Robotech and REMIX by Titan Comics

Old_Nash

On 3/17/2020 at 6:50 PM, JohnMc said:

Well here's a sign that this series might be cancelled. The upcoming TPB only collects issues 1-4.

https://www.comixology.com/Robotech-Remix-Vol-1-Déjà-Vu/digital-comic/820123?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9pdGVtU2xpZGVy

I can't imagine people chomping at the bit to get a TPB with only 4 issues.

The 5th edition will be release in the 03/25.

Next Wednesday XD

46 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Diamond has it listed as cancelled.

Yeah, I know; that's why I asked Old_Nash where he was getting this from:

4 hours ago, Old_Nash said:

Next Wednesday XD

10 hours ago, Einherjar said:

What happens to the multiverse if the comic really is cancelled?

I'll write you an ending.

Thanos arrived with his Infinity Gauntlet. Immediately snapped his fingers and the entire universe turned to dust. 

1 hour ago, JohnMc said:

Thanos arrived with his Infinity Gauntlet. Immediately snapped his fingers and the entire universe turned to dust. 

So, Thanos turns out to be the hero!  Interesting twist.  :good:

Maybe there's a reality out there somewhere where Robotech IS as popular as die-hard fans in this reality want to believe it is. Paramount has made half a dozen Robotech movies, there's a dozen or so cartoons including some mid 90s early CG ones, and Transformers is just a footnote of 80s nostalgia with a few die-hards who like to troll Diaclone forums.

But even there I bet they still haven't found a way to fit Orguss into it. :)

18 hours ago, Old_Nash said:

Are we sure about that?  Titan Comics' own website lists only two more releases planned for the month of March:

image.png.eeff279c86244dbb2867312b7aba435f.png

14 hours ago, JohnMc said:

Diamond has it listed as cancelled.

image.png.abb01be0d22b31c8e3c03a6a504a2e8a.png

Well, kind of... the above is a screenshot from Diamond Comic Distributors' cancellation list for the month of April 2020.  You'll notice the cancellation reason is 2, meaning that this issue was delayed or otherwise on hiatus for long enough that the distributor cancelled all open orders for it but the publisher at least theoretically intends to release this issue at a later date (or simply hasn't announced the series is cancelled yet).  However, it should be noted that this cancellation is for next month, which suggests that Titan will not deliver the issue this month or next month.

image.png.e394dadc70ef5298deea8e10d390875c.png

If the issue were just straight-up cancelled we'd expect to see cancellation reason 4... and if Titan Comics announced that the series itself was being terminated we'd see a 9.

13 hours ago, Einherjar said:

What happens to the multiverse if the comic really is cancelled?

Does anyone care?

1 hour ago, jeniusornome said:

Maybe there's a reality out there somewhere where Robotech IS as popular as die-hard fans in this reality want to believe it is. Paramount has made half a dozen Robotech movies, there's a dozen or so cartoons including some mid 90s early CG ones, and Transformers is just a footnote of 80s nostalgia with a few die-hards who like to troll Diaclone forums.

... so, the home universe of DC's Bizarro, where bad is good and vice versa?  It sounds unpleasant.  At least Titan Comics hasn't been so crass as to attempt a Superboy Prime with one such universe being the universe where Robotech is a popular comic/TV/movie series.

5 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Are we sure about that?  Titan Comics' own website lists only two more releases planned for the month of March:

Well, kind of... the above is a screenshot from Diamond Comic Distributors' cancellation list for the month of April 2020.  You'll notice the cancellation reason is 2, meaning that this issue was delayed or otherwise on hiatus for long enough that the distributor cancelled all open orders for it but the publisher at least theoretically intends to release this issue at a later date (or simply hasn't announced the series is cancelled yet).  However, it should be noted that this cancellation is for next month, which suggests that Titan will not deliver the issue this month or next month.

If the issue were just straight-up cancelled we'd expect to see cancellation reason 4... and if Titan Comics announced that the series itself was being terminated we'd see a 9.

Does anyone care?

... so, the home universe of DC's Bizarro, where bad is good and vice versa?  It sounds unpleasant.  At least Titan Comics hasn't been so crass as to attempt a Superboy Prime with one such universe being the universe where Robotech is a popular comic/TV/movie series.

Well, I ask about it in Titan' Twitter.

Let see qhat they will answear

12 minutes ago, Old_Nash said:

Well, I ask about it in Titan' Twitter.

Let see qhat they will answear

As I noted on the previous page, Titan Comics hasn't been answering reader questions about the status of the series on their social media.

That's one of the things that makes this "delay" so odd... Titan Comics is normally fairly willing to communicate with its customers via its official website and social media, but there has been no news about the now-substantial delay in the fifth issue's release and questions posed about the status of the series on social media go unanswered.  If this was just some kind of delay caused by mundane business reasons like a key staffer's illness or a problem at the printer's it'd be a simple thing to announce that wouldn't reflect badly on them.  Even if the series were cancelled, saying something about it being cancelled would be the norm.  This total silence on the subject is what makes it look suspicious.

14 minutes ago, Old_Nash said:

Trying a joke with The Phantom Menace.

In that scene before invasions of drones.

Oh god, I've fallen victim to a prequel meme! 

Just now, Dynaman said:

Remember - the RT LAM is still officially not cancelled either.  I wonder which will appear first.

Well, you're technically not wrong... the Robotech live action movie isn't cancelled, and it technically can't be cancelled because neither of the studios that've held the license approved the proposal for a live action movie.  You can't cancel a project that was never even officially planned, let alone started.

It's rather odd that Titan Comics committed to a new Robotech comic after their short-lived Robotech reimagining ended and then suddenly went silent about it just four issues in.  The plans for a trade paperback and re-releases of old Comico and Eternity/Malibu Robotech comics suggest that they haven't lost the Robotech license to a sudden revocation the way the last two pre-reboot licensees (Academy and Antarctic) did, but the total silence about the status of the publication after unexplained multi-month delays is an odd move for a normally professional publisher.  I'd expect an announcement of a delay even if someone connected to the publication had died abruptly. 

The only thing I can think of that'd cause TItan to just clam up like this about the status of the series as a whole and the next issue is if they were facing the prospect of legal action and their attorney advised them not to discuss it publicly.  That, of course, would raise further questions like whether this apparent delay/cancellation is because Harmony Gold found some content in issue 5 and/or plans for future issues that would've caused a lawsuit and they're frantically reworking the comic or they've already received a cease and desist or a summons over something in a previous issue (e.g. the copyright infringement1 in the previous Robotech comic) and put future development on hold while the lawyers sort things out.

1.  For instance, having used the design of the factory satellite from Macross VF-X2 as Dolza's mothership in the Robotech comic series.  Neither HG nor Tatsunoko have any rights to Macross VF-X2, so the use of the design constitutes copyright infringement.

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Does anyone care?

Thanks for that. I wouldn't be surprised if they restart the book again later on in the year with a new #1 and everything [since that's the comic book industry's main gimmick for reviving a floundering series. just restart it with a new #1] Robotech Re-Remix. 

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

As I noted on the previous page, Titan Comics hasn't been answering reader questions about the status of the series on their social media.

That's one of the things that makes this "delay" so odd... Titan Comics is normally fairly willing to communicate with its customers via its official website and social media, but there has been no news about the now-substantial delay in the fifth issue's release and questions posed about the status of the series on social media go unanswered.  If this was just some kind of delay caused by mundane business reasons like a key staffer's illness or a problem at the printer's it'd be a simple thing to announce that wouldn't reflect badly on them.  Even if the series were cancelled, saying something about it being cancelled would be the norm.  This total silence on the subject is what makes it look suspicious.

Possibility: HG's check bounced? :lol:

35 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Thanks for that. I wouldn't be surprised if they restart the book again later on in the year with a new #1 and everything [since that's the comic book industry's main gimmick for reviving a floundering series. just restart it with a new #1] Robotech Re-Remix. 

TBH, I don't think Titan Comics' Robotech Remix has anywhere near the level of average readership it'd take to survive a hiatus and relaunch.  It's barely hanging on as it is with Diamond's overshipments and Robotech fans buying multiples for the variant covers to pad its sales numbers.

If they're in actual trouble with HG or a third party over the actual content in the comic, it'll almost certainly mean the permanent end of the series and possibly HG revoking Titan's license.

1 hour ago, blackconvoy_D01 said:

When does the notion that failure is not actual success start to sink in at HG?

Let's be honest... if it hasn't sunk in by now, it's not likely to do so at any point in the foreseeable future.

But, because Robotech's development costs have long ago been repaid and they can continue to eke out some tiny quantity of money from licensing they're not likely to give up until demand declines to the point that there's no point in even making the token effort.

13 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

the Robotech live action movie isn't cancelled, and it technically can't be cancelled because neither of the studios that've held the license approved the proposal for a live action movie.  You can't cancel a project that was never even officially planned, let alone started.

Thank God for this.

Who wants to see the Zentraedi mangled by a live action movie adaption aimed at casual movie goers.

On 3/19/2020 at 3:33 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

plenty to enjoy in the form of tech manuals, toys, model kits, etc.

Tech manuals, toys, model kits from Dullta??? 

A series is only as good as its Bad Guys, and in this case its the insipid Windascreenmears.

11 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Thank God for this.

Who wants to see the Zentraedi mangled by a live action movie adaption aimed at casual movie goers.

... if it were anyone other than you, I'd assume they were missing the point with comedic intent.  

6 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Tech manuals, toys, model kits from Dullta??? 

The maturity on display here is simply breathtaking.

6 hours ago, Podtastic said:

A series is only as good as its Bad Guys, and in this case its the insipid Windascreenmears.

There's some quality irony there... the Windermereans are potentially one of the most complex and interesting antagonists Macross has had.  Their main problem is that the writers of the Macross Delta series and movie left developing their backstory up to the Macross Delta Gaiden: the White Knight of the Black Wing manga.  Instead of just being "hostile aliens of unknown origin", they're a former New UN Government member world who were motivated to war by economic, political, and religious reasons.  

54 minutes ago, Einherjar said:

The cast of Orguss actually met characters from Macross in the Super Robot Wars and Another Century game series.

Wasn't that how they set up the original Super Robot Wars?  The dimensional bomb from the start of Orguss merged all their realities?

6 minutes ago, Convectuoso said:

Some of us hope the same for Macross The First

We've done that once already... Mikimoto-sensei just don't seem to have the time to do a proper job with Macross the First in the face of everything else he's working on.

Admittedly, the dimensional bomb and reality merging from the beginning of Orguss can pretty easily be used as an explanation for just about anything, even the various inconsistencies that come up in different Macross shows whenever someone tries to figure out what's "canon". :D

I don't know if it fractured reality quite enough to turn the "first spacefaring civilization" protoculture into a "fuel source derived from a magical flower" protoculture, but...

Edited by jeniusornome

47 minutes ago, jeniusornome said:

Admittedly, the dimensional bomb and reality merging from the beginning of Orguss can pretty easily be used as an explanation for just about anything, even the various inconsistencies that come up in different Macross shows whenever someone tries to figure out what's "canon". :D

I don't know if it fractured reality quite enough to turn the "first spacefaring civilization" protoculture into a "fuel source derived from a magical flower" protoculture, but...

It did shatter HG's connection to reality apparently. :p

13 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Thank God for this.

Its sad that with the advancement of CGI and other special effects Hollywood would still find a way to screw up Macross/Robotech. I was on an anime board they asked about the possibility of a live action Black Lagoon movie and I said that Hollywood would find a way to screw it up.