Arcadia SDF-1 Movie version 1/3000 reissue

Darotower

7 hours ago, Knuckles7173 said:

A bit late, but I stumbled upon this thread and decided to show what @sharky was talking about :)

This is my PF SDF-1 hovering above a geocraper city.

IMG_1127.jpg

Holy **** that is amazing!!

I immediately looked up geocraper and the scale is pretty damn close (1/2500). Looks like I'm going to have to pick some up. :o

7 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

That is an amazing picture.

I would love to see one where the Macross is half submerged in a lake with bridges going between it and the mainland.

Thanks. That would involve either a) dissecting the SDF-1 or b) constructing a deep box to house the lower half of its torso. Haha.

5 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Holy **** that is amazing!!

I immediately looked up geocraper and the scale is pretty damn close (1/2500). Looks like I'm going to have to pick some up. :o

Yeah, that was exactly what came across my mind when I saw the geocraper kits. But they are damn worth it! :)

7 hours ago, Knuckles7173 said:

Thanks. That would involve either a) dissecting the SDF-1 or b) constructing a deep box to house the lower half of its torso. Haha.

I was thinking the latter idea.  Please do not cut an SDF-1 in half to fulfill my scene.

LOL, this "SDF-1 Macross Class Super Dimensional Fortress Breakdown" video showed up on my YouTube recommendations today.  After watching it, I too am wondering why the bridge had voice-only telephones when it was equipped with real-time video communications.

1 minute ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

LOL, this "SDF-1 Macross Class Super Dimensional Fortress Breakdown" video showed up on my YouTube recommendations today.  After watching it, I too am wondering why the bridge had voice-only telephones when it was equipped with real-time video communications.

I saw that yesterday. The dude's pronunciation of "Macross" and listening to the Robotech dub physically hurt me. :vava:

Anyway, it's the same reason the VF-1 has an old school antenna: because it was made in 1982. :lol:

But he has many other good points. Like why is there a window on the bridge looking out into space? That's really useless and an extra vulnerability.

8 hours ago, Lolicon said:

I saw that yesterday. The dude's pronunciation of "Macross" and listening to the Robotech dub physically hurt me. :vava:

* watches youtube video *

Gah! It's the upside-down pronunciation from the ADV dub. How that ever became an official thing, I'll never understand.

1 hour ago, DewPoint said:

Hardwired for security!  Or if you bothering the captain when he's trying to sleep.

Or maybe the Zentraedi are trying to hack into the ship's systems to take them offline so the Cylons--

Er, sorry. Wrong franchise. :D

1 hour ago, technoblue said:

* watches youtube video *

Gah! It's the upside-down pronunciation from the ADV dub. How that ever became an official thing, I'll never understand.

Pronunciation double-take ! From wikipedia, the definitive source of truth.

Macross (マクロス, Makurosu, English: /məˈkrɒs/)

The series title comes from the name of the main human spacecraft (which is usually shortened from Super Dimension Fortress to SDF-1 Macross as it is the first). The original name for the Macross project was Battle City Megarodo (or Battle City Megaroad, as the Japanese transliteration to either "L" or "R" gives the title a double meaning in reference to the story line: Megaload, referring to the spacecraft containing an entire city of people; and Megaroad, referring to the long journey through space back to Earth); however, one of the sponsors of the project, Big West Advertising, was a fan of Shakespeare and wanted the series and the spacecraft to be named Macbeth (マクベス, Makubesu). A compromise was made with the title Macross (マクロス, Makurosu) due to its similar pronunciation to Macbeth in Japanese and because it still contained connotations to the original title. The word Macross comes from a wordplay combination of the prefix "macro" in reference to its massive size in comparison to human vehicles (though when compared with the alien ships in the series, it is a relatively small gun destroyer) and the distance they must cross.

:unknw::friends:

21 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Like why is there a window on the bridge looking out into space? That's really useless and an extra vulnerability.

Well, that was a well-established anime trope by 1982...

28102732_arcadiawindow.jpeg.2a7033c285bb0dcaf2f886429cf9a31c.jpeg

Virtually every ship in Space Battleship Yamato and Mobile Suit Gundam featured large bridge windows -- Mobile Suits frequently took advantage of that vulnerability, in fact -- so we could hardly expect Tatsunoko to do otherwise with their latest space opera... 

latest?cb=20130415235133

...particularly after the influence of Star Wars on science-fiction as a whole.

fireandbrimstone.jpg

However, when the Starship Enterprise was deliberately redesigned for J.J. Abrams' 2009 film with a bridge window instead of a viewscreen (ignoring four decades of established Star Trek canon), the result was unjustifiably stupid.

USS_Enterprise_(alternate_reality)_viewscreen.jpg.90660ce7e8d40aa82e021e434005ba53.jpg

It all comes down to suspension of disbelief, I suppose.  :unknw:

SSRN Seaview from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (c1964) is an even more questionable "windowed bridge/command deck"...

Large-scale Seaview Submarine Replica

My question is why does it bother you?:unknw:

The hull armour of the Macross got penetrated by any Zentran weapon that hit it, so what's the difference when we're talking about "an energy barrier is your only real defense" level weaponry?

also: *ahem*Ovetechnology... I'm sure they're onto things like Transparent Aluminum, right?:D

Edited by slide

Never said any of it bothered me. Just questioning it from a practical perspective, as the guy was doing in the video.

If being unrealistic is something that really bothered me, why would I be into a show about transforming jets and singing idols? Or anything in fiction, for that matter. :p

1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

Never said any of it bothered me. Just questioning it from a practical perspective, as the guy was doing in the video.

If being unrealistic is something that really bothered me, why would I be into a show about transforming jets and singing idols? Or anything in fiction, for that matter. :p

Hey now... singing idols are a real thing.  

*holds up giant BTS and Stray Kids banners*

... and they can save all of humanity!  :p

On 6/25/2020 at 8:19 PM, Lolicon said:

On naval vessels you at least get a nice view of the sky and sea. On a spaceship you get a nice view of... nothing.  EVERYTHING

Sory, but I just HAD to fix that one! :D

:rofl:

Edited by slide

I got the standard version and I’m slowly updating it to match the premium as closely as possible. I’ve got it narrowed down that the most likely candidate for the paint they used is either exactly or very similar to glow – on gun sight paint and craft paint. Specifically bubblegum red and yellow which look more like an orange-ish pink and greenish yellow. They also have the same texture.

146AF74C-B179-4D6F-ADF5-B64C38A4118A.jpeg

342B0A54-8A38-423D-8686-C8DD0545A284.jpeg

1F8292AA-420C-4EB5-B07D-6F15AD3EF48D.jpeg

E1069F7F-07B9-400A-B567-E71E65EE8C1F.jpeg

E4C5B712-DFE5-42DE-B627-1C2E913BBD08.jpeg

3DBC13C0-627C-41E6-8C94-B04A36C4BA5F.jpeg

4EF7FA6E-2807-45B9-838C-9DF101D175FD.jpeg

8EDEB59E-7788-44D1-B6B7-5C15451956C8.jpeg

Does anyone happen to know if there is a safe way to disassemble the leg with the city? I am of the opinion that the label made for the city background will properly fit but may have been designed without keeping in mind that the buyer would not have good access to disassembling the city. I do believe there is enough space and the sticker is formed to apply behind the city structures. And they definitely seem to of be a piece that is applied over that flat section. I took what screws off that I could today but it seems that I might have to go for screws that are hidden under pieces that are snapped over the screws before they are shipped out. Curious if anyone has done this. I do not want to take too many risks and would be more happy leaving the city alone if I’m too likely to do nothing but cause damage.

48 minutes ago, Kamina337 said:

Does anyone happen to know if there is a safe way to disassemble the leg with the city? I am of the opinion that the label made for the city background will properly fit but may have been designed without keeping in mind that the buyer would not have good access to disassembling the city. I do believe there is enough space and the sticker is formed to apply behind the city structures. And they definitely seem to of be a piece that is applied over that flat section. I took what screws off that I could today but it seems that I might have to go for screws that are hidden under pieces that are snapped over the screws before they are shipped out. Curious if anyone has done this. I do not want to take too many risks and would be more happy leaving the city alone if I’m too likely to do nothing but cause damage.

151597821_MacrossCityrev.jpg.f82207e7cd2eaccfab241adba8b422d7.jpg

Once you get the background in there, it's not going anywhere so it may not be perfect but I'm totally fine with just having the background lodged in there without sticking.

11 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Looks great, thanks for the paint info, as the bits at the end of the extending booms on the main guns worry me a bit.

Yes. The paint dries it’s kind of a hard layer or bead where it is placed. And then it appears they apply the topcoat to help protect the painted additions. But if it ever does snap these are definitely matches for the color.

http://www.glow-on.com/

53 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

151597821_MacrossCityrev.jpg.f82207e7cd2eaccfab241adba8b422d7.jpg

Once you get the background in there, it's not going anywhere so it may not be perfect but I'm totally fine with just having the background lodged in there without sticking.

So did you literally just slide it back behind and get it to lay right?So did you literally just slide it back behind and get it to lay right?

8 minutes ago, Kamina337 said:

So did you literally just slide it back behind and get it to lay right?So did you literally just slide it back behind and get it to lay right?

Yep, it was a pita to get it in there and fit but once I did it sits there nicely. I'm not sure how it shows up there but I like how in the back right corner, it is also seamless because instead of having it fold and form fit like a sticker would, it's just curved around.