Macross Live Action Movie Script

Fantastic find, I just saw the ebay auction! Crazy how things get tucked away from history. Kevin had some really incredible items during this golden age. He really made a great impact on a lot of fans outside of Japan. (I loved the Books Nippon collection I won from thewilburness, really took me back)

Someday would love to read the entire script, best of luck on the sale!

S

22 hours ago, terry the lone wolf said:

Gloval and not Global? Richie-Richard-Rick?

1 hour ago, Algebra Would Win said:

Yeah, I know there's been a Gloval and a Global in Macross history. Not sure what the connection is yet, but I will let you know if I find out (as I work through the script). Same for "Richie".

Brigadier General Bruno J. Global's name has, on a few occasions, been transliterated incorrectly as "Bruno J. Gloval" even in Japanese publications.  ("Global" is the official/correct form.)

Obviously the highest-profile example of this mistake is The-Show-That-Must-Not-Be-Named, but you can also find an example of it in This is Animation Special: Macross Plus.  The Variable Fighter Squadron Marking section the starts at page 83 at the back of the book has, on page 92, a VF-11C from the SVF-41 Black Aces that is marked up as being from CV-339 B.J. Gloval.  Other publications have affirmed that this is a misspelling and that the Uraga-class CV-339 is the Bruno J. Global.  

(Exactly why he merits two ships named for him is unclear, but may have something to do with the mass-produced Macross-class ships carrying the names of the UN Forces' top brass like the SDFN-1 General (Takashi) Hayase or SDFN-8 General Vrlitwhai Kridanik while the New UN Government carries on the tradition of the government's chief executive having carriers named for him e.g. ARMD-01 Harlan J. Niven and ARMD-14 Robert A. Rhysling.  Global did go into government after retiring from the UN Forces.)

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Now that I've read the posted script snippets several times, the dialogue is really awful. I can't explain why, because it feels like doing free quality checking for HG lol. And I don't mean to belittle the effort of the writer, but this script should be shredded like it never existed. :lol:

Edited by hachi
clarification

3 hours ago, hachi said:

Now that I've read the posted script snippets several times, the dialogue is really awful. I can't explain why, because it feels like doing free quality checking for HG lol. And I don't mean to belittle the effort of the writer, but this script should be shredded like it never existed. :lol:

Well, it is just a story treatment not a shooting script... those are usually pretty rough, since they're meant more to set the direction of the film's future development and provide an outline for a writer or group of writers to build on for creating the actual shooting script.

It's definitely bad, but as treatments go it's a lot less bad than ones I've read for big-name science fiction properties that went on to be wildly successful after much polishing.  Star Wars had a rough treatment penned by George Lucas that was so bad Harrison Ford told him "George, you can write this sh*t but you can't say it!".  Star Trek's story treatments are always a hoot.  Quite a few of the worst moments in TNG (many of them "Wesley" moments) were brought about by a writer's strike forcing the staff to use story treatments that had previously been rejected after minimal polishing and even several stories that had initially been earmarked for consolidation into a single episode.  The legendarily bad first season was the result of giving Gene a free hand to both submit his own story treatments and rewrite those by other writers.

EDIT: I have a copy of the Star Trek Voyager Season 1 writer's "bible" that makes this rough draft look like goddamn Shakespeare.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...