Robotech and REMIX by Titan Comics

Old_Nash

So, yeah, I have to say wow.  That looks like they went from drawing robot and airplane parts over humans, to tracing stuff out of Tenjin's books, or even drawing posed valk toys..  In fact, the proportions and details of that battroid look like they're drawing HMRs.

1 hour ago, tekering said:

At least the art has significantly improved.

...for now. DUN DUN DUNNNNN

9 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

So, yeah, I have to say wow.  That looks like they went from drawing robot and airplane parts over humans, to tracing stuff out of Tenjin's books, or even drawing posed valk toys..  In fact, the proportions and details of that battroid look like they're drawing HMRs.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, not that you were implying thus. Well, tracing someone's art for your own profit sure is, but I'm fairly sure you meant that figuratively. And considering the HMR is a Macross item (and a good one at that, from all the reviews arouns here), it's nice to see a bit of The Real One slip into this, if that is indeed the case. 

Oh absolutely, I don't think those are actually traced.  But it's clear that they're at least using actual VF-1 references, which is a huge step up from whatever fan design they seemed to be using before.

What does make me laugh a little is copying toys verbatim though.  It'd be like using a Figma as a posing aid, and then giving a human being ball-jointed ankles. :lol:

8 hours ago, kajnrig said:

[...] it's nice to see a bit of The Real One slip into this, if that is indeed the case. 

Eh... I think I preferred it when they were at least trying to do something original even if it was stupid and ugly.

Now we're headed back to the same old lazy imitation-brand Macross shlock they've been peddling since Harmony Gold "rebooted" the Robotech franchise back in '01.

8 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Oh absolutely, I don't think those are actually traced.  But it's clear that they're at least using actual VF-1 references, which is a huge step up from whatever fan design they seemed to be using before.

Amusingly, Titan Comics went to a lot of trouble for that hideous fan design they were using before.

They went to the trouble of looking around the web for "inspiration" while planning out the comics, stole that fan design and used it without the artist's knowledge or permission, and then ended up paying the artist for post facto permission to use the design.

4 hours ago, Einherjar said:

Who is the target audience for this?

Robotech fans.  There is no other audience for Robotech-branded anything.

5 hours ago, JB0 said:

I think you typoed there. Surely at this point there's only one.

Lol. 

If you mean me then they  would have failed even more stupendously than they actually have. If I was the target audience I 'd want the following changes:

1) Scrap this story. Make it all about the Zentraedi battling the Invid.

2) Replace the writer/s with Dan Abnet. Have the Zentraedi commanders actually use the experience they should have gained  to utilise decent " spacewar tactics."

3) Make it entirely painted by Sergio Quijada, or  an artist of equal calibre (there are a great many fantastic artists out there).

4) Use the classic designs with some DYRL mecha thrown in.

5)  Have massive ground battles and fleet engagements. Lots of beauty  shots of the mecha and armour etc.

Or else don't bother.:lazy:

Okay, the writer thing... it isn't like they have a completely inept writing team, despite all evidence to the contrary.

Which makes me wonder... Is Simon Furman actually working on this, or are they just trying to blackmail him by attaching his name to their drek?

That said... HG, fire everyone you have currently and put Podtastic in sole creative charge of the Robotech franchise. He has a vision and a path to get there, which is more than we can say for whoever is at the helm currently.

6 hours ago, Podtastic said:

1) Scrap this story. Make it all about the Zentraedi battling the Invid.

Well, thank goodness it's not you they're marketing this comic to... Robotech is used to failure, but "canceled after one issue" over a story even Robotech fans don't want would be a new low water mark for the franchise. 

6 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Or else don't bother.:lazy:

Please apply for the Creative Director position at Harmony Gold at your earliest convenience.  With your Magoo-like creative vision, they could finish flying the franchise into the ground by year end!

2 minutes ago, JB0 said:

Okay, the writer thing... it isn't like they have a completely inept writing team, despite all evidence to the contrary.

You wouldn't know it from reading the comic... but I guess there's little immediate difference between a good writer phoning it in and a bad writer actually trying.

2 minutes ago, JB0 said:

Which makes me wonder... Is Simon Furman actually working on this, or are they just trying to blackmail him by attaching his name to their drek?

Programmers have a saying "Garbage in, Garbage out".  If your input is bad, you won't get good output.

Robotech's plot wasn't exactly a fantastic story to begin with, and attempting to take it into "gritty" and "hardcore" territory was more than enough to put it into "garbage" territory.

2 minutes ago, JB0 said:

That said... HG, fire everyone you have currently and put Podtastic in sole creative charge of the Robotech franchise. He has a vision and a path to get there, which is more than we can say for whoever is at the helm currently.

It's a bit like saying you'd rather have Stevie Wonder as your chauffer instead of Ray Charles.

22 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

What does make me laugh a little is copying toys verbatim though.  It'd be like using a Figma as a posing aid, and then giving a human being ball-jointed ankles. :lol:

Lol, this.

2 hours ago, JB0 said:

Maybe he's working under restictions on what he can do with the story.  Like how Palladium Books used to have to run everything by Tommy Yune and HG legal for approval before going to print.  The old official website for Robotech used to have pretty strong restrictions on language and discussion topics to keep things kid friendly even though the average fan was like 35.

2 hours ago, JB0 said:

The people at HG who run the RT franchise handle things in a really cynical way but they at least understand their audience.  HG knows its brand is pure nostalga.  That's why they do retellings and side stories all the time instead of telling new stories.  Their fans just want the old familiar characters and stories they knew as kids.  Every time they try to tell new stories the fans get mad and it ends up a failure. 

Someone with such narrow and specific tastes isn't going to do better than what they already have running things, and will more likely do a lot worse.  A story has to have characters to develop.  You can't do that if you're telling the story of two factions which are made up of mass produced soldiers with no personality.  Also, the Zentradi fighting the Inbit is just silly.  The size difference is huge, it'd be like a war between people and coconut crabs.

13 minutes ago, BlackRose said:

A story has to have characters to develop.  You can't do that if you're telling the story of two factions which are made up of mass produced soldiers with no personality.  Also, the Zentradi fighting the Inbit is just silly.  The size difference is huge, it'd be like a war between people and coconut crabs.

Remember that this is the Robotech  Zentraedi,  not DYRL Zentradi. Breetai, Khyron and Exedore do have character development in the RT lore. Myria most certainly has personality. Also no reason why any Zentraedi comander/soldier wouldnt develop a personality (if they survive ) as the Clone Troopers did in Clone Wars, given that they are essentially from human stock. It would just be in a purely  military oriented context.

As to fighting the Invid, well,  the Invid adapt and evolve. They can adapt their mecha to fight giant antagonists just as the humies did.

What they would really require is a huge numerical boost.

8 minutes ago, Podtastic said:

Remember that this is the Robotech  Zentraedi,  not DYRL Zentradi. Breetai, Khyron and Exedore do have character development in the RT lore. Myria most certainly has personality.

Only after they discover Earth and are exposed to human culture... prior to that, they're not only just clone soldiers but literally have no frame of reference for anything outside of military affairs.

Remember, Harmony Gold summarily disowned all licensee-created materials created prior to 2001 when they rebooted the Robotech franchise.  None of the stuff about Breetai being ancient and one of Zor's bodyguards is canon.  He's just another interchangeable clone commander whose only real significance is that he was the one who found Earth first, just like in Macross.

10 minutes ago, Podtastic said:

As to fighting the Invid, well,  the Invid adapt and evolve. They can adapt their mecha to fight giant antagonists just as the humies did.

Well, yes and no... the Invid can adapt and evolve, but only with direct intervention by the Regess, a practice she didn't get into until after the Robotech Masters devastated the second Invid homeworld and which didn't produce any meaningful changes in her Invid until after she arrived on Earth.

So, theoretically they could... but canonically they didn't.

Mind you, old and current lore tends to suggest the Robotech Masters didn't so much fight against the Invid as roll up, flatten their planet from orbit after taking what they wanted, and then knock off for lunch.  They wouldn't have been able to offer any real fight regardless, since they didn't employ ranged weaponry widely until after occupying Earth, they're armored with crepe paper and wishful thinking, and they have exactly one starship with actual weaponry.  You can't have massive ground battles when one side didn't bring weapons, or massive fleet engagements when only one side has an actual fleet.  That's why old Robotech material basically ignored the Invid's backstory in favor of focusing on the Tirolians... they're boring.

2 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Remember that this is the Robotech  Zentraedi,  not DYRL Zentradi. Breetai, Khyron and Exedore do have character development in the RT lore. Myria most certainly has personality. Also no reason why any Zentraedi comander/soldier wouldnt develop a personality (if they survive ) as the Clone Troopers did in Clone Wars, given that they are essentially from human stock. It would just be in a purely  military oriented context.

DYRL Zentradi had racial memories of the Protoculture's culture and memories/legends of their vanished creators.  Robotech Zentradi are just clone soldiers following orders and we're talking about way before they got distracted by things they couldn't understand and started to think for themselves.

Thinking of everything only in military terms means they can't develop as characters.  That means they can't even grow the way the clone troopers in Star Wars did, because there are no non clone people around for them to learn from.

2 hours ago, Podtastic said:

What they would really require is a huge numerical boost.

Individual Invid don't even think.  They just blindly follow orders they get through the hive mind.

They also need lots of the flower of life to evolve and they didn't have that because the Masters took it all then ruined their planet so it wouldn't grow there anymore.  They're not the Vajra.

5 hours ago, BlackRose said:

The people at HG who run the RT franchise handle things in a really cynical way but they at least understand their audience.  HG knows its brand is pure nostalga.  That's why they do retellings and side stories all the time instead of telling new stories.  Their fans just want the old familiar characters and stories they knew as kids.  Every time they try to tell new stories the fans get mad and it ends up a failure. 

Also, the kickstarters killed all incentive to move forward with the franchise.

2 hours ago, Einherjar said:

Also, the kickstarters killed all incentive to move forward with the franchise.

Personally I think that HG's loss of faith in the series happened a lot earlier than that.

Tommy Yune made a lot of promises to his bosses about what RTSC was gonna do to revitalize RT's prospects.  It was supposed to legitimize RT as an original series in the industry's eyes.  It was supposed to make RT into a popular mainstream anime title.  It was supposed to bring in all kinds of new young fans who would buy all kinds of merch.  It was supposed to make the world take notice of RT.

When Tommy's baby didn't deliver on all of his promises and even people who were already RT fans mostly hated it, I think TPTB there at HG gave up on trying to do new stuff.  They threw a mil at it and got no real result so why bother?  The fans buy HG's bad Macross knockoff toys and posters no matter what.  Everything they did since then was like a half-assed job to convince us that the lights were still on in the RT department.  I don't think they really expected the Kickstarter to get funded.  I think they thought they could just go "Well we tried!" when it failed and talk about how they're still working on it for years at cons without having to spend any money or actually do any work.  I don't think even that failed tabletop game was meant to succeed and go past doing the Macross stuff.  They picked a scale that made it impossible to do the next parts.  Even this comic is totally obviously written to milk nostalgia for some quick money.  They even set it up so they don't have to continue the story past the Macross part because this version is a stable Macross only time loop.

I think the goal now is just to shake the fans down for as much cash as they can using nostalgia for Macross before the end of their license.

11 hours ago, BlackRose said:

They even set it up so they don't have to continue the story past the Macross part because this version is a stable Macross only time loop.

"We've ripped off everything else already, so what can we crib from Terminator?"

6 hours ago, JB0 said:

"We've ripped off everything else already, so what can we crib from Terminator?"

RT never could get anywhere when it was trying to be original anyway.

The less original it is the more RT fans like it.  Some of them even say that this comic changes too much from the TV series and is bad for that reason instead of because its writing and art suck.

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:31 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Only after they discover Earth and are exposed to human culture... prior to that, they're not only just clone soldiers but literally have no frame of reference for anything outside of military affairs.

Remember, Harmony Gold summarily disowned all licensee-created materials created prior to 2001 when they rebooted the Robotech franchise.  None of the stuff about Breetai being ancient and one of Zor's bodyguards is canon.  He's just another interchangeable clone commander whose only real significance is that he was the one who found Earth first, just like in Macross.

Well, yes and no... the Invid can adapt and evolve, but only with direct intervention by the Regess, a practice she didn't get into until after the Robotech Masters devastated the second Invid homeworld and which didn't produce any meaningful changes in her Invid until after she arrived on Earth.

So, theoretically they could... but canonically they didn't.

Mind you, old and current lore tends to suggest the Robotech Masters didn't so much fight against the Invid as roll up, flatten their planet from orbit after taking what they wanted, and then knock off for lunch.  They wouldn't have been able to offer any real fight regardless, since they didn't employ ranged weaponry widely until after occupying Earth, they're armored with crepe paper and wishful thinking, and they have exactly one starship with actual weaponry.  You can't have massive ground battles when one side didn't bring weapons, or massive fleet engagements when only one side has an actual fleet.  That's why old Robotech material basically ignored the Invid's backstory in favor of focusing on the Tirolians... they're boring.

Well I must admit to struggling with the notion that giant armoured soldiers fighting mechanised insectoid hive aliens is somehow more boring than earth humans in tights.

8 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Well I must admit to struggling with the notion that giant armoured soldiers fighting mechanised insectoid hive aliens is somehow more boring than earth humans in tights.

You're really struggling with the idea that stories need to have actual characters and a conflict the audience can be invested in on their behalf?  That's the basics of storytelling. :wacko:

You can't have any characters or character development when your entire cast is unthinking mooks with no personality and half of them are literally faceless.  There's no story to tell.  It's just literally mindless violence.

8 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Quite apart from the total lack of anything resembling a plot or characterization, there's the problem that the threat your typical Invid poses to an average Zentradi soldier is hilariously insignificant.

Let's look at this in a human scale for a moment. 

Your standard Zentradi soldier at human scale would be a person approximately 200cm tall (6'7.5") and somewhere on the order of 133kg (300lb) in peak physical condition.  He's got hardshell body armor and an infantry rifle with armor-piercing ammunition.

At that same scale, the Inbit Iigaa is roughly the size of a miniature poodle but rather less of a threat.  If you don't count the spiked corners of its shell it's only 0.4m (15") tall and weighs a whopping 45kg (99lb).  The full-size Iigaa is fragile enough to be brought down with the equivalent of a 9x19mm or light anti-personnel rockets.  In human scale, the Iigaa's shell is so brittle it could be killed easily with a BB gun or bottle rocket.  Its only weapons are a pair of blunt claws that are barely two inches long and have little chance of doing more than bruise.  The bigger, meaner Grab is no better off, in scale it's roughly the size of a three year old (1.02m/3'4.5") and weighs 68.8kg (152lb).  Its only weapons are four claws that are bigger but just as blunt as the Iigaa's, and could maybe give you a cut or a bigger bruise if you got hit really hard on bare skin.  The poodle's literally a bigger threat in either case, since at least it has teeth and can bite in addition to scratching.

See why this isn't a fight?  The worst the Invid have to offer is the equivalent of a dwarf with brass knuckles and brittle bone disease.  Even en masse they aren't really a threat, when they can be easily killed by stepping on them or kicking them.  Guns of any stripe would be overkill, like using a rifle meant for big game to deal with a racoon problem.  Armored fighting vehicles with fully automatic cannons officially takes the level of overkill to comical.  The Invid are only dangerous when they've got a massive numerical advantage, and that isn't a card they could play against the Zentradi who never go anywhere without their 7 billion best mates.

A totally one-sided war story is just BORING... doubly so if both sides are made up exclusively from interchangeable extras.

On 8/20/2018 at 10:16 AM, JB0 said:

I think you typoed there. Surely at this point there's only one.

Unfortunately I think there are still people who are buying this. Or else they would have stopped doing this already. I've come across promotional articles for this comic while browsing comics sites.

54 minutes ago, hachi said:

Unfortunately I think there are still people who are buying this. Or else they would have stopped doing this already. I've come across promotional articles for this comic while browsing comics sites.

Either they are buying it to laugh at the awful, or no one's buying and they keep making them as part of some sort of tax scam or money-laundering scheme. I don't see any other options.

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:35 PM, BlackRose said:

You're really struggling with the idea that stories need to have actual characters and a conflict the audience can be invested in on their behalf?  That's the basics of storytelling. :wacko:

You can't have any characters or character development when your entire cast is unthinking mooks with no personality and half of them are literally faceless.  There's no story to tell.  It's just literally mindless violence. 

If you observe the interactions between the Zentraedi characters its clear that they are not unthinking zombies as is being portrayed . They're certainly no harder to identify with than a Japanese/American teenager. And alien character focused stories have been done before in other genres.

This is a war story after all, I'm just wanting expanded scope and increased dakka rather than always being bogged down on the small scale in trivial relationships and gum-flapping.

Edited by Podtastic

Naahhhh. I avoid the new Titan comics like a plague. Call me fussy, but hey, I preferred the past decade's Wildstorm brand of Robotech comics (obviously because its canonical status in offical Robotech-verse).

OTOH, a comic on Zentraedi vs Invid .... will ultimately bored the hell outta me. I mean, unless the Invid Regent spammed his Inorganics drones against the Zentraedi, the manned Invid units (Iiga armored scouts and Gurab shock troopers) are frakked against fully armored Zentradi footsoldiers. If Battlepods get in the way, that would simply means overkill already.

I could only see a slim chance stand up fight between waves after waves of Invid Inorganic drones vs Zentraedi legions, to buy time for Invid hives to make quick getaway to deep space ... that if Invid hives are lucky enough to survived the orbital bombardment by Zentraedi armada hovering above planet sealing any escape pathways.

7 hours ago, Podtastic said:

If you observe the interactions between the Zentraedi characters its clear that they are not unthinking zombies as is being portrayed.

No, they're just as devoid of personality as the clone troopers in Star Wars: Attack of the Clones... all they know is how to be a soldier.  They're in the same tier of absent characterization options as the protagonist of the original Doom game. :p 

They're certainly no harder to identify with than a Japanese/American teenager. And alien character focused stories have been done before in other genres.

Where the alien characters had actual personalities and opportunities for character development... 

This is a war story after all, I'm just wanting expanded scope and increased dakka rather than always being bogged down on the small scale in trivial relationships and gum-flapping.

One of the porcupine's worth of points you're missing is that what you're describing is not a "war story" by any standard of measure.  It can't even be called a fight with a straight face.  It's just the Zentradi shooting defenseless animals.  If the Invid were sentient I'd call it a genocide, but all the regular Invid are mindless brainless drones controlled by the hive mind.

One of the other, bigger points you missed is that the characters are what people care about.  The fans don't give a tinker's damn about the Invid precisely because they're NOT characters, they're a bland, generic piece of set dressing.  The ONE THING that Robotech fans have been demanding of the franchise for the last three decades is "we want to know what happened to the characters who left on the SDF-3".

13 minutes ago, Protoculture said:

Naahhhh. I avoid the new Titan comics like a plague. Call me fussy, but hey, I preferred the past decade's Wildstorm brand of Robotech comics (obviously because its canonical status in offical Robotech-verse).

Most Robotech fans seem to take a similar view... and are only supporting the comic because it has the R-word on the cover.

13 minutes ago, Protoculture said:

OTOH, a comic on Zentraedi vs Invid .... will ultimately bored the hell outta me. I mean, unless the Invid Regent spammed his Inorganics drones against the Zentraedi, the manned Invid units (Iiga armored scouts and Gurab shock troopers) are frakked against fully armored Zentradi footsoldiers. If Battlepods get in the way, that would simply means overkill already.

The Inorganics have no ranged weaponry either... the only question is whether the turkey starring in the turkey shoot is alive or a badly-constructed robot.

All this talk of Zentraedi vs. Invid in a comic... reminds me of "Robotech Genesis: The Legend Of Zor" by Eternity Comics in 1992 (in colour, no less!): https://comicvine.gamespot.com/robotech-genesis-the-legend-of-zor/4050-35011/

If you need your fix of the Zentraedi bringing the bug spray on the Invid, this is it.  This is only it... seeing as it was released about 25 years ago, and no other publisher has really revisited it since then. :lol:

Here's a review with a "preview" of what Zentraedi vs. Invid looked like: http://sdf5x.blogspot.com/2010/07/day-twenty-five-legend-of-zor-6.html

(personally I enjoyed the sequence of the Zentraedi harvesting the Flower of Life on the Invid homeworld before the Invid militarized.  Seto Kaiba's done a good job illustrating the general idea of it.;))

On 8/23/2018 at 7:35 AM, BlackRose said:

"Defibrillator on legs" was used to compliment a girl here.  Can't say much about the character interactions or interpersonal relationships this comic is trying to build, it just makes me chuckle every time I think about that line.  :lol:

But speaking of defibrillators.

May 2018 Comic Book Sales to Comics Shops

Issue 9 - 7,022 sold

June 2018 Comic Book Sales to Comics Shops

Issue 10 - 6,664 sold

Volume 2 - 709 sold

July 2018 Comic Book Sales to Comics Shops

Issue 11 - 6,237 sold

16 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The Inorganics have no ranged weaponry either

That's not being without personality. My fave episodes of Clone Wars were those with just mainly the Clone Troopers and no/little Jedi.

Where the alien characters had actual personalities and opportunities for character development... 

Did I dream the interactions between Myria and Khyron, Mririya and Azonia, Azonia and Khyron? Even Grel and Geraro had personalities.

One of the other, bigger points you missed is that the characters are what people care about.  The fans don't give a tinker's damn about the Invid precisely because they're NOT characters, they're a bland, generic piece of set dressing.  The ONE THING that Robotech fans have been demanding of the franchise for the last three decades is "we want to know what happened to the characters who left on the SDF-3".

No I have not actually, I an painfully aware that others like the bog standard  humans for some reason.  But must I care?

The Inorganics have no ranged weaponry either

No the Odeons do have a sort of blaster. What do you mean either BTW,  did all the Invid annihilation cannons get stolen?

So how about we make the Invid mecha as they were depicted in the Prologue of the first RT novel - ITO size, armour etc ?  I think the Invid can be made formidable with a few strokes of the pen.

6 hours ago, sketchley said:

All this talk of Zentraedi vs. Invid in a comic... reminds me of "Robotech Genesis: The Legend Of Zor" by Eternity Comics in 1992 (in colour, no less!): https://comicvine.gamespot.com/robotech-genesis-the-legend-of-zor/4050-35011/

If you need your fix of the Zentraedi bringing the bug spray on the Invid, this is it.  This is only it... seeing as it was released about 25 years ago, and no other publisher has really revisited it since then. :lol: 

Here's a review with a "preview" of what Zentraedi vs. Invid looked like: http://sdf5x.blogspot.com/2010/07/day-twenty-five-legend-of-zor-6.html

(personally I enjoyed the sequence of the Zentraedi harvesting the Flower of Life on the Invid homeworld before the Invid militarized.  Seto Kaiba's done a good job illustrating the general idea of it.;))

I got my fix in the Ashes of Empire fan fiction which was kind of what I was looking for. Although that ends up being mainly Zentraedi vs Zentraedi, but it was still such a pleasure to read.

I also loved that harvester scene.^_^

17 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

he ONE THING that Robotech fans have been demanding of the franchise for the last three decades is "we want to know what happened to the characters who left on the SDF-3".

The SDF-3 is their Megaroad-1, after all.  People hate to accept that a story has come to an actual conclusion.

8 hours ago, Einherjar said:

"Defibrillator on legs" was used to compliment a girl here.  Can't say much about the character interactions or interpersonal relationships this comic is trying to build, it just makes me chuckle every time I think about that line.  :lol:

But speaking of defibrillators.

May 2018 Comic Book Sales to Comics Shops

Issue 9 - 7,022 sold 

June 2018 Comic Book Sales to Comics Shops

Issue 10 - 6,664 sold

Volume 2 - 709 sold

July 2018 Comic Book Sales to Comics Shops

Issue 11 - 6,237 sold

These are units sold to the comics shops, not necessarily individuals. Still I am surprised they are more than 5 thousand. ^_^;

If the profit per book is $1 (or even less) they still earn thousands of dollars per issue sold. <_<