My Very Own Premium Finish Valkyries

no3Ljm

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

Thanks SlaveIV! Really appreciate it. I'll probably use that for the wrong spelling NO STEPs markings.

Wait. I just re-read again the eBay listing. So this is for Laserjet printer. Not advisable for Inkjet. But still can use it but needs topcoating. I don't have Laserjet printer. Is this something I can do with those print shop like FedEx or UPS? Just bring the paper and file and all is good if they have laser colored printer?

Yeah, just bring it somewhere that has a laser printer and you should be good.

Just discovered the cause for my own confusion, directly from the eBay decal listing under the description:

How to apply:
apply gloss clear coat (microscale)
plan out the decal placement 

That Italicised and Bold bit is what threw me.  I don't use microscale products (partly because they're hard to find here in Australia and the other part because I've been using Gunze decal products instead) but knew Microscale made a clear solution for "painting" over the decals while they're still on the backing paper.  I simply assumed that's what they were talking about.

Having read the description again, it's actually very helpful and is simply describing the best use process of laying down a gloss coat prior to putting the decals on.  Why they specifically mention Microscale is anyone's guess...  You could use whatever clear you want as the point is to make a nice smooth and shiny surface so that the clear film on the decals themselves has less chance of trapping air bubbles and being visible, once they're dry.

Next item: ink jet and laser jet papers are, as far as I'm aware, different in how you have to use them.  Laser printers work by melting the toner into the paper so you end up with a fused and more or less "solid" image when it comes out of the printer.  Laser specific paper would have to account for the heat that is applied to the page during printing.  But the printed image itself is also a lot more robust, due to the way the image is "melted" in the first place.  I expect you still have to trim very close to the image in order to avoid that clear, shiny film look around the decal when it's dry.

For ink jet paper, the composition is likely different.  I would expect the water soluble "glue" that is impregnated into the page is porous by nature, in order to allow the ink "dots" to sit on the surface and not just wipe off prior to drying. I wouldn't expect this to be the case with laser paper, simply because of the way the two printer types differ in operation. Furthermore, I think it would be far more likely for ink jet paper to require some sort of overcoat of the printed images, due to the fact that many inks are water soluble.  If you don't overcoat the printed image, the water might just dissolve it as soon as you dunk it. I'm sure there are exceptions with papers out there, and it's very likely some don't require an overcoat.  But, the ones I've used all mention needing the overcoat.

On to the ones you've ordered, and many commercial decals in general - they use a completely different process than the two I've just described.  From what I understand, the paper is basically tampo printed.  Not sure what sort of paint is used to do it but it's less a print and more a stamp.  At least for the really good quality ones.  On top of that is a clear layer, often called the "carrier film" and this too is usually applied with a pad, just like the tampo print itself.  This way the carrier film is very close to the margin of the printed image.  The clear layer protects the printed image but can also be really easy to see once the decal has dried.  This is another reason why the "spray a clear gloss first, apply the decal, spray another one after it's dried" approach is recommended: it not only seals and protects the fragile decal but it also helps to blend the carrier film in to the overall surface.

For those of you who have braved my way too in-depth description, I hope that helps! ;)

If you must have correct pilot spellings, you can always just buy one Hasegawa kit. I believe the S/J/A kit has decal names for all four main pilots. I'll pulled mine out to check when I get home. The entire kit is $15. I've scanned the Yamato sticker sheets and printed them as decals, but alas you can't print white. 

On 7/25/2017 at 5:06 AM, no3Ljm said:

Thanks technoblue! Yeah, I made sure I get all the resources esp those videos just to learn stuff. I know I'm doing some gamble here since after I practice some airbrushing on scrap kits, here I am I'm going to airbrush topcoat an expensive toy. But hey, live and learn, right? ;) Yeah, will try to update this as much as possible.

That's true. There's always something more to learn. I think this is great. B))

What airbrush are you using? Did you pick up an air compressor too or are you using canned air? 

On 7/25/2017 at 3:18 PM, Slave IV said:

Yeah, just bring it somewhere that has a laser printer and you should be good.

Thanks, Slave IV. I'll just create those wrong spelling NO STEP. Though I just figured I need white ones too for the dark colored Strike Packs. Hehehe. ^_^ 

23 hours ago, mickyg said:

*snip*

Sorry I have to 'snip' it MickyG. ^_^ But yeah, now I get it. All the while I got confused on the first custom decal that I ordered because I argue with the printer regarding topcoating. I'm telling him that I know about topcoating towards the end and he's insisting me to topcoat it prior of applying so we had a small argument first. Hahaha! :lol: 

17 hours ago, Lolicon said:

If you must have correct pilot spellings, you can always just buy one Hasegawa kit. I believe the S/J/A kit has decal names for all four main pilots. I'll pulled mine out to check when I get home. The entire kit is $15. I've scanned the Yamato sticker sheets and printed them as decals, but alas you can't print white. 

Thanks for the tip, Lolicon. But it's an easy fix for the Hikaru so it's ok. ;) 

8 hours ago, sh9000 said:

Will the HM VF-1S Roy or HMR VF-1J Hikaru get the premium finish treatment?

I'll think about it once the HMR VF-2SS arrives. ^_^ 

7 hours ago, technoblue said:

That's true. There's always something more to learn. I think this is great. B))

What airbrush are you using? Did you pick up an air compressor too or are you using canned air? 

Hey Technoblue. I'm using a $99 set that I bought from Amazon. I think I posted the link on my first post. It's Master brand with compressor set. It has an air trap or some sort. And it came with 3 airbrushes. 2 gravity-feed and 1 siphon-feed. And some cleaning accessories and a small guide book.

12 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Thanks, Slave IV. I'll just create those wrong spelling NO STEP. Though I just figured I need white ones too for the dark colored Strike Packs. Hehehe. ^_^ 

The only thing I can think of for that is using white decal paper and printing around the letters the color of the packs.

Speaking of the VF-2SS, I was thinking of scanning the ET sticker sheet, then scaling it down and printing decals for the HMR version. But that will depend on how much I like the HMR VF-2SS (and whether or not I think it's worth the time and effort to work on). :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

Speaking of the VF-2SS, I was thinking of scanning the ET sticker sheet, then scaling it down and printing decals for the HMR version. But that will depend on how much I like the HMR VF-2SS (and whether or not I think it's worth the time and effort to work on). :rolleyes:

I have a feeling that we will like this version more than the Evo's version. Just sayin'. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

I have a feeling that we will like this version more than the Evo's version. Just sayin'. :rolleyes:

I really dont care about VF-2, as someone that is standing on the sideline in relation to the subject matter, I can say that it is not actually a tall order to like Bandai version more

28 minutes ago, chyll2 said:

I really dont care about VF-2, as someone that is standing on the sideline in relation to the subject matter, I can say that it is not actually a tall order to like Bandai version more

Hey I was going to say something like that!

Being better than the ET version is a low bar. :rolleyes:

"Bandai HMR VF-2SS: It's better than being kicked in the groin!" 

Ok. SO I found some time to do some additional decal work since I'm holding off the 'NO STLP' markings for now. I finished following all the decal instructions based on the manual. And so far, the inner leg and arm is so plain, so I decided to add a little bit from the unused decals and follow what I can (mostly the yellow arrestor hook and the lift markings) based on the Variable Fighter Master File mooks.

Canopy. Added the Arrestor Hook marking.
zO9NNKO.jpg

Head. Added Danger marking near the laser turrets.
yCMV8SI.jpg

Both Legs. Added Arrestor Hook and Lift Markings on both sides. Beware of Blast and Danger on the inner part of the legs. And another set of Danger marking on the inner thigh where it bends from intake area.
eN9KhpY.jpg

qQSoahq.jpg

Mm6JVfN.jpg

PJpsydG.jpg

025Ejui.jpg

Backpack/Tail Fin. Added random text markings. Including Arrestor Hook on the side and Beware of Blast markings.
nklniNE.jpg

I6f6dOW.jpg

ZmCNlaq.jpg

Wings. Added Arrestor Hook. Random text as a Pylon Attachment markings under the wing.
CYnH6Qp.jpg

cONTIBu.jpg

Arms. Random text markings applied near the forearm area and beside the Gunpod/Fast Pack slot.
Hckgyga.jpg

BF01sN2.jpg

In the end, seeing that most of the bigger texts such as Beware of Blast, No Step, etc is kind of too big and too recognizable compared to the small text markings... I'm thinking if using a 1/72 scaled decal looks better for those big text markings? Hmmm.

Also one more thing is that I was planning on putting the decals on the Strike Packs and I noticed that 'NB-FP-something-something' decals were all the same on the decal sheet that I bought. But based on the actual Yamato stickers, it should have different number markings instead to separate the packs from the armaments. That's why I didn't put it. Another case of HUCHIJO and NO STLP.

38 minutes ago, mickyg said:

Where did you get the marking placement guide you're using - it looks really thorough and complete and I very much like it!

From the Variable Fighter Master File mooks. https://hlj.com/product/SOF35182

There's a Modex, Caution and Warning Markings section. Since most of the text that featured such as 'WARNING HOT AIR', 'KEEP CLEAN', and the yellow Anchor-looking marking (which I don't know what it means), I don't have it in the decal sheet. So I just put additional Arrestor Hook, Lift, and random texts decals. ^_^ 

13 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

From the Variable Fighter Master File mooks. https://hlj.com/product/SOF35182

There's a Modex, Caution and Warning Markings section. Since most of the text that featured such as 'WARNING HOT AIR', 'KEEP CLEAN', and the yellow Anchor-looking marking (which I don't know what it means), I don't have it in the decal sheet. So I just put additional Arrestor Hook, Lift, and random texts decals. ^_^ 

markings.thumb.jpg.9804ed26faebe85cec2963c038941ce4.jpg

On 7/26/2017 at 6:29 PM, no3Ljm said:

Hey Technoblue. I'm using a $99 set that I bought from Amazon. I think I posted the link on my first post. It's Master brand with compressor set. It has an air trap or some sort. And it came with 3 airbrushes. 2 gravity-feed and 1 siphon-feed. And some cleaning accessories and a small guide book.

:fool: HaHa! I totally missed the link. Thanks, Noel for pointing it out again. Your latest pics look fantastic. Did you find any decent replacement decals for the strike packs?

On 7/28/2017 at 11:12 AM, Ridden001 said:

If I see what I think I see on here, It shows that a VF-1 from Arcadia looks pretty good with a semi-gloss or gloss finish.  

Yeah, the VF-1's has satin finish compared to their VF-0's which is more matte looking. ;) 

23 minutes ago, technoblue said:

:fool: HaHa! I totally missed the link. Thanks, Noel for pointing it out again. Your latest pics look fantastic. Did you find any decent replacement decals for the strike packs?

No problem sir! Regarding the Strike Pack decals, not yet. Still searching. :( 

Looks like my planned VF-1S Hikaru Premium Finish will be put on hold for now until I figure out where to get and what to use for the Strike Pack decals including the misspelled 'NO STEP' decals.

So for now, I put my attention to Roy's VF-0S since his waterslide decal is more accurate with Arcadia's sticker sheet. And no misspellings. ^_^

I started last night and finish both sides of the plane. Please ignore the yellow hue on the photos. ;)

IVYqaDH.jpg

EHk0WEG.jpg

TF0OnFs.jpg

LoV44LF.jpg

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

Looks like my planned VF-1S Hikaru Premium Finish will be put on hold for now until I figure out where to get and what to use for the Strike Pack decals including the misspelled 'NO STEP' decals.

So for now, I put my attention to Roy's VF-0S since his waterslide decal is more accurate with Arcadia's sticker sheet. And no misspellings. ^_^

I started last night and finish both sides of the plane. Please ignore the yellow hue on the photos. ;)

IVYqaDH.jpg

EHk0WEG.jpg

TF0OnFs.jpg

LoV44LF.jpg

Goodness the price nowadays for an arcadia vf-0s.

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

IVYqaDH.jpg

EHk0WEG.jpg

TF0OnFs.jpg

LoV44LF.jpg

this is amazing. i need this Arcadia needs to do a premium 0S

Oooh looking forward to ur pics of the 0s noel! B))

52 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

Yup that would appeal to those who missed out on the 0s the last time...and maybe a chance to release  an  0A with stable hip joints  too !!

2 hours ago, The Smirker said:

Goodness the price nowadays for an arcadia vf-0s.

True. Imagine if I bought two now I'm probably going to have second thoughts if I'm going to decal and panel line it or not. ^_^ 

2 hours ago, yman1437 said:

Wow...looking good, great to see it's coming along!

Thanks! :)

2 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

I can make your VF-0S Premium if you want, David. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, 505thAirborne said:

That VF-0S is coming to life now, looks awesome! 

As for a premium Arcadia 0S, prepare for a premium Arcadia price tag! LOL

Thanks 505th! For sure, it will command price if Arcadia release a Premium of this. And I'm sure they will down the line because majority of their release now are re-release and Premiums. They're stuck in that process... for now. ;) 

1 hour ago, seti88 said:

Oooh looking forward to ur pics of the 0s noel! B))

Yup that would appeal to those who missed out on the 0s the last time...and maybe a chance to release  an  0A with stable hip joints  too !!

Thanks Seti! ^_^ 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some updates on my VF-0S. Once I'm done using the grey colored NO STEP markings on the VF-0, I'll use the remaining red colored NO STEP from the VF-0 decal sheet to continue in my VF-1S. ^_^

p13pmxI.jpg

nlYnXB0.jpg

lgYj8Vf.jpg

lqZT2zR.jpg

eNSsK7l.jpg

Edited by no3Ljm