Robotech and REMIX by Titan Comics

Old_Nash

19 hours ago, JohnMc said:

Given that the comic book industry in general seems to be circling the drain

Again?? Damn.

Just when there's some Kree-Skrull (and hopefully Shi'ar) action on the way, a Deja Thoris series and a Red Sonja and Purgatori crossover. :(

3 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Again?? Damn.

Just when there's some Kree-Skrull (and hopefully Shi'ar) action on the way, a Deja Thoris series and a Red Sonja and Purgatori crossover. :(

Its been bad for the last few years since Marvel and DC have been putting out crap [DC is putting out a Twilight style series with teenage Catwoman, Batman and Pre-Joker Jack Napier. And they're a love triangle] 

https://ew.com/books/gotham-high-first-look-melissa-de-la-cruz-thomas-pitilli-exclusive/

Edited by JohnMc
added link

4 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Again?? Damn.

Really, it's not surprising... despite the popularity of comic book movies (well, the Marvel ones anyway) the comic book industry has been headed for another crash for a long time now and I've been inclined to suspect this'll be the one they don't recover from.  The mainstream industry as a whole is so innovation-averse it'd astonishing they've lasted this long.  Going digital-first might help them stay afloat a little longer, but they haven't really had anything fresh since the 90's.  Superheroes are played out and "indie" comics really can't fill the gap.

12 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

mainstream industry as a whole is so innovation-averse it'd astonishing they've lasted this long. 

I thought they were losing sales due to constantly trying to push an extreme leftist (get woke go broke) agenda that most fans (like me) are 100% against.

Ah well,  at least I'll always have Operation Galactic Storm and War of Kings.

35 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Really, it's not surprising... despite the popularity of comic book movies (well, the Marvel ones anyway) the comic book industry has been headed for another crash for a long time now and I've been inclined to suspect this'll be the one they don't recover from.  The mainstream industry as a whole is so innovation-averse it'd astonishing they've lasted this long.  Going digital-first might help them stay afloat a little longer, but they haven't really had anything fresh since the 90's.  Superheroes are played out and "indie" comics really can't fill the gap.

The entire entertainment industry is innovation-adverse, and it's going to take a major crash for them to realize that a lack of innovation is fatal. Frankly, they need to crash and burn hard in order to see what happens when they try to "capture lightning in a bottle again" by repeating tired old formulae.

42 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The Marvel movies have been a blessing and a curse. My old comic shop dealer said back when the Tobey McGuire Spider-Man and the original X-Men series was out that the general public is interested enough to watch these movies, but they're not leaving the theaters and going right to their nearest comic shop to pick books about the characters they just watched on the screen.

Plus the workers at Marvel have gotten very arrogant and think because the movies make so much money that they now put whatever garbage they like with zero effort and be complete jackasses to people who complain. 

39 minutes ago, Podtastic said:

I thought they were losing sales due to constantly trying to push an extreme leftist (get woke go broke) agenda that most fans (like me) are 100% against.

Granted, that's absolutely and demonstrably not helping matters... but mainstream comics have been in trouble for a long time now thanks to risk-averse creative management that stagnated every brand they have.  They repeat the same tired stories and plot beats over and over again, resort to crossover events when sales slip past a certain point, and when a crossover can't arrest the slide they reboot and repeat the same mistakes all over again.  No character ever gets to have any lasting character development, they never see a proper end to their story that gives them and the audience closure, and never ever make any kind of lasting progress to their stories.

Playing the identity politics game and resorting to trying to sell on the basis of terribly tone-deaf new representational characters is a symptom of the larger problem.

The smaller publishers are less impacted by it, but it's a choice between obscure properties, terrible licensed comics, or poor quality... unless it's Robotech, which is all 3.

1 hour ago, Podtastic said:

That is a major problem as well. Plus the writers and artists being a-holes to potential customers isn't helping.

2 hours ago, Einherjar said:

The biggest take away I got from this comic book?  Never go full Macross.

Eh... I think the actual Aesop here is that Robotech should stop trying to be a low-rent Macross knockoff and focus on developing its own original story.

Either that or, if a job's worth doing it's worth doing well... and if it isn't worth doing, give it to a Robotech licensee because they literally have nothing better to do.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Eh... I think the actual Aesop here is that Robotech should stop trying to be a low-rent Macross knockoff and focus on developing its own original story.

An original story about 30-foot zombies and dimensional sliders!

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Either that or, if a job's worth doing it's worth doing well... and if it isn't worth doing, give it to a Robotech licensee because they literally have nothing better to do.

Or that.

Comic book movies have sold a ton of merchandise. Not comics.  Super hero figures are flowing like water(or at least were..).

A little over a month ago i walked into a comic shop in San Rafael (Cali) to check it out. I actually bought a few comics. The newest Wolverine , issue 1 and a few from Image . New stuff I've never seen, of course I haven't been paying much attention.  There was plenty of the same, familiar titles and plenty of other new stuff. I looked at the Manga section and ,as usual, it was lame. Now there was a comic shop I visited last summer in Berkeley that blew my mind . They had all the good Sh!!t. I was able to catch up on Tsutomu Nihei's Aposimz and Abara. Plus the master edition of Blame! They had a phat manga section and even bandai kits and much, much more. This shop was next level.

What's the point of my rant? Well, I wouldn't even know anyone was attempting Robowreck comics if not for this thread. It's just not on my radar. I'm not gonna hate on anyone that's a fan. But i will continue to shake my head in confusion :p

14 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Could be, when your core demographic is nerdy white men living in their mom's basements still I can see how that might be a problem.  They (comic books) need to go back to that only demographic that has been "woke" and demanding to themselves since the dawn of time, white males.

3 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Could be, when your core demographic is nerdy white men living in their mom's basements still I can see how that might be a problem.  They (comic books) need to go back to that only demographic that has been "woke" and demanding to themselves since the dawn of time, white males.

I question whether this comic book could have succeeded with that kind of demographic as the target and the amount of material the series has stretched across three unrelated shows that could trigger them.  I mean come on, there was a J-Pop idol in the first part that they struggled to make excuses for.

4 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Could be, when your core demographic is nerdy white men living in their mom's basements still I can see how that might be a problem. 

Now, in all fairness, the vast majority of the political spectrum seems to find the entertainment industry's deeply insincere ("fake woke") attempts to convert the various key issues that social reform advocates are pushing for into cashflow terribly obnoxious.  It's not JUST the basement-dwelling neckbeards rolling their eyes as Marvel and DC attempt to one-up each other with hilariously ill-advised attempts to pander like Marvel's newest superheroes: Screentime, Snowflake, and Safespace.  The basement-dwelling neckbeards and all the time the comics industry spend pandering to them are part of the problem, though, since pandering to their tastes meant comic books quickly drove away almost everyone else and left major publishers with a serious problem of slipping sales as the fanbase shrunk.

Very similar to Robotech's problem, really... except in Robotech's case the franchise's obscurity and lack of innovation over entire decades keeps casual audiences away and the fans are even more unpleasable that comic book guys because the Robotech they love exists exclusively in their fabricated memories.

They (comic books) need to go back to that only demographic that has been "woke" and demanding to themselves since the dawn of time, white males.

I think you're using that word wrong...

49 minutes ago, Einherjar said:

I question whether this comic book could have succeeded with that kind of demographic as the target and the amount of material the series has stretched across three unrelated shows that could trigger them.  I mean come on, there was a J-Pop idol in the first part that they struggled to make excuses for.

Really, Titan's Robotech and Robotech Remix were never going to be hits because they slaughtered the sacred cow that was the Robotech TV series story and then tried to market their bad Macross fanfic to an audience that doesn't really care for anime tropes either... they didn't consider who their audience was.

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Now, in all fairness, the vast majority of the political spectrum seems to find the entertainment industry's deeply insincere ("fake woke") attempts to convert the various key issues that social reform advocates are pushing for into cashflow terribly obnoxious.  It's not JUST the basement-dwelling neckbeards rolling their eyes as Marvel and DC attempt to one-up each other with hilariously ill-advised attempts to pander like Marvel's newest superheroes: Screentime, Snowflake, and Safespace.  The basement-dwelling neckbeards and all the time the comics industry spend pandering to them are part of the problem, though, since pandering to their tastes meant comic books quickly drove away almost everyone else and left major publishers with a serious problem of slipping sales as the fanbase shrunk.

Okay, I just took a look at their  "newest superheroes"... is it just me, or does the girl with the backpack look like she's wearing a phalanx?

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Very similar to Robotech's problem, really... except in Robotech's case the franchise's obscurity and lack of innovation over entire decades keeps casual audiences away and the fans are even more unpleasable that comic book guys because the Robotech they love exists exclusively in their fabricated memories.

<snip>

Really, Titan's Robotech and Robotech Remix were never going to be hits because they slaughtered the sacred cow that was the Robotech TV series story and then tried to market their bad Macross fanfic to an audience that doesn't really care for anime tropes either... they didn't consider who their audience was.

Yup. This pretty much sums the case up.

Sure Hollywood is making some bad movies today with "woke" themes.  They also made just as many bad movies back in every previous decade.  Blaming bad movies or comics on "woke" is as bad as blaming them on too much testosterone in the eighties.  Anyone pointing at a bad movie and saying it is bad because it is saying something they don't want to hear might need to rethink that position.  

Sure Hollywood is making some bad movies today with "woke" themes.  They also made just as many bad movies back in every previous decade.  Blaming bad movies or comics on "woke" is as bad as blaming them on too much testosterone in the eighties.  Anyone pointing at a bad movie and saying it is bad because it is saying something they don't want to hear might need to rethink that position.  

Eh... I don't think you can dismiss it that easily.  I'll grant you there are a lot of bad movies, TV shows, comics, etc. that are bad because they're ill-conceived, under-developed, and/or poorly executed.  That doesn't preclude the existence of works that are bad because of a particular creative choice with sweeping implications for the story.  Yes, there are movies and TV shows and comics and so on that are bad because they are "woke".  When people complain about "woke" entertainment, they're usually not complaining about the message itself.  The objectionable part is that the author has done such a terrible job of working the message into the story that it comes off as grating and preachy, wildly out of place, or otherwise significantly detrimental to the story.

Not really a problem for Robotech though... that fandom is full of Comic Book Guys, and most of Robotech's "creatives" know it.  Their problem is more the paradox of not liking anime and finding anime tropes offensive but liking Robotech, which is anime.  Titan Comics kind of found themselves in a merciless case of Morton's Fork where they tried to take their new comic reboot of Robotech away from its anime roots and got blasted for it by the fans and reversed course only to get blasted for making it more like anime in Robotech Remix.  You just can't win if you're trying to satisfy Robotech fans.

11 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Eh... I don't think you can dismiss it that easily.  I'll grant you there are a lot of bad movies, TV shows, comics, etc. that are bad because they're ill-conceived, under-developed, and/or poorly executed.  That doesn't preclude the existence of works that are bad because of a particular creative choice with sweeping implications for the story.  Yes, there are movies and TV shows and comics and so on that are bad because they are "woke".  When people complain about "woke" entertainment, they're usually not complaining about the message itself.  The objectionable part is that the author has done such a terrible job of working the message into the story that it comes off as grating and preachy, wildly out of place, or otherwise significantly detrimental to the story.

Not really a problem for Robotech though... that fandom is full of Comic Book Guys, and most of Robotech's "creatives" know it.  Their problem is more the paradox of not liking anime and finding anime tropes offensive but liking Robotech, which is anime.  Titan Comics kind of found themselves in a merciless case of Morton's Fork where they tried to take their new comic reboot of Robotech away from its anime roots and got blasted for it by the fans and reversed course only to get blasted for making it more like anime in Robotech Remix.  You just can't win if you're trying to satisfy Robotech fans.

What maddened me about the series was the collective dump they took on Max. They took away his feats in the series [His wins over Miriya, and their wedding and birth of Dana being the crucial turning point in the Humans, Zentraedi relationship] and gave them to Rick [because that frakker didn't have enough feats already they had to take Max's and give them to Rick] and then they made the few Max and Miriya interactions so hate filled that there's no way that they can possibly get together now without some serious personality alterations. The laughable part is that the writer expects us to believe that Max is one of his favorites [along with Miriya and Dana] I asked the writer why we should believe that Max is one of his favorites when Max has been crapped on the entire. Ofcourse the coward wouldn't answer.

Edited by JohnMc

1 hour ago, JohnMc said:

What maddened me about the series was the collective dump they took on Max. They took away his feats in the series [His wins over Miriya, and their wedding and birth of Dana being the crucial turning point in the Humans, Zentraedi relationship] and gave them to Rick [because that frakker didn't have enough feats already they had to take Max's and give them to Rick] and then they made the few Max and Miriya interactions so hate filled that there's no way that they can possibly get together now without some serious personality alterations. The laughable part is that the writer expects us to believe that Max is one of his favorites [along with Miriya and Dana] I asked the writer why we should believe that Max is one of his favorites when Max has been crapped on the entire. Ofcourse the coward wouldn't answer.

You know, it really sounds to me like much of the "Remix" fanfic here was written by a man who despised Max in the original RT and felt compelled to take a collective dump on him.

Keep in mind: a "favorite" can be someone's favorite punching bag...

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

You know, it really sounds to me like much of the "Remix" fanfic here was written by a man who despised Max in the original RT and felt compelled to take a collective dump on him.

Keep in mind: a "favorite" can be someone's favorite punching bag...

Both writers [Simon Furman wrote the original Titan series while Brendan Fletcher wrote Remix] didn't seem to like Max.

1 hour ago, Einherjar said:

Some of that sounds like the Macross 7 version of Max, except he’s a loser.

No wonder this series was doomed to failure. Copying the Macross series than most fans like to pretend doesn't exist. What could have possibly gone wrong?

7 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

This "series" is such a mess I wouldn't get hungup any particular offense.  It was even Robotech in name only.

If they didn't go out of there way to crap on Max so much I wouldn't be too bothered by this series. 

17 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

No wonder this series was doomed to failure. Copying the Macross series than most fans like to pretend doesn't exist. What could have possibly gone wrong?

I figured it out almost half a year ago when the totally not Var syndromed giant aliens showed up.  This comic didn’t have a woke problem, it had a deculture problem, and I still don’t know what what the heck woke is supposed to mean.

2 hours ago, JohnMc said:

Now, if I had to theorize as to why... 

The Robotech and Robotech Remix comics seem to be trying to find ways to justify Rick's central role in the Robotech animated setting.  Even when he wasn't present, he was still this all-important character whom the plot essentially revolved around because he was the one who deprived Earth of most of its defenses in the Masters Saga and then was dispatching soldiers to Earth to recapture it in the New Generation.  He was still plot critical in Shadow Chronicles, with the whole story essentially being "whatever happened to Rick?".  It felt like Titan was trying to justify him still having such a central role in their own version of the story by making him Neo from The Matrix and giving him superpowers on top of making him more like the alleged badass Robotech's sequels tried to make him out to be.

Part of it, I suspect, is dictated by Titan's or HG's legal counsel.  It's dangerous enough for Robotech to continue to use Rick Hunter/Hikaru Ichijo because of HG's inability to use the Haruhiko Mikimoto character design in new film works or make derivative designs based on it (which is why the Sentinels design was deemed too close and was ditched in favor of making him unrecognizable in Shadow Chronicles).  Max and Milia, however, are probably the most dangerous/risky characters for Robotech to use in post-Macross Saga stories, as the Macross franchise has made extensive use of those characters in its own original sequels like Macross M3 or Macross 7.  Trying to continue their TV series relationship in sequels would pose a lot of risks and require a lot more oversight from legal to make sure they weren't visually or narratively converging on their Macross counterparts in any way that Big West might consider legally actionable.  Not having their relationship is the easiest way to make sure they remain legally distinct, short of just not having them present at all.  That was what Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles did... it killed off or otherwise disposed of characters that were too risky to use like Breetai, Exedore, Max, Miriya, and Minmei before the OVA actually started.

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

More like someone was desperately trying to make Rick Hunter into the elite badass that Robotech's various failed sequel efforts talk him up as... despite that always turning out to be dialog writing a check the story can't cash.  That, I suspect, is why he's been made into a top ace with superhuman powers stolen from The Matrix sequels.

9 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Both writers [Simon Furman wrote the original Titan series while Brendan Fletcher wrote Remix] didn't seem to like Max.

To be fair, Robotech's Max is kind of a weenie... Cam Clarke makes him sound more like an introverted shy guy with self-confidence problems than Sho Hayami's humble badass ladies man.  Robotech also basically demoted him to a background character in Sentinels and then to Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Film thereafter for legal reasons.

9 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

This is more or less standard practice in the Robotech franchise.

Harmony Gold and its licensees knew from a very early point that Macross was the only part of Robotech 99% of Robotech's fans gave a damn about, and so almost every attempt to develop an "original" continuation of the Robotech animated series has leaned on Macross heavily despite their inability to use Macross designs in new film works.  The Robotech fan base may not want to acknowledge that Macross is infinitely more successful than Robotech, but every Robotech sequel effort except Robotech 3000 was basically just a bad Macross fanfic.  Titan's Robotech Remix is just more blatant about it than usual.

30 minutes ago, Einherjar said:

I still don’t know what what the heck woke is supposed to mean.

It's what we called "politically correct" in the '90s, showing sensitivity towards issues of race, gender and sexual identity (and more recently, representation of same in works of fiction).

33 minutes ago, Einherjar said:

I figured it out almost half a year ago when the totally not Var syndromed giant aliens showed up.  This comic didn’t have a woke problem, it had a deculture problem, and I still don’t know what what the heck woke is supposed to mean.

Woke means to be alert to injustices in society [racism, sexism, every -ism and -phobia the grievance hustlers can think of]

I don't think has that problem. I think the problem is that its been handled by two writers that either don't know or don't care about Robotech and the lore and characters involved.

4 minutes ago, tekering said:

It's what we called "politically correct" in the '90s, showing sensitivity towards issues of race, gender and sexual identity (and more recently, representation of same in works of fiction).

Not quite... it means you're alert to injustice in society, be it racism, sexism, etc.

Political correctness is avoidance of anything that might offend or disadvantage a particular group in society.

3 hours ago, JohnMc said:

For some reason, I didn't flash on Simon Furman being the writer behind RT and Remix; that explains a LOT.

Furman did the same thing to Transformers, including the mythos of Primus he himself had created in the Marvel series. He ended Regeneration One by essentially destroying all the Transformers and Cybertron, and his work in the 2009 IDW series I didn't care for either.Furman seems to like tearing stuff down, even if he's the one who built it up. In Max's case in Remix, it's like Furman to take that character and utterly deconstruct him to the point where he's now essentially destroyed/ worthless. He's also trashed the Max/ Miriya romance to the point where only a continuity correction/ reset could ever repair it.

One last note: in RT, they took the SDF-1, rebuilt it with parts into the SDF-3 and sent that back into time to be rebuilt into the SDF-1. Has it occurred to anybody that should that be the new "timeline", the SDF-1 would repeatedly be sent back through time until the frame was too battered by going through the timeline and being sent back to hold, and the whole damned ship breaks apart on reentry into Earth's atmosphere? That ship is in an infinite loop, but it's not infinitely durable!!!

Edited by pengbuzz

35 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

For some reason, I didn't flash on Simon Furman being the writer behind RT and Remix; that explains a LOT.

Furman did the same thing to Transformers, including the mythos of Primus he himself had created in the Marvel series. He ended Regeneration One by essentially destroying all the Transformers and Cybertron, and his work in the 2009 IDW series I didn't care for either.Furman seems to like tearing stuff down, even if he's the one who built it up. In Max's case in Remix, it's like Furman to take that character and utterly deconstruct him to the point where he's now essentially destroyed/ worthless. He's also trashed the Max/ Miriya romance to the point where only a continuity correction/ reset could ever repair it.

One last note: in RT, they took the SDF-1, rebuilt it with parts into the SDF-3 and sent that back into time to be rebuilt into the SDF-1. Has it occurred to anybody that should that be the new "timeline", the SDF-1 would repeatedly be sent back through time until the frame was too battered by going through the timeline and being sent back to hold, and the whole damned ship breaks apart on reentry into Earth's atmosphere? That ship is in an infinite loop, but it's not infinitely durable!!!

Furman wrote the first series from Titan. Brendan Fletcher wrote the so 4 issues of Remix. Furman definitely deserves the blame for Max being crapped on. He's the one who wiped away Max's feats to give them to Rick. Fletcher continued crapping on him [despite him and Titan claiming that they realized the Max wasn't treated properly in the previous series and that Remix would right that ship.

18 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Furman wrote the first series from Titan. Brendan Fletcher wrote the so 4 issues of Remix. Furman definitely deserves the blame for Max being crapped on. He's the one who wiped away Max's feats to give them to Rick. Fletcher continued crapping on him [despite him and Titan claiming that they realized the Max wasn't treated properly in the previous series and that Remix would right that ship.

Ah; I thought Furman wrote both. Thanks for the clarification, JohnMc.

I also alluded to this topic back on 2/18/2020.

Brian Wood wrote the first 8 issues of the last Robotech Titan series. He has a few accusations floating around google about his possible harassment of women. I believe there were even some quasi-articles written up prior to or just after Titan's Robotech comic book premiering indicating he was taking this Robotech opportunity to almost apologize to his accusers, right his past wrongs, or perhaps market himself to the latest fad of comic book plots.

On another topic, I am sheepishly a fan of both the RT franchise and the Macross franchise and there really is no discussion of the Titan comic anywhere. Unless, I'm missing something this thread is the most active and intelligent discussion of the comic I can find. Is it happening on Facebook? In YouTube comments? Maybe 10,000 comics are sold and how many of those consumers want to converse about it? The absence of activity is a pretty big indictment of the franchise.