Robotech and REMIX by Titan Comics

Old_Nash

2 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

One last note: in RT, they took the SDF-1, rebuilt it with parts into the SDF-3 and sent that back into time to be rebuilt into the SDF-1. Has it occurred to anybody that should that be the new "timeline", the SDF-1 would repeatedly be sent back through time until the frame was too battered by going through the timeline and being sent back to hold, and the whole damned ship breaks apart on reentry into Earth's atmosphere? That ship is in an infinite loop, but it's not infinitely durable!!!

Well, that depends on how the timelines shake out... specifically, if the events of Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles recur in each instance of the history.

In DC/Wildstorm's Robotech: Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles, the SDF-3 is critically damaged by a surprise attack from the traitor General T.R. Edwards and has to be basically rebuilt from the keel up over the space of a year.  That was the explanation for why the SDF-3 in Shadow Chronicles looks nothing like the one in Robotech II: the Sentinels.  For the most part, it isn't even really the same ship.

1 hour ago, Brofessor said:

On another topic, I am sheepishly a fan of both the RT franchise and the Macross franchise and there really is no discussion of the Titan comic anywhere. Unless, I'm missing something this thread is the most active and intelligent discussion of the comic I can find. Is it happening on Facebook? In YouTube comments? Maybe 10,000 comics are sold and how many of those consumers want to converse about it? The absence of activity is a pretty big indictment of the franchise.

To be honest, this is the closest I've seen to an intelligent discussion of Titan's Robotech comics as well... most Robotech fans on Facebook are either cringing constantly over the comics, bitterly complaining about their Macross-centric story that dispensed with the other sagas entirely, or just pointing and laughing at how terrible the comics are.  The biggest, most active Robotech group I know of is firmly in that third category.  The comics are basically a joke.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

If your marriage can't survive against all odds for about 40 years, with a large chunk of it filling the void left by the main protagonist of the show you originated from, getting involved in multiple military campaigns across the galaxy with your partner, 7 biological and 1 adopted children, and a Dreamcast game, I don't think you deserve a last name like Sterling or Genius.

I think his only accomplishment so far is open the floodgates to a whole bunch of Macross 7 jokes at Robotech's expense.  It's karma for all the years fans spent ridiculing that series.  Now they're just ironic.

Edited by Einherjar

• 2 weeks later...

Spoiler Alert for Robotech Remix Issue 4 February 2020

Spoiler

1. As Rick 481 chokes Dana he has a flashback which shows Bowie holding a smoking Mospeada gallant H-90 presiding over a lot of dead bodies including Lisa’s. Dana seems to be aware of this event and flashback Dana is confused while remix timeline Dana attempts to explain and deny Rick 481’s mistaken impression. Jack Baker aims a staple gun at Rick 481 which bears some comedic symmetry with the gallant H-90.

2. Aurora Sterling knows intuitively this is not remix timeline Rick. She states he is “other.”

3. Dana refers to the pollinator on Aurora’s shoulder as a cha cha which may be the name originated in the Robotech novels.

4. Arminus Blanc returns to his ship and finds the Zombie Zentreadi wandering around. His superior technology is unable to identify the lifeforms.

5. Max and Miriya arrive separately at the Baker home. Miriya calls Max a hajoca.

6. Nova and Aurora greet their dad and seem to have a very close relationship with Miriya.

7. Aahna and Lisa share a shuttle from the SDF-3 to Earth. Aahna seems interested in news about Rick almost as if she is Minmei or a spy for Minmei. The name Aahna means inner light and immortal one among other definitions. The shuttle is attacked by the Zombie Zentreadi and Lisa suggests Max utilize a “concert defense” using Aahna’s music.

8. Aahna’s music is in English as well as some type of elvish alphabet like tengwar. The concert defense seems to consist of drones projecting holograms of Aahna.

9. The Zombie Zentreadi have Invid Plasma canons mounted on their shoulders.

10. Arminius Blanc uses his modified bioroid mecha to clear the timeline of the Zombie Zentreadi.

11. Rick is seen meeting Roy, Claudia, and their child on a sailboat.

Edited by Brofessor
punctuation

12 hours ago, Brofessor said:

12 hours ago, Brofessor said:

Spoiler Alert for Robotech Remix Issue 4 February 2020

Hide contents

1. As Rick 481 chokes Dana he has a flashback which shows Bowie holding a smoking Mospeada gallant H-90 presiding over a lot of dead bodies including Lisa’s. Dana seems to be aware of this event and flashback Dana is confused while remix timeline Dana attempts to explain and deny Rick 481’s mistaken impression. Jack Baker aims a staple gun at Rick 481 which bears some comedic symmetry with the gallant H-90.

2. Aurora Sterling knows intuitively this is not remix timeline Rick She states he is “other.”

3. Dana refers to the pollinator on Aurora’s shoulder as a cha cha which may be the name originated in the Robotech novels.

4. Arminus Blanc returns to his ship and finds the Zombie Zentreadi wandering around. His superior technology is unable to identify the lifeforms.

5. Max and Miriya arrive separately at the Baker home. Miriya calls Max a hajoca.

6. Nova and Aurora greet their dad and seem to have a very close relationship with Miriya.

7. Aahna and Lisa share a shuttle from the SDF-3 to Earth. Aahna seems interested in news about Rick almost as if she is Minmei or a spy for Minmei. The name Aahna means inner light and immortal one among other definitions. The shuttle is attacked by the Zombie Zentreadi and Lisa suggests Max utilize a “concert defense” using Aahna’s music.

8. Aahna’s music is in English as well as some type of elvish alphabet like tengwar. The concert defense seems to consist of drones projecting holograms of Aahna.

9. The Zombie Zentreadi have Invid Plasma canons mounted on their shoulders.

10. Arminius Blanc uses his modified bioroid mecha to clear the timeline of the Zombie Zentreadi.

11. Rick is seen meeting Roy, Claudia, and their child on a sailboat.

Roy and Claudia's happy ending is the only good thing that's come out of this series.

Hajoca is meant to mean Coward or weak.  More proof that they made Max and Miriya's relationship so toxic that there's no believable way that they can get together now.

So now they're using the virus as excuse for why 5 isn't out yet. Despite it supposed to be out before the virus and subsequent shut down happened. 

Edited by JohnMc

tumblr_mz181ybnW31s40tcxo1_500.png

I have a feeling that this is supposed to be the payoff for whatever is going on with Max and Milia.  Unfortunately, like whatever happened to Minmay (if she isn't dead) the series is still many, many issues, years, and staff rotations away from that even without a global pandemic.

1 hour ago, Einherjar said:

tumblr_mz181ybnW31s40tcxo1_500.png

I have a feeling that this is supposed to be the payoff for whatever is going on with Max and Milia.  Unfortunately, like whatever happened to Minmay (if she isn't dead) the series is still many, many issues, years, and staff rotations away from that even without a global pandemic.

They've made the pairing so toxic that it wouldn't be believable to have them together now.  This is why I'm expecting a relaunch with a time skip where they're magically together.  I already wrote to Titan I still won't buy their comic if they pull that. I told them that they screwed over Max and his relationship with Miriya on panel so they can things on panel.

12 minutes ago, Einherjar said:

What actually caused their relationship to break down?

They never even got together in this series. They've crapped on Max every step of the way. They had Rick interfere in Max's famous fight with Miriya and have Rick be the one to drive Miriya off the SDF-1 [Because that piece of crap desperately needed more feats that they had to take one of Max's few away to give to him] Had Dana interfere when they did have a hand to hand fight so Max was robbed of another win. They've just crapped on Max and this relationship in general.

1 hour ago, Einherjar said:

Sounds like just another uniquely Robotech problem that someone will be forced to resolve (or not).

Well this thread is about the Robotech comic. Its not a Robotech problem over all since eventually the license will change hands again the next group will most likely ignore this garbage. 

40 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Well this thread is about the Robotech comic. Its not a Robotech problem over all since eventually the license will change hands again the next group will most likely ignore this garbage. 

Are you serious?  Over the course of this venture they really upped the stakes to the point where I don’t think they had a plan B in the near future if this didn’t work out.  Also, 2021.

I agree with JohnMc.

While re-imagining and remixing the series is fun, without a masterful overarching vision, the basis and underpinnings of the series begin to fall apart. J. Switzer has recently observed by making Minmei and Lisa so assertive in their Titan incarnations, the contrast between the two is lost. This muddles and diminishes Rick's romantic tension between these two love interests. Originally, Minmei and Lisa were illuminated against the backdrop of the other.

In 1982 the plot tension was generated by the dynamics between these character archetypes. As JohnMc observes, this contrast is now lost between Rick and Max. It is doubtful the Titan creative team foresaw these repercussions. Minmei and Max were the alpha female and alpha male of the original series. Max was the Anti-Rick and Minmei and was the Anti-Lisa. In Titan their character arcs and opportunities for growth have been squandered.

I would love for Titan to prove me wrong with reinvented plots and alternative plot conflicts, but it seems they will never get the chance to publish their intended material.

I do see some potential for Titan's Max and Miriya in an opposites attract and growing sexual tension plot line. But again, in support of JohnMc, Max seems stubborn and whiny in Issue 4. Miriya seems mentally and emotionally dominant. Also, she is illogically very maternal even though she has not fallen in love nor had children. In Issue 4 Miriya reminds Max they do have children in another space and time which seems to make her more wise and reasonable.

7 hours ago, JohnMc said:

So now they're using the virus as excuse for why 5 isn't out yet. Despite it supposed to be out before the virus and subsequent shut down happened. 

Have they actually commented publicly?  I haven't seen anything from them about Robotech at all this month.

22 minutes ago, Brofessor said:

I agree with JohnMc.

While re-imagining and remixing the series is fun, without a masterful overarching vision, the basis and underpinnings of the series begin to fall apart. J. Switzer has recently observed by making Minmei and Lisa so assertive in their Titan incarnations, the contrast between the two is lost. This muddles and diminishes Rick's romantic tension between these two love interests. Originally, Minmei and Lisa were illuminated against the backdrop of the other.

In 1982 the plot tension was generated by the dynamics between these character archetypes. As JohnMc observes, this contrast is now lost between Rick and Max. It is doubtful the Titan creative team foresaw these repercussions. Minmei and Max were the alpha female and alpha male of the original series. Max was the Anti-Rick and Minmei and was the Anti-Lisa. In Titan their character arcs and opportunities for growth have been squandered.

I would love for Titan to prove me wrong with reinvented plots and alternative plot conflicts, but it seems they will never get the chance to publish their intended material.

I do see some potential for Titan's Max and Miriya in an opposites attract and growing sexual tension plot line. But again, in support of JohnMc, Max seems stubborn and whiny in Issue 4. Miriya seems mentally and emotionally dominant. Also, she is illogically very maternal even though she has not fallen in love nor had children. In Issue 4 Miriya reminds Max they do have children in another space and time which seems to make her more wise and reasonable.

Thanks Brofessor. Reimagings can be interesting, but there needs to be a plan for what your changing what ramifications those changes will cause. Titan clearly didn't think of that. They clearly wrote themselves into a corner and don't know how to get themselves out of it.  Which is why I wouldn't be surprised if a relaunch happens once things return to normal.

10 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Have they actually commented publicly?  I haven't seen anything from them about Robotech at all this month.

They posted it on their Facebook page as a response to a question on where it is. They claimed the virus and shutdown being the reason, but 5 was meant to be out before the shutdown occurred.

After 35 years, how about having the courage to move past episode 85 (or 36) of this supposed multi generational epic series?  Because the powers that be have literally lead you in circles for most of that time with multiple reinterpretations of the same story, this included.

14 minutes ago, Einherjar said:

After 35 years, how about having the courage to move past episode 85 (or 36) of this supposed multi generational epic series?  Because the powers that be have literally lead you in circles for most of that time with multiple reinterpretations of the same story, this included.

I have. I would like to see a decent story from them once in a while. 

51 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

They posted it on their Facebook page as a response to a question on where it is. They claimed the virus and shutdown being the reason, but 5 was meant to be out before the shutdown occurred.

Ah, so they're taking the half-truth route... blaming the inability to release the issue now on the COVID-19 shutdown as a way to avoid discussing why it was delayed beforehand.  That way they aren't technically lying and they look like they've answered the question even though they actually haven't.

27 minutes ago, Einherjar said:

Oh, that's an easy one... both times Harmony Gold has tried to move the Robotech story past the end of the "original" animated series, the fans crucified them for it.

Robotech 3000 was a catastrophic failure that the fans hated so much the series was cancelled after just one screening of the teaser trailer... and then cancelled again when Carl Macek unwisely attempted to revive the project as a traditionally-animated series.

Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles was also a catastrophic failure that the fans hated so much, and failed so completely at its stated goal of introducing new fans to the franchise, that its failure not only got the OVA cancelled after only one episode... it also got all development of new animated Robotech works defunded.

Nobody wants to try it because Harmony Gold's three failures have proved it's a high-risk no-reward scenario.

On 4/16/2020 at 5:05 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Ah, so they're taking the half-truth route... blaming the inability to release the issue now on the COVID-19 shutdown as a way to avoid discussing why it was delayed beforehand.  That way they aren't technically lying and they look like they've answered the question even though they actually haven't.

Oh, that's an easy one... both times Harmony Gold has tried to move the Robotech story past the end of the "original" animated series, the fans crucified them for it.

Robotech 3000 was a catastrophic failure that the fans hated so much the series was cancelled after just one screening of the teaser trailer... and then cancelled again when Carl Macek unwisely attempted to revive the project as a traditionally-animated series.

Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles was also a catastrophic failure that the fans hated so much, and failed so completely at its stated goal of introducing new fans to the franchise, that its failure not only got the OVA cancelled after only one episode... it also got all development of new animated Robotech works defunded.

Nobody wants to try it because Harmony Gold's three failures have proved it's a high-risk no-reward scenario.

Sounds like a good part of the issue is the fans wanting the original story over...and over...and over... and over... ad nauseum...

(The rest is HG being both cheap and incompetent)

5 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Sounds like a good part of the issue is the fans wanting the original story over...and over...and over... and over... ad nauseum...

Sort of?

Robotech's fans are paradoxical creatures at best.  Their attachment to, or perhaps its would be more accurate to say "obsession with", the early 80's storytelling and art style of the three original anime series that were adapted into Robotech is completely and utterly at odds with their vocal disdain for anime and "anime-ness".  They don't want Robotech to be anime, but they also don't want Robotech to ever do anything that would distance it from the 80's anime that makes it up.  The "original" Robotech series has become the metaphorical sacred cow to its fans, something the franchise's owners can't mess with without infuriating the fans but also can't slavishly follow without being blasted for a lack of original thought.  Robotech is not allowed to be anime, but it's not allowed to not be 80's anime either... so it stagnates by endlessly revisiting what can only generously be called its "glory days" with rehashes of its "original" series.

5 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

(The rest is HG being both cheap and incompetent)

The only Hell is the one you make for yourself... and Robotech is forever trapped in a Hell created by all of the lies Carl Macek told about its origins over the years.

Carl Macek unwittingly set Robotech up to fail in the long term by spending so much time and effort telling anyone who would listen that Robotech was entirely HIS creation and nobody else's.  He, and through him Harmony Gold, took credit for the writing of Sukehiro Tomita and Ken'ichi Matsuzaki, the character designs of Haruhiko Mikimoto and Yoshitaka Amano, the mechanical design works of Studio Nue and Studio Artmic, and all the rest.  It gave fans completely the wrong idea about who was actually responsible for Robotech's quality... the many Japanese creators of the original shows.  

Even if Robotech's fans now understand that Robotech's quality is the borrowed gloss of the original shows, they've long since internalized Carl Macek's lies about having been the one responsible for everything they love about the series.  Harmony Gold doesn't, and never had, the talent pool or the funding to create something anywhere close to the level of the SDF Macross series.  All those years of hearing Carl Macek brag about Robotech being entirely his work have made the fans believe, at least on an emotional level, that they ARE capable of that level of quality.  That makes every sh*t-awful effort to continue the Robotech story almost as disappointing for fans as it is embarrassing for us to watch from afar.

Harmony Gold is cheap about Robotech because Robotech was never really commercially successful.  It just BARELY justified the minimum effort necessary to make a movie and to try making a second season when it was new, and only then on a shoestring budget.  But, of course, Harmony Gold's manic self-promotion is self-sabotaging.  They tell their fans (and anyone who'll give them the time of day) that Robotech was a huge phenomenon that shook the industry to its foundation and created the modern anime industry in the US... and not the truth that it was an at-best middle-of-the-pack ratings performer with an unsuccessful toy line that was almost completely forgotten within five years of its debut.  The fans rail against its perceived cheapness and the perceived incompetence of its "creators" now because they've spent decades living with a completely unrealistic idea of what Harmony Gold was capable of.  It's unmistakably cheap and amateurish, but for the resources and talent pool Harmony Gold actually has they're not doing that bad a job.  They're performing at a level you'd expect them to if you had a realistic view of their capabilities and the franchise's history.  Fans don't, so they rail against the cheapness and incompetence they see in comparing Harmony Gold's actual work to the material borrowed from some of the anime industry's biggest names.

9 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Sort of?

Robotech's fans are paradoxical creatures at best.  Their attachment to, or perhaps its would be more accurate to say "obsession with", the early 80's storytelling and art style of the three original anime series that were adapted into Robotech is completely and utterly at odds with their vocal disdain for anime and "anime-ness".  They don't want Robotech to be anime, but they also don't want Robotech to ever do anything that would distance it from the 80's anime that makes it up.  The "original" Robotech series has become the metaphorical sacred cow to its fans, something the franchise's owners can't mess with without infuriating the fans but also can't slavishly follow without being blasted for a lack of original thought.  Robotech is not allowed to be anime, but it's not allowed to not be 80's anime either... so it stagnates by endlessly revisiting what can only generously be called its "glory days" with rehashes of its "original" series.

That was my point: they want more of the original story rather than what Macek tried with the Sentinels (even though it ended). Most of the fans are just plain nuts though, and from what I've seen, living in a fantasy world of a fantasy world that never existed.

9 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The only Hell is the one you make for yourself... and Robotech is forever trapped in a Hell created by all of the lies Carl Macek told about its origins over the years.

Carl Macek unwittingly set Robotech up to fail in the long term by spending so much time and effort telling anyone who would listen that Robotech was entirely HIS creation and nobody else's.  He, and through him Harmony Gold, took credit for the writing of Sukehiro Tomita and Ken'ichi Matsuzaki, the character designs of Haruhiko Mikimoto and Yoshitaka Amano, the mechanical design works of Studio Nue and Studio Artmic, and all the rest.  It gave fans completely the wrong idea about who was actually responsible for Robotech's quality... the many Japanese creators of the original shows.  

Even if Robotech's fans now understand that Robotech's quality is the borrowed gloss of the original shows, they've long since internalized Carl Macek's lies about having been the one responsible for everything they love about the series.  Harmony Gold doesn't, and never had, the talent pool or the funding to create something anywhere close to the level of the SDF Macross series.  All those years of hearing Carl Macek brag about Robotech being entirely his work have made the fans believe, at least on an emotional level, that they ARE capable of that level of quality.  That makes every sh*t-awful effort to continue the Robotech story almost as disappointing for fans as it is embarrassing for us to watch from afar.

Harmony Gold is cheap about Robotech because Robotech was never really commercially successful.  It just BARELY justified the minimum effort necessary to make a movie and to try making a second season when it was new, and only then on a shoestring budget.  But, of course, Harmony Gold's manic self-promotion is self-sabotaging.  They tell their fans (and anyone who'll give them the time of day) that Robotech was a huge phenomenon that shook the industry to its foundation and created the modern anime industry in the US... and not the truth that it was an at-best middle-of-the-pack ratings performer with an unsuccessful toy line that was almost completely forgotten within five years of its debut.  The fans rail against its perceived cheapness and the perceived incompetence of its "creators" now because they've spent decades living with a completely unrealistic idea of what Harmony Gold was capable of.  It's unmistakably cheap and amateurish, but for the resources and talent pool Harmony Gold actually has they're not doing that bad a job.  They're performing at a level you'd expect them to if you had a realistic view of their capabilities and the franchise's history.  Fans don't, so they rail against the cheapness and incompetence they see in comparing Harmony Gold's actual work to the material borrowed from some of the anime industry's biggest names.

Very true: HG could never come up with anything close to the original animation from SDFM. But I consider cheapness not just being unwilling to spend money, but in lacking integrity and resorting to taking shortcuts as well (as you mentioned previously: quality is expensive). Macek was extremely cheap in taking credit for what was not his to begin with, and I thinkt that had someone other than HG gotten Macross (the other two I could care less about), they might have handled it a bit better. But we'll never know.

In hindsight: the only thing HG is good at is the BS department.

On a side note: when I found out sometime later that not only was Macross orignally a separate entity, but actually had more material, sequels, stories and a brighter future timeline than RT,  that's when I made the jump to Macross and never looked back.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello. Another long strange journey of Robotech has come to a premature termination. It seems like Robotech Remix has failed in the commercial market and has ended with Issue 4. It looks like Robotech Remix was cancelled. It seems retailers purchased less than 5000 copies of Issue 4 and it is unknown how many of those 5000 were actually purchased by customers. If Remix is ever resurrected, it would probably be a reboot and be numbered as Issue 1 to increase sales. I suspect the title would be The Return and Rehash of Robotech Remix as a Resurrected Reboot. Remix began in November of 2019. Issue 5 was supposed to be issued in March of 2020.

I just wanted to say thank you to the Macross Forums and all the users posting here. I learned a lot reading all your posts on this topic. It was very insightful and helpful. Thank you for tolerating the discussion. As a fan of both Robotech and Macross, it was great to see things from a Macross point of view. After all the years since 1982 and 1985 I am hopeful the fans of the two franchises will continue to communicate with respect and civility. I hope this understanding continues to manifest and grow stronger.

I am taking it upon myself to write Issue 5 as the finale. Here are random guesses and wild speculation about the unfinished story arc of Robotech Remix. Of course, as soon as I post this, Issue 5 will be published, and I will look totally foolish. However, this is the best I can do based on 4 issues of Remix.

Spoiler Alert for Robotech Remix Issue 5 which is not published at the time of this writing.

Spoiler

1. In the remix timeline it seems as if Persy Satori and Max are married or at least have children. Max and Miriya have a contentious relationship. Maybe in future issues Persy was going to die a hero’s self-sacrificing maternal death. This would leave Max a widower, heartbroken, and romantically vulnerable. Remix timeline Miriya could come sweeping in and nurture our boy back to alpha male status. Nova and Aurora Sterling already seem to have a special fondness for Miriya so she would be their stepmom. A reconciliation between Max and Miriya would lead to the conception of fetus Dana. A likely heartwarming final panel of the final issue would be Dana waving goodbye to Max, Aurora, Nova, and a pregnant Miriya as Dana climbs into some kind of trans-dimensional spacecraft and heads back to her original timeline. Of course Dana would probably speak to fetus Dana inside Miriya’s uterus as she feels the baby kick. On a side note, in Episode 50 of the tv series there was an error in adaptation from the Japanese scripts and Dana says she left behind her younger brother. I suppose Nova could now be fetus Dana’s older brother. This almost resolves and retcons a loose plot thread at least for this splinter timeline. Nova Satori would still be an unrelated female character in the original timeline. Aurora is secondary canon from the novels. Maia Sterling is official canon. Remix canon is now… canon remixed.

2. Lancer was seen in the backup series of Titan’s Robotech Issue 24. He would likely make an appearance in Remix. He was downloading files from the SDF-1 and seems to know Minmei is alive. Minmei may be dead and buried in Remix but perhaps she would appear from a splinter timeline of the protoverse. Lancer may also be from a splinter timeline as he would be young Lancer if placed prior to the arrival of the Masters.

3. Maybe the stalled Robotech Academy plot would be twisted into a music academy and Bowie and Cameron Baker would make music using some technology from Louie and perhaps mystical singing from Nova and Aurora. Remix may even pay homage to the Lancer’s Rockers RPG book if Louie were to weaponize music and protoculture. Perhaps these kids would form a band and at some climax would be assisted by collaborators and special guest stars Minmei, Aahna, and Lancer to defeat some villain using music. I believe the Robotech Academy was going to feature the Children of Zor as villains which were Robotech Masters worshipping Zor and protoculture. Perhaps this villain would appear.

4. Maybe Aahna is an Invid simulagent and would eventually turn on the Regis similar to Ariel and Sera. Aahna keeps showing up as a fun loving character in the backup stories of these issues so she is likely not a villain but she was portrayed as very suspicious in Remix Issue 4. Or maybe Minmei is a Sith Lord and Aahna is her Sith apprentice.

5. I suspect it is intended Bowie from Dana’s original timeline gave her the Macross DYRL song “Do You Remember Love (Ai, Oboete Imasu ka)” in her hologram locket and remix Bowie and Cameron Baker are now under its spell in the remix timeline. This song would defeat the villain in Robotech Remix timeline just like it did in Macross DYRL.

6. I suppose there is no REF as Dana has warned the characters of the remix timeline the Masters are headed to Earth. The villains of Remix could be the Masters, the Invid, the Haydonites, the Children of Zor, or transdimensional protoverse villains with mashups of all villains. Zombie Zentreadi were shown with Invid plasma cannons. Also, Lazlo Zand went missing at the end of Titan’s Robotech comic.

7. I assume these comics roughly follow the novels, and in Dana’s original timeline Johnathon Carpenter left Tirol to arrive at Earth prior to the Invid and the third Robotech war. Dana took his ship back to Tirol which is how Admiral Hunter put Dana in stasis and sent her and the SDF-3 back in time to Earth beginning the Remix splinter timeline of the Titan comic. If we are following the novels I believe The End of the Circle had Minmei pregnant by Rem with Zor in a certain sense. Arminius Blanc may be Minmei’s son. I doubt this as the name Arminius implies a kind of double agent unless he has turned away from his mother, and in the end he will switch sides and re-align with his mother as a heartwarming climax. But in a certain sense Zor and all his clones, including Arminius Blanc, are Minmei’s sons according to the novels.

8. Of course Roy is alive and has a child so they could always come sweeping in to save the day. Claudia and her family may form their own band called Fokker’s Rokkers. I believe a clone of Captain Gloval from Titan’s Robotech comic is still alive so this clone and Claudia could join Lisa on the bridge for some sort of triumphant climax.

9. Maybe this comic would even jump past Shadow Chronicles and tie in some of the plot elements for Shadow Rising.

10. Jonathon Wolfe could be around and possibly be age appropriate for Remix Dana in this splinter timeline. The same goes for George Sullivan. However, Dana had daddy issues and seemed to like older men.

11. Perhaps the sentinels could arrive at Earth.

12. Maybe Sherwin Parkes would have some role in Remix. He appeared in Issue 8 of Titan’s Robotech and is still present in Remix. It seems odd he was named and inserted onto the bridge. He may just be a token minority. He was nicknamed “Sparks” and given a panel on the Cast and Characters page of Titan’s Robotech comic.

13. If I recall correctly many characters are still alive in Remix. These characters are Khyron, Azonia, Grel, Vanessa, Kim, Rico, Konda, Bron, etc.

14. For the ultimate Remix and with enough lawyers and contracts they could bring in Voltron as well as combine Macross franchise series into this Robotech timeline. Maybe even Orguss.

Well, keep in touch. If anyone is interested in writing a “Macross for Dummies” or an “Idiot’s Guide to Macross” focusing on Episodes 1 to 36 please contact me. This post of wild predictions (fan fiction?) will have to tide us over until the next Robotech storyline. In the meantime we can explore the Macross franchise. ;) Again, thank you to the Macross Forum and all the contributors posting here. It is very much appreciated.

5 minutes ago, Brofessor said:

Hello. Another long strange journey of Robotech has come to a premature termination. It seems like Robotech Remix has failed in the commercial market and has ended with Issue 4. It looks like Robotech Remix was cancelled. It seems retailers purchased less than 5000 copies of Issue 4 and it is unknown how many of those 5000 were actually purchased by customers. [...]

Do you have a source that actually gives an official sales figure?  Or are you just using Comichron's approximation based on the Diamond Comic Distributors index ranking?

I know in the latter case, the projected sales based on the index value was less than 4,500 total copies sold. (4,486)

Thus far, there has not been an announcement from the distributor that the series is cancelled by the publisher.  Titan Comics has not, AFAIK, made any statements of any kind as to the status of Robotech Remix.  We may learn more from Diamond's cancellations list once they officially resume operations on 20 May.

The only news I've received WRT the status of the publication is that Brendan Fletcher came down ill in late March and was bedridden until mid-April.  Some Robotech fans who didn't work out the dates attempted to point to this as the reason for the delays, though the comic was already 47 days and two monthly deadlines late when he came down sick on March 24th (based on his own statements).

[...] Remix began in November of 2019. Issue 5 was supposed to be issued in March of 2020.

Correction: Remix began on 16 October 2019, and Issue 5 was supposed to be released on 6 February 2020. 

When Remix #5 missed its 6 February release date, it was rescheduled to be released on 11 March before missing that date too and then falling off the radar altogether shortly before the UK went to stay-at-home orders on 23 March.  It was 45 days overdue when Titan Comics temporarily suspended operations in accordance with the stay-at-home order.

I just wanted to say thank you to the Macross Forums and all the users posting here. I learned a lot reading all your posts on this topic. It was very insightful and helpful. Thank you for tolerating the discussion. As a fan of both Robotech and Macross, it was great to see things from a Macross point of view. After all the years since 1982 and 1985 I am hopeful the fans of the two franchises will continue to communicate with respect and civility. I hope this understanding continues to manifest and grow stronger.

As I see it, the problem will eventually resolve itself.

Robotech is a functionally-dead property, and Macross is thriving.  Eventually, we will simply run out of Robotech fans due to simple attrition.

The only Spoiler Alert we should be getting anymore at this point is that the Stars were aligned, the Radio Active sandwich fell into the lightning bolt & an actual competent crew of writers took over and this project just became the greatest Comic book & story of all time. 

Now that would be a Spoiler Alert!! :lol:

36 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

The only Spoiler Alert we should be getting anymore at this point is that the Stars were aligned, the Radio Active sandwich fell into the lightning bolt & an actual competent crew of writers took over and this project just became the greatest Comic book & story of all time. 

That wouldn't be a spoiler... that'd be a warning sign that someone divided by zero and reality is starting to unravel.

6 minutes ago, Einherjar said:

... 22 July 2014 must've been a slow news day on io9.  Their list is just a list of every failed/cancelled Robotech project except Robotech: the Untold Story, plus one that never even existed outside of Carl Macek's fevered delusions of Robotech being relevant and popular. :lol:

Given that even Robotech fans don't seem to actually like Titan's take on the series, and that it's officially an AU, I think it'd probably fail to make the cut.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Do you have a source that actually gives an official sales figure?  Or are you just using Comichron's approximation based on the Diamond Comic Distributors index ranking?

Hi. Thanks for all your corrections. My Remix sales figures are unofficial. I got them from a fan's YouTube video.

A podcaster and blogger at RT dot com with relationships with the creators of Remix feels Remix is not cancelled.

On 4/16/2020 at 9:17 PM, Einherjar said:

I get that the Macross Saga is the most popular, but they need to do something to move on. Or atleast move forward and not keep rehashing the events of the Macross Saga. World Events have the same problem with Voltron. They stuck with the Lions and now they're also fighting to stay relevant.