Arcadia SDF-1 Movie version 1/3000 reissue

Darotower

7 hours ago, jenius said:

Yeah... I won't be doing that. I also just put my toys away after a review so the work just isn't worth it.

So the entire anymoon collection is just sitting in storage?  I'm not sure why, but that makes me mildly uncomfortable... :unsure:

To each their own, of course.

Understandable.  I have really young nieces and nephews visit sometimes, and it is crazy how fast they will run at this stuff to check it out.  Luckily all my collection is behind glass so nothing happens, but even the cat isn't allowed in the same room as the collection unsupervised. :lol:

1 hour ago, jenius said:

I have small children, it's safer for everyone.

1 hour ago, HardlyNever said:

Understandable.  I have really young nieces and nephews visit sometimes, and it is crazy how fast they will run at this stuff to check it out.  Luckily all my collection is behind glass so nothing happens, but even the cat isn't allowed in the same room as the collection unsupervised. :lol:

I have two small kids and animals. My stuff is in my garage (man cave) behind glass too. 

I live in a very high cost of living area and my photo rig takes up too much space as it is. My kids have been great so far but I would really have to infringe on space that can be used for a lot of other things and wouldn't have anyone to blame but myself if it resulted in damage. Storage and selling off excess toys works best for me. I also kind of like that I can have house guests come over and it doesn't have to be a point of conversation :)

it doesn't seem like that should have much of an impact. Do you have some really strong lights to put it under? The glow is pretty dramatic on mine but I have been viewing it after having it under giant LED photo lamps for a while. My normal room light doesn't seem to have much impact.

1 hour ago, jenius said:

I live in a very high cost of living area and my photo rig takes up too much space as it is. My kids have been great so far but I would really have to infringe on space that can be used for a lot of other things and wouldn't have anyone to blame but myself if it resulted in damage. Storage and selling off excess toys works best for me. I also kind of like that I can have house guests come over and it doesn't have to be a point of conversation :)

Makes a lot of sense. My daughter is always saying I don't need to buy any more comic books because they are already filling up her entire room and there isn't one spot in the house that isn't displaying toys if possible or storing boxes. 

11 minutes ago, jenius said:

Proof!

Arcadia-PF-SDF-1-3-4K.jpg

Nice!

I can't help but think "Hey lighthead, hey Christmas tree!"

Yeah, that's not going to represent how most people will see the toy. As you can see on the left, there are some very bright lights shining down on that thing and those lights are immediately out of frame. I then turned off all the lights (including the computer because the camera is so sensitive it was picking up the glow from the keyboard). I used the scene setting for a night-time picture with a tripod. The glow-in-the-dark effect cast a lot of green on the background so I then dropped the exposure a bit in Photoshop to actually darken that picture on the right up a smidge. The average person who isn't going to absolutely blast this thing with a ton of light and then view it in the most pitch black room possible is going to have a much more muted effect. I'm really looking forward to taking pictures in cruiser mode... since it was a bit mistransformed out of the box I went straight to attack mode and have started there. Here's the pic that retained the green glow from the paint, which do you guys prefer?

Arcadia-PF-SDF-1-3B.jpg

6 hours ago, Mommar said:

My SDF-1 doesn’t seem to really glowat all.  Could the fact it sat in high heat on the porch for six-ish hours affect it?

I mentioned a few pages back that I was underwhelmed by the glow in the dark. It’s not as bright as the photo promos make them out to be to the naked eye. For example, in some promo shots you can see there’s a light shining on the SDF-1 but the glow in the dark is still very intense. I haven’t been able to replicate that look without the use of a camera.

It’s a shame really because that promo shot of the glow in the dark feature was the main reason I opted to get this version and sell off my Yamato.

7 hours ago, jenius said:

Yeah, that's not going to represent how most people will see the toy. As you can see on the left, there are some very bright lights shining down on that thing and those lights are immediately out of frame. I then turned off all the lights (including the computer because the camera is so sensitive it was picking up the glow from the keyboard). I used the scene setting for a night-time picture with a tripod. The glow-in-the-dark effect cast a lot of green on the background so I then dropped the exposure a bit in Photoshop to actually darken that picture on the right up a smidge. The average person who isn't going to absolutely blast this thing with a ton of light and then view it in the most pitch black room possible is going to have a much more muted effect. I'm really looking forward to taking pictures in cruiser mode... since it was a bit mistransformed out of the box I went straight to attack mode and have started there. Here's the pic that retained the green glow from the paint, which do you guys prefer?

Arcadia-PF-SDF-1-3B.jpg

Thanks for sharing! I like the version here mainly because you can see the figure better. 

1 hour ago, F360 said:

Those glow in the dark lights make a HUGE difference. :wub:

The lights do make it pop, but I with the illumination last a longer. Still looks great though.

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

Looking good!

Thanks @Slave IV!  I am working on getting better shots of the glow in the dark paint.

1 hour ago, ArchieNov said:

@Saburo Does it require some photo editing or manipulation in order to achieve this look? This is kinda what I hoped it would look like on my shelf, but it doesn’t.

@ArchieNov, I always take my shots to minimize the amount of photo editing/manipulation I need to do.  These shots as do my other photos have some processing done to them. The glow int he dark is tricky to capture, blasted it with my studio lights for a few min to charge up the paint. (I wrote that because it sounded cooler than me typing I put it under some lights. :lol:) then turned them down to take the shot.

It can look like that on your shelf for a brief moment till the illumination fades.

Edited by Saburo

18 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Soooo..... 

Did Arcadia add articulation at the knees and hips to the PF SDF-1, to make it movie accurate?

image.png.c771dc4ea8c4f6d535ce4baea023b92b.png

I am now imagining the SDF-1... sitting in the corner, smoking, getting high. 

Edited by Shizuka the Cat