Robotech and REMIX by Titan Comics

Old_Nash

I think it’s appropriate to restate what I said in the other HG thread, especially with the call backs to the novels taking center stage and the Macross portion of the story pretty much done at this point.

Are they really going to kill Minmay to literally save the franchise?

12 hours ago, Knight26 said:

But you're right, the way they handled even the notion of protoculture would ruin that possibility.  You could, possibly, rewrite the Masters as an offshoot of the OG Protoculture, but their whole insistence that Protoculture was a fuel source, nope that really doesn't sell, given that Macross has always said that the ships were powered by fusion reactors.

Even as a child, that aspect of Robotech never worked for me.  Protoculture was an ancient society that nobody had heard of, then it was suddenly an alien plant used in genetic engineering, and then it was suddenly a battery that powered your mecha.  And then Daley and Luceno made it the Force...?

Like, make up your minds, guys.  <_<

13 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

See, the insane troll logic engine in my head is just throwing out the thought that they're purposefully trashing the entirety of the Robotech continuity with a hard Time Crash that will erase everything back to the original SDF-1 crash and collapse into...

wait for it...

.. an official adaptation of the entire proper Macross universe. :rofl:

I honestly don't see any real reason why HG would actually want this... but could they have been writing in a continuity failsafe that would default to official Macross content in case the licensing ran out?  Or would they actually be crazy enough to hope that they'll have access to more official Macross content in the future, and leave an off-ramp on Macek's Wild Ride to allow a canon transition?

From a storyline point of view, I admit, it kind of cleans up the situation nicely... since you would be erasing the convoluted mess that Robotech has become over the years, while simultaneously declaring it to be the canon un-written history of the Macross universe.  

Would they actually be crazy enough to try and sell Robotech to the Macross fanbase as a time-erased prequel?

And yes, I'm aware, that doesn't fix any of the other massive story discrepancies (ie the Protoculture, Zentraedi, the Masters, etc), but nothing about this idea is really coherent anyway. :p 

In other words: a desperate, last minute "Hail Mary Pass" of sorts banking on ruining all the ruin that they ruined lo these 30 years.

15 hours ago, DewPoint said:

Robotech wasn't about a race of an ancient sentient alien plants called "Protoculture" that were being burned as fuel?

At that rate, HG should just give up all rights to Macross and call their new project....SALAD WARS  rofl

"May the Fork be with You..."

Edited by pengbuzz

On 8/22/2019 at 5:01 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

. "by the way, you Robotech fans wasted the last 30 years of your lives.  We're writing this garbage out once and for all."

That kind of thing is only a problem for slaves of canon.

Some of us take a more Borg-like view to sci-fi collection. 

2 hours ago, Podtastic said:

That kind of thing is only a problem for slaves of canon.

For a lot of Robotech fans, I gather it's seen more as the opposite of a problem... there ain't much love for the old comics or novels except among the really hardcore fans.

2 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Some of us take a more Borg-like view to sci-fi collection. 

Really, I thought the Borg had standards?

So I was, doing what I do, and out for a drive when I had a thought.  Could Robotech, aside from the original anthology of mecha series idea, have been done in such a way that it didn't insult the originals as badly?  And I came up with an answer, yes.

Ok, put away the torches and pitchforks and hear me out.
Thanks to the Macross sequel series, and even some SDF and DYRL lore, we know that other alien races do/did exist in the Macross universe, the Protoculture just had a habit of modifying or wiping them out.  Using that as a starting point I figured HG could have made SDC Southern Cross and GC Mospeada quasi sequels to Macross, without majorly rewriting the stories.

#1  Macross stays as written in Japan, maybe westernize the names like was their original intent:  Hikaru Ichijo become Rick Yamata and so forth.
#2  Put more emphasis on the colonization efforts at the end of Macross.
#3  SDCSC becomes exactly what it was originally, a startup colony on an abandoned, yet habitable world.  The OG inhabitants come back, possibly a protoculture offshoot race, and aside from that the story remains the same.  Also Dana would not be Komillia, but the green haired girl could be.
#4  GCM still takes place on Earth, but have a voice over that the UN Spacey was so busy creating colonies and sending out colony fleets that they left the devastated Earth largely undefended.  The Inbit come, the colonies strike back, Mospeada can be left alone.  And if they absolutely need a connection to the OG Macross, Make Stick Max's Nephew or a minor characters child.

Other series could also then be integrated assuming that remained a hit, which it likely would.  Megazone would take place somewhere between SDCSC and GCM.  You might be even be able to bring in series like Orguss, Dougram, Dorvack and maybe even Votoms, each taking place on another colony world.

Then when Big West started making sequels, HG could have gone to them, hat in hand, showing them what they did and ask permission to use the real Macross sequels.  How that would have effected the stories that came later, who can say, but it might have made the issues between BW and HG far less contentious and could have allowed proper releases of Macross series and merch in the US easier.

Anyway, just a random thought that came to me.

2 hours ago, Knight26 said:

#1  Macross stays as written in Japan, maybe westernize the names like was their original intent:  Hikaru Ichijo become Rick Yamata and so forth.
#3  SDCSC becomes exactly what it was originally, a startup colony on an abandoned, yet habitable world.  The OG inhabitants come back, possibly a protoculture offshoot race, and aside from that the story remains the same.  Also Dana would not be Komillia, but the green haired girl could be.
#4  GCM still takes place on Earth, but have a voice over that the UN Spacey was so busy creating colonies and sending out colony fleets that they left the devastated Earth largely undefended.  The Inbit come, the colonies strike back, Mospeada can be left alone.  And if they absolutely need a connection to the OG Macross, Make Stick Max's Nephew or a minor characters child.

I could see 1+2+3 being part of a series, essentially we have this already in the ongoing Macross continuity and I could see a different series combining 3+4 where a space fairing humanity encounter a humanoid species like the Zor only to then have to face the Zor's antagonist, an intelligent, insect like species which trace the humans that encounter the Zor back to Earth to deal with what they perceive as a threat.

The conceptual problem I see is in trying to link the full cycle, 1..4.  It would just seem overly stuffed with humanity facing so many antagonists in such a short timespan. One alien species is hard enough to take in and do justice to in one series if you really want good stories and aren't Star Trek.  Two alien species is pushing it. Three?  Nah that's just plot bloat.

I say keep them separate and crank up the quality and story telling on each.  I would like a retelling of Southern Cross since it has the least plot explained or wrapped up, but the Zor really need to be fleshed out more as antagonists.

10 hours ago, Knight26 said:

So I was, doing what I do, and out for a drive when I had a thought.  Could Robotech, aside from the original anthology of mecha series idea, have been done in such a way that it didn't insult the originals as badly?  And I came up with an answer, yes.

You came up with more or less the exact same answer that a thousand Robotech fans before you came up with when asked how they would have edited Robotech in accordance with more modern industry practices.

10 hours ago, Knight26 said:

No no no... this is when we get out our really good Sunday torches and pitchforks.  Not our "wear around town" torches and pitchforks, the ones for special occasions. :spiteful:

9 hours ago, Podtastic said:

This was precisely my point.

The Borg assimilated only relevant technology and biology, and ignored anything they deemed would not add anything of value to the collective. 

Which begs the question why you're energetically trying to assimilate the Kazon. 

I agree that it has issues and honestly treating them as three separate properties is still the best idea.  But, the question remains, had HG done something more like that, would BW have been more willing to work with them on releasing future projects?  Or would they still tell them to go stuff it for messing with their IP?

1 hour ago, Knight26 said:

I agree that it has issues and honestly treating them as three separate properties is still the best idea.  But, the question remains, had HG done something more like that, would BW have been more willing to work with them on releasing future projects?  Or would they still tell them to go stuff it for messing with their IP?

Really, I think the first brick in the wall between Big West and Harmony Gold was laid when Harmony Gold decided to strip all the original creators names out of the credits in favor of a blanket credit to Tatsunoko Production only.  Nothing says "douchebag" like taking an author's name off their work and claiming it as your own.  

Their best, most Big West-friendly way forward would've been to run Robotech as a Force Five-style anthology series, but (IIRC) Revell wasn't having any of it.

2 minutes ago, Einherjar said:

Rick and Max, you gonna punch that crab robot in the face or something?

Maybe they should... but only after spending fifteen minutes artfully posing, Jojo style.

14 hours ago, Knight26 said:

Thanks to the Macross sequel series, and even some SDF and DYRL lore, we know that other alien races do/did exist in the Macross universe, the Protoculture just had a habit of modifying or wiping them out.  Using that as a starting point I figured HG could have made SDC Southern Cross and GC Mospeada quasi sequels to Macross, without majorly rewriting the stories.

Other series could also then be integrated assuming that remained a hit, which it likely would.  Megazone would take place somewhere between SDCSC and GCM.  You might be even be able to bring in series like Orguss, Dougram, Dorvack and maybe even Votoms, each taking place on another colony world.

Then when Big West started making sequels, HG could have gone to them, hat in hand, showing them what they did and ask permission to use the real Macross sequels.  How that would have effected the stories that came later, who can say, but it might have made the issues between BW and HG far less contentious and could have allowed proper releases of Macross series and merch in the US easier.

Anyway, just a random thought that came to me.

This is shockingly similar to an idea I had.

38 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Really, I think the first brick in the wall between Big West and Harmony Gold was laid when Harmony Gold decided to strip all the original creators names out of the credits in favor of a blanket credit to Tatsunoko Production only.  Nothing says "douchebag" like taking an author's name off their work and claiming it as your own.  

Their best, most Big West-friendly way forward would've been to run Robotech as a Force Five-style anthology series, but (IIRC) Revell wasn't having any of it.

Revell and the Networks from the accounts I have read, with more of the pressure coming from the networks, which makes more sense.  Why would Revell care if it was an anthology series instead of one long story?  Their models came from numerous properties, and most didn't even feature in the three Robotech series.  Keeping it as an anthology series would have worked in their favor because that would have opened the door for Dorvack, Dougram and other series they had the models for getting air time.

5 hours ago, Knight26 said:

Revell and the Networks from the accounts I have read, with more of the pressure coming from the networks, which makes more sense.  Why would Revell care if it was an anthology series instead of one long story?  Their models came from numerous properties, and most didn't even feature in the three Robotech series.  Keeping it as an anthology series would have worked in their favor because that would have opened the door for Dorvack, Dougram and other series they had the models for getting air time.

Really, I suspect it was Revell.  Why would the networks object to an anthology?  Force Five was already a proven winner.

Revell needed to promote Macross so they could make some money on their failed Transformers knockoff, so the goal wasn't "get a series on the air" so much as "make the part that we already have the rights to long enough for syndication".  Harmony Gold didn't have a license to DorvackDougram, etc.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

so who is the succubus/devil supposed to be?  Are the reason why max and rick so buff is that they signed up to do a tour on the S&M world with succubus chick with the nice rack?  Oh and I just saw the belly button piercing.....isn't it a few decades early for this particular thing in the Robotech Universe timeline?

Twich

Before the Robotech universe/multiverse implodes or something from this reboot, I just want to say thank you Titan Comics for setting the stage for how this era of the franchise is going is going to work out - a whole bunch of imitation Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada characters desperately trying to go through the motions of their storylines under pretty ridiculous handicaps.