Arcadia SDF-1 Movie version 1/3000 reissue

Darotower

4 minutes ago, Zx31 said:

I feel like just buying the supplies alone to even start to turn the regular into a premium replica would run $100+ if you didn't already own the paints and clear coats.

Ya, materials add up. I"m trying to weigh in on the time and materials needed vs just shelling out. I"m not trying to be cheap as I love to take on projects of my own. These days I prefer my toys stock and done at the factory vs doing them myself. Not only for the quality, but time is a huge factor for me. I was just curious what others have done in the past or currently. I do appreciate your input.

Mine just arrived from NY. Gotta love how I paid 8,700 yen on shipping when the shipping label clearly states 5,900 yen of postage fees.

It's probably still much cheaper than HLJ and other places shipped so I'm not complaining. :)

I'd be curious what the "do-it-yourself" cost starting from scratch would be for the SDF-1. The only point of comparison I have is completely repainting a HG Kshatriya and the paint alone for that ended up over double the price of the kit.

8 minutes ago, locidm said:

Mine just arrived from NY. Gotta love how I paid 8,700 yen on shipping when the shipping label clearly states 5,900 yen of postage fees.

It's probably still much cheaper than HLJ and other places shipped so I'm not complaining. :)

Typical NY and their high shipping costs, but it's still like $30 cheaper than HLJ. 

Just received my SDF-1 Premium Version today from Nippon Yasan.  Upon opening up the packaging I noticed I am missing the bridge (head).

I believe there was suppose to be a parts package in the middle of the styrofoam box.  I could not find that part anywhere. 

I hope Nippon Yasan has some good customer service to resolve this issue. :(

2G2Dg.jpg

2G2Dh.jpg

2 minutes ago, neko878 said:

Just received my SDF-1 Premium Version today from Nippon Yasan.  Upon opening up the packaging I noticed I am missing the bridge (head).

I believe there was suppose to be a parts package in the middle of the styrofoam box.  I could not find that part anywhere. 

2G2Dg.jpg

2G2Dh.jpg

Oh shite!  At $600 that’s no effing joke, man!  Unfortunately NY is not known. For their customer service.

Edited by Mommar

54 minutes ago, neko878 said:

2G2Dg.jpg

2G2Dh.jpg

You styrfoam looks different than the pic on anymoon. 

D65C1D27-C4BE-4423-A293-71C383AFADBC.thumb.jpeg.6f51dd9e0d8e705620451b0c58a7d542.jpeg

1 hour ago, neko878 said:

2G2Dg.jpg

HOLY ****!!! And having to depend on NY's customer service to resolve this is even worse! Oh man I hope they actually do something to fix the issue instead of some useless canned response. This sh** ain't cheap!!

Let us know what they say.

I was seriously thinking of buying a second one from NY but I think I'll wait and see how this plays out first. :o

Edited by Lolicon

Got mine in today.  Out of the box, I was definitely impressed with the level of detail overall.  Very few piece that I own made such a good impression right from the get-go.  When handling it, there was the ubiquitous "unreasonable amount of force required" and "one side much stiffer than the other" that has been the hallmark of Arcadia releases, for me at least.  The topcoat was probably contributing that to some degree, but it is still annoying to constantly have this issue with Arcadia.  But those are minor complaints, overall I'm very impressed with the build and detailing, and I'm looking forward to putting in all the runner pieces this weekend.

IMG_20180507_191600.jpg

IMG_20180507_191352.jpg

18 hours ago, wmkjr said:

You can probably DIY one that's equal to or better than a premium finish. It's all a matter of how much of your time spent to do it is worth to you. You got the time/skills then get the regular release. Don't wanna /can't do it yourself then get the premium.  

I feel like I should chime in here. This is my Yamato SDF-1 from the original release.   What I did was panel line it with Flory's, and then take scrap water slide decals from Star Wars kits and whatever else I had lying around and cut them into little bitty pieces with my x-acto knife and stick them all over the ship.  I later added the PE parts--but those were waaaaay more trouble than they were worth honestly, and just break off if you handle it to much, especially getting it in and out of a curio cabinet.  So .... does it look better than the Arcadia Christmas Tree version? ?? I'll let you be the judge.  For the price I paid, and a few hours of work, I did not go for the Premium Finish.  

post-11393-0-22381900-1313799999.jpg

post-11393-0-74489900-1313799990.jpg

post-11393-0-93480900-1313799980.jpg

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

1 hour ago, derex3592 said:

I feel like I should chime in here. This is my Yamato SDF-1 from the original release.   What I did was panel line it with Flory's, and then take scrap water slide decals from Star Wars kits and whatever else I had lying around and cut them into little bitty pieces with my x-acto knife and stick them all over the ship.  I later added the PE parts--but those were waaaaay more trouble than they were worth honestly, and just break off if you handle it to much, especially getting it in and out of a curio cabinet.  So .... does it look better than the Arcadia Christmas Tree version? ?? I'll let you be the judge.  For the price I paid, and a few hours of work, I did not go for the Premium Finish. 

@derex3592, you did an amazing job on it.  If I had the patience to do it would have gotten a regular release and detail it.

2 hours ago, derex3592 said:

@derex3592 you old fart, your did a fantastic job! You're making think of actually making the time to detail up my old Yamato version instead of possibly selling it off for another PF version.

May I ask where you got the 01 and 02 decals for the ARMDs? If I could get those two specific decals, that would probably tip my decision in favor of keeping it.

2 hours ago, derex3592 said:

post-11393-0-74489900-1313799990.jpg

post-11393-0-93480900-1313799980.jpg

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

Great job. This has me really thinking. I like the waterslide idea for the lights instead of the fluorescent paint. 

Best deal I can find is $388 shipped to USA brand new. Decisions... 

N-Y used the Arcadia box to ship out my 2x SDF-1 PF.  ;)

IMG_2052a.jpg.5a6c812e999502fb73714ee004a453b0.jpg

But they removed the individual brown box and bubble wrapped the 2 for better protection (still pretty thin):huh:

IMG_2053a.jpg.1341a800224733e1da3c4d95944ffeae.jpg

The shipping box was in great shape but one of my box received a soft dent due to the double folding part of the bubble wrapped and sliding them back in the tight fit Arcadia shipper box.:angry:

IMG_2054a.jpg.a7a70fa254d7bf8a66a72c8b55d39802.jpg

Since someone had a missing Bridge , I had to open it asap for a quick inspection before dinner.   

ALL in good. :wub:

IMG_2055a.jpg.49da6a1c20000190000f360c86161e7d.jpg

1 hour ago, jenius said:

Got mine, it was a pleasant surprise when I pulled the ARMD out. The toy is beautiful to be sure. Now to put it together (I'm not touching those sprues).

I know you're not a model maker, jenius, but I highly recommend you remove those detail parts and screw covers, sand down the sprue marks, and apply them to your ship.  The parts are so well-designed, you don't need glue to attach them -- in fact, you won't even need to consult instructions, since the parts are uniquely shaped to fit their particular spots -- and the results speak for themselves.  

reconsider.thumb.jpg.140e91eea6190be401ce3d378bbfca8c.jpg

Look at the shoulders, the interior walls of the main gun, and especially those beautiful ARMD platforms.  Compare the unfinished toy you have in your hands to the completed piece I've photographed.  Those parts make a much bigger difference than you realize.  B))

8 hours ago, F360 said:

N-Y used the Arcadia box to ship out my 2x SDF-1 PF.  ;)

IMG_2052a.jpg.5a6c812e999502fb73714ee004a453b0.jpg

But they removed the individual brown box and bubble wrapped the 2 for better protection (still pretty thin):huh:

IMG_2053a.jpg.1341a800224733e1da3c4d95944ffeae.jpg

The shipping box was in great shape but one of my box received a soft dent due to the double folding part of the bubble wrapped and sliding them back in the tight fit Arcadia shipper box.:angry:

IMG_2054a.jpg.a7a70fa254d7bf8a66a72c8b55d39802.jpg

Since someone had a missing Bridge , I had to open it asap for a quick inspection before dinner.   

ALL in good. :wub:

IMG_2055a.jpg.49da6a1c20000190000f360c86161e7d.jpg

Thats interesting, you got a box with 2 in a case. I ordered two from Arcadia and got individually boxed units but taped together. Maybe those are for retailers only. 

I got my premium version in yesterday at work, no way was I going to ship it to my house and get the look of "How much was that?" from my wife. I was very tempted to open it up and SWOOOSH it as I left the office with my phone playing the theme song. 

1 hour ago, anubis20 said:

Thats interesting, you got a box with 2 in a case. I ordered two from Arcadia and got individually boxed units but taped together. Maybe those are for retailers only. 

Yeah , you’re probably right , but i thought they were all Arcadia web shop only . 

13 hours ago, Lolicon said:

@derex3592 you old fart, your did a fantastic job! You're making think of actually making the time to detail up my old Yamato version instead of possibly selling it off for another PF version.

May I ask where you got the 01 and 02 decals for the ARMDs? If I could get those two specific decals, that would probably tip my decision in favor of keeping it.

The 01 and 02 came with the PE parts that someone here sold me along with the glow in the dark stickers that were originally sold with the 1:3000 kit version. 

20 minutes ago, RED WOLF said:

No reviews of this guy yet?

Search for tekering, Gundam@EFSF, and ArchieNov. They've all posted their thoughts and some pics already in this thread. Saburo is also posting pics and thoughts in the recent purchases thread.

I don't know if there are any video reviews yet for the PF version.

Edited by technoblue

23 minutes ago, RED WOLF said:

No reviews of this guy yet?

The existing reviews of the non-pf version will give you an idea on what the mold does transformation, articulation and gimmick-wise.  None of that has changed. 

There are plenty of pictures in this thread from various people, that should give you an idea on how "premium" this finish is.  

I gave my initial thoughts and a couple pictures a few replies back.  As someone that never had the regular yamato/arcadia sdf-1, I was very impressed with the look right out of the box.  This piece is probably the most detailed Macross collectible I own, in any scale.  Handling was a little rough for me out of the box, but like anything else, it should loosen up a bit over time.

Is it worth the almost $600 price tag?  That will always be a subjective answer, but I gave myself permission to "forget" about the price tag on this particular purchase.  If you're looking for bang-for-your-buck fun, this piece isn't it, as almost any 1/60 valk will give more "fun" per-dollar.  But if you love the sdf-1 and want something that is going to look amazing on display, this definitely delivers in spades.

Anyone on here order from NY and have any issues with their SDF-1 other than that one guy that was missing his bridge? NY has it about $30 cheaper than HLJ. I have ordered from both with no issues at all. I know HLJ has way better customer service vs NY's. For, the fellow missing your bridge has NY fixed this or acknowledged it or are you at a loss?