The Incredibles 2

sh9000

Finally! Been hoping for a sequel since the first, so long as Brad Bird is involved. Thankfully, he's directing, and once again voicing Edna Mode. Great news.

Great! Been waiting for years for this! I hope the time spent waiting for the right story plays out as good as they claim. What's cool too is that at the end of the first one, I just wanted it to keep going - and now it will!

On 7/17/2017 at 1:04 PM, Dynaman said:

Really looking forward to this but as someone else mentioned, Monsters University...

Good thing that Brad Bird didn't direct Monsters University so there's still a great chance. ^_^

Though, I just want to forget his TomorrowLand. :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Took the kids to see it the other day.  I must admit, I went in feeling pretty skeptical, thinking Pixar had long-since missed their chance to do a proper follow up to the original; was kinda like....

tumblr_inline_o80frq3cH71rsvzl8_400.gif

But I must say, I was pleasantly surprised.  As sequels go, it was pretty, well--incredible.  It was well written; entertaining enough to keep the kids in the audience engrossed pretty much the whole time, while still layered enough to keep the parents from being bored into a coma.  Hehe, I had to stifle the urge to yell out "That was totally wicked!" at the end of the big climax.  :p 

That isn't to say that there aren't, erm, issues though.  Just like with Syndrome, with this story I'm not totally convinced that the bad-guy's intentions are all that, well--evil.  If you listen to what Screenslaver's actually saying during the takeover broadcast, you may find yourself thinking: um, this guy's actually making a legitimate point. 

Overall, this one gets a thumbs up.  Like a lot of Pixar's other films, it's good enough to see more than once.

Edited by reddsun1

I saw it a couple weekends ago. The first film is one of my all time favorite animated films- it checked all the boxes. So, my anticipation for this film was pretty high. It was ok, but felt like a sequel. It lacked the heart of the first film, just going for action and laughs. Honestly, I think the first film was funnier, too. Jack-Jack and his menagerie of powers was often at the core of the humor in the new film. I did like the focus on Elasti-Girl and her role in the film; it was a bit of irony that the more mature audience members could relate to. I was hoping for some deeper coming-of-age stuff, especially for Violet. It was touched on, but not really in any kind of meaningful way. I think Brad Bird just wanted to make a lighter film this go round. It was a fun film, the banter was witty, the relationships still as we remember them from the first film, but not as emotionally invested as the first, which IMHO, was a significant reason why that film set itself apart, and arguably above, other American animated films. Given its box-office success, I hope Disney greenlights Incredibles 3, and Brad writes a more mature, emotionally invested script with a more challenging, if threatening, villain. Syndrome's goading Mr. Incredible to kill his assistant still stands out as particularly dark scene for a Disney film, and the scene where Mr. Incredible admits he's not strong enough to live without his family still chokes me up.

Saw this a couple days ago with the nephews. We all really liked it. I never saw the original as a classic, so I didn't go in expecting this one to be one, either. It didn't turn out to be one, but it's not bad; it's just an overall good movie.

The short before it, Bao, was more interesting. The younger nephew didn't get the metaphor at all, and apparently so didn't a lot of people. I had to explain it to him afterward. (Hint: The dumpling isn't literal.)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just watched this on Netflix and although it was decent I'm glad I didn't see it in the theater.  As others noted it didn't have the emotional punch that the first one did.  In some ways it felt more like it was checking off boxes on the "comments on modern life" checklist.  Granted - the first one did that as well but it did it better.