M "The Ride" : VF-1X++ custom

Xigfrid

Looks great!!! I'm trying to work on some decals if anyone is interested. I have two sets from Frameout Models' kit, so I am going to do a hi-res scan, and then put them on some sheets. I have to try them out myself first, as I don't want to ruin any of the original sets. I'll probably tweak them a bit, but if anyone is interested, pm me.

They're just the orange/red tribal decals, and nothing more. there's no "no step" or any other detailed ones, but those can easily be found, or used from another VF-1.

As for the set I'm doing, I probably won't gloss coat them. The matte finish looks best with the finish on the VF-1, so it'll most likely stay like that. I just did the feet. Those were a bit of a challenge due to the screws that were on the directions. I decided  to not use the screws, and instead, used some filler to gap fill the space in the insertion part, and then Gorilla glue, which is really strong and also foams and expands. The result is what I wanted. I did have to line the feet up by angling the foot in the bridge where the foot goes in while it rotates, so that it wouldn't get caught after it dries. The process of the feet was a bit cumbersome, but they came out great.

For the area where the wing meets the body, I may actually cut these. In the line art, it looks like they separate in transformation, so I am going to line them up to the seem line of the body where it folds in half, and then make my adjustments.

The wing front and side, as well as the extra flap that is on the examples is also being worked on. I am cutting the flaps off of the wings, and I will be 3D printing an extended flap to replace it. Once done, I'll need to recast the wing, as I want it to be solid for transforming purposes. As the lead edge parts, because those are thicker than the wings themselves, I can just design those to fit over the wing and the side. Lots of stuff to work on. I'm hoping to have it done before Super Dimension Con.

2 minutes ago, wmkjr said:

Jason, how does the Frameout ones compare to Valhary's?

I'd need to see his. I haven't seen them, but they are the official decals, so if he's already done them, then I may not need to make them. In any case, I will make a few sets. If you can link me to his, I may be able to get a better idea of them.

Ah, OK, I did see those. they look great. I'd have to pull mine out to get a good color comparison, but I haven't printed his to compare. The ones I do won't be too much different, but just cleaned up hi-res copies of the original.

Xigfrid, I'll have a set for you once I get to working on them. Between projects, work, and convention planning, my life is in overdrive.

• 1 month later...

6 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

Looking so nice so far! I wouldn't believe that the markings could add a lot to the figure... Now I need to make mine the same :)

Do you plan to paint all the figure in white or only place that need to ?

I'm color matching the white that Yamato has for the balk, which would eliminate a need to paint the entire thing. So far, it looks like just the wings will be painted. I already painted them, so I may add a little pink to give the perfect blend. 

1 hour ago, Jasonc said:

I'm color matching the white that Yamato has for the balk, which would eliminate a need to paint the entire thing. So far, it looks like just the wings will be painted. I already painted them, so I may add a little pink to give the perfect blend. 

Looks good, Jasonc!  :good:;) 

And it's not white without the Yamato hue. ^_^

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

Looks good, Jasonc!  :good:;) 

And it's not white without the Yamato hue. ^_^

Yes. I'm going to try with a clear red. I think it'll add the warmth and hue that it needs. I remix today, among convention chores.

49 minutes ago, Jasonc said:

Yes. I'm going to try with a clear red. I think it'll add the warmth and hue that it needs. I remix today, among convention chores.

I hope it will work, I couldn't do that with my copy because it seemed that the white paint I used wasn't bright enough, so I had to darken then color-correct the white from the yamato plastic. I did by applying a light blue wash where needed.

OK, not much of an update, but one nevertheless. I had a chance to buy more white paint, and work a lot more on color matching while waiting on another project to dry. This process is not for the light hearted. It's A LOT of work!!! I mean, I used clear read for a translucent pink hue to match Yamato's white, and more light grey than I needed before, but I think I got it. I did use the sprues the parts were on to test, and I'm at a point where just based on color, I can't tell where the paint is at first glance. It took roughly 2 1/2 hours to do this, while slowly mixing in the colors. there was one time where I put too much light grey in, but I had another bottle of white, so I just spent the last time lightening it. Ugh. In any case, that is finally done. I should sell this paint as Yamato white.

In the last spray attempt, I also learned that 1/3 thinner in Mr. Color paint IS NOT enough. I need to almost half it to make is a smooth finish. I guess that's good because I'll get much more paint out of it, but this stuff dries so fast, it needs a lot of thinner, the consistency of milk. I'll be giving this a retry tonight (hopefully), and then waiting for it to dry to see how close I am on color matching. I really just need it for the wings, so it'd be strange if they're off.

Once that's done, I'll be putting decals on the wings, and then of course, using a UV matt coat, which I've been putting on all the plastic of the unassembled Yamato kit. It does give it a nice feel and look, and should also help in the yellowing aspect even more than the science put into the hue and materials of the plastic itself. I did test fit the wings, and the flaps, while they extend out, don't collide being that I offset them just slightly.

If anyone is interested in doing this for themselves, I measured the flaps out and made the replacement flaps that are in Shapeways. I can put them up for sale, but you may want to order them in Frosted Ultra detail or extreme. You can use WSF polished, but you might need to sand down too much and you'll lose some detail in it that it needs.

Ouch for that color matching process! Do you have an idea of the final proportions and more importantly was the white base to be Testors White Super fine Primer and it was too bright as a white ? That really interest me! As for the wing, I will wait to see the VF-1 completed so I can decide if I need to upgrade the wings or not ;)

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 1:14 PM, Xigfrid said:

Ouch for that color matching process! Do you have an idea of the final proportions and more importantly was the white base to be Testors White Super fine Primer and it was too bright as a white ? That really interest me! As for the wing, I will wait to see the VF-1 completed so I can decide if I need to upgrade the wings or not ;)

I used Mr. Hobby (Mr Color white, Mr Color light grey, and Mr Color clear red). Unfortunately, I don't have proportions, as I continuously kept adding in color until it seemed to blend to the inside of one of the leg pieces and the sprue. I tried to get the shade of white first, then tried to warm it with the right amount of clear red. I was hoping to put a layer of the color on today, but I had a bit of a family emergency, and I'm at work for some overtime, so it'll be tomorrow. I'll post pics tomorrow so you guys can judge it. I really need this to be right.

I'm making mine from the Yamato unassembled out. I bought a bunch back when they were initially released, and again when they re-released them. I believe they were maybe $100 or less at the time. 

Picture of wings going up today, once I get home. they came out pretty good, so I'm happy with them, and while the color isn't perfect, it's really hard to tell the difference once the matt coat goes on it.

21 minutes ago, Xigfrid said:

Hell yeah, the paint plus the tattoos are perfect for this figure!

are you going to put the shoulders armor on? They will mask a part of the tattoo markings

I'm going to trim it down on the inside so that it fits, or maybe make that part so that each piece is actually two pieces. I think they're meant to separate in transformation.

I'm happy with how the color came out. Two drops of clear red, and about a dozen light grey in a 10ml bottle of white, with about 1/3-40% leveling thinner. All Mr Hobby. 

I just need to work on those, and colormatch the tail fins.

20171111_160146.thumb.jpg.23d36856cf392ace264ab97f3437f86b.jpg

20171111_160210.thumb.jpg.fc3b7bbbccdd108e286fde26d0b8a4f6.jpg

FB_IMG_1510445404501.thumb.jpg.4ca914657d3b566a2717021f507a7b99.jpg

FB_IMG_1510445440410.thumb.jpg.9a159273d632a08a2f111fe748bea628.jpg

FB_IMG_1510445481127.thumb.jpg.8c960da532e6c50f18be309b288485c7.jpg

1 hour ago, Xigfrid said:

Amazing job Jasonc! I knew you would  do justice to this kit.

Abiut the shoulders, I thought like you before I saw this picture. I am looking forward to see your mod anyway :)

IMG_4956.JPG

Interesting. Is that an image from the novel? Well, with that knowledge, I can re'clean thosse parts, and get them ready. I'll try color matching tomorrow. 

the book isn't too hard to find. The thing that would be great to get would be the images, but I honestly haven't looked into getting it. I have a friend who will be translating it at some point, but I think his issue was that it references things in the Frontier novels. The Delta novels reference a couple things from Macross the Ride, so you can see how he wants to do it in order.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally managed to paint the tail fins and they came out great. I didn't need to mix any paint, but found a Mr Color that works very close to it. I haven't put on the body/wing base covers, as I'm trying to figure out If I want to redesign it to cover the inner part of the wing. I have the one you made, Xigfrid, so if I run out of patience designing it, I'll stick them on. So far, this is probably the happiest I've been with a  custom project. Between the work Xigfrid did with the extras, and the parts that were from Frameout Models and the decal work, along with my own work that I'm proud of, I think it's come out quite well. I think my last piece will be customizing the pilot to look as he should.

vf1x.thumb.jpg.2bd3f14279207cf675897c68bfaaf82b.jpg