Arcadia SDF-1 Movie version 1/3000 reissue

Darotower

Me too, i saw it live at wonderfest and pretty much it’s just a plain weathering paint job and glow in the dark paint. That’s it.  Sheesh I can do that on my own.  So I went with the regular version. :):) 

1 minute ago, erikos0311 said:

Me too, i saw it live at wonderfest and pretty much it’s just a plain weathering paint job and glow in the dark paint. That’s it.  Sheesh I can do that on my own.  So I went with the regular version. :):) 

Did they show if any painting was done on the city?

Unfortunately, they didn’t have the covers off. But honestly, I wasn’t impressed with the work and that’s why I decided to cancel my premium and go for the basic SDF-1. 

10 minutes ago, easnoddy said:

Doesn't look like much difference on the ARMD's except the glow paint.  But I suck at painting and the red lines on the cannon booms are the main thing I'm glad are painted.  That and it's already paid for.

I believe some of those red lines are available as stickers in the regular release. 

I do think people are under-valuing how much some of those tiny paint apps really make the mold pop.  And that kinda stuff is pretty time consuming, at least for novice modelers/customizers.  I'm panel-lining one of my HMR valks, and that is going to end up taking well over two hours (but I'm new at it, and still pretty bad).  Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it is looking, maybe not $150 happy, but it is kind of hard to tell without actually getting it in hand.  But right now, I'm feeling confident about going with the PF version, and I skipped the PF versions of all the valks.

Just now, jenius said:

Will the PF version have all the runner parts installed? I hope so.

I'm not sure about installed, since the antennas and such won't fit on while it's in the box.

Hopefully they're at least removed from the runner, topcoated/decal'd, and put in bags?

10 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I'm not sure about installed, since the antennas and such won't fit on while it's in the box.

Hopefully they're at least removed from the runner, topcoated/decal'd, and put in bags?

I'm unclear what you guys are discussing.

I go back and forth. Ultimately it’s not a great value for me but I think it’s great that these ar available.

These figures keep getting more and more expensive. Manufacturing in China is just not as cheap as it used to be. I wonder if there will be a dip in prices when production ostensibly moves to someplace like Africa. 

I definitely am debating cancelling my M&M premiums, since I'd like to get a premium Roy above the rest, if any.. but I think the base SDF-1 is just too plain, and I'm not going to be getting more than one of them.  If I'm getting something that's really mostly good for a centerpiece, I'm going to splurge, and make it the fanciest version I can get.

Basically at this point, any premium release that becomes available will probably be of something I already have a copy of in the normal release flavor.  Then they just become duplicates that don't match. :p 

12 minutes ago, ArchieNov said:

Hmm, those new photos don’t seem to be as impressive as I’d have hoped, at least not for the price. But unfortunately, I already sold off my Yamato version in anticipation of this, so I have no choice but to keep my preorder.

Well, you could always get the Arcadia non-premium?

There will probably be several for sale once the premium comes out, and it's even still in stock on some online retailers for retail.

9 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

My only concern with this PF release is that hope it will not scratch any layers of topcoats while transforming it. Don't want to chip the coat and the paint. :rolleyes:

I think its pretty safe in that regard. I dont remember much chipping if any on the one I built. 

You know as much as I appreciate Arcadia giving us the option of regular release or a "premium" release. As far as I am concerned their "premium" release is equivalent to what other manufacturers namely Bandai give us as a regular release. Premium as in some tampos already applied. The fact that Arcadia overprices their toys and then with the "premium" adds to that overpricing just to give us what they should have given us on the original overpriced regular release is kinda insulting. That said I am underwhelmed by these pics of the premium release of the SDF-1 as expected. I am perfectly happy now owning two regular release SDF-1's for just a hair over the price of this premium finish one. I bought one SDF-1 at release and was waiting for a second one based on the details of what exactly we would get with the premium. My plan was to get a second one to open and display. Potentially the "premium" if it was worth it. I see how that it is not (to me) so I just bought another regular release on sale and that is the one I'll open when it arrives. Two plain janes for almost price of one "premium" is a better deal to me.  I'm sure they put a lot of effort into this premium but I just don't see the value in what their efforts delivered is all. 

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

I definitely am debating cancelling my M&M premiums, since I'd like to get a premium Roy above the rest, if any.. but I think the base SDF-1 is just too plain, and I'm not going to be getting more than one of them.  If I'm getting something that's really mostly good for a centerpiece, I'm going to splurge, and make it the fanciest version I can get.

Basically at this point, any premium release that becomes available will probably be of something I already have a copy of in the normal release flavor.  Then they just become duplicates that don't match. :p 

This pretty much sums it up for me. I don't have the Yamato version and the price difference for someone to do all the work for me is worth it. Plus, the pics of the PF version look good to me. Sure, someone who spends weeks doing it themselves might get a better look in some areas but they will still have sticker outlines.

The valks all look fine to me without the PF treatment but the only reason I got the upcoming 0S preordered is because I wanted an extra and it costs the same or less than aftermarket prices anyways.

This is how I approach this 'Premium Finish' SDF-1 release. I didn't get a chance of getting it when Yamato released it since I'm already late joining the Yamato bandwagon. And couldn't afford later the price it's going for aftermarket used which is around $650-800. Remember this is the regular Yamato release. Not the kit nor the 1/2000 version. And now Arcadia decided to re-release it and offer a PF version. So I'm thinking it's like saving some money before until I can afford to buy a Yamato one when someone decided to sell it again but instead I'm paying now the same amount (probably less) for a Premium Finish one.

And one other thing, I'm really not good on painting kits so I rather have Arcadia do it. And seeing how small those parts or details are that was painted in flourescent paint, I rather get it in this format than wait until I get better which is in 10 years time(?) and do a custom one. By then, I'm already too old and have shaky hands. ^_^

2 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

And one other thing, I'm really not good on painting kits so I rather have Arcadia do it. And seeing how small those parts or details are that was painted in flourescent paint, I rather get it in this format than wait until I get better which is in 10 years time(?) and do a custom one. By then, I'm already too old and have shaky hands. ^_^

Lol. I get it. And again I will say it is cool of Arcadia to give us collectors options. I. will without a doubt be adding fluorescent paint to the reg release that I open. I'm old enough where I already have the shaky hands but I'm gonna make it work lol. 

I worked on the Yamato kit version and trust me, paying the $2-300 mark up is worth it with the amount of work I had to put into that thing. And I didnt even apply the glow in the dark stickers :wacko::lol: 

Im going Premium on the SDF-1 because there is only one SDF-1... there isnt different J/S/A/D versions with some PF and some not. 

9 hours ago, Double Spy said:

Hopefully they will clear them out by Fall. I dont see the PF being a super hot fast mover.

Also, given the price, might also be a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery limited release.

• 2 weeks later...