Robotech and REMIX by Titan Comics

Old_Nash

12 minutes ago, Knight26 said:

I though the fact that they skipped last month and another has not come out yet meant that this horrid crap had died.

Nothing explicitly stated... but we're all really hoping.

5 hours ago, jeniusornome said:

Wait, we can't get Orguss?

Macek used to claim that Harmony Gold had the rights to Orguss as well, but just couldn't come up with a way to incorporate it into the Robotech concept (primarily because of the Emaan's problematic antennae).

10 minutes ago, tekering said:

Macek used to claim that Harmony Gold had the rights to Orguss as well, but just couldn't come up with a way to incorporate it into the Robotech concept (primarily because of the Emaan's problematic antennae).

large.5b21e7f95fc19_sdj1.jpg.e0f98306fb2cf081fe582d05d52dcd71.jpg

What problem? :lol:

Edited by Einherjar

22 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Now if it were Komilia, that'd be one thing... but that wretched creature from Southern Cross?  Talk about tainting an icon.

I think that's kind of the point... otherwise they'll just get sued for ripping off Macross M3.

Who IS this series for, again?  

Changes hands to who?  This isn't a world where people are living in blissful ignorance of Robotech's history of epic failure... who would possibly want this turd now that a dedicated turd polisher has apparently failed with it?

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Luckily its not THE Skull-One [as in the VF-1S] Her's is the VF-1R. 

Did Macross M3 even come out in the States? 

I'm at that point that I don't even think that they know who they're aiming this series at.

If/when Titan loses the license I'm sure they'll shop it around to some other comic company [maybe Dynamite again since they were supposed to do a Robotech series after the Robotech/Voltron cross over

Its like a massive trainwreck. You know you're not supposed to watch it yet you're still drawn to it like a moth to a flame. Plus there's also the morbid curiosity of "How will they frakk up the characters and lore this time?" element.

22 hours ago, Bolt said:

Fans of Macross may want to stay away..

Perhaps reality finally caught up..

I'm sure some will browse it online for the morbid curiosity.

Sales have not been good. And there's no word of it on their website or social media accounts. Just shilling TPBs of older RT series and Vol. 1 of Remix [they want to sell a TPB of a series with only 4 issues actually out. How dumb can they be?]

Edited by JohnMc

56 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Luckily its not THE Skull-One [as in the VF-1S] Her's is the VF-1R. 

While that helps a bit, it still doesn't chase away the thought that any self-respecting VF-1 would vomit her out rather than let her pilot it.

Did Macross M3 even come out in the States? 

No, but a Macross title not being released in the US has never proved to be an impediment to Robotech comic book authors ripping it off.

Macross 7 was never released in the US, and Antarctic Press still ripped off the VF-19F Excalibur for one of their Robotech titles.  Flash Back 2012 not being released in the US didn't stop Academy Comics from infringing on Big West's copyrights by using the VF-4A.  Etc.

If/when Titan loses the license I'm sure they'll shop it around to some other comic company [maybe Dynamite again since they were supposed to do a Robotech series after the Robotech/Voltron cross over

Probably not.  It's very rare for Robotech to end up working again with the same licensee twice... mostly because those licenses tend to end with the licensee dropping the license due to the title's perennially poor performance, but sometimes because HG itself dropped the licensee due to crap quality (e.g. Academy, Antarctic) or because of some great shame that further tarred the Robotech brand (Palladium).

My suspicion is that, once Titan drops Robotech, they'll have to shop it around to find some other indie comic publisher willing to gamble on the Robotech brand because they were too stupid to investigate the brand's standing and took HG's press packet on faith.

24 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

While that helps a bit, it still doesn't chase away the thought that any self-respecting VF-1 would vomit her out rather than let her pilot it.

Working on that cartoon as we speak...

No, but a Macross title not being released in the US has never proved to be an impediment to Robotech comic book authors ripping it off.

Macross 7 was never released in the US, and Antarctic Press still ripped off the VF-19F Excalibur for one of their Robotech titles.  Flash Back 2012 not being released in the US didn't stop Academy Comics from infringing on Big West's copyrights by using the VF-4A.  Etc.

Desperation does that: it's the mother of many foul-ups, assumptions and half-assery.

Probably not.  It's very rare for Robotech to end up working again with the same licensee twice... mostly because those licenses tend to end with the licensee dropping the license due to the title's perennially poor performance, but sometimes because HG itself dropped the licensee due to crap quality (e.g. Academy, Antarctic) or because of some great shame that further tarred the Robotech brand (Palladium).

Wow...it's bad when a crap company drops a crap company for making crap. As for "further tarring Robotech", you means Palladium actually managed to one-up HG?

My suspicion is that, once Titan drops Robotech, they'll have to shop it around to find some other indie comic publisher willing to gamble on the Robotech brand because they were too stupid to investigate the brand's standing and took HG's press packet on faith.

At the rate they're going, the should be hitting folks using Bic pens and notebook paper for comic pages and home inkjet printers to publish it very soon...

2 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

At the rate they're going, the should be hitting folks using Bic pens and notebook paper for comic pages and home inkjet printers to publish it very soon...

Oh, so right back to the Comico days.  It's the end of the circle.  <_<

Your hopes for the demise of Robotech Remix brings two visions to mind.

First is Peanuts' Lucy pulling that football away from Charlie Brown one more time or in this case publishing Issue 5 of Remix.

Second is that old saying about cockroaches being the most successful organism on Earth even after the apocalypse. Robotech is the cockroach of anime?

I think people like you conveniently came too late into the situation to really know you are talking about, not being there for all of the embarrassing moments Robotech has gone through that helped lead things to this, Brofessor.  Also, first impressions really matter, and you really screwed that up.

3 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Working on that cartoon as we speak...

Oh my... I can hardly wait. :D 

Desperation does that: it's the mother of many foul-ups, assumptions and half-assery.

That or sheer laziness.  So many of the old Robotech comics, like Titan's first Robotech run, were simply ripping off whatever was popular/iconic at the time.  Macross PlusGhost in the ShellIndependence Day, and a dozen other titles fell victim to copyright infringement under Robotech's flag.  That's why HG won't reprint most of the old comics, and why they won't ever consider them canon... it'd only draw attention to the crime.

Wow...it's bad when a crap company drops a crap company for making crap. As for "further tarring Robotech", you means Palladium actually managed to one-up HG?

By bilking Robotech fans for $1.4 million (US) to make a tabletop game while lying about the actual completion level of the game's development, concealing massive cost overruns in development due to poor planning, misappropriating most of the remaining development budget to produce retail stock of their half-completed game on the (wrong) assumption it would sell like mad and fund the rest of development, and then spending the next several years lying to their backers and Harmony Gold itself about the state of the project to cover up the fact that nothing was being worked on after they found out the hard way they'd massively overestimated demand for the game and blown the entire remaining budget on an idiotic attempt to replenish it using profits from retail sales of the game, leaving them idiotically stuck holding a huge pile of unsold (and unsellable) inventory in their warehouse as pissed-off Kickstarter backers destroyed what little retail market remained for the game by flipping their backer rewards on eBay for a fraction of retail price, all while they waited for the fan outrage to mount to a level where Harmony Gold would rake them over the coals and possibly sue them for fraud.

Most Harmony Gold licensees either give up because they realize there's no money to be made in Robotech, or because they do such a poor job that Harmony Gold isn't making any money on what the licensees produce.  Palladium Books are the only ones who've managed to lose the license through sheer criminal misconduct.

Been there, done that... or at least it seems that way given the (frankly sh*t-awful) quality of what Antarctic Press was publishing.

Their comics were so crappy that Robotech fans APPLAUDED the decision to revoke Antarctic's license.

1 hour ago, tekering said:

Oh, so right back to the Comico days.  It's the end of the circle.  <_<

More another loop in a terminal spiral... but it is what it is.

1 hour ago, Brofessor said:

Your hopes for the demise of Robotech Remix brings two visions to mind.

First is Peanuts' Lucy pulling that football away from Charlie Brown one more time or in this case publishing Issue 5 of Remix.

Second is that old saying about cockroaches being the most successful organism on Earth even after the apocalypse. Robotech is the cockroach of anime?

Nope, cockroaches are WAY too successful at propagating themselves... Robotech is more like a coelacanth.  You go ages without ever seeing it, and when it does finally turn up on one of its infrequent public appearances the main topic for discussion is why this relic of a bygone era is still around at all.

10 hours ago, Brofessor said:

My apologies. What was my first impression here? My Robotech Gender essay?

Oh man, I had blocked that horrid piece of SJW buzzword bingo clap trap out of my mind.  Thanks for reminding me.

12 hours ago, Brofessor said:

Robotech is the cockroach of anime?

In Brofessor's defense, I think this is an apt analogy.  Just look at Facebook; among the myriad Robotech fan groups is one specifically for The Masters War (which is mostly fan art of Southern Cross characters and mecha).  It has 1400 members.

FOURTEEN HUNDRED.  :blink:

21 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Oh my... I can hardly wait. :D

Well, admittedly it's only a quick sketch that I just as quickly colored in Photoshop, but it gets the point across (I REALLY don't like drawing Dana Sterling) :

1300204512_DanaSterlingMacrossbootjokecartoon.thumb.jpg.e76af2b861ecc8e38b1a19854be84fb2.jpg

Yes, Skull One indeed drop-kicked Dana. Hopefully, the landing gives her a merciful end...

Edited by pengbuzz

I hadn’t seen Robotech in a long time, was well into other shows by the time adv did their “perfect collection” and I’d already had the animeigo box set of Macross by then. 

when I went back and watched it I noticed quite a few things were not as I remembered. Minmay was whinier, Dana was whinier, Rick was whinier, Bowie was whinier, Scott was whinier...

whereas what I remembered of the characters in “the Macross saga” was a lot closer to how it was in Macross (possibly just because I’d seen it more recently), and the new gen characters were all kind of generic. But I remembered Dana as being awesome - keep in mind, this was a show I first saw when I was like 5 or 6 and last saw when I was maybe 11 or 12.

i sometimes wonder: maybe the Robotech fans who can’t acknowledge that the show was just another poorly written import hack job like Voltron, Tranzor Z (Mazinger) and etc are just going on what they remember and haven’t actually watched it in 30ish years.

anyways, point is, I get why you guys don’t like Dana. But the version I remember from 30 ish years ago is still one of my favorites (She just doesn’t actually exist).

On 3/13/2020 at 2:18 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Max should be in Skull One. Not Dana. I don't mind her appearing, but she shouldn't be such a focal point.

Max should be in Skull One. Not Dana. I don't mind her appearing, but she shouldn't be such a focal point.

Is it really ripping off when Harmony Gold owns the rights to those Macross seasons? If you want a rip off look at Voltron: From the ashes that rips off the premise of Power Rangers SPD.

Honestly Harmony Gold has done such a terrible job at keeping it relevant and with Titan doing a terrible I wouldn't be too sad if Robotech went to bed for awhile or was sold off to someone competent.

16 hours ago, tekering said:

In Brofessor's defense, I think this is an apt analogy.  Just look at Facebook; among the myriad Robotech fan groups is one specifically for The Masters War (which is mostly fan art of Southern Cross characters and mecha).  It has 1400 members.

FOURTEEN HUNDRED.  :blink:

Eh... like any Facebook group, the number of members has no real relationship with the number of actual human beings or the number of actual contributors.  Where it gets really fun is that those three numbers can be mutually exclusive thanks to bot accounts, dead accounts, and groups that allow non-members to post.

Look at the actual activity in that group, and you'll see it conforms much more closely to what you'd expect from a Robotech group dedicated to the fanbase's un-favorite saga.  They have about four active users, maybe fourteen if you count people who post once in a blue moon.  Not fourteen hundred.  Most of the group's activity is, as you'd expect, from two or three very dedicated users among whom are the group's administrator and everyone's favorite flesh-and-blood spambot and the ONLY Japanese Southern Cross fan Yuasa-san.

To be fair, it wouldn't be surprising if a lot of those 1,400 members are bots or dead accounts... those two categories seem to make up a plurality if not a majority of all Facebook user accounts these days.

4 hours ago, jeniusornome said:

i sometimes wonder: maybe the Robotech fans who can’t acknowledge that the show was just another poorly written import hack job like Voltron, Tranzor Z (Mazinger) and etc are just going on what they remember and haven’t actually watched it in 30ish years.

anyways, point is, I get why you guys don’t like Dana. But the version I remember from 30 ish years ago is still one of my favorites (She just doesn’t actually exist).

THIS!

Now, in all seriousness... one of Robotech's biggest stumbling blocks as a franchise is that most of its fans don't actually like Robotech.  What the Robotech fanbase is obsessed with, as a result of going-on 35 years of failures and false starts, is not the Robotech series itself.  What the fandom is obsessed with are its collective rose-tinted memories of the Robotech TV series, twisted and warped by the action of imperfect recall and decades of wild theorizing and headcanon-ing every little detail of the story and setting.  The version of Robotech that the vast majority of the Robotech fan base loves simply doesn't exist outside of their own minds.  When forced to confront the gap between their recollections and objective reality, it causes a cognitive conflict that ends one of two ways.  They either walk away from the series after realizing that it doesn't stand up to their (fictive) memories of it, or they deny reality and insist that their recollections are accurate.  It makes it very difficult to have any kind of discussion with large portions of the Robotech fandom, since anything that challenges their imperfect recollections must be wrong in their eyes... and that includes more recent developments from the franchise's creative staff.

Sometimes, those fictive memories can be so wide of the mark that they bear no resemblance to the show or story at all.  One of the Robotech fans I was on pretty good terms with for a very long time sincerely believed that there was an early test broadcast cut where Stick/Scott killed Batra/Corg execution-style with a ride armor's missiles rather than shooting him down in a dogfight.  He would absolutely not hear of it that that memory was false and no such scene was ever animated.

7 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Is it really ripping off when Harmony Gold owns the rights to those Macross seasons?

... they don't, though.  Even if they did, it would still be a ripoff... but they don't, so it's copyright infringement and that's a crime.

Harmony Gold's license only covers the distribution and merchandising rights to the original 36 episode Super Dimension Fortress Macross TV series and to the two other unrelated TV anime series Genesis Climber MOSPEADA and Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross.  They have a second, separate license to just the merchandising rights for the Macross: Do You Remember Love? movie that they got c.2001 to prevent imports of higher-quality Macross VF-1 toys from threatening their then-pending Toynami VF-1 "Masterpiece Collection" line, but that's it.  They can't even use the designs of the original Macross series in new film works, they can only use them in merchandise like comic books, toys, or games.  They've got no rights to any other Macross title... because the company they license their rights from - Tatsunoko Production - also doesn't have any rights to subsequent Macross works.

(In fact, Tatsunoko once took Macross's owners Big West to court to claim they should at least be entitled to a share of the profits from subsequent Macross titles because they had worked on and partially funded production of the original series... an argument the court rejected completely, because Tatsunoko had only funded production not development and therefore had no rights to the intellectual property of the original series or the franchise.)

If you want a rip off look at Voltron: From the ashes that rips off the premise of Power Rangers SPD.

Ripoff recursion?

Honestly Harmony Gold has done such a terrible job at keeping it relevant and with Titan doing a terrible I wouldn't be too sad if Robotech went to bed for awhile or was sold off to someone competent.

It was basically never relevant... at the apex of its popularity it was only a middle-of-the-pack kids show with an unsuccessful toy line.  It was all downhill from there.

Nobody wants to buy the Robotech franchise from Harmony Gold because the only part of it that's worth anything are the Macross distribution and merchandising rights, and even that isn't worth much because the license doesn't include the rights that would let them use the Macross designs in derivative works like a new TV show or movie.  It would only be valuable to someone who intended to scuttle the not-so-good ship Robotech and negotiate with Macross's owners in Japan to bring the rest of the Macross franchise over.

Spoiler Alert for Robotech Remix Issue 3 January 2020

Spoiler

1. Karen Penn pilots the mecha of the inter-dimensional fugitive to save Jack Baker from the Zombie Zentreadi. Three Zombie Zentreadi chase the mecha but it has a shadow technology cloaking device which evades the Zombie Zentreadi. They land at Jack Baker’s house.

2. Miriya recognizes Frudah Arminius Blanc but he knocks her unconscious before she names him (likely as Zor?). In an allusion to DYRL? he admires her bloodied and prone body and he utters the word beautiful.

3. Dana is a captain.

4. Vince and Jean Grant call from space to speak with Bowie but he is not home. Dana has a flashback to her original timeline in which Bowie references Musica.

5. Bowie makes a reference to Joe Hisaishi who composed music for MOSPEADA.

6. In the previous Titan series a character named Persy Satori replaced Ben Dixon after his death. The character cast page of this Remix series lists twins named Nova and Aurora Sterling identified as Max’s children. The mother’s name is blacked out. Aurora is female which is consistent with Robotech canon. However, Nova is a male. It can be suspected Max and Persy have had children and in this splinter timeline Nova is now male. An element of protoculture mysticism is implied as a pollinator is constantly perched on Aurora. However, with two human parents she should have no mystical powers as Miriya is not her mother.

7. Dana arrives at the Baker’s house looking for Bowie. She finds Rick injured who musters the energy to attempt to choke Dana to death as he yells how Dana “killed them all.”

Spoiler Alert for a backup story in Robotech Remix Issue 3 January 2020 framed as a MBS TV show titled Pop Star Sleepover.

Spoiler

1. Aahna breaks the fourth wall and addresses the reader of this comic stating her Rick Hunter would never choke Dana. She states she is watching this comic series as a television show. In Aahna’s timeline she is hosting an after show or wrap up television show commenting on the Remix comic television show. This somewhat recalls Kawamori’s metafictional explanation of Macross canon as fictional in-universe portrayals of unseen non-fictional in-universe events.

2. She explains Rick can see through spacetime and open portals to other universes. She explains Minmei died in a senseless accident that changed Rick’s life and unified Humans and Zentreadi. A portrait of Minmei’s funeral is seen showing full size Zentreadi and Rick in attendance.

3. She suspects this murderous Rick is a third Rick. The first scarred and gray haired Shadow Chronicles Rick from Dana’s timeline sent the SDF-3 back to a Macross Island on which Zor’s fortress never crashed beginning events for the second Rick in this splinter timeline who has gone missing in Remix.

4. Aahna speculates there may be multiple Ricks. One of them might be exploring Altira, but maybe his name is not Rick. She is not sure of his name because she cannot understand the movie as it never has any subtitles. (In her dialogue she makes a metafictional jump from in-universe Remix speculation to a DYRL? allusion by inconsistently blurring her Rick with Hikaru of DYRL? and blurring the Robotech franchise with the Macross franchise by sneakily swapping fictional settings in an attempt to achieve out-of-universe mockery.) Her television plays the final scene of Episode 36.

5. The metafiction comments on its own metafiction by destroying the framing device of this being an after show or wrap up show when the cameraman sets down his equipment, sits next to Aahna, and eats popcorn. He upsets Aahna when he states Rick marries Lisa in every universe so Aahna beats him up and destroys the room because she has a romantic crush on Rick.

To summarize, at first glance this comic appears to be a comic book. Next, the panels are portrayed as a TV show as Aahna defines the readers as viewers and comments on the comic’s events as if they are a TV show being broadcast in a universe shared by both her and the readers of this comic. Then the panels are portrayed as comic panels again or the readers’ first person observation of events when the cameraman sets down his equipment acknowledging the out-of-universe readers. Then the panels are reframed as Aahna records from a selfie point of view reframing the panels as a broadcast TV show. The inconsistency is in allowing the readers access to the panels in which the cameraman set down his equipment unless this is a television set within a television set and Aahna’s selfie footage is an in-universe scripted stylistic choice. Without this set within a set the inconsistency would be the out-of-universe comic readers have access to panels not broadcast to unseen in-universe television audience viewers. This is similar to out-of-universe viewers viewing the hand of a nonfictional live-action Misa turning the pages of Hikaru’s photo album in the closing credits for Episodes 1 to 36. Unless, the nonfictional events of the Macross franchise take place in a live-action universe and this live-action hand was an actress portraying Misa for a non-fictional live-action in-universe audience sharing the same timeline and universe as the still unseen nonfictional Misa, the metafiction of Episodes 1 to 36 becomes inconsistent.

29 minutes ago, Brofessor said:

Spoiler Alert for a backup story in Robotech Remix Issue 3 January 2020 framed as a MBS TV show titled Pop Star Sleepover.

Hide contents

2. She explains Rick can see through spacetime and open portals to other universes. She explains Minmei died in a senseless accident that changed Rick’s life and unified Humans and Zentreadi. A portrait of Minmei’s funeral is seen showing full size Zentreadi and Rick in attendance.

Wow. Another "frakk You" to Max and Miriya fans. Their wedding [and birth of Dana] was the pivotal moment in uniting the Humans and Zentreadis.  I swear this series is fanfiction by a Rick fanboy. As if the borderline Mary-Sue didn't have enough feats in the original series. They had to steal Max's to give to him and make him and Minmei even more pivotal.

15 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

They either walk away from the series after realizing that it doesn't stand up to their (fictive) memories of it, or they deny reality and insist that their recollections are accurate.  It makes it very difficult to have any kind of discussion with large portions of the Robotech fandom, since anything that challenges their imperfect recollections must be wrong in their eyes... and that includes more recent developments from the franchise's creative staff.

So true... in fact, this is an image A ROBOTECH FAN posted in one of the Groups that I'm a member too... (I would link the discussion but I blocked that user)

sdfdf.png

So they just keep convoluting and watering down Robotech into a dirty slurry. What a hot mess.. And still ripping off DYRL . (Do these guys believe they're paying homage? ) can't keep track and don't even care. 

27 minutes ago, Bolt said:

So they just keep convoluting and watering down Robotech into a dirty slurry. What a hot mess.. And still ripping off DYRL . (Do these guys believe they're paying homage? ) can't keep track and don't even care. 

Hard to tell how much of DYRL they're using since we never saw Rick or Max's VF-1Ss. 

2 hours ago, Brofessor said:

1. Karen Penn pilots the mecha of the inter-dimensional fugitive to save Jack Baker from the Zombie Zentreadi. Three Zombie Zentreadi chase the mecha but it has a shadow technology cloaking device which evades the Zombie Zentreadi. They land at Jack Baker’s house.

So... our key takeaway here is that Robotech zombies see by radar instead of with their eyes?

7. Dana arrives at the Baker’s house looking for Bowie. She finds Rick injured who musters the energy to attempt to choke Dana to death as he yells how Dana “killed them all.”

Well, he's not wrong... in Robotech, Dana did get pretty much everyone killed when she f*cked up hard enough that she caused a third alien invasion of Earth that got the entire rest of Earth's military massacred and cost the lives of like 2/3 of the offworld forces.

Let's be honest, for most anyone who actually watched Robotech's Masters Saga or Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross, having Dana/Jeanne strangled to death by a much less stupid character would be the best thing that ever happened in connection with that unlamented waste of a story.

1. Aahna breaks the fourth wall and addresses the reader of this comic stating her Rick Hunter would never choke Dana. She states she is watching this comic series as a television show. In Aahna’s timeline she is hosting an after show or wrap up television show commenting on the Remix comic television show. This somewhat recalls Kawamori’s metafictional explanation of Macross canon as fictional in-universe portrayals of unseen non-fictional in-universe events.

As ever, you're probably reading too much into it. 

Titan is taking the same approach to Robotech as previous publishers, and just blindly copying anything and everything they think is popular in the hopes that some combination of ripoffs will strike a chord with their readers.  A fourth wall-breaking recap gatefold has been a staple of several different comics for ages... most iconically for Deadpool.

2. She explains Rick can see through spacetime and open portals to other universes.

So Rick is Wesley Crusher now?

To summarize, at first glance this comic appears to be a comic book.

... it is a comic book.  A badly written, badly drawn comic book.  They're basically just ripping off Deadpool's framing device by giving a character contextual medium-awareness.

You are putting WAY more thought into this crap than the people who make it did.

55 minutes ago, Gerli said:

So true... in fact, this is an image A ROBOTECH FAN posted in one of the Groups that I'm a member too... (I would link the discussion but I blocked that user)

sdfdf.png

... that's just sad.  And rather atypical for a Robotech fan too.  Most of the Robotech lifers hate Harmony Gold almost as much as fans of MacrossTransformers, or BattleTech do, as the result of their efforts to reboot Robotech or simply that they've dismissed their personal fan theory or their favorite badly-written comic.  I'd have expected it to be a photo of Macek, since Robotech fans believe he was a genius despite a mountain of evidence to the contrary in the same way Scientologists believe L. Ron Hubbard wasn't a drooling simpleton.

8 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Yup... but that's nothing new.  Robotech comic book writers have been doing that almost from the very beginning, with Comico being the only real exception.  Each new licensee was progressively more creatively bankrupt than the last and relied increasingly on ripping off other series and franchises to fill page count.  We've gotten to watch this happening in an incredibly compressed timescale at Titan, with them having essentially gone from Eternity/Malibu levels of incompetent to Antarctic Press levels of incompetent in the space of less than a year.

Like everything Robotech does, Robotech Remix is simply decades behind the curve.  This kind of meta commentary on the medium and source material was really popular, funny, and innovative... in the late 1990s when Marvel's Deadpool and DC's Joker were doing it.  It aged like milk, for the most part.  It's pretty clear that the people working on Robotech Remix either prefer Macross or recognize that even Robotech fans don't like Southern Cross and have very little interest in MOSPEADA.  They probably think what they're doing is a homage or a thinly disguised meta-complaint about Macross features not being available in the west via legitimate channels.... possibly even another stealth critique of Robotech's various bad habits like when they had Dana take cheap shots at the idea that the Legioss would be a replacement for the Valkyrie.  Some Robotech fans would probably read it as attempted cheap shots at Macross, but then they've been desperately battling an inferiority complex on that front for decades.

On 3/14/2020 at 7:47 PM, jeniusornome said:

few things were not as I remembered. Minmay was whinier, Dana was whinier, Rick was whinier, Bowie was whinier, Scott was whinier...

That is exactly how I perceived them from the beginning - one of the reasons I preferred the aliens.

On 3/15/2020 at 1:02 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

bring the rest of the Macross franchise over.

Meaning Macross 2, DYRL, Plus and Frontier I take it?

Let's face it Delta and Mac 7 are nothing to brag about (while watching 7 I kept wishing the Protodevlin would go back to DBZ or Biobooster Armour Guyver where they belong).

Edited by Podtastic

6 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Let's face it Delta and Mac 7 are nothing to brag about (while watching 7 I kept wishing the Protodevlin would go back to DBZ or Biobooster Armour Guyver where they belong).

Says the conveniently late guy with the unfulfilled Zentradi fetish and ideal version of Robotech that only exists in his head at this point.

2 minutes ago, Einherjar said:

Says the conveniently late guy with the unfulfilled Zentradi fetish and ideal version of Robotech that only exists in his head at this point.

Hey, c'mon...  If it weren't for Robotech, this forum probably wouldn't even exist... and if it weren't for the ideal version of Macross that only exists in our heads, we probably wouldn't spend so much time and money trying to chase it.  Rose-colored nostalgia fuels most of our toy purchases, be it Transformers, Star Wars, or Robotech Macross and Mospeada.  :p

6 hours ago, Podtastic said:

People love Mobile Fighter G Gundam... I suspect Macross 7 would get a similar reception, given that it's exactly the same over-the-top retro-camp hamstravaganza from the same era.

Macross Delta might be a harder sell, but only because of the barely-there plot that is so transparently copying Macross Frontier's homework... the waifu crowd will eat it up, though, so no worries there.

Just now, tekering said:

Hey, c'mon...  If it weren't for Robotech, this forum probably wouldn't even exist... and if it weren't for the ideal version of Macross that only exists in our heads, we probably wouldn't spend so much time and money trying to chase it.  

Speak for yourself... I'm all about the objective data.