My Very Own Premium Finish Valkyries

no3Ljm

This weekend I started applying those VF-1 waterslide decals that I bought from eBay weeks ago. I also tested my Airbrush set which I bought 4 years ago from Amazon. And to be honest, this is the first time I airbrush. I tested the airbrush for topcoating and so far I really like the outcome from the scrap kits that I have. ^_^

Anyways, I noticed that the graphics on the waterslide decals that I'm using is somehow thicker than the one supplied by Arcadia on their stand-alone 1/60 VF-1S Hikaru release (12/2013), the one that came with a stand. But I still decided to use that one since I'm also going to apply the waterslide decals that I purchased for the VF-0S too. Just to make it consistent. Besides, there's none that came with the VF-0S. So that's fine for me.

I'm also planning on adding some panel lines into it once the Flory Models washes arrives.

So hopefully, I'll try my best to update this thread once I finish applying decals parts by parts.

Note: Mods, sorry if I put this in the wrong section. But since it's just applying decals on a toy, I thought it's just safe to put it here. But feel free to move it to the proper section if ever. Thanks! ;)

So, without further ado, here it is.

Here's the finished legs from this weekend (7/23/17). And to be honest, applying decals on these two legs already took me 2 hours.

n0iAQbF.jpg?1

Edited by no3Ljm

2 minutes ago, erizai said:

Nice... 2 hours.. think justified for the price for the premium one... :o

True. And I agree. But I really want to enjoy this hobby even just applying decals on it. ^_^ The thing here also is that some of the old Valkyries I have is not Premium Finished. So waiting for Arcadia to re-release everything in Premium Finish format will take years and by then I'm probably too old to keep this hobby. So I'll try to enjoy it while it last. ;) 

Lucky are those whose just starting this hobby now. :rolleyes:

Just now, wmkjr said:

Thanks for doing this. Now I can use this as another reference for future projects.

You're welcome wmkjr! Let's just hope that I have enough time over the weekends to do this. But as much as possible, I'll try to apply some decals per areas every other night when I'm not too tired from work. Next part I'm trying to do  tomorrow is the nosecone. ;)

Nice Work Noel

For someone that think they cant cant do it (due to skill, time or both), I am pretty sure you can just buy the decal and have someone do it for you. at almost 100 usd premium, with that price, you might have a weathered results as well. (if you want to)

Edited by chyll2

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

So, without further ado, here it is.

Here's the finished legs from this weekend (7/23/17). And to be honest, applying decals on these two legs already took me 2 hours.

n0iAQbF.jpg?1

That looks really good! Are you sure you didn't hire a ghost decaler to do it for you? :rolleyes:

Two hours for a bunch of decals on the legs sounds about right.

Sounds right to me too. Looking good Noel!

Just read the item description and is it true that there's no clear coat already on the decals? If so, that's a pretty steep price for what they're giving you, especially if they're thick like you mentioned. 

Still, the results look great!

1 hour ago, chyll2 said:

Nice Work Noel

For someone that think they cant cant do it (due to skill, time or both), I am pretty sure you can just buy the decal and have someone do it for you. at almost 100 usd premium, with that price, you might have a weathered results as well. (if you want to)

Thanks chyll2! As much as I loved weathered finished Valks, I'm skipping that for now. Still want to look my Valks 'factory fresh'. I have a feeling I'm going to have a hard time doing the panel lines since it's so shallow compared to Bandai's DX. So we'll see. ;)

28 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

That looks really good! Are you sure you didn't hire a ghost decaler to do it for you? :rolleyes:

Two hours for a bunch of decals on the legs sounds about right.

Hahaha! :lol: It's all me, sir! Thanks to YouTube tutorial videos on kits, I've learned a lot on how to do it properly and patiently.  :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, mickyg said:

Sounds right to me too. Looking good Noel!

Just read the item description and is it true that there's no clear coat already on the decals? If so, that's a pretty steep price for what they're giving you, especially if they're thick like you mentioned. 

Still, the results look great!

Hey mickyg! Thanks! ;)

Nope, no topcoat yet. I'm planning on finishing the decals first before I'm going to do topcoat. What I meant regarding how thick the decals were, I was referring to the graphics itself. I don't have comparison photos for now. But I'll try to take some close-up photos tomorrow of the sticker and the waterslide decals that came with the Arcadia VF-1S versus the one I got from eBay. Just so you know, I didn't pay the actual price of $21.99. It was on sale when I bought it.

And frankly, it's still cheap compared to the specialty decal shop where I ordered a US legal size paper decal sheet for $50. ^_^

1 minute ago, Xigfrid said:

Thanks for sharing this, now I am thinking of buying the Premium finish because I don't that much of spare time.

You're welcome, Xigfrid! ;)  Good luck though on hunting one. ^_^ 

You've banked two hours already, along with the time required to read up on on everything and watch how to videos? I commend your dedication, @no3Ljm:good:

The results are worth it, I think, especially if you are learning a new way to appreciate this stuff. I look forward to more pics. And like @wmkjr , I'll be using this as a reference if I ever get some time to try it myself.

Your airbrush buy reminds me of my pre-occupation of getting an airbrush, over the years. Only to not go thru it :p usual excuses haha...

Back to the decals, nice neat work on it and it looks tampoed! B)) Am not sure of the reason needed to remove the legs, but i guess it helps in decaling somewhat...

Keep it up and hope you get your premuim finish at a fraction of the price!

Great job so far. I did this many years ago when Yamato released the TV Roy VF-1S.  Panel lined with Flory's, waterslide decals from a 1:72 Valk, some tiny silver paint tweaks on the landing gear and the gun barrels, and made my own "premium" version, once you get some practice in, it goes a lot quicker.  It still sits in my display case and looks fantastic. 

Sorry Noel, I should have been more specific about my topcoat comment.  In the description for the decals from the seller on ebay that you linked to, it mentions the decals have no topcoat.  Given my long history with model making (not that I've finished many, mind you!) I've learned a thing or two about water slide decals.  Almost all the ones you'd get in a model kit (including the ones that came in the Yamato VF-1 kits) have a clear layer over the printed decal, already on the paper.  When you soak them in water, the whole thing floats right off, and the decal stays intact.

Contrast that with DIY decal paper and unless you overcoat the printed content, soaking them in water is almost certain to see all your hard work literally float away!  So they make this topcoat stuff that's basically a water safe clear coat to put over prints.  Unless you're really good at cutting around the decal, you're likely to get a bit of clear that will be visible, even after the decal is dried.

Long story short: did these decals have that thin clear film already applied or do you have to overcoat the decal on the page, before you use it?

With my diy decal, I have problems with small text if it is not properly sprayed over with. Seems like he did not have those problems though I get where you are coming from Micky, what we are seeing now are like tampo printed detail, you can't pick up the borders of the decals

21 hours ago, technoblue said:

You've banked two hours already, along with the time required to read up on on everything and watch how to videos? I commend your dedication, @no3Ljm:good:

The results are worth it, I think, especially if you are learning a new way to appreciate this stuff. I look forward to more pics. And like @wmkjr , I'll be using this as a reference if I ever get some time to try it myself.

Thanks technoblue! Yeah, I made sure I get all the resources esp those videos just to learn stuff. I know I'm doing some gamble here since after I practice some airbrushing on scrap kits, here I am I'm going to airbrush topcoat an expensive toy. But hey, live and learn, right? ;) Yeah, will try to update this as much as possible.

19 hours ago, seti88 said:

Your airbrush buy reminds me of my pre-occupation of getting an airbrush, over the years. Only to not go thru it :p usual excuses haha...

Back to the decals, nice neat work on it and it looks tampoed! B)) Am not sure of the reason needed to remove the legs, but i guess it helps in decaling somewhat...

Keep it up and hope you get your premuim finish at a fraction of the price!

I hear you, Seti. I actually bought the airbrush 4 years ago when I started buying Robot Damashii Unicorn Gundams. Been planning on painting some but it didn't happen. So this time, I'll make sure that I will use it. And yes, removing the legs really help me a lot. The reason why I removed it is that once I finish following all the decal instructions, and what's left I will use it on the inner part of the legs. ^_^ 

19 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Great job so far. I did this many years ago when Yamato released the TV Roy VF-1S.  Panel lined with Flory's, waterslide decals from a 1:72 Valk, some tiny silver paint tweaks on the landing gear and the gun barrels, and made my own "premium" version, once you get some practice in, it goes a lot quicker.  It still sits in my display case and looks fantastic. 

Thanks Derex! Thanks to you and all the other guys for posting those wonderful and beautiful Valks with all those added panel lines and decals. It made me inspire to do my version as well. Who knows, once I get the hang of it, I'll create my own customed VF-1's. ;) 

15 hours ago, dizman said:

Looking good so far! I've been thinking about getting some waterslides for a few VF-1's and VF-0's, this may be the push I need to get em :lol:

Go ahead Dizman. It's fun to decal the Valks. I know it's time consuming but hey, everyone needs a hobby, right? :lol: By the way, regarding the VF-1 decals, I noticed some print error on it. Will post it in awhile.

13 hours ago, Sandman said:

What are you using for top coating? I'm thinking of decaling up that VF-0s I got off of you. I figure I'll probably need to top coat it to help prevent the decals from peeling.

Hey Sandman! I'm just going to use the Micro Satin or Flat on this after I'm done with the decals and panel lining. But I'm not so sure yet which one. I kind of like the satin finish of most Arcadia and the recent DX releases but I also like Flat finish too. I'll probably going to try again and airbrush some on plastics and decide which one to use. ;) 

13 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

Looking great so far Noel. Great to see your project finally getting started, I look forward to the finished Valk! B))

Thanks 505th! Finally, right? I've been planning this for months now. So hopefully it will not hit a dead end. ^_^ 

19 hours ago, chyll2 said:

I actually want to get Hasegawa Messiah water slide decals. unfortunately, getting one, even with only buying the decal, usually cost the same as tthe box kit.

True. How I really wish that Arcadia somehow include a waterslide decals on their release. I really like how crisp it looks. I'm going to post comparison later for the waterslide decal that I bought and the waterslide decal that came with the first Arcadia VF-1S Hikaru/Roy releases.

13 hours ago, Saburo said:

Looking good @no3Ljm!  I am expecting some nice pics of it when you are done! :D

Maraming salamat Saburo! :friends:

12 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

looks great!

how did you break the legs off?

Hey David! Thanks! Regarding the legs, I just pulled it away from the thigh sockets. ;)

11 hours ago, neko878 said:

Nice work! Looks great!

Thanks Neko! ;) 

6 hours ago, mickyg said:

Sorry Noel, I should have been more specific about my topcoat comment.  In the description for the decals from the seller on ebay that you linked to, it mentions the decals have no topcoat.  Given my long history with model making (not that I've finished many, mind you!) I've learned a thing or two about water slide decals.  Almost all the ones you'd get in a model kit (including the ones that came in the Yamato VF-1 kits) have a clear layer over the printed decal, already on the paper.  When you soak them in water, the whole thing floats right off, and the decal stays intact.

Contrast that with DIY decal paper and unless you overcoat the printed content, soaking them in water is almost certain to see all your hard work literally float away!  So they make this topcoat stuff that's basically a water safe clear coat to put over prints.  Unless you're really good at cutting around the decal, you're likely to get a bit of clear that will be visible, even after the decal is dried.

Long story short: did these decals have that thin clear film already applied or do you have to overcoat the decal on the page, before you use it?

5 hours ago, chyll2 said:

With my diy decal, I have problems with small text if it is not properly sprayed over with. Seems like he did not have those problems though I get where you are coming from Micky, what we are seeing now are like tampo printed detail, you can't pick up the borders of the decals

Now I understand what you meant with the topcoat. ;) Based on what I bought, it felt like there's already some film on it. It felt like I'm just using a regualr Gundam waterslide sheets. And it's already pre-cut. It's not like a DIY decal that you need to cut it properly. I just cut around the decal and soak it in water and I can see atleast 1-2mm film around the decal. Is that what you're asking? After it dries, it still looks reflective and shiny so I'm assuming there's coat on it(?). Let me know if that's what you're asking. If not, I can probably take a close-up photo for you to check. Let me know. :) 

4 hours ago, MikeRoz said:

Do the sheets you bought come with everything needed for doing the same to M&M?

Hey MikeRoz. I'm not sure actually since I don't have M&M stickers to compare with. But what I do know is that it's just a copy of the last Arcadia VF-1 release bundled with the Super/Strike Packs. Hope someone here can compare the M&M stickers to the recent Arcadia ones. :) 

Ok. So I finished the nosecone tonight along with some of the decals on the chest and back of the body. Plus the tail wings area. That's another 2 hours of fun and work. Well, technically it's almost 2.5 hours. Whew! :rolleyes:

By the way, if you guys click the picture you will notice that the name on the canopy is not PILOT H.ICHIJO. It's PILOT HUCHIJO. I just noticed it after I took this photo and zoom it in. Now I have to correct that with a .0 brush and black paint. Who has Sharpie? :lol: 

HGDFrPW.jpg?1

RAlcZgo.jpg?1

FJUpn1G.jpg?1

jO1bjPZ.jpg?1

q5pYInf.jpg?1

I was in the mood tonight to apply all the NO STEP markings on the wings. But upon inspection, here's what I saw...
mZSyPfM.jpg?1

'NO STLP'. Seriously? :unknw: 

Anyways, since it's STLP, I decided to stop and took some close-up photos of the original sticker sheet and the waterslide decal that came with Arcadia VF-1S Hikaru compared to the one I'm using.

Top: Arcadia Sticker
Middle: Arcadia Waterslide Decal
Bottom: eBay Waterslide Decal

glyqZIR.jpg?1

You really can tell that the eBay decal graphics is thicker compared to the Arcadia waterslide. But somehow it's kind of near to the stickers graphics. 

Also, there's some differences on the fonts used. Left one is the eBay waterslide decals. Right one is Arcadia's waterslide decals. Check PROMETHEUS, ARMD-1, SDF-1, and even the Modex Numbers and U.N.Spacy. 
HFVsTMu.jpg?1

I'm posting this differences so that everyone will know what they're getting if they decided to buy those VF-1 decals from the eBay link I posted on my first post. However, the VF-0 decal that I bought from them have the correct spelling on NO STEP. And even ASKA. ^_^ 

I'll probably use the NO STEP markings from my extra VF-0 decal sheet that I bought. Hopefully I have a lot to cover on the rest of my VF-1's. If not, I'll probably buy a generic black NO STEP decal markings from them since there's no red color available.

Besides, I don't think a red NO STEP markings will look good on Roy's VF-1S, right? What do you guys think? ^_^ 

Great pics Noel! Even the spelling mistakes are good to know about. 

Yes, the images you've shown clearly show the applied topcoat too. If they didn't have it, you'd know very quickly as the decal would basically disintegrate after soaking. 

Really nice, careful placement you've achieved so far. Liking your progress!

7 hours ago, mickyg said:

Great pics Noel! Even the spelling mistakes are good to know about. 

Yes, the images you've shown clearly show the applied topcoat too. If they didn't have it, you'd know very quickly as the decal would basically disintegrate after soaking. 

Really nice, careful placement you've achieved so far. Liking your progress!

Thanks MickyG! ^_^ By the way, I'm curious on the topcoat that you're referring to on the decals. So if I were to do a DIY decals or let's say I ordered a customed one without a coat yet, what topcoat should I use so that it will not disintegrate once I dip it in water? Would regular topcoat works or there's a specific one for it? Thanks in advance. :)

6 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Uchijo Hikaru is my favorite pilot in the series!

Is R.FOCKER misspelled too? :rolleyes:

Sad to say, the decal only has Uchijo Hikaru. Weird coz it has different number marking for the name but most are HUCHIJO. Hehehe. :lol:  But kidding aside, I think there's another one I see which I think is for Max coz the name is kinda long but I wouldn't trust it has a correct spelling. I'll check it again tonight. 

3 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

looks awesome @no3Ljm i didn't know you could do that to the legs,  the vf-0a legs seems to come off  ob it's own for a few members:p

damn, i need to get some decals for my/off white dyrl roys

Hey David! Thanks! Yeah, only the VF-1 is easy to disassemble. That's why I'm not sure when I start doing decals for the VF-0 since it can't be remove unless you broke or pry open the thigh area first. Which is the other reason why I prefer it disassemble so I can eyeball the placement of the decals by looking at it at the same time. ^_^

Noeljm, you can disassemble the VF-0 to just the the legs and swing bar if it'll help. You just need to pry up the screw covers for the wings and remove those screws and the one for the backpack. Separate the rear back piece then there is a free floating pin that holds the swing bar, remove that and the bar and legs separate from the rest of the valk.

44 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

The DIY decal paper I use doesn't require any topcoat. Just FYI. Here

Can you post a sample photo of this if it's ok. Thanks! :)

43 minutes ago, wmkjr said:

Noeljm, you can disassemble the VF-0 to just the the legs and swing bar if it'll help. You just need to pry up the screw covers for the wings and remove those screws and the one for the backpack. Separate the rear back piece then there is a free floating pin that holds the swing bar, remove that and the bar and legs separate from the rest of the valk.

Thanks wmkjr! Actually I was hoping for an easy disassembling like the VF-1's. Don't want to risk prying open the plastic since most of it are glued. ^_^ 

Thanks SlaveIV! Really appreciate it. I'll probably use that for the wrong spelling NO STEPs markings.

Wait. I just re-read again the eBay listing. So this is for Laserjet printer. Not advisable for Inkjet. But still can use it but needs topcoating. I don't have Laserjet printer. Is this something I can do with those print shop like FedEx or UPS? Just bring the paper and file and all is good if they have laser colored printer?

Edited by no3Ljm