Robotech and REMIX by Titan Comics

Old_Nash

20 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

See, just this.  It's like a timey-wimey buffet of tropes.  It might be an unmitigated train wreck, but at least half of the cars are filled with glitter, cream pies, and clowns.

Sure, the problem is the other half are filled with untreated sewage, hospital waste, and depleted uranium... and we're watching the train wreck in super-slow motion, so it's taking forever for the last bits of shrapnel to finally come down.

16 hours ago, Bolt said:

“Admiral” Rick Hunter looks like he was hitting the bottle pretty hard before doing that bridge scene..:mellow:

After all the crap this franchise has put him through, anyone would.

16 hours ago, Einherjar said:

And people are mad at the final season of Game of Thrones.  Get over yourselves.

Game of Thrones was actually good for a good while there... so its fans being livid over what it's devolved into is a lot more understandable than, say, expecting quality from a franchise that's known for little else besides epic failure.

On 5/16/2019 at 5:19 PM, JB0 said:

Just because it isn't the worst possible thing doesn't mean it isn't still terrible and possibly a betrayal of the fans.

Season 1 ended with character X dying, followed by characters Y, Z, A, B, C, D, E... The only difference is that some people had time to prepare for some of those things happening.

Anyway, if the legalities aren’t resolved in a few years, the franchise might end with this as the grand finale.  A.k.a. the McKinneyists won.  Not sure if it’s something to gloat about considering the “quality” art and storytelling the staff will try and execute it with.  They should have just gone with an actual reboot instead.

I think Furman is borrowing ideas from the novels (which, full disclosure, I loved... when I read them in my tweens), but, at the end of the day, I don't think this is about the original series or the books. This is meant (in my opinion) to bring in new fans. I think they hired Furman because of what he did at IDW: he did the original launch of Transformers for IDW, bringing in a new generation of fans and creating a new universe with new mythologies, totally separate from even his own previous Marvel work. Really, only the character names were the same. This worked for new fans, and he ideas were actually interesting enough where old fans were able to enjoy it as its own, separate, unrelated thing.

The difference is, he had unexpected ideas then, and he seemed to genuinely care about what he was working on. This time... he's just sitting with his laptop in a pub, writing out just enough words to pay for the next round of beer.

• 4 weeks later...

Torture Monthly

Robotech #21 Hell.... It's only a warm room.

The cover.... man!

054_000.thumb.jpg.47f296813dbe3e610a4b46154373d5d8.jpg

Days of Future Past-Esque

054_003.thumb.jpg.7e9b9ba79b6c9138b546ff7a7fe4b8fe.jpg

The most BAD Explaination about Sound Force ever...

054_007.thumb.jpg.c82a4e3d60ea5778cea02f7b200087a6.jpg

I'm Batman!

054_009.thumb.jpg.921e36fe0c76f1b18c1ecd3af5ad70a8.jpg

Future Vision Mission!

054_015.thumb.jpg.1fbc691a8a28f70292dcc2e246e61413.jpg

Dana Sterling: Come with me if you want to live

054_016.thumb.jpg.e5235506ccc30ceb3b76fd37075f7b63.jpg

Invid Plot

054_020.thumb.jpg.e8c1b8877ff6d1756e9af99817b7ad8f.jpg

Robotech: Invid War

054_021.thumb.jpg.7efec6043cff73bf6483a46c08635bc4.jpg

Invid Rush" (?)

054_022.thumb.jpg.80c2a9f6668c17c39f9173d2cd5ce7c0.jpg

The edition continues with a 2-page story about a pastiche of Sharon Apple' Lynn Minmay

054_023.thumb.jpg.97224a49209c7ea2f9d0d81aa74e84af.jpg

16 minutes ago, Old_Nash said:

054_003.thumb.jpg.7e9b9ba79b6c9138b546ff7a7fe4b8fe.jpg

All the other junk aside (including the HALO rip-off), I actually kinda dig the slight Invid redesign here. Fits in with Sentinel's ride armors.

1 minute ago, F-ZeroOne said:

Master Chief called, he'd like the armour back thanks.

Exactly what I thought.

The artists are lucky that there's so many games and toys to crib (trace) from.

They're referencing Robotech 3000... 

Stop and appreciate that fact.

THEY'RE REFERENCING ROBOTECH 3000.

The worst failure in the Robotech franchise's history... prior to Robotech Academy, anyway.  An ill-conceived series concept so appallingly bad that even the legendarily low standards of the Robotech fandom couldn't stretch far enough to pretend it wasn't utter garbage.

This isn't scraping the bottom of the barrel anymore... they're a couple kilometers down into bedrock and continuing to dig.

10 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

They're referencing Robotech 3000... 

Stop and appreciate that fact.

THEY'RE REFERENCING ROBOTECH 3000.

The worst failure in the Robotech franchise's history... prior to Robotech Academy, anyway.  An ill-conceived series concept so appallingly bad that even the legendarily low standards of the Robotech fandom couldn't stretch far enough to pretend it wasn't utter garbage.

This isn't scraping the bottom of the barrel anymore... they're a couple kilometers down into bedrock and continuing to dig.

HALO came to mind first but yeah that's Robotech 3000... when you're truly desperate for ideas. 

The ship, character names, and scenario (machines revolting after evolving from protoculture) are from Robotech 3000. the armor is straight-up HALO.

f6c80490.jpg.d05e486bfcd3264d13f27d040e3752d3.jpg

Honestly, I don't have an issue with the RT 3000 reference (though, not having read the comic, I might feel different in context). If (and it's a big IF) you're a serious RT fan, I'm sure you'd love this kind of a reference.  It would be like reading a Doctor Who comic and seeing a reference to K9 & Company.

We have to remember that most of us on this forum are NOT the target audience of this comic. It's meant for new kids who don't know any better, and people who log in to the Robotech.com forums and type in all caps.

8 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

If (and it's a big IF) you're a serious RT fan, I'm sure you'd love this kind of a reference.

Even serious Robotech fans don't like Robotech 3000... that was literally why it was cancelled after just one trailer.  Harmony Gold and Netter Digital showed the trailer at a few cons and the fan response was so overwhelmingly, vehemently, unilaterally negative that Harmony Gold cancelled the series and then cancelled the series AGAIN when Carl Macek attempted to revive it as a traditionally-animated property.  It was so universally scorned that even Carl "I meant to do that" Macek admitted the series was a mistake in his foreword for the Shadow Chronicles artbook.

Its one and only defender was the late khyron_prime, who built a website devoted to an insane conspiracy theory that the series was cancelled because members of the Netter Digital staff sabotaged it during production as part of some internal power struggle rather than because the fans rejected it outright.

27 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

HALO came to mind first but yeah that's Robotech 3000... when you're truly desperate for ideas. 

Yeah, the armor is totally Halo... not the first time this dreadful tome has done that either.

Well, except for the cover at the top, I actually like the art.  The Invid look badass.  Dana's new face and hairstyle is a welcome change too.

I'm not following the story, but it looks like they've completely abandoned telling a warped version of Macross Saga, and have instead decided to go all Robotech multiverse timey whimey stuff.  

Magically face-shifting characters (who is that on the cover? :p), and the wholesale 30 WTF pileup aside, I hate to admit, but I do kind of like where they're going with the story, just from a conceptual perspective.  I think a lot of that has to do with sheer confused curiosity though, and general unfamiliarity with the franchise, since I never watched Robotech to begin with.

I'll have to dig up the comic and read through the last few issues, see what kind of gordian pretzel they're making out of the timeline.

Seriously, the thing this most reminds me of is that time loop episode of Sealab 2021, where every time the loop repeats, they lock the responsible characters in a room together (with all of their past iterations), and every loop gets more and more warped.  It's also kind of like a cross between the TNG episodes "Cause and Effect" and "Parallels", where instead of resolving the time loop, you wind up with all of the disparate loops converging into one 30 reality pileup.

Gotta love how they've evolved the macguffin into something that does everything from time travel, to granting superpowers. :lol: 

39 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Seriously, the thing this most reminds me of is that time loop episode of Sealab 2021, where every time the loop repeats, they lock the responsible characters in a room together (with all of their past iterations), and every loop gets more and more warped.  It's also kind of like a cross between the TNG episodes "Cause and Effect" and "Parallels", where instead of resolving the time loop, you wind up with all of the disparate loops converging into one 30 reality pileup.

Gotta love how they've evolved the macguffin into something that does everything from time travel, to granting superpowers. :lol: 

That reminds me of that great sitcom, Too Many Cooks, remember that?

Edited by Mazinger

46 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Also, Orguss!

43 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

If anything, it's even more convoluted since they've got multiple realities apparently all repeating the same time loop with different variations and at least one of them is invading the others deliberately just to be a dick.

It's like a fifty soap opera pileup in terms of the number of lame cliches being thrown out, from evil twins to fake deaths...

43 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

They've basically just taken it back to how it was before Harmony Gold rebooted Robotech in '01.

Back in the late 80's and the 90's, it was a macguffin that could do pretty much anything.  Carl Macek's explanation of it was more or less straight-up magic.  The energy produced by the "Flowers of Life" was actual life force being drained from the flowers of life and the cancelled Robotech 3000 series would have revealed that the stuff was straight-up self-aware and would rebel against the abuse of its power (the plot of the cancelled series).  Using it to power things like mecha made them pseudo-living, which was the explanation given for how they were able to maneuver like living things.

The novelization took it even further and made it into, for all intents and purposes, The Force from Star Wars... something that had apparent power over causality itself, granted psychic powers, facilitated time travel, and had an omniscient will of its own.

When Harmony Gold rebooted Robotech in 2001 in an attempt to reinvent it as a viable mainstream mecha anime property, it was de-mysticized into nothing more than a highly versatile material that could be used in energy generation (not unlike petroleum).

Are we to assume "Planet LV-427" is in the vicinity of LV-426, and that they're setting up a crossover with the ALIEN franchise?

5 hours ago, Knight26 said:

This has gone so far off the rails I don't think they're even on land anymore.

a72383e8.jpg

11 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

All the other junk aside (including the HALO rip-off), I actually kinda dig the slight Invid redesign here. Fits in with Sentinel's ride armors.

The artwork has improved again but I'm not a fan of angularising a curvy design. 

At least those Invid with the Regis now actually look like Invid from the Sentinels rather than Dire Wraiths. Sad that she doesn't have her proper gloves though.

Spoiler Alert for Issue 18 April 2019

Spoiler

1.  Dolza folds into Earth space.  His command fortress resembles the Robotech Factory Satellite.

2.  The characters believe Roy was killed in the last issue and Captain Lisa Hayes promotes Rick Hunter to Commander.

3.  While Rick has an advanced mutant eyesight, Minmei now seems to have mind control or the power to be taken very literally.

4.  Dr. Lang dissects an Invid Scout Trooper mecha and the Invid pilot is morphing into a human form of an Invid.

5.  Good Roy finds a clone of Captian Gloval in a cloning chamber.

6.  Breetai, Miriya, Kazianna, and Exedore are micronized.

7.  Dolza destroys Los Angeles.

Edited by Brofessor
detail

If Orguss taught me anything, to fix all of these problems you need to create a time/space paradox by finding the idiosyncratic point and forcing them to kill their past self.  That should make everyone happy, except maybe T. R. Edwards.  Screw that guy.

That being said, with all the time/space shenanigans going on, it’s weird that the staff would choose to spend some pages on Minmay. :rolleyes:

Edited by Einherjar

33 minutes ago, Einherjar said:

If Orguss taught me anything, to fix all of these problems you need to create a time/space paradox by finding the idiosyncratic point and forcing them to kill their past self.  That should make everyone happy, except maybe T. R. Edwards.  Screw that guy.

Alternatively, you can just fire the writers.

1 hour ago, GabrielV said:

The invid in that big portal shot, the flying ones, they don't look like revamps of the Scout or even the Trooper.   They look kinda like a certain type of Paranoid mecha from Gall Force: Eternal Story.  

Why not, Robotech's stolen from everyone else at this point, and the artists gotta trace something.

• 4 weeks later...

Robotech #22 - Revolting!

006_000.thumb.jpg.2fd7d49c7224754532ac939ab54526f5.jpg

Quick briefing

006_004.thumb.jpg.574378eac725c37d68e6427c94774ce9.jpg

First Ruler about Time Travel: No Spoilers!

006_009.thumb.jpg.217de8d2458cbd2363cbb280631607e4.jpg006_015.jpg.9eab8d8ac3064a38ab95577f0d41efe1.jpg

Robotech and his... Protoverse (read with voice of Cave Johnson XD)

006_007.thumb.jpg.e1db5c318395dfe0ace96a307254e2d8.jpg006_011.thumb.jpg.12b3f9eb76042109624026324874f117.jpg006_012.thumb.jpg.1499e56c0d678dd17ee00007d2e7d3b5.jpg

(I hope it don't be THAT EVE)

Spoiler

hqdefault.jpg

OK... Time to cancel this crap!

006_023.thumb.jpg.ba15310bfe7ad53e976dc9631080d9b5.jpg

Bonus Trash!

006_024.thumb.jpg.55c8a3be68022a85153210802dcd2ba6.jpg006_025.thumb.jpg.cd6c2a6a16211daa3ac01f9de0780ecc.jpg

Edited by Old_Nash

32 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Wanna-be halo dude saying “ they out firepower us”  is so wrong...

There’s so much wrong here,  it’s just off the rails..

It went off the rails ages ago. At this point, it fell into a river, and got washed so far out to see that they can't even SEE the rails. They aren't even sure which direction they'd have to go to find the rails again. And then they floated into a hurricane, and that's where we join them today.

7 hours ago, Bolt said:

Wanna-be halo dude saying “ they out firepower us  is so wrong...

There’s so much wrong here,  it’s just off the rails..

That's a stupid way of saying "We're outgunned"

Although I have no problem with a Gurab outgunning a Halo Spartan.

Dana isn't illustrated too badly though. I guess it's probably too much to hope that we will actually see a properly illustrated Zor Prime in his classic Bioroid pilot suit.

Edited by Podtastic