Robotech and REMIX by Titan Comics

Old_Nash

Good or bad, RT had an impact on western anime. It was responsible either directly or indirectly for a lot of people getting into anime. If anything it was a cautionary tale of how not to export anime into the west. Just look at Gundam and Dragon Ball.

Honestly if ADV or some-one else had gotten the publishing rights to Macross Plus/II my path thru anime wouldn't have been any different. 

9 hours ago, tekering said:

Hey, c'mon...  If it weren't for Robotech, this forum probably wouldn't even exist... and if it weren't for the ideal version of Macross that only exists in our heads, we probably wouldn't spend so much time and money trying to chase it.  Rose-colored nostalgia fuels most of our toy purchases, be it Transformers, Star Wars, or Robotech Macross and Mospeada.  :p

While I'm admittedly here because of Robotech, my ideal Macross DOES exist. The original series is pretty darn good.

10 hours ago, tekering said:

Hey, c'mon...  If it weren't for Robotech, this forum probably wouldn't even exist... and if it weren't for the ideal version of Macross that only exists in our heads, we probably wouldn't spend so much time and money trying to chase it.  Rose-colored nostalgia fuels most of our toy purchases, be it Transformers, Star Wars, or Robotech Macross and Mospeada.  :p

Just because people have a large pool of disposable income doesn’t entitle you to be an a$$ about something that was at one point related to the thing you obsess about.  However, thanks to Titan Comics it might be related to it again, just not in the ways people want it to be.

Then again, I could’ve posted the totally original Robotech bear aliens picture again because this is a super serious, no nonsense show.

14 hours ago, Einherjar said:

Says the conveniently late guy with the unfulfilled Zentradi fetish and ideal version of Robotech that only exists in his head at this point.

I don't do too badly for someone in the Southern Hemisphere with no home internet access other than on mobile data. Its a wonder I don't miss more really.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 1:02 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

To be fair, it wouldn't be surprising if a lot of those 1,400 members are bots or dead accounts... those two categories seem to make up a plurality if not a majority of all Facebook user accounts these days

1400 is not a massive number considering that Robotech was broadcast internationally in the 80s. Many of those people may be from South America.

17 hours ago, Dynaman said:

You need to look a little further afield, Scooby Doo perhaps.

Sounds right.

18 hours ago, Podtastic said:

1400 is not a massive number considering that Robotech was broadcast internationally in the 80s. Many of those people may be from South America.

To be honest, 1,400 is a gargantuan number considering the Robotech fandom mostly considers the Masters Saga to be an unlovely and unlovable red-headed stepchild of a story that boasts the franchise's worst... well... everything.  Worst writing, worst characters, worst mechanical designs, you name it.  14 or so actual members sounds much more reasonable.  The hate for the Masters Saga was, and is, very real and VERY commonplace.  The last time HG held a poll about whether the fans considered the Southern Cross Army competent the fans overwhelmingly responded "No".  

1 hour ago, JohnMc said:

Well here's a sign that this series might be cancelled. The upcoming TPB only collects issues 1-4.

https://www.comixology.com/Robotech-Remix-Vol-1-Déjà-Vu/digital-comic/820123?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9pdGVtU2xpZGVy

I can't imagine people chomping at the bit to get a TPB with only 4 issues.

Let's just hope Titan finally decided to mercy kill this turd.  Surely SOMEONE will let Robotech die with some remaining vague semblance of dignity.

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Let's just hope Titan finally decided to mercy kill this turd.  Surely SOMEONE will let Robotech die with some remaining vague semblance of dignity.

No!

I need my laughs, now more than ever!

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

worst mechanical designs

Not everyone agrees with this. Sure the Logan looks lousy, but the Bioroid system is awesome. 

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

worst characters

Hey? How is Corg a better character than Zor Prime?

8 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

To be honest, 1,400 is a gargantuan number considering the Robotech fandom mostly considers the Masters Saga to be an unlovely and unlovable red-headed stepchild of a story that boasts the franchise's worst... well... everything.  Worst writing, worst characters, worst mechanical designs, you name it.  14 or so actual members sounds much more reasonable.  The hate for the Masters Saga was, and is, very real and VERY commonplace.  The last time HG held a poll about whether the fans considered the Southern Cross Army competent the fans overwhelmingly responded "No".  

I wouldn't call it Masters Saga; perhaps something similar starting with "B"..... :D

I don't think the Masters mechanical designs are bad - just TOTALLY out of place with the other two shows.  But I have to point out that the Mecha that turns into a tank with the driver sitting OUTSIDE is probably the dumbest thing going.

7 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Not everyone agrees with this. Sure the Logan looks lousy, but the Bioroid system is awesome. 

It's literally just a cheap knockoff of the MS-06 Zaku II.

3 hours ago, Dynaman said:

I have to point out that the Mecha that turns into a tank with the driver sitting OUTSIDE is probably the dumbest thing going.

If only they'd at least added seatbelts...  :unsure:

sealtbelt.jpg.41915a09190a41a77baf46fa93ffda43.jpg

Poor George didn't even have body armor!  :o

2129998890_poorGeorge.jpg.4ca83af84a33ae1d93d63ac98d762412.jpg

16 hours ago, JohnMc said:

Well here's a sign that this series might be cancelled. The upcoming TPB only collects issues 1-4.

https://www.comixology.com/Robotech-Remix-Vol-1-Déjà-Vu/digital-comic/820123?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9pdGVtU2xpZGVy

I can't imagine people chomping at the bit to get a TPB with only 4 issues.

Twenty... twenty... one.

1 hour ago, tekering said:

If only they'd at least added seatbelts...  :unsure:

Poor George didn't even have body armor!  :o

As the youth say... "Yeet".

50 minutes ago, Einherjar said:

Twenty... twenty... one.

Are we counting the number of people likely to actually buy this steaming turd, or are we guessing that issue five has been pushed back a full calendar year?

It IS interesting to note that Robotech Remix currently has no further scheduled new issues releases on Titan Comics' posted publication schedule.  The only Robotech publications they have on the docket are the April release of the Robotech Remix trade paperback collecting the four issues published thus far and a July release for a reprint of the first part of Comico's adaptation of Robotech's Masters Saga.  There are no new issues of Remix on the schedule clear through the end of August 2020 and #5 is over a month late.

It really looks like it's been cancelled. :D 

43 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Are we counting the number of people likely to actually buy this steaming turd, or are we guessing that issue five has been pushed back a full calendar year?

It IS interesting to note that Robotech Remix currently has no further scheduled new issues releases on Titan Comics' posted publication schedule.  The only Robotech publications they have on the docket are the April release of the Robotech Remix trade paperback collecting the four issues published thus far and a July release for a reprint of the first part of Comico's adaptation of Robotech's Masters Saga.  There are no new issues of Remix on the schedule clear through the end of August 2020 and #5 is over a month late.

It really looks like it's been cancelled. :D 

Its definitely looks like they quietly cancelled it. Did they really think making Dana the main star would be a money maker?

I think I also saw that they were coming out with TPB's for Eternity comics Robotech II: The Sentinels series

25 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

I also saw that they were coming out with TPB's for Eternity comics Robotech II: The Sentinels series

That's weird.  They expect those to sell?  :huh:

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

July release for a reprint of the first part of Comico's adaptation of Robotech's Masters Saga. 

That's insane.  They can't possibly expect those to sell.  :blink:

2 hours ago, JohnMc said:

???

Robotech fans have a lot to be worried about if this controversial upheaval of the status quo doesn’t work out.  Ignoring what HG reps said last year since it was the same BS as usual, all of this really could end one day in the year 2021.

Save from the podcast was right; don’t panic and keep watching Macross.

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It's literally just a cheap knockoff of the MS-06 Zaku II.

You've said that several times and I just dont see anything but the most superficial resemblance. Its like saying a woman is just a cheap knock-off of a man.

It looks very different. The Zaku does not have the same curves, the two-toe feet etc. 

Isnt the Zaku also piloted via a conventional cockpit? How is that the same as the Bioroid control system where the Bioroid reacts reflexively as if it were the pilot's body?

Wait, aren't you a youth from the 90's or something?

7 hours ago, Dynaman said:

But I have to point out that the Mecha that turns into a tank with the driver sitting OUTSIDE is probably the dumbest thing going.

Its not really a tank then - self propelled artillery mb? But yes its still stupid.

1 hour ago, JohnMc said:

think I also saw that they were coming out with TPB's for Eternity comics Robotech II: The Sentinels series

Really? Has more than TPB 1 been released for the kindle yet? I missed these the first time around.

1 hour ago, JohnMc said:

Its definitely looks like they quietly cancelled it. Did they really think making Dana the main star would be a money maker?

Personally, my suspicion would be that Titan was actually counting on their own "original", heavily Macross-ized ongoing story to be the money maker and Dana's presence was the token effort being made to appease Robotech fans who might've accused the comic of being the glorified Macross fanfic it arguably is.  "See, a Robotech character is the story's main character, this is totally still a Robotech story!"

I don't think anyone would kid themselves that a story featuring Dana - even this vastly improved Dana who actually seems to possess a functioning brain - would be a draw... except for maybe two or three people who kid themselves about Southern Cross's (un)popularity.

1 hour ago, JohnMc said:

I think I also saw that they were coming out with TPB's for Eternity comics Robotech II: The Sentinels series

Yeah, they're basically trying to re-sell collected editions of the comics that rehash shows since those engaged in little-to-no copyright infringement and are usually the ones that the fans held in reasonably high regard.

59 minutes ago, tekering said:

That's weird.  They expect those to sell?  :huh:

That's insane.  They can't possibly expect those to sell.  :blink:

They're banking on nostalgia, which is a halfway workable strategy considering Comico is almost considered the apex of the pre-reboot Robotech comics.

40 minutes ago, Einherjar said:

Robotech fans have a lot to be worried about if this controversial upheaval of the status quo doesn’t work out.  Ignoring what HG reps said last year since it was the same BS as usual, all of this really could end one day in the year 2021.

Eh, I wouldn't count on it... it looks like Tatsunoko leveraged Harmony Gold's desperate need for a renewal to get them to drop the debt owed from arbitration.

40 minutes ago, Einherjar said:

Save from the podcast was right; don’t panic and keep watching Macross.

That's pretty much the obvious course of action.  The only purpose Robotech serves is cringe comedy... and to remind us how lucky we are that Macross's creators are competent and actually give a damn about the fanbase.

1 minute ago, Podtastic said:

You've said that several times and I just dont see anything but the most superficial resemblance. Its like saying a woman is just a cheap knock-off of a man.

... I think that might say more about you than the design, to be honest.

It was a very, VERY blatant ripoff of the Zaku II, even using the same sound effects when it was introduced.  Southern Cross's creators didn't really bother to hide how much they were ripping off in the show's development either, like making Seifreit a watered-down Char clone and giving him a high-performance ace Bioroid in bright red that was faster than a usual model.  It was basically a "scifi/robot anime by numbers" process, borrowing from YamatoGundam, and Macross in equal measure.

1 minute ago, Podtastic said:

Wait, aren't you a youth from the 90's or something?

Wrong generation... "Yeet" is something used by the kids a good decade younger than myself, 2000s kids.

43 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Wrong generation... "Yeet" is something used by the kids a good decade younger than myself, 2000s kids.

I was born in the 90's and I use yeet.

38 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

"Yeet"?

(Sigh)...this world is doomed. No wonder Boldoza sent five million ships to glass it from space...

I tend not to worry.  I have no idea what "Yeet" is supposed to mean and care even less.  In my day "Word" was a "Word" and earlier in my day "Groovy" was a word too and my parents didn't know what the heck I was saying either.  

16 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Eh - both of you can get off my internet while I go yell at a cloud.

Like, the water-in-the-sky kind (sorta weird) or the server-on-a-network kind (pretty understandable)?

6 hours ago, Podtastic said:

A certain segment of the fan base  if Dullta is anything to go by.

Most of the fanbase... some of us are unhappy with the last series, but we've got plenty to enjoy in the form of tech manuals, toys, model kits, etc.

The only one who seems truly unhappy here is you.

3 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

(Sigh)...this world is doomed. No wonder Boldoza sent five million ships to glass it from space...

This world was already doomed... it's been doomed from the moment it started to clot together out of interstellar dust.

This world was already doomed... it's been doomed from the moment it started to clot together out of interstellar dust.

So we're all doomed with the doominess of doom, eh?

Well... at least the next 2 billion years won't be boring...

19 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

So we're all doomed with the doominess of doom, eh?

Well... at least the next 2 billion years won't be boring...

Well, at least the folks in Venice confirmed the dolphins are still here.  Just make sure you know where your towel is.

8 hours ago, Podtastic said:

A certain segment of the fan base  if Dullta is anything to go by.

The same kind of people Titan Comics is/was trying to appeal to as well at everyone else’s expense in that fandom. ^_^

Edited by Einherjar

So... I wonder how long Titan Comics will continue to avoid mentioning that Robotech Remix is cancelled?  

Moreover, I wonder why it seemingly stopped development and publication so abruptly and without notice?  Was it just further slipping of their already low sales, or has Big West taken notice of Titan's copyright infringement and filed a lawsuit against them in England?  Titan's headquartered in Bankside, London... and the Macross trademarks belong to Big West in the UK these days.

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

So... I wonder how long Titan Comics will continue to avoid mentioning that Robotech Remix is cancelled?  

Moreover, I wonder why it seemingly stopped development and publication so abruptly and without notice?  Was it just further slipping of their already low sales, or has Big West taken notice of Titan's copyright infringement and filed a lawsuit against them in England?  Titan's headquartered in Bankside, London... and the Macross trademarks belong to Big West in the UK these days.

If it was something like that I doubt they would even be able to solicit a TPB of the 4 issues they did release. 

3 hours ago, JohnMc said:

If it was something like that I doubt they would even be able to solicit a TPB of the 4 issues they did release. 

A fair point... it does seem far more likely that Titan Comics cancelled Robotech Remix in the face of slipping sales and opted for a trade paperback as a way to wring a few more dollars from the material they'd already made.

What's odd is that Titan Comics moved the release date for Remix #5 out a month from its intended street date and then mysteriously went dead silent about it.  No news posts on the Titan Comics official website.  No announcements about it on the company's social media.  No responses to reader questions about the publication's status on social media.  No actual news to be had from the minor hobby news sites Titan uses to publish promotional materials for new issues.  It's Titan's abrupt and total silence about Robotech Remix that's cause for speculation that something might be up.  Normally when a comic gets cancelled there's some kind of warning, usually in the form of a letter from the editor in the final issue or a news post on the publisher's website, unless sales are so apocalyptically bad the publisher has to replace the toilet paper in their bathrooms with returned-unsold inventory.  The sales of the last issue of Remix weren't THAT bad, so Titan's abrupt silence about the missing issue and the series as a whole is enough to make you think something else might be going on... like a threat of a lawsuit for copyright infringement from Macross's owners.