Macross blu-ray set with English subs?

bpstrat

Does anyone know anything about this 6 disk blu-ray set I saw on eBay:

Super Dimension Fortress Macross Bluray Box 1-36 + Movie & OVA ENGLISH SUB A/US

It says it has English subtitles for the original Macross TV series, the DYRL movie, Macross II and some other extras. It sounds like a pretty good deal for $100, but I'm concerned what the quality is like, since this is almost certainly not legitimate. I searched on the internet, but I wasn't able to find any reviews or information about this set. I'm interested in what the audio and video is like, and how good the English subtitles are. Also, if these are the remastered versions or not.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

23 minutes ago, bpstrat said:

Does anyone know anything about this 6 disk blu-ray set I saw on eBay:

Super Dimension Fortress Macross Bluray Box 1-36 + Movie & OVA ENGLISH SUB A/US

It says it has English subtitles for the original Macross TV series, the DYRL movie, Macross II and some other extras. It sounds like a pretty good deal for $100, but I'm concerned what the quality is like, since this is almost certainly not legitimate. I searched on the internet, but I wasn't able to find any reviews or information about this set. I'm interested in what the audio and video is like, and how good the English subtitles are. Also, if these are the remastered versions or not.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Oh yeah, that's a bootleg.  Almost certainly a fansub burned to Blu-ray, and the sheer number of episodes they're getting into six discs suggests the quality is going to be pretty poor.  The only way to tell for sure of the quality would be to watch it and see what fansub was used though.

The legit Super Dimension Fortress Macross Blu-rays were just the TV series, with DYRL? and Flashback 2012 as a separate set, and Macross II as another separate set, and none of 'em had English subs.

17 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Oh yeah, that's a bootleg.  Almost certainly a fansub burned to Blu-ray, and the sheer number of episodes they're getting into six discs suggests the quality is going to be pretty poor.  The only way to tell for sure of the quality would be to watch it and see what fansub was used though.

The legit Super Dimension Fortress Macross Blu-rays were just the TV series, with DYRL? and Flashback 2012 as a separate set, and Macross II as another separate set, and none of 'em had English subs.

Any word on if an official BluRay set of the TV series or DYRL is coming here stateside?

1 hour ago, isamu said:

Any word on if an official BluRay set of the TV series or DYRL is coming here stateside?

No; because f#ck harmony gold:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmony_Gold_USA#Legal_issues_regarding_Macross_copyright

Edited by spacemanoeuvres

7 hours ago, isamu said:

As a rule, no... if you want Macross on Blu-ray you'll have to import it from Japan.

The prevailing legal situation being what it is, it's unlikely that there will be any Macross Blu-rays from western distributors.  (In the event You-Know-Who tried to put one out, it'd only be an upsampling of their 480 DVD remaster.)

13 hours ago, isamu said:

WOW. Unfortunate. Looks like this situation will remain in limbo until my (non existent)grand kids have grand kids!

Look at you, you big sunny optimist 

Frank Agrama CCIV will be stubbornly hanging on to the exclusive rights to the Macross name even then! :p

Thanks for all of the input. I think I'll just hunt down the Animeigo Macross DVDs and start getting the Japanese Blu-Rays rather than get a questionable bootleg. It sounds like using the fansub files for the BDs is the way to go to have English subs. Thanks again!

Edited by bpstrat