My Very Own Premium Finish Valkyries

no3Ljm

35 minutes ago, chyll2 said:

really beautiful work

Thanks chyll2! ^_^

26 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

That is one impressive looking VF-0S, the grey No-Steps blend in perfectly. 

Arcadia, are we seeing this? (Hint, hint) 

Thanks 505thAirborne! ;) I really do like the grey colored No Step on the VF-0S. Though IMHO it's kinda light for my taste. But it's not a biggie. ^_^

9 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Here's some updates on my VF-0S. Once I'm done using the grey colored NO STEP markings on the VF-0, I'll use the remaining red colored NO STEP from the VF-0 decal sheet to continue in my VF-1S. ^_^

p13pmxI.jpg

nlYnXB0.jpg

lgYj8Vf.jpg

lqZT2zR.jpg

eNSsK7l.jpg

Looks great! Glad they spelled NO STEP correctly on the 0 decals! :D

16 hours ago, sumyumgoy said:

Looks great!  Are you planning on taking it apart to apply the clear coat?

Yes, I'm going to topcoat it after applying panel lines to it. But sad to say, the VF-0's is not like the VF-1's that you can take the legs off from the tight joint easily without snapping some plastics and unscrewing the screws. :unsure:

11 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Looks great! Glad they spelled NO STEP correctly on the 0 decals! :D

Yes they did! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread Noel!

I missed it before (being away for a large part of the summer) but I too am looking for those white fast/super pack stenciling for the 1/60 toys.  Its great that you told us that unfortunately what I was looking for is incorrect on those decal sheets.  If you do find any alternatives do let us know.

I did laser print all the other markings onto decal film scaled up from Hasegawa decal scans and they worked great (as long as you are applying them onto a light coloured background)

As for the super thin panel lines, they are too shallow to hold a wash, however I've used a really sharp mechanical pencil (the 2mm kind with the rotary shapener) and it just falls into the crevices/panel lines nicely (if you make a mistake, you can use an eraser).  Then once its sealed under the top coat its fine, plus its a nice grey so its not too dark.

43 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

Great thread Noel!

I missed it before (being away for a large part of the summer) but I too am looking for those white fast/super pack stenciling for the 1/60 toys.  Its great that you told us that unfortunately what I was looking for is incorrect on those decal sheets.  If you do find any alternatives do let us know.

I did laser print all the other markings onto decal film scaled up from Hasegawa decal scans and they worked great (as long as you are applying them onto a light coloured background)

As for the super thin panel lines, they are too shallow to hold a wash, however I've used a really sharp mechanical pencil (the 2mm kind with the rotary shapener) and it just falls into the crevices/panel lines nicely (if you make a mistake, you can use an eraser).  Then once its sealed under the top coat its fine, plus its a nice grey so its not too dark.

Thanks Mr. Cheng! Yeah, too bad some of the markings that came with the one that I bought on eBay is mispelled. Good thing I didn't use the NO STEP red markings from the VF-0S. Now I have something to use for the VF-1S. ;)

And yes, I totally agree on the panel lines. They're too shallow. I was thinking of applying it with Flory's Panel wash but I haven't yet. Hopefully after the decals. The only area that I need to apply on the VF-0S is the top part of the chest and bottom legs in fighter mode. :)

1 hour ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

Noel, you are doing some impressive work here, both on the VF-1S and VF-0S. Glad you have the time and patience -- I don't think I would.

It's making me want to get a VF-0S, if the prices weren't so incredibly high.

Thank you sir! Though lately I can't find some time of doing it. Been busy at work for these last couple of months. Hopefully starting this weekend I can continue the VF-0S. ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Noel

After looking some more, actually Arcadia has some of the fast/super/strike packs labelled wrong in their sticker sheet and even on their Premium Finish models.  They lack the Hasegawa's designation "HMMP-02" for the forward missile section and the "RO-X24" for the strike cannons  - so those ebay waterslide decals merely copied Yamato/Arcadia's mistake.   I guess Hasegawa isn't really cannon either as they were never in any art books till the models came out.  So do you want to emulate the Premium Finish toys with the mistake or try to correct them (or maybe just do our own thing)?

The trick is can anyone help us purchase another Hasegawa 1/72 VF-1S Strike decals only in Japan and send those to us?

1 hour ago, wm cheng said:

Hey Noel

After looking some more, actually Arcadia has some of the fast/super/strike packs labelled wrong in their sticker sheet and even on their Premium Finish models.  They lack the Hasegawa's designation "HMMP-02" for the forward missile section and the "RO-X24" for the strike cannons  - so those ebay waterslide decals merely copied Yamato/Arcadia's mistake.   I guess Hasegawa isn't really cannon either as they were never in any art books till the models came out.  So do you want to emulate the Premium Finish toys with the mistake or try to correct them (or maybe just do our own thing)?

The trick is can anyone help us purchase another Hasegawa 1/72 VF-1S Strike decals only in Japan and send those to us?

Hey Mr.Cheng. I guess like I posted in your decal thread earlier, I'm kind of doing this my own thing since I'm mixing what it goes based on the instruction manual and adding some decal here and there based on the Master File books. But I just stopped since the Super Packs is not correct. I really don't mind if it's not correct as long that all of them should somehow have different designations rather than all of them have the same labeling as NP-001 or something.

So is Hasegawa somehow more correct with designations? If so, I might try and buy those 1/72 over eBay soon and see how it goes.

As for the Hasegawa VF-1S Strike you're referring to, is that the one for Battroid or  for Fighter?

Edited by no3Ljm

It looks like the Hasegawa ones are more correct, but the eBay 1/72 reproductions all lack the strike cannon's "RO-X24" designation because they just reproduced the VF-1A Super decal sheets even though the listing in eBay says they are VF-1S Strike.  It doesn't really matter whether its for the Battroid or Fighter since we're just really looking for the fast/strike packs which are on both modes - but all I can find on eBay are the Battroid decals - I couldn't find any Fighter mode.

4 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

It looks like the Hasegawa ones are more correct, but the eBay 1/72 reproductions all lack the strike cannon's "RO-X24" designation because they just reproduced the VF-1A Super decal sheets even though the listing in eBay says they are VF-1S Strike.  It doesn't really matter whether its for the Battroid or Fighter since we're just really looking for the fast/strike packs which are on both modes - but all I can find on eBay are the Battroid decals - I couldn't find any Fighter mode.

I see. Thanks for that info. I do have that old Hasegawa 1/72 VF-1S Strike Battroid from before but it's in the Philippines. I will try to ask my sister when she have time to have it scan so I can compare.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 2:36 AM, no3Ljm said:

This weekend I started applying those VF-1 waterslide decals that I bought from eBay weeks ago. I also tested my Airbrush set which I bought 4 years ago from Amazon. And to be honest, this is the first time I airbrush. I tested the airbrush for topcoating and so far I really like the outcome from the scrap kits that I have. ^_^

Anyways, I noticed that the graphics on the waterslide decals that I'm using is somehow thicker than the one supplied by Arcadia on their stand-alone 1/60 VF-1S Hikaru release (12/2013), the one that came with a stand. But I still decided to use that one since I'm also going to apply the waterslide decals that I purchased for the VF-0S too. Just to make it consistent. Besides, there's none that came with the VF-0S. So that's fine for me.

I'm also planning on adding some panel lines into it once the Flory Models washes arrives.

So hopefully, I'll try my best to update this thread once I finish applying decals parts by parts.

Note: Mods, sorry if I put this in the wrong section. But since it's just applying decals on a toy, I thought it's just safe to put it here. But feel free to move it to the proper section if ever. Thanks! ;)

So, without further ado, here it is.

Here's the finished legs from this weekend (7/23/17). And to be honest, applying decals on these two legs already took me 2 hours.

n0iAQbF.jpg?1

That micoset solution you used to seal your waterslide decals, can it be used on dry transfer decals?

5 minutes ago, VF-18S Hornet said:

That micoset solution you used to seal your waterslide decals, can it be used on dry transfer decals?

NO!  Microset is used to soften waterslide decals only (its not a sealant)  The Future (floor polish) topcoat sprayed over top after all the decals are applied and provides a hard clear acrylic gloss coat over the decals and it would work for dry transfer as well.  Don't use Microset or MicroSOL for dry transfer, my guess is it would dissolve the transfer.

1 hour ago, VF-18S Hornet said:

MicroSet nor MicroSol is not a sealant. Don't use the MicroSet for your decal transfers MicroSet is used to help the waterslide decals to adhere more.

Though I could suggest what Warhammer community uses for sealants if you're just doing handbrushing to cover your decals. It's called Citadel Lahmian Medium (Flat) and Citadel Ardcoat (Gloss). But I'm not 100% sure that it will work on Dry Transfer Decals. You can try some that you don't use from the sheet and apply a small amount to it.

Try to search for it thru YouTube and see what other people think of it. I've watched tons of videos to understand all of it before I started this Premium Finish road. (Though I really need to continue it inspite of busy schedule. :lol: )

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Hey noel why no updates in months? :(

You motivated me to start my own premium finish project though. :) Still a long way to go, though.

Sorry, man. Got busy for the last couple of months here at work's product launches. I'll continue it during Christmas break. Hopefully. ^_^

But it's good to see your detailed up VF-2SS. Once you emailed me a copy of that sheet, let me know what's the best shop to order the waterslide from.

By the way, was it easy to dismantle the figure? No prying up plastics?

That looks great Lolicon! (any reference on what goes on a VF-2SS?)

Now you've put a bee in my bonnet... great, another one on the line up.  I've stopped on my VF-1S too Noel - given up finding the right white stenciling on the fast packs, I think I might just make it up to look close.  Although just like Noel, with the holiday season, its now on the back burner for a bit.  Maybe I can live vicariously though you guys.

That's looking really good Lolicon! It's those extra decals that make the 2SS look so much better! (If you're using a clear coat on your VF, make sure you gloves when handling it, I did the same with my ET 2SS and ended up smudging it in places.) 

Noel. take your time and look forward to your VF-1 & 0S Valks as well! B))

9 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

But it's good to see your detailed up VF-2SS. Once you emailed me a copy of that sheet, let me know what's the best shop to order the waterslide from.

By the way, was it easy to dismantle the figure? No prying up plastics?

Yeah, it's pretty easy to dismantle. There's 4 screws you can remove, and everything comes apart pretty easily after that. It's just the legs and forward fuselage that appeared to be glued shut.

PM me with your email and I'll send the marking files your way.

8 hours ago, wm cheng said:

That looks great Lolicon! (any reference on what goes on a VF-2SS?)

Now you've put a bee in my bonnet... great, another one on the line up.  I've stopped on my VF-1S too Noel - given up finding the right white stenciling on the fast packs, I think I might just make it up to look close.  Although just like Noel, with the holiday season, its now on the back burner for a bit.  Maybe I can live vicariously though you guys.

Thanks! I couldn't find any good reference files for the VF-2SS markings, so I'm using the VF-1 as a starting point and just making it up as I go along. :rolleyes: 

Looking forward to seeing your VF-2SS! I think I may go with your suggestion of flat coating the SAP so they don't look like such cheap green plastic. HLJ actually has a bunch of the HiQ decals on sale so I picked up a few extra sheets.

5 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

That's looking really good Lolicon! It's those extra decals that make the 2SS look so much better! (If you're using a clear coat on your VF, make sure you gloves when handling it, I did the same with my ET 2SS and ended up smudging it in places.) 

Noel. take your time and look forward to your VF-1 & 0S Valks as well! B))

Thanks, sir. I haven't had any issues with clear coat smudging, but I also like to let it cure for at least 48 hours before handling it. But I do happen to have soft white gloves...

• 1 month later...

I envied @Lolicon for finishing his HMR VF-2SS first. So I finished decaling my VF-0S over this weekend. By the way, I really had fun doing this esp those big NO STEP markings. ;)

M4SMflS.jpg 

4OPILa1.jpg 

JdRtRyD.jpg 

qisRi1L.jpg 

3aMSPRA.jpg 

g3kMEEt.jpg 

CXAj0xz.jpg 

OiB1Zgr.jpg 

u9DeZ6P.jpg 

Hopefully next weekend, I get the chance on topcoating it so I can apply panel wash next. ^_^ 

Edited by no3Ljm

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

I envied @Lolicon for finishing his HMR VF-2SS first. So I finished decaling my VF-0S over this weekend. By the way, I really had fun doing this esp those big NO STEP markings. ;)

*snip*

Hopefully next weekend, I get the chance on topcoating it so I can apply panel wash next. ^_^ 

That looks awesome, no3L! If the premium edition from Arcadia looks half as good, it might even be worth the cost. :p

Looking forward to your panel lining! 

3 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

M4SMflS.jpg  

LOL! :lol:

I was going to add additional decals to my Arcadia PF, and I'm hoping it turns out half as well as yours! Yours looks friggin' amazing!! :shok:

You're using the master file book as reference? So many decals beyond what Arcadia will tampo print...

8 hours ago, Offswitch said:

That looks awesome, no3L! If the premium edition from Arcadia looks half as good, it might even be worth the cost. :p

Looking forward to your panel lining! 

Thanks Offswitch! I'm pretty sure Arcadia's version is much cleaner and crispier than mine. ;) 

6 hours ago, Lolicon said:

LOL! :lol:

I was going to add additional decals to my Arcadia PF, and I'm hoping it turns out half as well as yours! Yours looks friggin' amazing!! :shok:

You're using the master file book as reference? So many decals beyond what Arcadia will tampo print...

Thanks Lolicon! ;) Yup, I'm using the Master File book too for reference. So I guess I have more decals than what Arcadia have. What I did basically is apply majority what's in the sticker manual without contradicting the ones in the Master File. If I find some decal placements are off in certain areas, I try to put it somewhere near the original placement as per manual and the book and move a little bit away from a panel line area. Also, there's a lot of unused labels from the Arcadia sheet which is in the Master File so I wonder why they didn't put it in the sticker manual.

1 hour ago, wm cheng said:

Gorgeous!!!  Turned out so well.  Can't wait to see the paneled version.

Thanks Mr Cheng! ;) Let's hope I find the time of doing the topcoat first. But in the meantime, I might go back to Hikaru's VF-1S again while waiting for the weekend and apply unused red NO STEP markings from the VF-0S since the one that came with the VF-1 are NO STLF. ^_^ 

Quick question, is there any markings besides the U.N.SPACY for the leg's conformal tanks?

1 hour ago, seti88 said:

Wow such fantastic decalling! Nice one noel.

Clean is nice and would even leave it there, but for sure panel lining it would be even more awesome..

B)):good:

Thanks Seti! ;)  :good: Yeah, I have to agree. After all the decal work last night I was thinking if I should add panel lining since it already look nice as is. I guess, I just need to use a lighter color for panel lining so it will just add a little bit of accent and not ending up looking heavy and dirty. Probably more like a Gundam Fix Figuration look. Clean and crisp. 

By the way, I also thought about doing it weathered but I'm not into that yet. Don't want to ruin the whole decal ordeal. Hehehe. :lol: 

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

Thanks Seti! ;)  :good: Yeah, I have to agree. After all the decal work last night I was thinking if I should add panel lining since it already look nice as is. I guess, I just need to use a lighter color for panel lining so it will just add a little bit of accent and not ending up looking heavy and dirty. Probably more like a Gundam Fix Figuration look. Clean and crisp. 

By the way, I also thought about doing it weathered but I'm not into that yet. Don't want to ruin the whole decal ordeal. Hehehe. :lol: 

Definitely thin and crisp lines ftw! maintain the immaculate valk look! 

You still have the time to consider weathering? :rolleyes: else make it easy and weather the PF version instead :D

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

Quick question, is there any markings besides the U.N.SPACY for the leg's conformal tanks?

Yeah I think off the top of my head, there's the arrow near the front, red "DANGER" near all the nozzles, "BEWARE OF BLAST" at the end near the foot and one of those yellow warning data rectangles on the back calf as well as one of those Hasegawa fast pack designations; white "NP-FP-01" I believe.

1 hour ago, seti88 said:

Definitely thin and crisp lines ftw! maintain the immaculate valk look! 

You still have the time to consider weathering? :rolleyes: else make it easy and weather the PF version instead :D

Ha! Right now, I can say that I have more decals put than what Arcadia has to offer for sure. :lol: And labor of love my friend. Labor of love. ^_^ Besides, I'm more interested to have a GFF look for display. Clean and crisp. Now you made me think if I should use brown or bluish color for panel lining since that's what GFF have. Hmmmm. :rolleyes:

32 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

Yeah I think off the top of my head, there's the arrow near the front, red "DANGER" near all the nozzles, "BEWARE OF BLAST" at the end near the foot and one of those yellow warning data rectangles on the back calf as well as one of those Hasegawa fast pack designations; white "NP-FP-01" I believe.

I think that's for VF-1's, Mr Cheng. Sorry, I should've been more clearer earlier. I'm asking the ones for VF-0's. ;) 

On 2/5/2018 at 11:17 PM, Xigfrid said:

Your Vf-0S is truly beautiful, and this thread is inspiring!  It got me to buy some decals to detail up my destroid and if everything goes well I can continue on my VF-0S too

Thanks Xigfrid! Can't wait to see your decaled VF-0S soon. ^_^