Arcadia SDF-1 Movie version 1/3000 reissue

Darotower

6 minutes ago, Negotiator said:

for all those that are getting this for the first time, you can open up the shoulders and get the rail guns facing forward.  i still think this is how it was meant to be.

sdf_mod3.jpg

Stands looks nice, but I hope Yeti makes an adapter for this guy. I'm guessing it will require two alpha stands. It'll look really great with his stands!

22 minutes ago, jenius said:

I'll be putting up a 4k review this weekend. I got mine from NY, came out great.

Can't wait for that!

21 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

NY may have terrible customer service, and they may charge you extra for shipping, but they do at least package their stuff well.

Mine came from NY with the box pretty much immaculate, and everything inside looks in good shape.

Yes they do package their items very well which is why some of the customer service issues get a slight pass and overlooked most of the time. Their shipping is more, but the end total is usually less than the competition. I guess add it up any way you want as long as the end result is less than the rest.

Edited by RED WOLF

5 hours ago, derex3592 said:

The 01 and 02 came with the PE parts that someone here sold me along with the glow in the dark stickers that were originally sold with the 1:3000 kit version. 

Ah well. Unless I can find those specific parts, I may as well just buy another PF version. You know, so I can have one in attack mode. :)

it's just the typical flightpose stand.  Be careful tho, I've had to put plastic wrap around the tips as it's known for sometimes damaging plastic surfaces, especially painted/sprayed ones.  The Premium SDF-1 has sprayed matte surfaces in spades.

image.png

9 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

Now the fun begins, small tiny parts! :p

I look forward to your pics of the SDF-1 especially with the lights turned off. 

I took the pic a few hours ago and I am now done, that was fun.  I was afraid that one of the really small covers would fall and get lost.

For those that installed the finishing parts, did you have 2 left over parts (30 and 32)?  I went over the instructions to make sure I didn't miss anything and I find no listing for where pars 30 and 32 go.

Edited by Saburo

5 hours ago, Saburo said:

I took the pic a few hours ago and I am now done, that was fun I afraid that one of the really small covers would fall and get lost.

For those that installed the finishing parts, did you have 2 left over parts (30 and 32)?  I went over the instructions to make sure I didn't miss anything and I find no listing for where pars 30 and 32 go.

Yeah there are really 2 leftover parts. I read someone say that they’re used when you’re building the kit version, and are installed somewhere inside. But since you don’t see that area, leaving them out doesn’t matter.

On 12/28/2017 at 11:08 PM, wmkjr said:

From the assembly kit instruction manual:

5a46054826eee_SDF-1assemblymanual-8.thumb.jpg.19af9eb8a107cb090d72d0933c0a741f.jpg

The google translation for the lower right says that they're parts that disappear after completion so you do not have to install it.  I believe the forward section hides it. I dunno how the instruction book looks but it may have stated it in there already.

Save that white paper. It's your serial number for your SDF-1. Might be of help if you can get HLJ or whomever to contact Arcadia.

12 minutes ago, RED WOLF said:

Anyone think this will sell out in the next week or so? I will order soon, but want to see some video reviews first. I'm wanting to go with NY.

Thoughts?

I don't see this selling out any time soon. I see it lingering for some time due to the price of admission. Maybe even getting a discount. Then I see down the road this becoming very sought after and bringing secondary market values of $1,000+. Just my prediction. I feel bad for anyone who has the original Yamato version still listed on Ebay for $1,000+  you'll really ever see that now. Lol

It will definitely be interesting to see how the secondary market treats this.  I think the entire Arcadia premium finish thing is a big question mark right now, in terms of long-term value, because it only started last year, and the production runs seems pretty low.  I wonder how the market will value the extra tampo and detailing over the next few years.  I'm also interested to see how much that varies between each product.

I think you're fine waiting another week, but I wouldn't wait much longer than that if you really want one.  I don't really see this getting a discount, but there might be a few that end up back at pre-order prices if retailers just can't move the remaining ones.  I doubt there is much supply out there, but demand is pretty niche.

I really feel like Arcadia's doing themselves a great disservice with how they treat the packaging on the PF releases. I know it's all about the contents but...  for the additional price I really feel like instead of taking away the standard product pics and giving you a black black box they should go opposite route and give you glorious artwork akin to what you get on a Bandai HMR box. Some nice Tenjin art or even any art at all would add to the "premium" feel of the overall presentation. Instead they take it the exact polar opposite direction and give you a plain black box with standard font white lettering. Odd choice. 

Edited by SuperDimensionalDave

6 hours ago, ArchieNov said:

Yeah there are really 2 leftover parts. I read someone say that they’re used when you’re building the kit version, and are installed somewhere inside. But since you don’t see that area, leaving them out doesn’t matter.

Thank you for the info @ArchieNov & @wmkjr! I thought I had missed something. My fingers are sore from installing the finishing parts, especially my thumbs it like I was playing all day long with the NES controller. :lol:

2 hours ago, RED WOLF said:

Any pictures after installing everything? 

Nothing yet, I'll be doing the studio shots soon.  I just needed install the finishing parts for the SDF-1's photoshoot. :D

2 hours ago, Mommar said:

So what's the recommended way to prep the finishing parts?

I am not saying this is the recommended way, but this how did it.

Cut the part off the sprue using a modelling spruce nipper, then sanded the any excess plastic part from the sprue. 

Edited by Saburo

I just use plain old nail clippers. One cut to remove from tree and then I use them to gnaw at any additional sprue still on piece. Probably not quite as smooth as sanding but to the naked eye it's just fine.  I just love repurposing. 

Edited by SuperDimensionalDave

13 minutes ago, SuperDimensionalDave said:

I just use plain old nail clippers. One cut to remove from tree and then I use them to gnaw at any additional sprue still on piece. Probably not quite as smooth as sanding but to the naked eye it's just fine.  I just love repurposing. 

Haha yeah! Might I suggest cuticle cutters though? I brought a model set as a gift to someone in China a while back and to build it, was searching everywhere for suitable nippers. Not being able to find model specific tools, I opted for some cuticle cutters that cost less than $1. They worked extremely well. When I got home and my hands on a good set of Tamyia nippers (God Hands too hard to get or too expensive) I found that the cuticle cutters cut just as clean. only difference is the Tamyia cutters are a bit more comfortable if you are cutting a lot of sprues at one time.

24 minutes ago, RED WOLF said:

It's in Chinese, but it's the only video I could find. They do a nice job of comparing the other version as well. Its nice to see scale here along with the florescent paint.

*sigh*  I should not have watched that video... now part of me kind of wants the PF SDF-1.

Must... resist....  

Too... expensive....

47 minutes ago, RED WOLF said:

It's in Chinese, but it's the only video I could find. They do a nice job of comparing the other version as well. Its nice to see scale here along with the florescent paint.

The PF looks fing magnificent! So glad I have this coming and well worth the extra expense. It would cost me way more than $300 in time and materials to come up with something not as good.

Edited by Slave IV

26 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

*sigh*  I should not have watched that video... now part of me kind of wants the PF SDF-1.

Must... resist....  

Too... expensive....

...you must not resist... give in to the dark side... it is your DESTINY! :D

Here is another video. It's Chinese, but atleast this time they have only cool background music. Also, is shows the installation of a few sprue pieces (covering screw holes).

I just ordered this via NY. What a costly few weeks it has been. 

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

Haha yeah! Might I suggest cuticle cutters though? I brought a model set as a gift to someone in China a while back and to build it, was searching everywhere for suitable nippers. Not being able to find model specific tools, I opted for some cuticle cutters that cost less than $1. They worked extremely well. When I got home and my hands on a good set of Tamyia nippers (God Hands too hard to get or too expensive) I found that the cuticle cutters cut just as clean. only difference is the Tamyia cutters are a bit more comfortable if you are cutting a lot of sprues at one time.

Good idea also. Believe it or not that was first thing I tried. Works perfect but i just prefer the clippers. I have kinda big and clumsy hands and fat fingers so I don't know the clippers just feel more maneuverable. Personal preference I guess. 

26 minutes ago, SuperDimensionalDave said:

Good idea also. Believe it or not that was first thing I tried. Works perfect but i just prefer the clippers. I have kinda big and clumsy hands and fat fingers so I don't know the clippers just feel more maneuverable. Personal preference I guess. 

Yeah, whatever works...the cuticle cutters are just more like model clippers and seem easier to get around the sprues for me. Unless you are taling about one of those side cutting fingernail clippers.

1 hour ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Must... resist....  

Too... expensive....

You know you want it.  Just buy it.

2 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Must... resist....  

Too... expensive....

"This one costs 53780 yen.."

His wife: "How much did you say?"

"ah..."

"Correction, this one costs 5378 yen."

7 hours ago, Saburo said:

My fingers are sore from installing the finishing parts, especially my thumbs it like I was playing all day long with the NES controller. :lol:

Yup, mine were hurting for an hour or two after I was done. Now that they’re in there, I don’t see how they’re ever coming off without damaging it in some way.