Those things are usually pretty well maintained by die-hard fans of whatever property. Unsurprisingly the Robotech one hosted there is fairly empty. There's a lot of stuff "coming soon" or "to be added". I assume even the fans can't be bothered to update it.

Oof, I know that one.  I bet a major contributor there is still pissed at the thread I started when Robotech Academy was promoted as the big tent pole project for the franchise.

Edited by Einherjar
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jeniusornome said:

Ah, the one hosted on Fandom. Imitation wikipedia.

Those things are usually pretty well maintained by die-hard fans of whatever property. Unsurprisingly the Robotech one hosted there is fairly empty. There's a lot of stuff "coming soon" or "to be added". I assume even the fans can't be bothered to update it.

Ah, yeah... pretty much the only Robotech fans who consider that site any kind of viable reference are the ones who edit it.  Nobody else uses it.

It's kind of a problematic site to use because it takes a "holistic" view of Robotech and has content from explicitly non-canon sources rubbing shoulders with official setting material in a lot of its articles.  It's a lot like Star Trek's Memory Beta in that regard, where the same article can describe a character dying six different ways because they've been killed differently in a bunch of different media... just without an actual community behind it the way Memory Beta has.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Word of the street is that this comic will be in hiatus until 2021.  To be honest though, I feel sorry for whoever works on this if it does come back.  Hopefully, the announcement was just code for Remix getting the Shadow Rising treatment.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing the announcement

Perhaps I don't deserve my avatar but it recently occurred to me that Dana Sterling in Remix is like Marty McFly as she is trying to orchestrate her own conception and then return to her own timeline.

Edited by Brofessor
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Einherjar said:

Word of the street is that this comic will be in hiatus until 2021.  To be honest though, I feel sorry for whoever works on this if it does come back.  Hopefully, the announcement was just code for Remix getting the Shadow Rising treatment.

Seems a safe bet... declaring that a project is "on hiatus" has been the Robotech franchise's favorite way to announce cancellations for over a decade now.

Still, what's the source?  Did Harmony Gold announce that, or Titan Publishing?  I know Diamond Comic Distributors has Robotech Remix remaining issues listed as cancelled these days.

 

Just now, Brofessor said:

Perhaps I don't deserve my avatar but it recently occurred to me that Dana Sterling in Remix is like Marty McFly trying to orchestrate her own conception and then return to her own timeline.

Then let us hope she fails miserably in that endeavor.

Robotech timeline bereft of both Dana and the collection of short bus seat-warmers that was the Army of the Southern Cross in the Robotech TV series is surely the Robotech franchise's best of all possible worlds.

Edited by Seto Kaiba
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Einherjar said:

Word of the street is that this comic will be in hiatus until 2021.  To be honest though, I feel sorry for whoever works on this if it does come back.  Hopefully, the announcement was just code for Remix getting the Shadow Rising treatment.

Where did you hear this? Not disputing it. I think they'll keep it on hiatus longer than 2021 though

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Then let us hope she fails miserably in that endeavor.

Robotech timeline bereft of both Dana and the collection of short bus seat-warmers that was the Army of the Southern Cross in the Robotech TV series is surely the Robotech franchise's best of all possible worlds.

They're determined to make sure Max and Miriya don't happen for some reason. They've really trashed Max from the get go.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Where did you hear this? Not disputing it. I think they'll keep it on hiatus longer than 2021 though

They had a virtual convention panel over the weekend.  A lot of the usual people involved have not aged well and not as smug as they were just over a year ago.

Edited by Einherjar
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

They're determined to make sure Max and Miriya don't happen for some reason. They've really trashed Max from the get go.

Oh, five'll get you twenty it's legal's doing.

Max and Milia are featured prominently in Macross's sequels and spinoffs, and Harmony Gold doesn't want to do anything that might draw the attention of Big West's layers ever since the whole Big West v. Tatsunoko dustup they inadvertently triggered.  That's why Robotech: Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles got rid of every remaining Macross Saga character apart from Rick Hunter by either killing them or putting them on a bus as preparation for the Shadow Chronicles movie.

 

31 minutes ago, Einherjar said:

They had a virtual convention panel over the weekend.

Ah, I'm sure that was embarrassing as per the usual Robotech convention experience.

Edited by Seto Kaiba
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Einherjar said:

Word of the street is that this comic will be in hiatus until 2021.

Sounds like code

 

1 hour ago, Einherjar said:

They had a virtual convention panel over the weekend.  A lot of the usual people involved have not aged well and not as smug as they were just over a year ago.

A muffle in the void..

 

1 hour ago, JohnMc said:

They're determined to make sure Max and Miriya don't happen for some reason. They've really trashed Max from the get go.

It's not even Robotech any more..

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • azrael locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...