Arcadia SDF-1 Movie version 1/3000 reissue

Darotower

Eh, I guess I'll reserve one at HLJ just in case I feel like I have to have one next spring.  Still not sure I want to spend that much, but we'll see how next spring works out.

Also, the thing with NY's boxes.. they love taking bigger boxes and cutting them down, then folding over the sides to make a new "top."  They're generally pretty sturdy, but the construction is also really sloppy, and you often get really lopsided looking boxes because they're making those folds against internal corrugation that's going the wrong way. <_<

Ordered at HLJ. Cancelled then ordered at NY. Too much of a price difference to not do it. This thing is expensive but it's not like I plan on having a fleet of them. I'll manage the expense for a one time treat (two times if they ever release the SDFM version). I know that if I purchased the standard version I'd always be looking at the premium wishing I had paid the extra $$$'s.

I also much prefer the release date on this vs the standard version. I'll be getting my tax return and bonus from work when the payment for the premium is due. Standard is coming out during the holiday season when money is more tight.

24 minutes ago, HardlyNever said:

Hmm... that NY price for the PF version is looking more doable... Anyone got any idea what they'll charge for shipping?  I just got my Defender from them, they seemed to have pretty average shipping prices.

If you add the PF to your shopping card you can click the big red calculate shipping button and they'll show you.  EMS is about $80.  UPS is $182.  Some of the slower options are $30 and $50.

Prices are getting crazy. Do I really need this toy? I would prefer good figures I think. But no one is doing that right now.

What's the pre-order cut date again? Also, anyone have problems with the stickers / lights on this one? I skimmed through but didn't see any complaints.

23 minutes ago, JetJockey said:

Prices are getting crazy. Do I really need this toy? I would prefer good figures I think. But no one is doing that right now.

What's the pre-order cut date again? Also, anyone have problems with the stickers / lights on this one? I skimmed through but didn't see any complaints.

12 minutes ago, wmkjr said:

None of us knows the durability/quality of the glow paint and tampo used on this one yet so its anyone's guess. Cut off for the PF is Sept 7 4pm Japan time. 

Just so everyone knows, that deadline date is based on Arcadia's online shop. So we're not sure if the other online stores will cut it off days or weeks before the said date.

5 hours ago, RoadWarriorMax said:

Also ordered from NY and it was $628 including ems shipping with tracking ouch :huh:

Will probably cancel the hlj.

but it could be a good buy and hold option to sell later.

Sounds like you let NY convert to usd? If you paid in yen, could have saved around $40. 

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

I'm sure everyone who shops with HLJ knows this but be sure to always check different combinations of items for shipping because it isn't always cheaper to combine everything.

That's true. 

I bought 2 Pacific Rim X-Plus figures from HLJ (the figures are large and come in very large boxes). It was cheaper to have them shipped separately than combined. 

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

I'm sure everyone who shops with HLJ knows this but be sure to always check different combinations of items for shipping because it isn't always cheaper to combine everything.

I'm not going to combine anything with this item since EMS only covers Y20000. So if anything happens during shipping, I already lost Y45000+ into it. So adding another item for combine shipping is a no-no for me. Just saying. ;)

34 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

I'm not going to combine anything with this item since EMS only covers Y20000. So if anything happens during shipping, I already lost Y45000+ into it. So adding another item for combine shipping is a no-no for me. Just saying. ;)

https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/ems/service/damage_en.html

According to this table, it looks like it is possible to increase insurance coverage for EMS up to 2 mil JPY. Given what NY is charging for shipping, the additional insurance coverage for the SDF-1 should be included with the EMS payment. It's only 100 to 150JPY extra and NY is seriously padding the shipping price.

Edited by technoblue

7 minutes ago, technoblue said:

https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/ems/service/damage_en.html

According to this table, it looks like it is possible to increase insurance coverage for EMS up to 2 mil JPY. Given what NY is charging for shipping, the additional insurance coverage for the SDF-1 should be included with the EMS payment. It's only 100 to 150JPY extra and NY is seriously padding the shipping price.

Nippon-yasan gives full coverage for EMS shipments

55 minutes ago, F360 said:

Thanks for clearing that up. Insurance helps the seller as much as it helps the buyer, so yeah it doesn't really make much sense to cap EMS coverage at the standard 20000JPY value. And here's the fine print on the subject from NY (scroll down to EMS):

https://www.nippon-yasan.com/cms.php?id_cms=1

Edited by technoblue

7 hours ago, wmkjr said:

None of us knows the durability/quality of the glow paint and tampo used on this one yet so its anyone's guess. Cut off for the PF is Sept 7 4pm Japan time. 

It's more the placement of the lights. Like how a few people posted that the lights were wrong on the Kids Logic version. I'm not a expert on the SDF-1. Honestly I always preferred the valkyries. I got into Robotech so late that I didn't even know the ship could transform till late in the show. The first episode of Macross I watched was "Miss Macross." I don't remember the ship transforming for a bunch of episodes later.

1 hour ago, F360 said:

Yeah but they are terrible with returns. I don't think I'll ever order from them again.

18 minutes ago, eXis10z said:

When you guys order from NY, do you choose to pay in your local currency or JP yen?

for USD, paying in JPY is always cheaper, because NY's rate for JPY->USD is really bad....worse than credit card and even paypal conversion rates

I pay JP yen vs USD. To get an estimate, try using a currency calculator to convert the NY local currency price to yen. If it's higher than NY's JPY rate use yen to pay.

Here are estimates for the yen equivalent from NY using the rates on google currency converter right now (actual rates will vary) along with the local currency rate equivalent if paid in JP yen:

US Dollar: 612.80 = 66877.66 yen            

Yen: 61280 yen =  USD 561.45, EUR 475.96, GBP 439.16, CHF 542.41 

Euro: 520,88 = 67109.38 yen

Britsh Pound: 477.98 = 66682.98 yen

Swiss Franc: 594 = 67141.40 yen

Edited by wmkjr
changed font color

8 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Why would you lose any money if it was damaged? PayPal and or your credit card covers that. It's their responsibility to get the item to you as new, not other way around.

I assume it would be the better solution to chose your own currency if you expect the exchange rate to go down until you have to pay for the order. 

If it foreign currency gets expensive enough to offset the worse exchange rate  today you would save money in the process right?